Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hall offski? 13:35 - Jun 10 with 21926 viewsDieByYourSide

Interesting one. Didn't realise he was a big earner, not sure how high he has his heights set but can't imagine him being a starter for anyone much better than us.

Not good news short term for the rest of the season if he's got his eye on not getting injured. How confident would we be of Masterson stepping up to fill his shoes?

Poll: And it's hi ho

Hall offski? on 15:55 - Jun 10 with 2836 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Hall offski? on 15:45 - Jun 10 by kensalriser

Unless he's planning to send it to Eton shortly I can't see what having a kid has to do with it.

It’s a very worn piece of PR fluff footballers use to make us think of them as anything other than greedy unscrupulous bastewards. Chery did the same thing before he went to China for a squillion pound a week. I think his one was feeding his family in Suriname or something.

Wish they would just be honest and say the money is better and leave it at that. I don’t think fans really get uptight about these things anymore.
Hall offski? on 16:11 - Jun 10 with 2798 viewsNorthernr

Hall offski? on 15:55 - Jun 10 by BazzaInTheLoft

It’s a very worn piece of PR fluff footballers use to make us think of them as anything other than greedy unscrupulous bastewards. Chery did the same thing before he went to China for a squillion pound a week. I think his one was feeding his family in Suriname or something.

Wish they would just be honest and say the money is better and leave it at that. I don’t think fans really get uptight about these things anymore.

My absolute favourite one in this genre was David Stockdale turning down the chance to go into the Premier League with Brighton, having been first choice for the whole of their promotion winning season, to instead move to Birmingham City at the other end of the Championship on one of Harry Redknapp's special three-year contracts. Came out and said it was nothing to do with money, but it was time to focus on his family rather than football, he'd uprooted them too often in the past and his daughter had exams coming up that she needed to focus on.

Now quite apart from whether the schools are substantially better in Birmingham than Sussex, and whether that's even relevent when you're rich enough to send your kids to whatever school you like, David Stockdale was 30 at the time so even if he'd got on it nice and early and punched this kid out as a 16 year old, the only exams his daughter could possibly have had coming up were the oh so crucial Year 9 SATS.

And on the subject of uprooting his family, he'd been in West London with Fulham for six years, and then commutable Brighton for three years and was being offered a chance to stay in Brighton even longer still. Basically a decade in the same, very nice, part of the country. Instead, in the interests of not uprooting the family, he turns the contract down, makes a move he doesn't need to make, 175 miles away to Birmingham where he'd never played or lived before in his life and from where he's subsequently had no problem at all going out on loan to Southend, Wycombe, Coventry and Wycombe again, turning up to each loan in turn in a Rolls Royce - which I suspect is another clue to the true motives of the move.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Hall offski? on 16:22 - Jun 10 with 2759 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Hall offski? on 16:11 - Jun 10 by Northernr

My absolute favourite one in this genre was David Stockdale turning down the chance to go into the Premier League with Brighton, having been first choice for the whole of their promotion winning season, to instead move to Birmingham City at the other end of the Championship on one of Harry Redknapp's special three-year contracts. Came out and said it was nothing to do with money, but it was time to focus on his family rather than football, he'd uprooted them too often in the past and his daughter had exams coming up that she needed to focus on.

Now quite apart from whether the schools are substantially better in Birmingham than Sussex, and whether that's even relevent when you're rich enough to send your kids to whatever school you like, David Stockdale was 30 at the time so even if he'd got on it nice and early and punched this kid out as a 16 year old, the only exams his daughter could possibly have had coming up were the oh so crucial Year 9 SATS.

And on the subject of uprooting his family, he'd been in West London with Fulham for six years, and then commutable Brighton for three years and was being offered a chance to stay in Brighton even longer still. Basically a decade in the same, very nice, part of the country. Instead, in the interests of not uprooting the family, he turns the contract down, makes a move he doesn't need to make, 175 miles away to Birmingham where he'd never played or lived before in his life and from where he's subsequently had no problem at all going out on loan to Southend, Wycombe, Coventry and Wycombe again, turning up to each loan in turn in a Rolls Royce - which I suspect is another clue to the true motives of the move.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Brilliant.

