Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Musicals 11:07 - May 29 with 5376 viewsqprxtc

Are crap. Each and every one.

What’s the point of them? The film starts, has a story, moves along then next thing people are jumping about, singing, dancing, doing all sorts. Then stop and back to the story, which is normally cobblers.

Gave up on La bloody La Land after they all started dancing on top of their cars at the start.

It’s either one or the other. Music or film. Paint Your Wagon wasted Clint and Lee Marvin. They could have made a Point Blank/Dirty Harry type thing and ended up talking to trees under wandrin stars. Flip a duck.

I got dragged along to a song along The Sound of Music once with the Mrs and my mate and his Mrs. We were the only blokes there.

No musical has ever been any good. And that’s a fact.

Musicals on 11:11 - May 29 with 2479 viewsTacticalR

Agreed. They used to bore me stiff yet somehow fill me with horror.

Air hostess clique

Musicals on 11:22 - May 29 with 2441 viewsloftboy

Only ever been to two, starlight express about thirty years ago and more recently Bat out of Hell, both watchable but wouldn’t want to see them twice.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Musicals on 11:37 - May 29 with 2426 viewsCiderwithRsie

Felt exactly the same about La La Land, turned it off before the end of the first scene.

There are exceptions. "Cabaret" maybe cheats by being a musical about people who sing and dance in a night club but is brilliant IMO.

This scene is perfectly realistic, has a great song and is really scary (in context)

Musicals on 12:02 - May 29 with 2392 viewsMrSheen

I got to 40 being able to completely ignore them, but if you've got daughters, they are impossible to avoid. I've seen too many to count, at home on the box and doing my duty at school halls, you eventually pick out a few favourites from the rest. Awful - Les Miserables, Glee, Annie, Rocky Horror, Matilda. Good fun - High School Musical, Chicago, Sister Act (no, really!).
Musicals on 12:02 - May 29 with 2391 viewsTheChef

Agreed.

Unfortunately the wife loves them.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Musicals on 12:13 - May 29 with 2379 viewsMick_S

Cheer up, this is beautiful.

Bugsy Malone was ok.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Musicals on 12:18 - May 29 with 2368 viewsCiderwithRsie

Musicals on 12:02 - May 29 by MrSheen

I got to 40 being able to completely ignore them, but if you've got daughters, they are impossible to avoid. I've seen too many to count, at home on the box and doing my duty at school halls, you eventually pick out a few favourites from the rest. Awful - Les Miserables, Glee, Annie, Rocky Horror, Matilda. Good fun - High School Musical, Chicago, Sister Act (no, really!).

Chicago has good songs and dance if you like that stuff and the advantage of a plot that stood up as a straight comedy (Roxie Hart - Ginger Rogers excellent, brilliant cameo by Phil Silvers).

Can't agree on Rocky Horror, another of the exceptions IMO. Bursting into song doesn't strain credibility when you already have a Transylvanian transvestite living in a castle in middle America and Meatloaf bursting through the wall on a motorbike. Return to Forbidden Planet is a laugh too.
Musicals on 12:20 - May 29 with 2363 viewsCiderwithRsie

Login to get fewer ads

Musicals on 12:25 - May 29 with 2358 viewsqprxtc

Musicals on 12:13 - May 29 by Mick_S

Cheer up, this is beautiful.

Bugsy Malone was ok.

Blimey, forgot about Bugsy Malone. I loved that as a kid!

Team America was good. Was it a musical though?
Musicals on 12:43 - May 29 with 2336 viewsHantsR

My parents were mad about musicals - we saw every one that came out in the 50s and early 60s, and although I generally didn't care for them, I found that I learned so many songs subliminally by heart. Doctor, please help me! However, the only film worth a shout in those days was South Pacific. Mitzi Gaynor adorable and a great performer. On stage, and later on in life, I was really knocked out watching Hair in 1968. Later on J C Superstar was a memorable album. In more mature years I enjoyed Evita then in 1980s and two fantastic NT performances of Carousel and Oklahoma in 1990s.

Saturday Night Fever a truly great film.

Les mis? Phantom? Naah. Indeed almost anything else I agree with OP
Musicals on 12:54 - May 29 with 2325 viewsWokingR

I'm not having this.
Yes, like anything, there are some crap ones but, a decent musical is brilliant.
You can't beat being able to watch a good film and have a proper sing a long at the same time.
Musicals on 13:03 - May 29 with 2311 viewsTacticalR

Musicals on 11:37 - May 29 by CiderwithRsie

Felt exactly the same about La La Land, turned it off before the end of the first scene.

