Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Charlie Austin and new strikers 16:12 - Jun 3 with 5253 viewsGloucs_R

Would you take him back next season?

Seems to still have a soft spot for us and get the impression he's not settled at WBA. Could see him being released on a free.
[Post edited 4 Jun 2020 7:19]

Poll: Warburton, What's next?

Charlie Austin on 16:16 - Jun 3 with 2966 viewsdaveB

doubt they will release him on a free, paid a few million for him and had another year left on his deal. Plus they are likely to go up so doubt he will want to leave
Charlie Austin on 16:17 - Jun 3 with 2963 viewsstevec

Told that was going to happen, though the last 3 months might have changed that.
Charlie Austin on 16:18 - Jun 3 with 2962 viewsGloucs_R

Charlie Austin on 16:16 - Jun 3 by daveB

doubt they will release him on a free, paid a few million for him and had another year left on his deal. Plus they are likely to go up so doubt he will want to leave

If you follow him on Twitter, you sense that his heart isn't in it..... At West Bromwich anyway.

Poll: Warburton, What's next?

Charlie Austin on 16:23 - Jun 3 with 2939 viewsdaveB

Charlie Austin on 16:18 - Jun 3 by Gloucs_R

If you follow him on Twitter, you sense that his heart isn't in it..... At West Bromwich anyway.

Given his injury record in recent years, lack of goals this season and wage demands, I'll pass to be honest
Charlie Austin on 16:31 - Jun 3 with 2908 viewsBrianMcCarthy

No. Injury prone and his wages would almost certainly be too high.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Charlie Austin on 16:33 - Jun 3 with 2892 viewsRANGERS4EVER

Not that it is possible, but even if it was think it would end in disaster. Have to admit when i watched him this season he seemed disinterested in football completely

Poll: Who would you most like to see at QPR?

Charlie Austin on 16:39 - Jun 3 with 2866 viewsDannytheR

Rather have a 20th anniversary reunion season with Crouchinho.
Charlie Austin on 16:42 - Jun 3 with 2843 viewsBoston

Charlie’s past his checkpoint.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Login to get fewer ads

Charlie Austin on 16:44 - Jun 3 with 2834 viewsToast_R

Austin for the past year looks overweight and knackered.
Charlie Austin on 17:16 - Jun 3 with 2757 viewsrobith

Love what he did for us, but

a) never go back
b) he clearly only cares about the gee gees these days
c) his relationship with the fans here got pretty nasty towards the end. Not sure it'll be a happy ever after tale
Charlie Austin on 17:23 - Jun 3 with 2735 viewsthehat

Not for me the ship has sailed

Far to rich now and won't have the hunger - Too old and injury prone too.

Give Oteh a go or look lower league or even use the loan system again.
Charlie Austin on 17:25 - Jun 3 with 2725 viewsAntti_Heinola

Charlie Austin on 17:16 - Jun 3 by robith

Love what he did for us, but

a) never go back
b) he clearly only cares about the gee gees these days
c) his relationship with the fans here got pretty nasty towards the end. Not sure it'll be a happy ever after tale

Love Austin, always will, but we're a different animal now, so not for me. Would love us to keep our current number 9 to be honest.

But you can go back. Thank God we did with Kev. And Lee Cook. And Danny Shittu did ok second time around. Mackie also, if not to his original greatness.

Bare bones.

Charlie Austin on 17:34 - Jun 3 with 2692 viewsDannytheR

Charlie Austin on 17:25 - Jun 3 by Antti_Heinola

Love Austin, always will, but we're a different animal now, so not for me. Would love us to keep our current number 9 to be honest.

But you can go back. Thank God we did with Kev. And Lee Cook. And Danny Shittu did ok second time around. Mackie also, if not to his original greatness.

Raise you Nigel Quashie - such a beast of a player for us first time round - coming back under Paladini appearing to weigh about 17 stone and repeatedly passing the ball into touch as we got turned over 5-0.
Charlie Austin on 17:36 - Jun 3 with 2692 viewsNorthernr

Unless his spot is soft enough to accept about a fifth of his current salary it's probably a non-starter.
Charlie Austin on 17:43 - Jun 3 with 2659 viewswood_hoop

Charlie Austin on 16:31 - Jun 3 by BrianMcCarthy

No. Injury prone and his wages would almost certainly be too high.

ditto
Charlie Austin on 18:08 - Jun 3 with 2586 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Surely we’re done with big time Charlies?

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Charlie Austin on 20:08 - Jun 3 with 2423 viewsTripleR

No.
He looked over-weight and disinterested in our home game against WBA. His "sprint" for a loose ball against our BFG Leistner was like watching the game in slow motion, best part of a miserable match.
Charlie Austin on 20:39 - Jun 3 with 2344 viewsNorthernr

For all the straight 'nos', fair enough, some perfectly valid reasons given, and like I say money makes it a non-starter, but...

