Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Training Ground confirmed 12:02 - Jul 6 with 13898 viewsAntti_Heinola

Great news.

Not least for some arguments to finally cease on here!

Come on, group hug everyone.

Stay one metre apart, though, and Lblock, 50 metres’ll do you mate.

;)
[Post edited 6 Jul 2020 12:02]

Bare bones.

Training Ground confirmed on 14:21 - Jul 7 with 2342 viewsPhildo

Training Ground confirmed on 13:57 - Jul 7 by NewBee

If you can't make hay when the sun is shining, when can you make it?

As for The 500 and hopes of the PL, I can't speak for all of them (obv), but this ones view is, if not this season, then next; if not next then the one after; and if not the one after, then who knows? Whatever happens, the scenery along the way is getting finer all the time.

As regards crowds, would you care to wager which of the two clubs will be drawing the bigger crowds just as soon as this virus business is cleared up? There wasn't much in it this season (10.5k vs 12.5k), where we were increasingly limited by capacity constraints, which will be less of a problem at Lionel Road.

And as for the new stadium, don't you worry about the funding: GP was only ever a very small part of the package and in any case, I'm pretty sure it's already been sold and accounted for, with the boys in the bulldozers just waiting for the keys to LR to be handed over to BFC (next month?) before they move on site.

Good luck to you - you have done well and TBH I have never been able to muster any great feelings of rivalry - you are just a club located at half past Chiswick -I reserve visceral dislike for the knuckle draggers at the bridge.

I do worry about you though as there are elements of your fanbase that seem a bit deranged when it comes to us. Have a private chat with konk who is a fan of a rival club and probably one of the most popular and eloquent posters on here. Hard to type when your glasses are steamed up.

Gloating is dangerous though as life has a tendency of biting you on the arris. My guess is in 10 years neither club is too dissimilar to what it is now. Neither of us likely to be polishing that champions league trophy.

Might pop down to your place to watch a bit of rugby though when London Irish move in.
Training Ground confirmed on 15:13 - Jul 7 with 2224 viewsBostonR

As for The 500 and hopes of the PL, I can't speak for all of them (obv), but this ones view is, if not this season, then next; if not next then the one after; and if not the one after, then who knows? Whatever happens, the scenery along the way is getting finer all the time.

As regards crowds, would you care to wager which of the two clubs will be drawing the bigger crowds just as soon as this virus business is cleared up? There wasn't much in it this season (10.5k vs 12.5k), where we were increasingly limited by capacity constraints, which will be less of a problem at Lionel Road.

And as for the new stadium, don't you worry about the funding: GP was only ever a very small part of the package and in any case, I'm pretty sure it's already been sold and accounted for, with the boys in the bulldozers just waiting for the keys to LR to be handed over to BFC (next month?) before they move on site.

Happy to wager on the crowds. Simple really, if we had been able to watch the Barnsley match at LR a few weeks ago - SOLD OUT circa 18,000!

Your first home game v WBA - 12,000.

As for GP being sold and what has been accounted for are two very different matters.
Training Ground confirmed on 15:55 - Jul 7 with 2148 viewsNewBee

Training Ground confirmed on 14:21 - Jul 7 by Phildo

Good luck to you - you have done well and TBH I have never been able to muster any great feelings of rivalry - you are just a club located at half past Chiswick -I reserve visceral dislike for the knuckle draggers at the bridge.

I do worry about you though as there are elements of your fanbase that seem a bit deranged when it comes to us. Have a private chat with konk who is a fan of a rival club and probably one of the most popular and eloquent posters on here. Hard to type when your glasses are steamed up.

Gloating is dangerous though as life has a tendency of biting you on the arris. My guess is in 10 years neither club is too dissimilar to what it is now. Neither of us likely to be polishing that champions league trophy.

Might pop down to your place to watch a bit of rugby though when London Irish move in.

Thank you - I don't get too wound up by rivalries myself. As for the "deranged", every fanbase has its share, incl our own, so I don't get wound up by them either.

Re the old arse-biting, sure it happens and when it does you just take it, move on and wait for things to turn again. But if you're right and in 10 years time we're still about equal (not so sure myself, mind), then that will surely represent a net gain for us/comedown for you when compared wth the last 40+ years?

