Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Warburton Speaks Ahead of Fulham Match 18:20 - Jun 29 with 2849 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Stout defence of players' fitness and work rate, as you'd expect.

https://www.qpr.co.uk/videos/interviews/have-no-doubts-and-no-regrets/

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Warburton Speaks Ahead of Fulham Match on 18:36 - Jun 29 with 2254 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I really do like Warburton. And the last two games haven't changed that, despite the disappointment.

He's being very loyal to his players and staff in this interview, which is exactly the right thing to do.

What will be interesting is whether he makes any changes for tomorrow's game and if those changes might be with fitness in mind.

Warburton Speaks Ahead of Fulham Match on 18:39 - Jun 29 with 2222 views2Thomas2Bowles

Absolute shower

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Warburton Speaks Ahead of Fulham Match on 18:40 - Jun 29 with 2243 viewsNorthernr

He may think it's derogatory, those two performances spoke for themselves. Bright v Charlton at home and Bright v Charlton away.
Warburton Speaks Ahead of Fulham Match on 18:45 - Jun 29 with 2197 views2Thomas2Bowles

Warburton Speaks Ahead of Fulham Match on 18:40 - Jun 29 by Northernr

He may think it's derogatory, those two performances spoke for themselves. Bright v Charlton at home and Bright v Charlton away.

I've got us down for 0-3

If that comes about, let's hear him then...
[Post edited 29 Jun 2020 18:45]

Warburton Speaks Ahead of Fulham Match on 18:45 - Jun 29 with 2210 viewsBrianMcCarthy

He may well agree privately but what choice has he only to defend his players and staff in public?

A few of the players may have dropped the ball and maybe a few of his staff underdid the monitoring or misjudged the home S&C programmes and maybe that was obvious the first day they convened. We can't be sure of any of that, but let's say maybe....

He still has to defend them in public, at least until the end of the season.

Warburton Speaks Ahead of Fulham Match on 18:47 - Jun 29 with 2198 viewsNorthernr

Warburton Speaks Ahead of Fulham Match on 18:45 - Jun 29 by BrianMcCarthy

He may well agree privately but what choice has he only to defend his players and staff in public?

A few of the players may have dropped the ball and maybe a few of his staff underdid the monitoring or misjudged the home S&C programmes and maybe that was obvious the first day they convened. We can't be sure of any of that, but let's say maybe....

Absolutely agree, of course. And as usual he speaks a lot of sense. I hope the players reward that loyalty from him with a performance tomorrow night.
Warburton Speaks Ahead of Fulham Match on 18:48 - Jun 29 with 2186 viewsBrianMcCarthy

$hit. I've just remembered that kick-off's at 6.30.

I have a GAA coaching session tomorrow and thought I'd make the second half, but I won't now.

Warburton Speaks Ahead of Fulham Match on 18:49 - Jun 29 with 2177 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Warburton Speaks Ahead of Fulham Match on 18:47 - Jun 29 by Northernr

Absolutely agree, of course. And as usual he speaks a lot of sense. I hope the players reward that loyalty from him with a performance tomorrow night.

Ya, will be interesting.

Login to get fewer ads

Warburton Speaks Ahead of Fulham Match on 18:51 - Jun 29 with 2151 views2Thomas2Bowles

Warburton Speaks Ahead of Fulham Match on 18:45 - Jun 29 by BrianMcCarthy

Warburton Speaks Ahead of Fulham Match on 01:48 - Jun 30 with 1875 viewsstainrods_elbow

I've been a real fan of the manager ever since he took over, but I'd say Warburton was really rattled by the justified criticism his squad and preps. have provoked since we re-started - he couldn't talk about anything else in what was, for me, a defensive and over-heated interview. In any event, Paul Morrissey's fabulously tactical and painfully articulated opening gambit about motivation/what's left to play for clearly got his colour up. Whether you think that's because it's all too painfully close to home, or as wildly 'derogatory' as Mark claims, is up to you, but I've drawn my own conclusions. He's definitely gone down a bit in my eyes of late.

