Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Goalkeepers 07:02 - Jul 1 with 8397 viewsGloucs_R

Following on from the defence thread...

They've been poor this season too. Lumley probably cost us 10 goals this season and Kelly hasn't owned the number 1 shirt either. He was slow to get down to a few shots last night.

I've been watching Dieng on loan and although he looks decent, he's made a few mistakes too.

I know they are all young, for a keeper, but they've all cost us points this season. I do really miss Smithies.

It's not really a position we can afford to spend money on. I would say send Lumley out on loan next season and let Kelly and Dieng fight out.

Poll: Are we staying up?

Goalkeepers on 08:00 - Jul 1 with 3306 viewsstevec

Chris Day played into his 40’s, there are always ageing keepers on benches, perfectly capable of doing a proper job.

Lumley is not good enough and Kelly, although passable, does looks vulnerable.

It’ll cost relative peanuts to bring in an experienced keeper, we need a shot stopper to settle the team.
Goalkeepers on 08:15 - Jul 1 with 3280 viewsTheChef

Needless to say Smithies was excellent for us, but even he had a fairly ropey defence in front of him.

The whole defensive unit has needed an overhaul for the last three seasons at least. Here's hoping we can get the right recruitments in this summer.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Goalkeepers on 08:19 - Jul 1 with 3272 viewssmegma

Lumley was our best keeper a year ago. After a couple of mistakes, people on here were screaming for Kelly to get a game. You got what you asked for.
Goalkeepers on 08:38 - Jul 1 with 3223 viewsTheChef

Goalkeepers on 08:19 - Jul 1 by smegma

Lumley was our best keeper a year ago. After a couple of mistakes, people on here were screaming for Kelly to get a game. You got what you asked for.

Ha, true!

Although I think Kelly will be disappointed with the goals he's let in in the last three games.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Goalkeepers on 08:46 - Jul 1 with 3209 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Gloucs,

You really are Mt. HappyGoodNewsMan this week, aren't you!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Goalkeepers on 08:52 - Jul 1 with 3198 viewsA40Bosh

This happens every year and we keep on regurgitating the same thread and same opinions.
If Smithies had stayed then after a couple more mistakes he would become public enemy/boo boy and then Lumley would eventually been given a run out and would have after a couple of months been written off after his couple of rickets. So we have now gone through Smithies, Ingram, Lumley, Kelly and next in the firing line will be Dieng if he comes back and challenges for the first team next year. We get hysterical every time a keeper does not stop a goal going in - "howler from the keeper" - "threw it in" " was at fault".

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Goalkeepers on 09:27 - Jul 1 with 3116 viewsflynnbo

A couple of mistakes?!!
Goalkeepers on 09:34 - Jul 1 with 3100 viewsfrancisbowles

All keepers make mistakes. All let goals in we (and they, sometimes) feel they should be stopping. Even Smithies made errors, not too many but some.

Kelly hasn't made too many yet either and his distribution is very good. Last night, he seemed to be under instruction to go long and even though that is not his usual style he still did it satisfactorily. Give the guy a chance.

The team was much better but still very rusty and there were many mistakes with misplaced passes, players getting the ball stuck under their feet, missed chances etc.
Login to get fewer ads

Goalkeepers on 09:46 - Jul 1 with 3082 viewssevenhoop

Goalkeepers on 09:34 - Jul 1 by francisbowles

All keepers make mistakes. All let goals in we (and they, sometimes) feel they should be stopping. Even Smithies made errors, not too many but some.

Kelly hasn't made too many yet either and his distribution is very good. Last night, he seemed to be under instruction to go long and even though that is not his usual style he still did it satisfactorily. Give the guy a chance.

The team was much better but still very rusty and there were many mistakes with misplaced passes, players getting the ball stuck under their feet, missed chances etc.

Kelly should have saved both last night and had a decent shout to save both the goals in the other games. i hate to think how many points basic goalkeeping errors have cost us
Goalkeepers on 09:56 - Jul 1 with 3063 viewsRBlock

I recall hearing on a podcast somewhere, that the overall save percentages of keepers in most leagues across Europe is massively down since the restart. Shot stopping, concentration, knowing your angles, these aren't things that can be too easily replicated at home. I know Clive has spoken before his experiences as a five aside keeper, where it will take him a while to get back to form after a while out.

