Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
When Did You Know? 22:05 - Jun 18 with 3470 viewszicoshoops

Come on, when did you know?
That you was never going to be a professional footballer.

I knew at the age of thirteen.
I thought I was good enough playing for a District team.
Then we played another District team and I spent most of the match watching one of their forwards.............

Laurie Cunningham.

A million miles away from anyone else on the pitch.

A harsh lesson, but at least I learnt it early..

Still, I look on the bright side................If I had of made it......
Imagine all of the Alcohol I would have missed out on in my life.

What's going on?

We should be told

Sort it out
When Did You Know? on 22:12 - Jun 18 with 2751 viewsaston_hoop

I had to mark Sylvan Ebanks-Blake as a kid, hardly a world beater but I was rarely in the same postcode as him during the game....well I was never going to be a footballer anyway! On the plus side, I bet he regrets the moment he realised he wasn't going to work in IT. So have that Sylvan!

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

When Did You Know? on 22:24 - Jun 18 with 2714 viewszicoshoops

When Did You Know? on 22:12 - Jun 18 by aston_hoop

I had to mark Sylvan Ebanks-Blake as a kid, hardly a world beater but I was rarely in the same postcode as him during the game....well I was never going to be a footballer anyway! On the plus side, I bet he regrets the moment he realised he wasn't going to work in IT. So have that Sylvan!

Proper order Aston.
When Did You Know? on 22:28 - Jun 18 with 2699 viewsloftboy

When I played my first game for a proper team when I was ten, I was the keeper , we lost 19-0. In my defence (or lack of it) it was on a full size pitch and goals.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

When Did You Know? on 22:40 - Jun 18 with 2677 viewsA40Bosh

I think if I really had the desire and the heart at age 12-13 and stuck at it I might have had a shot at becoming a goalie. Who knows if I could have but when I was 15 I was nearly the 6’3 I am now and very agile.I know at that 13/14 I was considered to be good and played for the school first team. But the combination of living out in the sticks and attending an inner London school meant that my parents weren’t overly happy at me being gone all day Saturday because the away matches were in Wandsworth or Barnes etc and I also soon got fed up with it too.

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

When Did You Know? on 22:46 - Jun 18 with 2655 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I always knew.

If I could speak when born I could've told the midwife.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

When Did You Know? on 22:50 - Jun 18 with 2644 viewszicoshoops

When Did You Know? on 22:40 - Jun 18 by A40Bosh

I think if I really had the desire and the heart at age 12-13 and stuck at it I might have had a shot at becoming a goalie. Who knows if I could have but when I was 15 I was nearly the 6’3 I am now and very agile.I know at that 13/14 I was considered to be good and played for the school first team. But the combination of living out in the sticks and attending an inner London school meant that my parents weren’t overly happy at me being gone all day Saturday because the away matches were in Wandsworth or Barnes etc and I also soon got fed up with it too.

Barn Elms.
Before the Wetlands Center existed...................
Football Pitches, as far as the eye could see.
When Did You Know? on 22:51 - Jun 18 with 2639 viewszicoshoops

When Did You Know? on 22:46 - Jun 18 by BrianMcCarthy

I always knew.

If I could speak when born I could've told the midwife.

Quality Brian.
When Did You Know? on 22:58 - Jun 18 with 2631 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

I knew I was shit to average at Football my whole life. I used to day dream about being a footballer while I was doing my paper round though.

Craig Mackail-Smith however was in the same circle of friends as me. He was the most average footballer you could ever meet aged 15. He never touched a drink or got himself nicked, and he used to run to and from school and train in the park every night while much better players did all the wrong things like go on the piss three times a week. Everyone used to take the piss out of him for being a boring bastard and said he’d never make it.

He eventually signed for Dagenham and Redbridge and then onto Peterborough and Brighton everyone wanted to know him then. He is the epitome of a average footballer carving a career through pure hard work and dedication. Was gutted when he failed to sign for us under Warnock.
Login to get fewer ads

When Did You Know? on 09:40 - Jun 19 with 2509 viewsterryb

I didn't think I would be a professional & I achieved my ambition of playing for Chesham United.

I soon learnt that i din't like having to train twice a week & that I preferred to pay rather than be paid if that was part of the remit!

I went back to playing in the Wycombe Combination & at the age of 21 I found that I was on the radar of Luton Town. They were looking at myself and Viv Busby.

They made the right choice! Viv was the brother of Martin & played for Fulhan in the 1975 FA Cup final.

I always knew I was a nearly but not quite player!
When Did You Know? on 09:43 - Jun 19 with 2495 viewsLblock

When Did You Know? on 22:28 - Jun 18 by loftboy

When I played my first game for a proper team when I was ten, I was the keeper , we lost 19-0. In my defence (or lack of it) it was on a full size pitch and goals.

Yeah but..... I bet you watched the referee in awe and thought "jew know wot, I can kin do that"

And loh... a career in the C&DSFL was born..

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

When Did You Know? on 09:47 - Jun 19 with 2479 viewsLblock

I knew when my old man, Big Dave, put the ball away, stopped coaching me in the garden and said "you'd best knuckle down at school son"

I was about 7 I think

A lifetime of being shoite at every sport known to man beckoned.
I could run around and shout a lot but you're still always the last pick even if a team needed someone who could run around and shout a lot.

