Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Memories of the 83 promotion game 09:35 - Jun 29 with 1962 viewsNorthernr

May 83, Fulham at home to seal the promotion with Venables in charge. Anybody there? Memories of it?
Memories of the 83 promotion game on 09:52 - Jun 29 with 1931 viewshamptonhillhoop

I was there, sitting in the upper Loft as a 12 year old. I think we'd already been promoted by then. We just destroyed them 1st half and the game was over as a competition in what seemed like no time. Fulham really threw promotion away that season, although a win at Derby in the last game would have seen them go up as Leicester only drew. There was a massive pitch invasion near the end with Derby winning 1-0 and the game was never finished! Imagine that now
[Post edited 29 Jun 2020 9:52]
Memories of the 83 promotion game on 10:07 - Jun 29 with 1902 viewssuperhoopdownunder

I was there in the loft as a 12 year old
Big crowd (just checked 24,423)
We outplayed them and deserved to win 3-1 (Gregory, Sealy, Stainrod)
They had a player sent off near the end (Lewington)
Malcolm McDonald was their manager
Fortunately we had the best in Terry Venables
Police on the pitch after the game as fans ran on probably as we were Champions
U R’s

Highlights here
[Post edited 29 Jun 2020 10:16]
Memories of the 83 promotion game on 10:22 - Jun 29 with 1875 viewsCamberleyR

This was the day when QPR vs Fulham in division 2 drew a bigger crowd than Arsenal vs Man Utd in division 1.

https://www.11v11.com/matches/queens-park-rangers-v-fulham-02-may-1983-120728/

https://www.11v11.com/matches/arsenal-v-manchester-united-02-may-1983-86677/

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Memories of the 83 promotion game on 10:25 - Jun 29 with 1866 viewssuperhoopdownunder

Also shame Venables didn’t stay more than one more season
This interview covers Venables apparently taking over from Jim Gregory

Memories of the 83 promotion game on 10:28 - Jun 29 with 1852 viewsCamberleyR

Fulham's collapse that season was incredible. A month earlier from this game, with nine matches to play, Fulham were third and five points clear with a game in hand over Leicester although Leicester had a better GD. After this with two to play they were 4th level on points but it was out of their hands bar a huge swing in GD as they were 11 worse than Leicester.
[Post edited 29 Jun 2020 10:30]

Memories of the 83 promotion game on 10:55 - Jun 29 with 1813 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Also upper loft as a17 year old.

We were just nailed on for promotion all season, as were Fulham. But as we neared the finish line, the Rangers just got better and better, and games were pretty much in the bag after the ref blew to start the game.

My best mate at school was a Fulham fan, and I popped along to see them in the run in, going to Cambridge a few weeks before for a night game. You could sense it unraveling for them both on the pitch and it transmitted itself to the fans.

While everyone talks about the advantage gained from playing on plastic, but our away record never got the credit it deserved, and how good that collection of players were, was shown by the fact we were in with a shout of winning the old First Division with a few games to go the following season.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Memories of the 83 promotion game on 11:13 - Jun 29 with 1784 viewsSnipper

I was there in the paddock with 2 mates, one of them a Fulham fan. Smegma will know which one.
We came out firing, and it was over by half time. That team we had was special, and it deserved more credit than it got. We had I think 10 or 11 away wins that season. The best in the league.
We were confirmed as champions that day as Wolves drew 3-3. I think they were 3 up too, but that draw done it for us. The stadium announcer couldn’t announce it quick enough after the final whistle.

For some stupid reason, the 3 of us thought it’d be a good idea to walk up to Hammersmith after the game. Once there, it was kicking off all over. We were only 16 and not into all that.