Meanwhile, I'd rather watch Fulham than rugby.

Fulham Ladies, even.
[Post edited 7 Jul 2020 16:11]
Training Ground confirmed on 16:08 - Jul 7 with 2111 viewsNewBee

Training Ground confirmed on 15:13 - Jul 7 by BostonR

Happy to wager on the crowds. Simple really, if we had been able to watch the Barnsley match at LR a few weeks ago - SOLD OUT circa 18,000!

Your first home game v WBA - 12,000.

As for GP being sold and what has been accounted for are two very different matters.

Er, I'm talking about next season/post Covid-19.

Lionel Road will have a capacity of 17.5k and I'm very confident it will sell out regularly. We've already sold 10k season tickets before we even know when the season will restart and in the middle of a severe recession, the away end will cater for another 2.5k(?), meaning we only have to sell another 5k. And I'm confident the "new stadium bounce" will sort that. In the Championship.

Meanwhile, since you've been back in the Championship, I believe your average has varied between 13.8k and 16k?

Oh and Lionel Road is paid for, don't you worry about that.
[Post edited 7 Jul 2020 16:09]
Training Ground confirmed on 16:09 - Jul 7 with 2097 viewsswitchingcode

Training Ground confirmed on 11:30 - Jul 7 by enfieldargh

enjoy your days in the sunshine, there are always dark clouds on the horizon

That's life son.

Very true,enjoy it while we can
Training Ground confirmed on 16:12 - Jul 7 with 2106 viewsWestbourneR

Training Ground confirmed on 15:55 - Jul 7 by NewBee

Thank you - I don't get too wound up by rivalries myself. As for the "deranged", every fanbase has its share, incl our own, so I don't get wound up by them either.

Re the old arse-biting, sure it happens and when it does you just take it, move on and wait for things to turn again. But if you're right and in 10 years time we're still about equal (not so sure myself, mind), then that will surely represent a net gain for us/comedown for you when compared wth the last 40+ years?

Fulham Ladies, even.

'Fulham Ladies, that is.'

Shudder.

What a wit.

Go away to your own message board you tragic tedious little man.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

Training Ground confirmed on 16:22 - Jul 7 with 2080 viewsPhildo

Training Ground confirmed on 15:55 - Jul 7 by NewBee

Fulham Ladies, even.

Aside from your misogyny you are obviously baiting us.

Truth is we are both dependent on the largess of those who own the clubs. Either of us could end up deep in it - look at Wigan who looked such a well run club under Whelan a few years ago.

I am sure i would stick a fiver in a bucket for Brentford but I never would for Chelsea. More to life than making tissues stiff when your announcer goes off on another wind up.
Training Ground confirmed on 17:19 - Jul 7 with 1990 viewsBostonR

Training Ground confirmed on 16:08 - Jul 7 by NewBee

Lionel Road will have a capacity of 17.5k and I'm very confident it will sell out regularly. We've already sold 10k season tickets before we even know when the season will restart and in the middle of a severe recession, the away end will cater for another 2.5k(?), meaning we only have to sell another 5k. And I'm confident the "new stadium bounce" will sort that. In the Championship.

Meanwhile, since you've been back in the Championship, I believe your average has varied between 13.8k and 16k?

Happy to wager on crowds next season - no problem. I read last week that you have sold 6,000 ST's.

As for LR and funding, my understanding is that the re-development of GP is a integral part of the funding package. Iv'e not seen the bulldozers in yet, nor have I seen the builders, which would concern me.

Is LR funded on the sale of GP or on a shared investment of a development that has not been built and may well be delayed? Just curious.
Login to get fewer ads

Training Ground confirmed on 17:46 - Jul 7 with 1930 viewsNewBee

Training Ground confirmed on 17:19 - Jul 7 by BostonR

Happy to wager on crowds next season - no problem. I read last week that you have sold 6,000 ST's.

As for LR and funding, my understanding is that the re-development of GP is a integral part of the funding package. Iv'e not seen the bulldozers in yet, nor have I seen the builders, which would concern me.