Quite why MW, and some others on this board, seem to think that 'professional athletes' mustn't have a metaphorical hair on their head harmed in a public forum, but it's OK for the manager to attack and potentially alienate fans as 'ignorant' for expressing a consensus of contempt at the last two performances (while, at the same time, telling us that everything they do, they do it for you) really highlights the schizophrenic duality of modern pro football. The weird combination of fawning contempt suffered by us supporters in defernce to players who love to slap their badge at us when they're getting the applause but who then turn into backsliding rubouts when they're getting pelters, all the while cocooned by the cliched evasiveness of those managers who should be holding them to task, is really something to endure. To be as honest as Warburton says he likes to be, the 'ignorant' jibe is cheap, Harry-esque bile, albeit out of the mouth of a much more likeable and normally respectable figure. But even apart from all that, he's contradicting himself out of his own mouth - he agreed after the Barnsley game the team's performance stats were way down, which can only be because of a lack of effort, fitness or both. He would have done much better to look into the camera, tell us all how determined the players are to show the fans what we've been missing, and how he personally expects a significant improvement versus Fulham, especially now they're without their top scorer and with problems with their own form. That's being positive, courageous, or 'aggressive', to appropriate his own word in a more empowering direction. Sadly at QPR, it always seems to be about managing expectations downward!

For me, he, his staff and the squad have got a lot of making up to do between now and the end of the season, and if we don't get a fiercely committed showing from first minute to last at the very least against our close rivals tomorrow night, fans or no fans, the club's credibility will have taken another disspiriting tumble. Mind you, I'm just another 'ignorant' fan who doesn't understand that footballers have to be wrapped in cotton wool, every side we meet is 'talented' and a 'very tough' challenge, and that the evidence of my eyes and ears is not to be trusted.
[Post edited 30 Jun 2020 2:11]

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Warburton Speaks Ahead of Fulham Match on 03:40 - Jun 30 with 1829 viewsHooparoo

Warburton Speaks Ahead of Fulham Match on 01:48 - Jun 30 by stainrods_elbow

I've been a real fan of the manager ever since he took over, but I'd say Warburton was really rattled by the justified criticism his squad and preps. have provoked since we re-started - he couldn't talk about anything else in what was, for me, a defensive and over-heated interview. In any event, Paul Morrissey's fabulously tactical and painfully articulated opening gambit about motivation/what's left to play for clearly got his colour up. Whether you think that's because it's all too painfully close to home, or as wildly 'derogatory' as Mark claims, is up to you, but I've drawn my own conclusions. He's definitely gone down a bit in my eyes of late.

Quite why MW, and some others on this board, seem to think that 'professional athletes' mustn't have a metaphorical hair on their head harmed in a public forum, but it's OK for the manager to attack and potentially alienate fans as 'ignorant' for expressing a consensus of contempt at the last two performances (while, at the same time, telling us that everything they do, they do it for you) really highlights the schizophrenic duality of modern pro football. The weird combination of fawning contempt suffered by us supporters in defernce to players who love to slap their badge at us when they're getting the applause but who then turn into backsliding rubouts when they're getting pelters, all the while cocooned by the cliched evasiveness of those managers who should be holding them to task, is really something to endure. To be as honest as Warburton says he likes to be, the 'ignorant' jibe is cheap, Harry-esque bile, albeit out of the mouth of a much more likeable and normally respectable figure. But even apart from all that, he's contradicting himself out of his own mouth - he agreed after the Barnsley game the team's performance stats were way down, which can only be because of a lack of effort, fitness or both. He would have done much better to look into the camera, tell us all how determined the players are to show the fans what we've been missing, and how he personally expects a significant improvement versus Fulham, especially now they're without their top scorer and with problems with their own form. That's being positive, courageous, or 'aggressive', to appropriate his own word in a more empowering direction. Sadly at QPR, it always seems to be about managing expectations downward!

For me, he, his staff and the squad have got a lot of making up to do between now and the end of the season, and if we don't get a fiercely committed showing from first minute to last at the very least against our close rivals tomorrow night, fans or no fans, the club's credibility will have taken another disspiriting tumble. Mind you, I'm just another 'ignorant' fan who doesn't understand that footballers have to be wrapped in cotton wool, every side we meet is 'talented' and a 'very tough' challenge, and that the evidence of my eyes and ears is not to be trusted.