Of course Kelly should have done better with both goals yesterday, but it would appear this is part of a wider trend in football, rather than just our keepers being pony.
Goalkeepers on 10:00 - Jul 1 with 3044 viewsfrancisbowles

Goalkeepers on 09:46 - Jul 1 by sevenhoop

Kelly should have saved both last night and had a decent shout to save both the goals in the other games. i hate to think how many points basic goalkeeping errors have cost us

I'd agree with you on the first goal last night. Can't remember the Barnsley one, Charlton's was headed down low and firm was very difficult to get down to as too close. The second goal last night was firm and accurate and he was left very exposed.

Overall defence much more to blame than Kelly.
Goalkeepers on 10:13 - Jul 1 with 3019 viewsloftboy

Just watched the goals again, you can’t blame Kelly for the second goal, it was hit like an Exocet.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Goalkeepers on 10:49 - Jul 1 with 2971 viewsstevenagehoop

Goalkeepers on 10:13 - Jul 1 by loftboy

Just watched the goals again, you can’t blame Kelly for the second goal, it was hit like an Exocet.

Two game changing incidents - Kelly mistake for first goal and Amos blasting over.

I never lie but I don't always tell the truth

Goalkeepers on 10:55 - Jul 1 with 2953 viewsjohncharles

Kelly has only let in 4 in the last three matches. We lost all three. It suggest the problem lies at the other end of the pitch. If we had scored 4 or more goals the results could have been very different.

Strong and stable my arse.

Goalkeepers on 10:56 - Jul 1 with 2951 viewsflynnbo

Goalkeepers on 10:49 - Jul 1 by stevenagehoop

Two game changing incidents - Kelly mistake for first goal and Amos blasting over.

Agreed.
Goalkeepers on 11:01 - Jul 1 with 2937 viewsdoogi10

christie had been take long shot all night we did not close him down not kelly fault.
1st goal awful loosing the bal in a bad area and he should have saved it.
amos miss he should follow that shot straight back to north london.
we gave the ball away far to much barbet is a mistake waiting ti happen,
kaka was good
Goalkeepers on 11:20 - Jul 1 with 2901 viewsDevon_4_England

Saw Dieng regularly a few seasons ago at Hampton and Richmond and he impressed albeit at National League South level.

Is he training with the R’s currently or on furlough?
Goalkeepers on 11:27 - Jul 1 with 2882 viewsGloucs_R

Smeg clearly has his Lumley rose tinted glasses on. He's been useless this season and needs to go out on loan.

I like Kelly but he isn't the biggest and doesn't impose himself.

I do agree with the above though, it must be incredibly hard as a keeper to do home training. Especially if you lived in an apartment or somewhere with a small garden.

Brian, I'm just frustrated that were just not progressing on the pitch, in terms of results. We should have an expectation that we at least going to finish in the top half and above the likes of Wigan and Millwall who have far smaller the budgets.

Goalkeepers on 11:37 - Jul 1 with 2868 viewsflynnbo

Goalkeepers on 09:46 - Jul 1 by sevenhoop

Absolute nonsense. He was at fault for the first goal last night and was wrongfooted for the Charlton goal where I thought he did well to even get a hand to it from a point blank downward free header. He also made a brilliant save after the Christie rocket.
Goalkeepers on 12:07 - Jul 1 with 2830 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Goalkeepers on 11:27 - Jul 1 by Gloucs_R

Smeg clearly has his Lumley rose tinted glasses on. He's been useless this season and needs to go out on loan.

I like Kelly but he isn't the biggest and doesn't impose himself.

I do agree with the above though, it must be incredibly hard as a keeper to do home training. Especially if you lived in an apartment or somewhere with a small garden.

Brian, I'm just frustrated that were just not progressing on the pitch, in terms of results. We should have an expectation that we at least going to finish in the top half and above the likes of Wigan and Millwall who have far smaller the budgets.

"Brian, I'm just frustrated that were just not progressing on the pitch, in terms of results. We should have an expectation that we at least going to finish in the top half and above the likes of Wigan and Millwall who have far smaller the budgets."

I feel your pain, Gloucs.

Against that, though, we are outperforming teams with bigger budgets. And we are certainly outperforming our own expectations.