Is LR funded on the sale of GP or on a shared investment of a development that has not been built and may well be delayed? Just curious.

It's just over 6k ST's -which doesn't include the 3k Premium Seats, so c.10k it is.

As for Griffin Park, the only reason work there has yet to commence is because it was a strict planning condition of LBHounslow that Lionel Road be completed and handed over BEFORE GP could even start to be developed. (They were determined that no-one could sell GP then scarper before completing LR)

As for the funding LR, the way it works is this. In return for getting Planning Permission for 900 flats and a hotel etc on that site, the developers had to build and deliver a stadium to BFC before they could sell the first flat. That way LBH got an amenity (sports stadium) in return for PP, and the developers could not just sell the flats and scarper w.o. delivering their side of the bargain.

As for the stadium funding, Matthew Benham has personally put up the money (£80m or thereabouts?) and will get some or all of that back depending on how the property sales go.

Apparently it is possible that if flat prices exceed the original estimates, he is even eligible for a share of the excess as profit. However, it is extremely unlikely in the current market. It is more likely a case of how much of a hit he takes personally when all is totted up. Either way, he's good for the money.

Meanwhile, GP was originally valued at something like £12m(?), which I think may have been revised upwards when sold recently and listed in the accounts? Either way, the site sale only encompasses a small proportion of the overall cost of the development.

Meanwhile, I think BFC take the keys to LR either later this month or v.early next - it's just about complete.

Happy Days!
Training Ground confirmed on 23:59 - Jul 7 with 1656 viewsSydneyRs

Training Ground confirmed on 16:08 - Jul 7 by NewBee

If you go up it will sell out due to larger away support and also the tourists that the prem brings. As dismal as were were in the prem I think the ground was always full.

Brentford are extremely well run and a model many should look to follow in these FFP times. I do think there's a limit to how far you can go, the size of the stadium being one reason for this, and that a few seasons in the bottom half of prem is about as much as could be hoped for. That's not a slur and is true for many clubs, just the reality of the uneven spread of resources at the top level. You are already punching above your weight even in the championship. Watford, Burnley, etc will all be back here before too long.

If you don't go up all bets are off. More of your better players will go again but you've coped with that before.
Training Ground confirmed on 00:02 - Jul 8 with 1652 viewsSydneyRs

As for crowds, we've been struggling for a few years now. If we were challenging for promotion as you are they would be a lot higher.
Training Ground confirmed on 01:10 - Jul 8 with 1612 viewsNewBee

Training Ground confirmed on 23:59 - Jul 7 by SydneyRs

If you go up it will sell out due to larger away support and also the tourists that the prem brings. As dismal as were were in the prem I think the ground was always full.

Brentford are extremely well run and a model many should look to follow in these FFP times. I do think there's a limit to how far you can go, the size of the stadium being one reason for this, and that a few seasons in the bottom half of prem is about as much as could be hoped for. That's not a slur and is true for many clubs, just the reality of the uneven spread of resources at the top level. You are already punching above your weight even in the championship. Watford, Burnley, etc will all be back here before too long.

If you don't go up all bets are off. More of your better players will go again but you've coped with that before.

Re your middle para, Rassmus Ankersen, one of our Danish Co-Directors of Sport (also Chairman P-T of FC Midtjyelland) has an interesting take on this.

He reckons the Championship is the hardest league in the world to get out of for a club like BFC since it is so unequal. Every season, a quarter to a half of the teams have parachute payments coming in, making it exceptionally hard for those without to compete with them.

Whereas the importance of TV money in the PL, and the fairly even distribution of same, means the gap between the "Haves" and the "Have Nots" is not so pronounced, relatively speaking.

Therefore he reckons that a team like BFC could actually compete better in the PL than you might think. (When I say "compete", I don't mean challenge at the top or anything like that; rather they could hope for more than just finishing in 17th every season.)

Meanwhile, I think I'm right in saying that Matthew Benham reckons that the new stadium won't be big enough for BFC to break even in the Championship.