Music is my solace.

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

When Did You Know? on 09:58 - Jun 19 with 2450 viewsqprxtc

As soon as I ordered my first pint.
When Did You Know? on 10:03 - Jun 19 with 2437 viewsMickS

When my mates told me.
When Did You Know? on 10:04 - Jun 19 with 2430 viewsAntti_Heinola

When Did You Know? on 09:47 - Jun 19 by Lblock

I knew when my old man, Big Dave, put the ball away, stopped coaching me in the garden and said "you'd best knuckle down at school son"

I was about 7 I think

A lifetime of being shoite at every sport known to man beckoned.
I could run around and shout a lot but you're still always the last pick even if a team needed someone who could run around and shout a lot.

Music is my solace.

This explains much - hours to spare thinking up hilarious nicknames for footballers and managers ever since!

I think I was about 11 or so. But I remember writing, but not posting a forlorn letter to Gary Lineker when I was about 13 saying all I wanted to do was be a footballer, but everyone said I wasn't good enough and what could I do? Never posted because I knew the truth. I wasn't very good.

Bare bones.

When Did You Know? on 10:13 - Jun 19 with 2415 viewsKonk

When Did You Know? on 09:58 - Jun 19 by qprxtc

As soon as I ordered my first pint.

Aged 13, I’m waiting to come on as sub, the ref comes over to check my studs, and one of my best mates, stood on the other side of the pitch shouts across to our manager, “What the fuc k are you bringing him on for?”. Didn’t do much for my confidence. Since then I’ve always had a lot of sympathy for triers of limited ability!

I should add that I was/am still a very accurate passer, but have absolutely no turn of pace and treat shots like passes - straight to the keeper every time.
[Post edited 19 Jun 2020 10:18]

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

When Did You Know? on 10:19 - Jun 19 with 2401 viewsdaveB

I'm 44, overweight and was nutmegged by 11 year old son yesterday but I've still not accepted I won't make it
When Did You Know? on 10:53 - Jun 19 with 2345 viewsted_hendrix

I found out whilst in the army in Germany late Sixties, I thought I was pretty good tbh but never seemed to get picked for the Regiments games, whilst stood on the sidelines watching one of our games against another Regiment it started to dawn on me that our players were in fact a better standard than me so I had to swallow my pride and accept it.
So I took up boxing instead (wrong move) again I thought I was pretty good at boxing so I signed up for the Regiments boxing trials (fck me that was a mistake) I never lasted past the second of three rounds as the sergeant jumped in the ring and said words to the effect "look, thanks for trying but you've come up against a good opponent there".

(I coulda been a contender. I could've been somebody)

I've got a lot of respect for professional sports people, but it still doesn't stop me shouting *you useless bastard, even I could have made that pass, five fcking yards that's all and you still gave the ball away*

Great thread Mr Z

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

When Did You Know? on 10:58 - Jun 19 with 2331 viewsBoston

If the money was a bit better...

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

When Did You Know? on 11:03 - Jun 19 with 2331 viewsjoe90

It was the summer of 97 I had just joined a local team and was playing in goal. We played a pre-season friendly somewhere in Epsom, we lost 8-0. I still had hope. First game of the season we lost 8-0. All hope was gone.
When Did You Know? on 11:10 - Jun 19 with 2316 views2Thomas2Bowles

My agent says I should get an offer any day now...
[Post edited 19 Jun 2020 11:28]

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

When Did You Know? on 11:52 - Jun 19 with 2270 viewsMrSheen

Long after anyone else, about 7. I blame my parents, but as well as being incapable of seeing without a pair of Joe 90 glasses, I was the slowest thing in school, including the dinner ladies.
Transferred smoothly to goalkeeper. Not bad on tarmac with a tree overhanging the penalty area, a liability on grass.
My athletic career took off when I went to a rugby playing secondary school. As a half-blind fat lump with no co-ordination, balance or ball skills, I made an above-average prop forward.
[Post edited 19 Jun 2020 11:59]
When Did You Know? on 14:18 - Jun 19 with 2211 viewspeejaybee

At 13 had a trial for West London Boys,was told " we will be in touch".I am 82 now and still have not heard anything.?????????????????

If at first you dont succeed, pack up and f**k off home.

When Did You Know? on 14:29 - Jun 19 with 2195 viewsMoonshineSteve

When Did You Know? on 14:18 - Jun 19 by peejaybee

At 13 had a trial for West London Boys,was told " we will be in touch".I am 82 now and still have not heard anything.?????????????????

I wonder what happened.
[Post edited 19 Jun 2020 14:29]

I am still Steve but no longer in Dagenham.

When Did You Know? on 14:33 - Jun 19 with 2179 viewspeejaybee

When Did You Know? on 14:29 - Jun 19 by MoonshineSteve

I wonder what happened.
[Post edited 19 Jun 2020 14:29]

I think letter got lost in the post.

If at first you dont succeed, pack up and f**k off home.

When Did You Know? on 14:46 - Jun 19 with 2157 viewsBoston

When Did You Know? on 11:10 - Jun 19 by 2Thomas2Bowles

My agent says I should get an offer any day now...
[Post edited 19 Jun 2020 11:28]

Really, Mark Hughes is your agent?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024