Defence and goalkeeping could be improved, of course, but if we concentrate more on that in training it comes at the expense of hours otherwise spent on attacking, and I know which I'd prefer. And if we concentrate more on defence and goalkeeping as regards transfers and budgets it comes at the expense of attacking and again I know which I'd prefer.

Considering the team was put together for 50k, reduced wage bill for the fourth year in a row and reduced agents' fees as well I think we've done very well.

Last night seems to have been an improvement. let's bank it and move on. Hopefully Sunday will be too.

Goalkeepers on 12:25 - Jul 1 with 2793 viewsGloucs_R

Goalkeepers on 12:07 - Jul 1 by BrianMcCarthy

"Brian, I'm just frustrated that were just not progressing on the pitch, in terms of results. We should have an expectation that we at least going to finish in the top half and above the likes of Wigan and Millwall who have far smaller the budgets."

I feel your pain, Gloucs.

Against that, though, we are outperforming teams with bigger budgets. And we are certainly outperforming our own expectations.

Defence and goalkeeping could be improved, of course, but if we concentrate more on that in training it comes at the expense of hours otherwise spent on attacking, and I know which I'd prefer. And if we concentrate more on defence and goalkeeping as regards transfers and budgets it comes at the expense of attacking and again I know which I'd prefer.

Considering the team was put together for 50k, reduced wage bill for the fourth year in a row and reduced agents' fees as well I think we've done very well.

Last night seems to have been an improvement. let's bank it and move on. Hopefully Sunday will be too.

We've spent less in recent years but...

We still have a decent wage budget, mid table

We signed two strikers on loan, worth a combined 15m, not many clubs have that luxury.

Improvements off the pitch need to be matched with those on it.

Goalkeepers on 12:30 - Jul 1 with 2784 viewseastside_r

I don’t think we can really be too critical of Kelly for Fulham’s winner but let’s look at the other three goals we have conceded since restart.

Barnsley was 80% the central defenders’ fault but Kelly was slow to react and should shoulder some blame. Charlton header; poor starting position and weak hand. Fulham’s first — really should be saving that one (as most seem to agree)

I pointed out (on the match thread) that if Lumley had conceded those 3 goals he would have been rounded on and probably dropped by MW. Some disagreed.

When MW brought Kelly in over the summer, some on here said he obviously had not been signed to sit on the bench. Lumley indeed reacted poorly to having such competition and made too many errors and was RIGHTLY taken out of the firing line.

Kelly is obviously better suited to the style MW wants to play (out from the back) but I do not think he is a better shot stopper than Lumley. Joe is not great in the air but good enough and he is big. Without a big ‘head it and kick it’ centre half (which also seems to be MW’s policy) I think Kelly will be targeted because of his height especially at set plays.

I can think of one manager of a team who we are playing soon who will definitely target him.
Goalkeepers on 12:42 - Jul 1 with 2755 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Goalkeepers on 12:25 - Jul 1 by Gloucs_R

We've spent less in recent years but...

We still have a decent wage budget, mid table

We signed two strikers on loan, worth a combined 15m, not many clubs have that luxury.

Improvements off the pitch need to be matched with those on it.

1. I think - think - our budget is 18th-19th this season out of 24th
2. We've done that (bringing in Wells and Hugill) despite the budget being 18th-19th
3. Agreed, but I think we're doing as well as FFP will allow us. We've been forced to slash every year and also have a massive squad upheaval every year.

Goalkeepers on 12:53 - Jul 1 with 2726 viewsNorthernr

On Dieng, they clarified at the forum last week that if a player has been out on a season long loan and is now back the only way he can now play for the first team here is if we have no player fit and available who has ever played that position before. So basically it would need Lumley, Kelly and Barnes to all be injured.

On the keepers in general - probably not the best time for the goalkeeping coach to still be out on furlough.
Goalkeepers on 13:11 - Jul 1 with 2679 viewsDevon_4_England

Goalkeepers on 12:53 - Jul 1 by Northernr

On Dieng, they clarified at the forum last week that if a player has been out on a season long loan and is now back the only way he can now play for the first team here is if we have no player fit and available who has ever played that position before. So basically it would need Lumley, Kelly and Barnes to all be injured.

On the keepers in general - probably not the best time for the goalkeeping coach to still be out on furlough.

Thanks Clive.

GK coach coming back from furlough now we are in July?

He seems a big part of the back room staff so surprised to hear he hasn’t come back yet
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024