Therefore his whole (long-term) strategy is to get us into the PL, where he could balance the books - and stay there!
Training Ground confirmed on 01:44 - Jul 8 with 1612 viewsDavieQPR

Training Ground confirmed on 17:46 - Jul 7 by NewBee

It's just over 6k ST's -which doesn't include the 3k Premium Seats, so c.10k it is.

As for Griffin Park, the only reason work there has yet to commence is because it was a strict planning condition of LBHounslow that Lionel Road be completed and handed over BEFORE GP could even start to be developed. (They were determined that no-one could sell GP then scarper before completing LR)

As for the funding LR, the way it works is this. In return for getting Planning Permission for 900 flats and a hotel etc on that site, the developers had to build and deliver a stadium to BFC before they could sell the first flat. That way LBH got an amenity (sports stadium) in return for PP, and the developers could not just sell the flats and scarper w.o. delivering their side of the bargain.

As for the stadium funding, Matthew Benham has personally put up the money (£80m or thereabouts?) and will get some or all of that back depending on how the property sales go.

Apparently it is possible that if flat prices exceed the original estimates, he is even eligible for a share of the excess as profit. However, it is extremely unlikely in the current market. It is more likely a case of how much of a hit he takes personally when all is totted up. Either way, he's good for the money.

Meanwhile, GP was originally valued at something like £12m(?), which I think may have been revised upwards when sold recently and listed in the accounts? Either way, the site sale only encompasses a small proportion of the overall cost of the development.

Meanwhile, I think BFC take the keys to LR either later this month or v.early next - it's just about complete.

Happy Days!

Wrong Benham has not put up all the money. He has sold the new Stadium to the developers and will buy it back once Griffin Park is sold. This was also done because Brentford are on track to lose £24m this season and would have been hit by FFP.
Training Ground confirmed on 04:54 - Jul 8 with 1580 viewsSydneyRs

Training Ground confirmed on 01:10 - Jul 8 by NewBee

Re your middle para, Rassmus Ankersen, one of our Danish Co-Directors of Sport (also Chairman P-T of FC Midtjyelland) has an interesting take on this.

He reckons the Championship is the hardest league in the world to get out of for a club like BFC since it is so unequal. Every season, a quarter to a half of the teams have parachute payments coming in, making it exceptionally hard for those without to compete with them.

Whereas the importance of TV money in the PL, and the fairly even distribution of same, means the gap between the "Haves" and the "Have Nots" is not so pronounced, relatively speaking.

Therefore he reckons that a team like BFC could actually compete better in the PL than you might think. (When I say "compete", I don't mean challenge at the top or anything like that; rather they could hope for more than just finishing in 17th every season.)

Meanwhile, I think I'm right in saying that Matthew Benham reckons that the new stadium won't be big enough for BFC to break even in the Championship.

Therefore his whole (long-term) strategy is to get us into the PL, where he could balance the books - and stay there!

The TV money may even things out a bit between the have nots in the prem, but there is huge chasm between the top few and the rest. Even among the rest stadium size, fanbase etc then come into play. TV money is also priced into transfer fees at that level, hence the blind panic to get restarted after covid because the system would collapse without it..

I'm not convinced in the parachute argument. Look at Stoke, Reading, Hull, QPR. Top players simply don't want to be in the championship so there's a limit to what you can do and even if you have them how motivated they are. Plenty of teams have gone up without it and more, including yourselves Forest and Leeds, may do so this season. There's always teams without parachute payments in and around the playoffs.

The championship is a league where anyone can beat anyone else, the prem is not. Tough definitely, but that's partly due to the sheer number of games and the fact there not a lot of difference in quality across the division. Top two are not even averaging 2 points a game this season which is normally needed to be up there.
Training Ground confirmed on 07:56 - Jul 8 with 1490 viewsBrianMcCarthy

https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/qpr-heston-training-ground-phased-move-07201

More detail here, and maybe we could concentrate on our own good news rather than following NewBee down his/her usual attempt to stoke up a conversation about Brentford.

According to this, Harlington's lease will be renewed while (some of) the pitches in our new training ground are upgraded.
Then our first team will join the academy teams there.
Then the buildings there will be upgraded.