There are exceptions. "Cabaret" maybe cheats by being a musical about people who sing and dance in a night club but is brilliant IMO.

This scene is perfectly realistic, has a great song and is really scary (in context)

One thing about that song is that it seems to have a certain theory of fascism behind it. You know how it is...you pop down to the Bierkeller...and before you know it your right arm begins to twitch and you're singing the Horst Wessel Song.

Air hostess clique

Musicals on 13:04 - May 29 with 2309 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Inside Llewellyn Davis is one of my favourite films from the last 10 years. Not sure if you would class it as a musical. More a film about musicians and the music industry.

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory? Agree about the start of La La Land. I thought what the hell am I watching and nearly switched off but didn’t mind it after that. Saw a Star is Born last year and seem to remember liking it.

Edit- Also the more recent version of Les Miserable was quite watchable.
[Post edited 29 May 2020 13:05]

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Musicals on 13:04 - May 29 with 2304 viewsDevon_4_England

Avenue Q is decent
Musicals on 13:09 - May 29 with 2295 viewsMick_S

Musicals on 12:54 - May 29 by WokingR

I'm not having this.
Yes, like anything, there are some crap ones but, a decent musical is brilliant.
You can't beat being able to watch a good film and have a proper sing a long at the same time.

I'm with you.

Musicals on 13:17 - May 29 with 2272 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Musicals on 13:04 - May 29 by CliveWilsonSaid

Inside Llewellyn Davis is one of my favourite films from the last 10 years. Not sure if you would class it as a musical. More a film about musicians and the music industry.

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory? Agree about the start of La La Land. I thought what the hell am I watching and nearly switched off but didn’t mind it after that. Saw a Star is Born last year and seem to remember liking it.

Edit- Also the more recent version of Les Miserable was quite watchable.
[Post edited 29 May 2020 13:05]

Fine film.

The distinction I make, rightly or wrongly, is that in a musical people start singing when they could be talking the dialogue. And I hate those kind of musicals. Films/shows with good music, ok. But not ones where they're singing the chat.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Musicals on 13:20 - May 29 with 2267 viewsDannyPaddox

This one gets me every time ...

Musicals on 13:31 - May 29 with 2246 viewsMick_S

Musicals on 13:20 - May 29 by DannyPaddox

Is that Tony Blair 10 seconds in?

Musicals on 13:32 - May 29 with 2239 viewsBoston

I quite like that West 12 Story.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Musicals on 13:33 - May 29 with 2240 viewsMick_S

Musicals on 13:20 - May 29 by DannyPaddox

F'kin' hell!!!!!!

That's nuts.

Musicals on 13:34 - May 29 with 2233 viewsderbyhoop

Musicals on 11:37 - May 29 by CiderwithRsie

I agree with the general thrust but there are rare exceptions.
Cabaret is certainly one of them and this song is chilling, when you know what is coming afterwards.
Chicago is not bad.

But Mrs dragged me to see Blood Brothers. One song repeated time after time, with different words.
She also persuaded me to see Phantom of the Opera in New York. Dreadful storyline made worse by screechy singing.
And, finally, got persuaded to the film version of Les Miserables. Who let Russell Crowe sing? Good story line ruined by continual drift into musical pap. Why not read the book? You can even get English translations.

As you can tell, the Mrs quite likes musicals and I am a real hero for putting up with her to keep the peace.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Musicals on 13:35 - May 29 with 2229 viewsjohann28

Agree. But are exceptions to the rule.

Worst

Les Miserables
Mamma Mia
LIon king
Anything by Andrew Lloyd Webber except Evita
Wicked

Exceptions

Cabaret
Wizard of oz
Rocky horror
Evita
West Side Story
Musicals on 13:36 - May 29 with 2227 viewsrobith

Les Mis rules
Musicals on 13:36 - May 29 with 2225 viewsEsox_Lucius

Films, Music, Books, Musicals etc. everyone has different tastes and no-one is right or wrong.

The grass is always greener.

Musicals on 13:42 - May 29 with 2219 viewsjohann28

Musicals on 13:36 - May 29 by Esox_Lucius

Films, Music, Books, Musicals etc. everyone has different tastes and no-one is right or wrong.

Really? So, if someone says Harry Potter is 'better ' than Tolstoy? The Spice Girls 'b better than Mozart? All a matter of taste?
[Post edited 29 May 2020 13:43]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024