Regarding Fulham blowing it, they were wobbling slightly, but were still in control of their own destiny when they played Leicester at home. If they avoided defeat, I think they would’ve gone up. Leicester scored the winner in the second half, and Fulham imploded from then on.
I remember the end of the Derby game. The crowd were around the pitch, and one of them kicked the Fulham midfielder Robert Wilson.
I really felt sorry for Fulham that season. After that, they went downhill quicker than Franz Klammer.
[Post edited 29 Jun 2020 11:15]
Memories of the 83 promotion game on 11:42 - Jun 29 with 1746 viewsTheChef

Memories of the 83 promotion game on 10:25 - Jun 29 by superhoopdownunder

Also shame Venables didn’t stay more than one more season
This interview covers Venables apparently taking over from Jim Gregory

Forgot how close Chelscum were to the drop that season - but then turned it round the following season and got promoted.

Shame.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Login to get fewer ads

Memories of the 83 promotion game on 12:29 - Jun 29 with 1700 viewsYorkRanger

Memories of the 83 promotion game on 11:42 - Jun 29 by TheChef

Forgot how close Chelscum were to the drop that season - but then turned it round the following season and got promoted.

Shame.

I was there standing in the Lower Loft. I remember it was absolutely packed. Fulham were a decent side and I'm pretty sure were going well, with still a chance of promotion but on the day we blew them away. Great atmosphere and celebrations - a goal from Stainrod was the icing on the cake
Memories of the 83 promotion game on 12:29 - Jun 29 with 1697 viewsDWQPR

Was there as a 17 year old. Used to stand towards the back of the Loft behind the goal which meant that you could only see the top third of the net due to Jim Gregory deciding not to spend a few extra quid in realignment the terrace steps when the upper Loft was built the previous season. The previous game at home to Leeds, which was on my birthday, 23rd April was the game where we secured promotion and that was where that Jim Gregory interview was after. The Fulham game was a real party atmosphere. But the difference between the two teams was clear to see. Venables was building a formidable team at that time, not to the class of '76 but younger and more workmanlike with still plenty of flair in abundance. If he had stayed at Rangers for a few more years without doubt he would have achieved what Dave Sexton missed by a whisper.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Memories of the 83 promotion game on 13:04 - Jun 29 with 1658 viewsloftboy

Slept through my English Literature CSE exam the next day from that, couldn’t fail those exams, put my name and date at the top, wrote one line and fell asleep, still got a grade 5 !! (CSE’s were razed 1-5 with 1 being an equivalent of an O level grade C )
And you lot wonder why I deliver groceries or a living 😂😂😂

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Memories of the 83 promotion game on 13:04 - Jun 29 with 1659 viewsHamptonR

I was there, 16 year old.
Great game and a great atmosphere, as was the norm that season.
I wanted Fulham to go up, being a London club, but I hated Malcolm MacDonald, as a player he was always sticking it to Stan, he was rubbish at Arsenal where he claimed blatant own goals as though they were his worldies.

He also gave it large in the press saying "Catch us if you can" So we did.

I cant remember who the Leicester manager was that season but after we played them, he said QPR will win this division by 10 points and we did.

And despite the plastic pitch our away record was the best in the top two divisions.

Happy days.
[Post edited 29 Jun 2020 13:25]
Memories of the 83 promotion game on 13:23 - Jun 29 with 1627 viewsterryb

I was there, but I have no recollection of the game!

We beat every team in the league that season including a win at Ewood park after drawing the home game.
Memories of the 83 promotion game on 13:37 - Jun 29 with 1585 viewsCamberleyR

Memories of the 83 promotion game on 11:42 - Jun 29 by TheChef

Shame.

We lost to them 2-1 the day after Boxing Day which I have always felt kept them up. They only won two other away games all season. It was made worse as you say by them completely turning it around next season and after signing Dixon and Nevin, storming the division.

I still feel to this day that had they gone down that season, it would have been the end for them. Bates would probably have cut his losses and sold up and they would have been in the wilderness for years, probably dropping into the bottom division.

Memories of the 83 promotion game on 13:51 - Jun 29 with 1563 viewsJuzzie

It was my first season going to QPR (I was 15) and I think my 10th home game (didn't do any away's that year but did all seasons since then).
No recollection of the game but as others have said, it was a deserved win.

I think Fulham were vying for promotion themselves and they ended up 4th just outside the top three promotion places (no play off's back then) by one point.