Can't wait to see it.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Training Ground confirmed on 10:38 - Jul 8 with 1389 viewsTW_R

Training Ground confirmed on 17:19 - Jul 6 by WrightUp5hit___

Ssssh indeed, Hounslow TW postcode

Nothing wrong with that!
Training Ground confirmed on 11:47 - Jul 8 with 1320 viewswombat

Training Ground confirmed on 10:38 - Jul 8 by TW_R

Nothing wrong with that!

Has the new ground still got a local bus stop ?

asking for a friend

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Training Ground confirmed on 11:54 - Jul 8 with 1314 viewskensalriser

We now have the answer to what is more dull than another new stadium thread: a Brentford new stadium thread.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Training Ground confirmed on 13:05 - Jul 8 with 1258 viewsWrightUp5hit___

Training Ground confirmed on 11:47 - Jul 8 by wombat

Has the new ground still got a local bus stop ?

asking for a friend

Better than that, we have a whole motorway service station on the doorstep.
Training Ground confirmed on 13:08 - Jul 8 with 1250 viewsMick_S

Training Ground confirmed on 13:05 - Jul 8 by WrightUp5hit___

Better than that, we have a whole motorway service station on the doorstep.

And a Costco's. Their rotisserie chicken is something else.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Training Ground confirmed on 13:15 - Jul 8 with 1230 viewsmikeygunn

Really hope we can get signed up to be a CAT 1. Will mean our young players play against the best other young players and more importantly there will be less chance of ours getting pinched!

Leeds have moved up today so that’s one less team for us to play against. We don’t want to be left behind. The Brentford model will only get us so far I think.
Training Ground confirmed on 13:17 - Jul 8 with 1217 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Training Ground confirmed on 13:15 - Jul 8 by mikeygunn

Really hope we can get signed up to be a CAT 1. Will mean our young players play against the best other young players and more importantly there will be less chance of ours getting pinched!

Leeds have moved up today so that’s one less team for us to play against. We don’t want to be left behind. The Brentford model will only get us so far I think.

I agree completely about Cat 1.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Training Ground confirmed on 13:32 - Jul 8 with 1182 viewsrsonist

Not everything about an academy is exempt from FFP, and a Category 1 is a not inconsiderable ongoing investment - £2m/£3m a season iirc. The EPL2 football it offers (while of a relatively higher standard) also remains of no match to the loan system for developing players.

Which is not to say it's undesirable - increased number of coaching hours, degree of added protection from poaching, ability to scout further and prey on the weaker - but it's something we can afford to let grow organically as the club does without worrying too much about being "left behind". There are plenty of underachieving Cat 1s and thriving Cat 2s in the system.

(Brentford would also argue not unreasonably that their model takes them further and investing in accordance with EPPP leaves them behind.)
Training Ground confirmed on 13:56 - Jul 8 with 1136 viewsEsox_Lucius

Training Ground confirmed on 13:32 - Jul 8 by rsonist

Not everything about an academy is exempt from FFP, and a Category 1 is a not inconsiderable ongoing investment - £2m/£3m a season iirc. The EPL2 football it offers (while of a relatively higher standard) also remains of no match to the loan system for developing players.

Which is not to say it's undesirable - increased number of coaching hours, degree of added protection from poaching, ability to scout further and prey on the weaker - but it's something we can afford to let grow organically as the club does without worrying too much about being "left behind". There are plenty of underachieving Cat 1s and thriving Cat 2s in the system.

(Brentford would also argue not unreasonably that their model takes them further and investing in accordance with EPPP leaves them behind.)

With an educational establishment on the doorstep of the new training ground that is one less cost to be considered IMO. They have already stated that they will be doing a major revamp over time so I wouldn't be surprised to see the dormitories included in the structure even if they don't get finished completely whilst we are still Cat 2.

The grass is always greener.

Training Ground confirmed on 14:30 - Jul 8 with 1091 viewsWrightUp5hit___

Training Ground confirmed on 13:08 - Jul 8 by Mick_S

And a Costco's. Their rotisserie chicken is something else.

Can't shake the image of Smegma, Big Alan et al, turning up to watch the juniors. All with a roasting hot, brown bag, Costco chicken as a snack
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024