Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Trout Mask Replica 22:20 - Jun 11 with 2020 viewsqprxtc

I played that today for the first time in years.

When I first bought it, I thought it was the biggest pile of incoherent bollocks I’d ever heard. But I kept with it and after a few (quite a few) plays it began to make sense and squeezed some enjoyment out of it.

Now I’ve gone back to the original feeling that’s a big pile of incoherent bollocks. I don’t think I can bring myself to play it so many time again to get to like it all over again.

Elllla Guuuurruu...
Trout Mask Replica on 22:43 - Jun 11 with 1990 viewscolinallcars

Clear Spot is the most “accessible” Beefheart album. That's the best place to start, but I admit most of his stuff is too dissonant for most folks.
Another tricky band to get into is Henry Cow.
[Post edited 11 Jun 2020 22:45]
Trout Mask Replica on 22:43 - Jun 11 with 1990 viewsDannyPaddox

in a strangely strange echo of your return to Beefheart I played the first Fall LP today for the first time in yonks and I’m pleased to say it sounds as groovy today as it did then.

Mark E. Smith before the amphetamines destroyed his diphthongs.
Trout Mask Replica on 23:57 - Jun 11 with 1919 viewsSonofNorfolt

Beefheart is hard work, Zappa on the other hand....................

Trout Mask Replica on 00:06 - Jun 12 with 1914 viewsBrixtonR

I'm sure the draw people have made me the person I am. the person She adores us.
Trout Mask Replica on 11:08 - Jun 12 with 1814 viewsQPRSteve

Bloody hell Liam. You've actually listened to Captain Beefheart? Who'd have thought it?

Next you'll be telling me you given Gentle Giant a spin.
Trout Mask Replica on 12:08 - Jun 12 with 1782 viewsMrSheen

Trout Mask Replica on 22:43 - Jun 11 by DannyPaddox

in a strangely strange echo of your return to Beefheart I played the first Fall LP today for the first time in yonks and I’m pleased to say it sounds as groovy today as it did then.

Trout Mask Replica on 14:05 - Jun 12 with 1745 viewsR_from_afar

I gave Trout Mask Replica a go just now and struggled to get into it, to be honest. More persistence needed, more than likely.

This thread reminds me of when, massive Ozric Tentacles fan that I am, I bought their album "Arboresence" just after it came out. I played it straight through and thought: "Ugh, that was disappointing". I always use punctuation in my thoughts, by the way....

A few spins on and I was hooked to belters like this. Some of their best work is in there. The band have always larked about and not really taken themselves seriously and that and their crusty image means many people think they are naff and not worth bothering with but I am sure that if you stuck the name Porcupine Tree or Pink Floyd on one of their instrumentals, critics would rave about it and tell us that said bands were still touched by the muse. Hey ho. Oh, while I am here, some mental Krautrock from a very obscure outfit. It's like Quo on acid.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Trout Mask Replica on 14:13 - Jun 12 with 1738 viewsqprxtc

Trout Mask Replica on 11:08 - Jun 12 by QPRSteve

Bloody hell Liam. You've actually listened to Captain Beefheart? Who'd have thought it?

Next you'll be telling me you given Gentle Giant a spin.

Trying music beyond Swindon, Steve. Apparently it exists!

I bought, listened to and thoroughly enjoyed Caravans first album not so long back. So much so I immediately bought ‘In the Land of Grey and Pink’. Really good stuff.

Gentle Giant are just few steps away...
Login to get fewer ads

Trout Mask Replica on 14:38 - Jun 12 with 1722 viewsPeterHucker

Like you every couple of years I go back for another try with Trout Mask Replica, but still never really managed to get into it.
The only Beefheart album I really like is one called The Mirror Man Sessions that I first heard on a long and smoky car journey in Holland.

Zappa's back catalogue is a bit daunting just because of the sheer number of albums. I remember when I first left school and worked in HMV, the section for his records was the biggest in the shop!
Some of his stuff is a bit too twiddly-diddly prog jazz noodly up-its-own-arse for my tastes but I really like the orchestral album The Yellow Shark.
Trout Mask Replica on 14:39 - Jun 12 with 1718 viewsSonofNorfolt

Trout Mask Replica on 14:13 - Jun 12 by qprxtc

Trying music beyond Swindon, Steve. Apparently it exists!

I bought, listened to and thoroughly enjoyed Caravans first album not so long back. So much so I immediately bought ‘In the Land of Grey and Pink’. Really good stuff.

Gentle Giant are just few steps away...

Give King Crimson a go Liam.
The first album is superb and there are some great moments in the preceding years up until the early '80's line up with the Discipline and Beat albums which are excellent.
Trout Mask Replica on 14:57 - Jun 12 with 1712 viewsqprxtc

Trout Mask Replica on 14:39 - Jun 12 by SonofNorfolt

Give King Crimson a go Liam.
The first album is superb and there are some great moments in the preceding years up until the early '80's line up with the Discipline and Beat albums which are excellent.

Giving ‘In the Court....’ a spin right now Mel....
Trout Mask Replica on 13:27 - Jun 13 with 1595 viewstimcocking

Trout Mask Replica on 22:43 - Jun 11 by DannyPaddox

Trout Mask Replica on 14:43 - Jun 13 with 1565 viewsCaptainPugwash

They were quite good live - Beefheart good but band crap.LSE 1968.
Zappa,King Crimson different grade live.
Trout Mask Replica on 15:55 - Jun 13 with 1543 viewsSonofNorfolt

King Crimson meets Bowie and Talking Heads?

Trout Mask Replica on 01:36 - Jun 14 with 1451 viewsB_Wad

I found Shiny Beast to be the most accessible Beefheart album. Saw him perform it live. Tropical Hot Dog Night maybe the best Beefheart dance song.

Trout Mask Replica on 10:12 - Jun 14 with 1421 viewsCaptainPugwash

King Crimson esque Mellotron thingy...

[Post edited 14 Jun 2020 10:18]
Trout Mask Replica on 10:31 - Jun 14 with 1413 viewsCaptainPugwash

Trout Mask Replica on 11:31 - Jun 14 with 1379 viewsdistortR

Trout Mask Replica on 14:05 - Jun 12 by R_from_afar

I gave Trout Mask Replica a go just now and struggled to get into it, to be honest. More persistence needed, more than likely.

This thread reminds me of when, massive Ozric Tentacles fan that I am, I bought their album "Arboresence" just after it came out. I played it straight through and thought: "Ugh, that was disappointing". I always use punctuation in my thoughts, by the way....

A few spins on and I was hooked to belters like this. Some of their best work is in there. The band have always larked about and not really taken themselves seriously and that and their crusty image means many people think they are naff and not worth bothering with but I am sure that if you stuck the name Porcupine Tree or Pink Floyd on one of their instrumentals, critics would rave about it and tell us that said bands were still touched by the muse. Hey ho. Oh, while I am here, some mental Krautrock from a very obscure outfit. It's like Quo on acid.

so if you wrote a 'stream of consciousness' style book we'd be none the wiser.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024