Another Cracker:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/funny_old_game/4136891.stm
Hall offski? on 16:59 - Jun 10 with 2648 viewsJuzzie

Get really narked about people saying that players have to 'maximise their earnings' because they've had a kid or whatever.

Fk me, even a bang average level 2 footballers earns more in a week than I'll earn in many months. And I don't subscribe to this "it's a short career" bollox too. A 3 year contract on £10k a week nets you £1.5million pounds. Yes, there's a higher rate of tax etc but even just one contract and you're pretty much sorted if you don't gamble, drink, whore, snort it away.
Get a house, mortgage free, and if you do get a career ending injury you can survive doing a normal job and not have to worry about the mortgage each month.
Hall offski? on 17:03 - Jun 10 with 2641 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Generally, I've no problem with players making as much money as they can.

As long as

a) they've earned it by working hard on the pitch and training ground,
b) shown reasonable loyalty (that'll do) and
c) they don't patronise us when they want to leave

Hall's ok on all fronts as far as I know.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Hall offski? on 17:24 - Jun 10 with 2611 viewsjoe90

Given our current position and the where we want the club to go we should let Hall go. No disrespect to him.

I think we'd be an attractive option for young talented players in London. We offer a path way to first team football and are bringing up young players that kids in London can relate to and respect.

Someone we should be looking at for example is Fankaty Dabo who plays for Coventry. I think a player like that would fit in well at QPR. Someone like Robinson who played for Liverpool will have absolutely no interest in a club like QPR, we need to be getting in players from in and around London.
Hall offski? on 17:38 - Jun 10 with 2577 viewsrsonist

Hall offski? on 17:24 - Jun 10 by joe90

Given our current position and the where we want the club to go we should let Hall go. No disrespect to him.

I think we'd be an attractive option for young talented players in London. We offer a path way to first team football and are bringing up young players that kids in London can relate to and respect.

Someone we should be looking at for example is Fankaty Dabo who plays for Coventry. I think a player like that would fit in well at QPR. Someone like Robinson who played for Liverpool will have absolutely no interest in a club like QPR, we need to be getting in players from in and around London.

We got Masterson from Liverpool...
Hall offski? on 17:50 - Jun 10 with 2551 viewsRangersDave

Needs to be offered a 'pay as you play' deal, as no one that injury prone is worth more than a basic wage of say 2k per week, the rest coming form paying bonuses.

In fact if push came to shove, i'd show him the door.

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Login to get fewer ads

Hall offski? on 18:34 - Jun 10 with 2473 viewspaulparker

I trust warburtons judgement if he thinks Hall is worth another season he will give him a go
Bar injury Hall could have been worth at least 3-4 million to us , that sweeper holding midfielder role he had under Holloway suited him and he was our best player in that period
Also Leinster said he isn’t coming back So that will be another 15k a week saved ,
There’s going to be a lot of players available pretty soon hopefully we have our irons in the fire

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Hall offski? on 18:37 - Jun 10 with 2472 viewsderbyhoop

We know Leistner won't be coming back. If we lose Hall as well, we're going to have to do some serious recruitment. Nobody would want to go into a Championship season reliant on Barbet and Masterson, for a position where injuries and suspensions are par for the course.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Hall offski? on 19:07 - Jun 10 with 2404 viewsdistortR

Hall offski? on 15:55 - Jun 10 by BazzaInTheLoft

absolutely.
I wish the venal, money grabbing, mercenary bastards the best in all they do.

Hall offski? on 19:08 - Jun 10 with 2404 viewseastside_r

Hall offski? on 18:37 - Jun 10 by derbyhoop

We know Leistner won't be coming back. If we lose Hall as well, we're going to have to do some serious recruitment. Nobody would want to go into a Championship season reliant on Barbet and Masterson, for a position where injuries and suspensions are par for the course.