Good post. Been thinking something similar lately

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

Warburton Speaks Ahead of Fulham Match on 07:41 - Jun 30 with 1652 views2Thomas2Bowles

stainrods_elbow
Bullseye

Warburton Speaks Ahead of Fulham Match on 08:05 - Jun 30 with 1617 viewsdistortR

If i get a dressing down in public,someone will get a f.u

If I under-perform, and we all know when we have, and get pulled in for a private word, fair enough.

While I object to the money footballer's get for playing a game, i also understand that they are people too.

As for changes to the team, he doesn't actually have a lot of options. With regard to our fitness levels, and the clubs dismay with the timing of the restart, I wonder if they feel they have been misinformed at some stage.
[Post edited 30 Jun 2020 8:29]
Warburton Speaks Ahead of Fulham Match on 09:03 - Jun 30 with 1521 viewskarl

Warburton Speaks Ahead of Fulham Match on 08:05 - Jun 30 by distortR

If I under-perform, and we all know when we have, and get pulled in for a private word, fair enough.

While I object to the money footballer's get for playing a game, i also understand that they are people too.

As for changes to the team, he doesn't actually have a lot of options. With regard to our fitness levels, and the clubs dismay with the timing of the restart, I wonder if they feel they have been misinformed at some stage.

MW does have to be careful, he has great support from the fans but if he defends himself and the squad by calling them ignorant that will backfire.
I saw it happen to John 'Yogi' Hughes at Hibs, born in Leith, explayer/captain and had them flying at first but hit a long sticky spell and he handled it badly saying at press conferences that your average fan didn't know what he was trying to do but 'fitba folk ken, aye'?
Basically unless you'd been involved in the pro game your opinion was worthless was his approach, lost a lot of goodwill and didn't last very long after it.
Hopefully this is a blip, I haven't seen either of the games so can't comment on that but if it's fitness that may start to resolve itself now.
If I can get my registration sorted might get the game on QPR+ tonight. Relying on Matthew to get me in!!
[Post edited 30 Jun 2020 9:04]
Warburton Speaks Ahead of Fulham Match on 09:05 - Jun 30 with 1512 viewsWokingR

Warburton Speaks Ahead of Fulham Match on 18:48 - Jun 29 by BrianMcCarthy

$hit. I've just remembered that kick-off's at 6.30.

I have a GAA coaching session tomorrow and thought I'd make the second half, but I won't now.

Perhaps we can all come and give you a hand Brian
It might save us another frustrated and wasted evening.
Warburton Speaks Ahead of Fulham Match on 09:16 - Jun 30 with 1481 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Warburton Speaks Ahead of Fulham Match on 09:03 - Jun 30 by karl

MW does have to be careful, he has great support from the fans but if he defends himself and the squad by calling them ignorant that will backfire.
I saw it happen to John 'Yogi' Hughes at Hibs, born in Leith, explayer/captain and had them flying at first but hit a long sticky spell and he handled it badly saying at press conferences that your average fan didn't know what he was trying to do but 'fitba folk ken, aye'?
Basically unless you'd been involved in the pro game your opinion was worthless was his approach, lost a lot of goodwill and didn't last very long after it.
Hopefully this is a blip, I haven't seen either of the games so can't comment on that but if it's fitness that may start to resolve itself now.
If I can get my registration sorted might get the game on QPR+ tonight. Relying on Matthew to get me in!!
[Post edited 30 Jun 2020 9:04]

Good post.

The 'ignorant' comment was in relation to some social media comments that were on the extreme end, to be fair.

But it's a risky word to apply even to the extreme fans as while 'ignorant' is defined as lacking in knowledge and we are as fans definitely lacking facts about fitness in that we haven't seen the data many people think 'ignorant' means 'stupid' and this could get some backs up and also - well, while we're lacking facts our eyes do suggest that a few of the players could be fitter.

I notice that Konk and the other Fulham guest previewer also think that Fulham have been less fit than their oppo in the two games since the restart. We shall see.

Warburton Speaks Ahead of Fulham Match on 10:21 - Jun 30 with 1375 viewsTheChef

Warburton Speaks Ahead of Fulham Match on 09:16 - Jun 30 by BrianMcCarthy

Good post.