We're a couple of weeks away, again, from our strikers being:
Oteh.

We've relied for two seasons now on loaning strikers, for all the reasons we've done to death before. This season we've done brilliantly well with that. I mean Hugill has done a real hard effort for us, playing as it turned out through a very painful injury for quite a lot of it, but to get Wells on top of that was incredible. I'd say the chances of being able to get two like that, in that form, again would be very hard. Previous season we had Hemed, who started well, disappeared for four months with a similar injury to the one Hugill played through, came back and didn't look arsd, and Wells who started well and then also looked like his mind was on his next move for the last few months.

It's a real game of chance, and it also means you don't tend to get your strikers until right at the end of the window. Probably not an issue now but next season was meant to start first weekend in August with transfer window end of August, which would have meant us playing half a dozen games without a completed squad, and we know how that went for Shteve.

I guess what I'm saying is would you have Austin over Hugill and Wells? Nah. Would you have him over Hemed? Yeh. And we don't know what we'll be getting next season, so it might not be such a hard no down the line.
Charlie Austin on 21:53 - Jun 3 with 2245 viewsLblock

Concur with the above over Hugill - a player I've always rated. To hear he's willing to put it in when injured speaks volumes for him and another load of positive capital for him in my book.
Which gets me onto Charlie... (I'll be up all night)

Amazing how "in the right frame of mind and attitude" certain players injury prone at one club suddenly become made of old boots in another club under a different regime.
Just sayin like

I'd love him back. Natural born goal scores score goals.
End of.

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Charlie Austin on 22:11 - Jun 3 with 2199 viewskensalriser

If we think he's fit enough and is within our wage budget, sure. If not, he's no different to any other player we might or might not be interested in. As the disclaimer goes, past performance is not necessarily indicative of future performance.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Charlie Austin on 22:37 - Jun 3 with 2153 viewsAntti_Heinola

Charlie Austin on 17:34 - Jun 3 by DannytheR

Raise you Nigel Quashie - such a beast of a player for us first time round - coming back under Paladini appearing to weigh about 17 stone and repeatedly passing the ball into touch as we got turned over 5-0.

Er... yes mate. My point was never 'yes, always go back under all circumstances.'

Bare bones.

Charlie Austin on 22:46 - Jun 3 with 2125 viewsJigsore

Austin likely only joined us because he failed that medical at Hull. Another stroke of luck, bar his shoulder falling apart midway through the Zamora season, was we actually sold him while he was still relatively fit and available. Albeit not for much. Usually we're the mugs who buy the Austin Southampton got.

with all that luck going our way already not sure why you'd take a gamble on him!

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

Charlie Austin on 22:49 - Jun 3 with 2110 views2Thomas2Bowles

WBA second top score

Best on mins played per goal

Charlie Austin
132 mins per goal

1185 Mins played

9Goals scored

1 Assists

Shots on target Total 62% 21 Total 34

Not finished yet but just can't see it for lots of reasons

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Charlie Austin on 23:00 - Jun 3 with 2107 viewsrsonist

Charlie Austin on 22:46 - Jun 3 by Jigsore

Austin likely only joined us because he failed that medical at Hull. Another stroke of luck, bar his shoulder falling apart midway through the Zamora season, was we actually sold him while he was still relatively fit and available. Albeit not for much. Usually we're the mugs who buy the Austin Southampton got.

with all that luck going our way already not sure why you'd take a gamble on him!

Gary Hooper was our first choice at the time too.
Charlie Austin on 00:04 - Jun 4 with 2020 viewsdistortR

Charlie Austin on 20:39 - Jun 3 by Northernr

For all the straight 'nos', fair enough, some perfectly valid reasons given, and like I say money makes it a non-starter, but...

We're a couple of weeks away, again, from our strikers being:
Oteh.

We've relied for two seasons now on loaning strikers, for all the reasons we've done to death before. This season we've done brilliantly well with that. I mean Hugill has done a real hard effort for us, playing as it turned out through a very painful injury for quite a lot of it, but to get Wells on top of that was incredible. I'd say the chances of being able to get two like that, in that form, again would be very hard. Previous season we had Hemed, who started well, disappeared for four months with a similar injury to the one Hugill played through, came back and didn't look arsd, and Wells who started well and then also looked like his mind was on his next move for the last few months.

It's a real game of chance, and it also means you don't tend to get your strikers until right at the end of the window. Probably not an issue now but next season was meant to start first weekend in August with transfer window end of August, which would have meant us playing half a dozen games without a completed squad, and we know how that went for Shteve.

I guess what I'm saying is would you have Austin over Hugill and Wells? Nah. Would you have him over Hemed? Yeh. And we don't know what we'll be getting next season, so it might not be such a hard no down the line.

i'd forgotten all about us only having one striker of our own.

ouch.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024