On this point, what's the situation with Cameron? By no means a long-term solution at CB, but could surely provide cover for this short mini-season.

Also he seems to be ahead of Hall in the defensive midfield role that Holloway used Hall in. I quite liked Hall there FWIW.
Hall offski? on 19:25 - Jun 10 with 2363 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Hall offski? on 19:08 - Jun 10 by eastside_r

On this point, what's the situation with Cameron? By no means a long-term solution at CB, but could surely provide cover for this short mini-season.

Also he seems to be ahead of Hall in the defensive midfield role that Holloway used Hall in. I quite liked Hall there FWIW.

Yes Barbet has hardly played since winter so he should be good to go. So one of Cameron, Masterson and Ball in the other CB place I guess. Which leaves us a bit short in midfield of course.

We're probably not going up are we

Yes always quite liked Hall too. Calm head in a madhouse but far from irreplaceable I'd have thought.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Hall offski? on 19:42 - Jun 10 with 2341 viewsNorthernr

Hall offski? on 18:37 - Jun 10 by derbyhoop

If you wanted to look at it positively that's two fairly standard Championship centre backs going out and freeing up a big chunk of wage in the process for us to use on some of the 1,400 free agents I keep hearing all about this summer. I don't want to be unkind to either, because I quite like both Hall and Leistner, and if they both ended up staying I wouldn't be unhappy, but centre backs don't tend to be in short supply and don't tend to command enormous wages so if we can't find the equal or better of Hall and Leistner, even allowing for less spend, then we really ought to be asking questions of the scouting.
Hall offski? on 19:48 - Jun 10 with 2323 viewsjoe90

Hall offski? on 17:38 - Jun 10 by rsonist

We got Masterson from Liverpool...

Rsonist, that is a very good and well made point.
Hall offski? on 19:53 - Jun 10 with 2308 viewsAntti_Heinola

Hall offski? on 16:59 - Jun 10 by Juzzie

Get really narked about people saying that players have to 'maximise their earnings' because they've had a kid or whatever.

Fk me, even a bang average level 2 footballers earns more in a week than I'll earn in many months. And I don't subscribe to this "it's a short career" bollox too. A 3 year contract on £10k a week nets you £1.5million pounds. Yes, there's a higher rate of tax etc but even just one contract and you're pretty much sorted if you don't gamble, drink, whore, snort it away.
Get a house, mortgage free, and if you do get a career ending injury you can survive doing a normal job and not have to worry about the mortgage each month.

This kind of stuff I kind of semi agree with, but there's far more egregious stuff going on in businesses up and down the country than footbalelrs getting paid well. They seem to take a lot of the flak. I'd like to see how some of us deal with earning big bucks at 21. Remember what you were like at 21?
It's a waste of energy. You are worth what someone is willing to pay you. and it works both ways. Clubs want the cheapest deal they can get and will soon ship players out if they're not good enough.

Bare bones.

Hall offski? on 20:03 - Jun 10 with 2279 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Hall offski? on 19:53 - Jun 10 by Antti_Heinola

This kind of stuff I kind of semi agree with, but there's far more egregious stuff going on in businesses up and down the country than footbalelrs getting paid well. They seem to take a lot of the flak. I'd like to see how some of us deal with earning big bucks at 21. Remember what you were like at 21?
It's a waste of energy. You are worth what someone is willing to pay you. and it works both ways. Clubs want the cheapest deal they can get and will soon ship players out if they're not good enough.

This.

I would be dead.