The 'ignorant' comment was in relation to some social media comments that were on the extreme end, to be fair.

But it's a risky word to apply even to the extreme fans as while 'ignorant' is defined as lacking in knowledge and we are as fans definitely lacking facts about fitness in that we haven't seen the data many people think 'ignorant' means 'stupid' and this could get some backs up and also - well, while we're lacking facts our eyes do suggest that a few of the players could be fitter.

I notice that Konk and the other Fulham guest previewer also think that Fulham have been less fit than their oppo in the two games since the restart. We shall see.

Based on that, tonight is likely to be one hell of a game for the neutral.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Warburton Speaks Ahead of Fulham Match on 10:24 - Jun 30 with 1366 viewsdaveB

I don't buy into the lack of fitness stuff, they look fit to me but they are just not playing well.

The main issues have not been fitness they have been basic defending, letting men run off you in open play for the Barnsley goal and not reacting quickly to defending crosses and corners, that problem has been there all season even when playing well.

Also going forward we are too slow on the ball and looking for safe option all the time, putting in a few crosses and fighting for the second ball would make a huge difference.

Performances in last 2 games were very similar to ones against Reading and Hull over Christmas.
Warburton Speaks Ahead of Fulham Match on 10:27 - Jun 30 with 1364 viewsMickS

Warburton Speaks Ahead of Fulham Match on 08:05 - Jun 30 by distortR

The Exeter manager slaughtered his team on camera last night. I wonder how much time he has left?
Warburton Speaks Ahead of Fulham Match on 10:54 - Jun 30 with 1323 viewsdaveB

Warburton Speaks Ahead of Fulham Match on 10:27 - Jun 30 by MickS

The Exeter manager slaughtered his team on camera last night. I wonder how much time he has left?

he was right though, they were abysmal
Warburton Speaks Ahead of Fulham Match on 11:04 - Jun 30 with 1292 viewsNortholt_Rs

Warburton Speaks Ahead of Fulham Match on 10:54 - Jun 30 by daveB

he was right though, they were abysmal

As was Warburton’s team against Barnsley and Charlton. We were abysmal in both games and that interview by MW was poor. He - and we - needs a big bounce back tonight. I’m going for a streaky 1-0 to the supahoopsa! COYRs!!

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

Warburton Speaks Ahead of Fulham Match on 11:40 - Jun 30 with 1219 viewsdaveB

Warburton Speaks Ahead of Fulham Match on 11:04 - Jun 30 by Northolt_Rs

As was Warburton’s team against Barnsley and Charlton. We were abysmal in both games and that interview by MW was poor. He - and we - needs a big bounce back tonight. I’m going for a streaky 1-0 to the supahoopsa! COYRs!!

They weren't as bad as Exeter last night, was like us in 1986 that performance in a final.

I thought his interview was fine, he didn't say we played well just defended the players attitude and fitness. This happens every season though, when Bright or Eze have a bad game in September/October it's brushed aside, when they do it now they don't care or have an eye on a move, lack fitness etc. These last 2 performances were not hugely different to ones earlier in the season, been the same all year if we fall below our best we look shit. There isn't a middle ground with this team
Warburton Speaks Ahead of Fulham Match on 13:45 - Jun 30 with 1082 viewsPinnerPaul

Have to take a rare issue with here Clive.

Yes the difference in performances IS obvious but to put it all down to attitude is at the very least arguable wouldn't you say?
Warburton Speaks Ahead of Fulham Match on 13:49 - Jun 30 with 1068 viewsPinnerPaul

Love it that's its OK for fans to say. write and post what that they like but he defends his players and has the temerity to not agree with the fans - none of whom attend 1 minutes of training and you call it 'over heated and defensive'!

You wouldn't call posts on here on Saturday saying the club was rotten from top to bottom 'over heated' then?
Warburton Speaks Ahead of Fulham Match on 13:51 - Jun 30 with 1058 viewsPinnerPaul

Warburton Speaks Ahead of Fulham Match on 07:41 - Jun 30 by 2Thomas2Bowles

stainrods_elbow
Bullseye

More 'clipped the edge of the target' for me but hey ho!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024