Konk maybe able to verify this but they felt aggrieved for a while afterwards that we should have let them win it to get the points they need to get 3rd as it would have not made a difference to our own position.
Would they have do the same? Would any other club have done the same? I doubt it.

I was just getting into football properly then so didn't really feel any sense of rivalry, just wanted to win the game.
Memories of the 83 promotion game on 14:09 - Jun 29 with 1535 viewskingshill

Day before my 14th birthday.
Was in the West Paddock with mates from school

We went 2 up in about 10 minutes and my mate Steven Payne ended up on the pitch waving his Union Jack with "Sealy" written on it at the away end. Yeah I know what was he doing with that on it? Well Sealy really went from zero to hero that season, think he ended up with about 16 goals and top scorer?

Remember the horses on the pitch and finding out from someone with a radio that we'd clinched the title.

Those last 3 home games, Leeds to win promotion, Fulham to win the league and Wolves to parade the trophy were pretty wild, horses on the pitch 3 straight home games, has that happened since?
Memories of the 83 promotion game on 14:09 - Jun 29 with 1532 viewsCamberleyR

Memories of the 83 promotion game on 13:51 - Jun 29 by Juzzie

It was my first season going to QPR (I was 15) and I think my 10th home game (didn't do any away's that year but did all seasons since then).
No recollection of the game but as others have said, it was a deserved win.

I think Fulham were vying for promotion themselves and they ended up 4th just outside the top three promotion places (no play off's back then) by one point.

Konk maybe able to verify this but they felt aggrieved for a while afterwards that we should have let them win it to get the points they need to get 3rd as it would have not made a difference to our own position.
Would they have do the same? Would any other club have done the same? I doubt it.

I was just getting into football properly then so didn't really feel any sense of rivalry, just wanted to win the game.

Going into that game promotion had already been confirmed but the title was still up for grabs, although we were overwhelming favourites.

Wolves were five points behind with three to play although we had a game in hand on them so we needed four points from the last four games to secure it. As it transpired, we only won the title that day against Fulham due to Wolves drawing at Charlton.

Memories of the 83 promotion game on 15:20 - Jun 29 with 1460 viewsloftus77

Memories of the 83 promotion game on 14:09 - Jun 29 by kingshill

Day before my 14th birthday.
Was in the West Paddock with mates from school

We went 2 up in about 10 minutes and my mate Steven Payne ended up on the pitch waving his Union Jack with "Sealy" written on it at the away end. Yeah I know what was he doing with that on it? Well Sealy really went from zero to hero that season, think he ended up with about 16 goals and top scorer?

Remember the horses on the pitch and finding out from someone with a radio that we'd clinched the title.

Those last 3 home games, Leeds to win promotion, Fulham to win the league and Wolves to parade the trophy were pretty wild, horses on the pitch 3 straight home games, has that happened since?

This is pretty much my recollection. I was there and I remember Ron Phillips announcing on the tannoy that Charlton had fought back from 3-0 down to draw 3-3 at home to Wolves and we were champions. The Queen song duly followed. Don't remember much about the game much more that anyone else on this thread - it was just yet another home win at a time we were steam-rollering everyone (Boro 6-1, Rotherham 4-0, Charlton 5-1). Promotion was never much in doubt the whole season with us, Wolves and Fulham as 'the 3 hares' at the top.

As kingshill says, I remember those last 4 home games (Leicester, Leeds, Fulham and Wolves) were all characterised by crowd trouble with horses on the pitch at all of them. I seem to remember the Leeds games was the worst (surprise...) with fights breaking out all over the ground including the SAR upper near the Directors Box. That was the era I guess...
Memories of the 83 promotion game on 16:01 - Jun 29 with 1409 viewsBlackCrowe

I was there. In the Loft with my fulham supporting girlfriend. It was joyous. For me at least.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Memories of the 83 promotion game on 16:45 - Jun 29 with 1358 viewsNorthernr

Memories of QPR's 1983 promotion - History 29th Jun 2020 16:42
QPR beat Fulham 3-1 at Loftus Road in early May 1983 as Terry Venables' side returned to the top flight in fine style. 1

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024