System needs a whole overhaul to be honest. Can’t blame people for taking a wage though.
[Post edited 10 Jun 2020 20:14]
Hall offski? on 20:38 - Jun 10 with 2203 viewsderbyhoop

Hall offski? on 19:42 - Jun 10 by Northernr

If you wanted to look at it positively that's two fairly standard Championship centre backs going out and freeing up a big chunk of wage in the process for us to use on some of the 1,400 free agents I keep hearing all about this summer. I don't want to be unkind to either, because I quite like both Hall and Leistner, and if they both ended up staying I wouldn't be unhappy, but centre backs don't tend to be in short supply and don't tend to command enormous wages so if we can't find the equal or better of Hall and Leistner, even allowing for less spend, then we really ought to be asking questions of the scouting.

I don't think I'll be losing sleep either. Especially if we can pick up the sort of players we did last Summer, for similar wages to what we paid the recent recruits.

But, I wouldn't want to be relying on Wells, Kefalis (sic!), Gubbins and Carlyle to fill the gaps at Championship level.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Hall offski? on 21:02 - Jun 10 with 2153 viewsdistortR

Hall offski? on 20:38 - Jun 10 by derbyhoop

I don't think I'll be losing sleep either. Especially if we can pick up the sort of players we did last Summer, for similar wages to what we paid the recent recruits.

But, I wouldn't want to be relying on Wells, Kefalis (sic!), Gubbins and Carlyle to fill the gaps at Championship level.

weren't the u23's trialling some enormous centre back before lockdown?
And what about the Danish forward?

There, all our problems sorted.

Just thank uncle Gus.

Or, judging by my trainers, uncool Gus.
Hall offski? on 21:07 - Jun 10 with 2145 viewsLazyFan

I have said BFG and Hall need to be let go. Decent players but too expensive. We have Masteron and Barbet. Thus we need two more CB's for coverage as know how our CB's always seem to get injured during the season.

We also need a RB, which according to the gossip rags we are looking at one of Warbs old freebies. This leaves us some cash for buying that rarity a forward.

This before we have sold our prize assets of Eze, BOS and the one people have forgotten about Manning.

zzzzzzzzzz

Hall offski? on 21:37 - Jun 10 with 2091 viewsDevonWhite

We'd miss his goal threat as much as anything. He must have got 5 or 6 so far this season which is very decent for a CB. Agree with the consensus though, he's not worth paying over the odds to keep hold of.

Isn't Joe Gubbins quite highly rated? Maybe he'd be ok for back up next season.
Hall offski? on 21:40 - Jun 10 with 2080 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Hall offski? on 21:37 - Jun 10 by DevonWhite

We'd miss his goal threat as much as anything. He must have got 5 or 6 so far this season which is very decent for a CB. Agree with the consensus though, he's not worth paying over the odds to keep hold of.

Isn't Joe Gubbins quite highly rated? Maybe he'd be ok for back up next season.

Gubbins got a run-out today, I see. Smeg would know if he's likely to be ready for that back-up role.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Hall offski? on 22:56 - Jun 10 with 1926 viewskarl

Hall offski? on 21:40 - Jun 10 by BrianMcCarthy

Gubbins got a run-out today, I see. Smeg would know if he's likely to be ready for that back-up role.

Wallace played a game(s) in the middle I think, if Hall is unavailable then him and Ball could offer cover with Haamilainen covering LB till the end of this season, full time cover would probably be easier to get after then.
Hall offski? on 23:31 - Jun 10 with 1883 viewsqpr1976

Given the choice of upping our offer to Hall or using a similar amount to persuade BOS or Manning or Eze to sign a years extension. I’d go for the latter.
Hall will go for Free or peanuts, whereas Any of the other 3 would command considerably more. IMO
Hall offski? on 00:26 - Jun 11 with 1846 viewsQPR_Jim

I like Hall but as others have said we've got Barbet and Masterson. He's too often unavailable for a position where you want a consistent partnership.

I'd like to see us go for Alfie Jones from Southampton, been on loan at Gillingham plays CB or CM. Looks composed on the ball and decent defensively, only 22 and I would imagine he'd be at a similar level to Hall when he joined us.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024