Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
BRENTFORD 20:36 - Jul 7 with 70422 viewsqpr_1968

anyone pissed off with them keep winning.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

BRENTFORD on 02:17 - Jul 30 with 3222 viewsstowmarketrange

BRENTFORD on 22:05 - Jul 29 by Konk

I find it a bit odd when people dig out smallish clubs for not being able to turn out 30,000 extra fans when they get to Wembley. Nothing wrong with being a club without a shedload of tagalong fans who pop up for cup finals and promotion games. As annoying as Brentford can be, they've never had delusions about being some massive club.

If we get through, then I hate the idea of losing to them, knowing how much beating us would mean to them. If someone had told you 30 years ago that Brentford v (possibly) Fulham would be playing at Wembley for £150m/place in the premier league you'd have thought them mental. So, so weird to have it behind closed doors.
[Post edited 29 Jul 2020 22:09]

Their average crowds have doubled in 10 years,which is the same as Chelshite and man utd’s did in the early 90’s,and a lot of their fans were classed as bandwagon jumpers.
Although the increase is only 5-6k,a lot of them obviously didn’t attend 10 years ago,and that figure will double again once their new ground is open fully to paying fans.
I’m not knocking their business model to gradually build their club up,but their crowds will have tripled in those 10 years,so a fair few of them can be classed as glory hunters and jcls.
BRENTFORD on 06:47 - Jul 30 with 3108 viewsJuzzie

But wouldn’t the same happen to us if we ever moved to a new ground and also got to the PL?
Would they all be classed as JCL’s along with those that went to the play off final but didn’t/rarely went to Loftus Road?

Edit: you also have people who don't want to go to an old, cramped, falling down ground where it’s not a great place to take the kids (any club’s future fans).
I think crowds went up when Reading moved from the dilapidated Elm Park to the Madjeski despite being relegated to the 3rd tier.

[Post edited 30 Jul 2020 7:06]
BRENTFORD on 07:47 - Jul 30 with 3039 viewsParkRoyalR

I find it a bit odd when people dig out smallish clubs for not being able to turn out 30,000 extra fans when they get to Wembley. Nothing wrong with being a club without a shedload of tagalong fans who pop up for cup finals and promotion games. As annoying as Brentford can be, they've never had delusions about being some massive club.

If we get through, then I hate the idea of losing to them, knowing how much beating us would mean to them. If someone had told you 30 years ago that Brentford v (possibly) Fulham would be playing at Wembley for £150m/place in the premier league you'd have thought them mental. So, so weird to have it behind closed doors.

Fair point, but try being gracious when you work with and know life-long fans of Arsenal and United who flip-flop between their now 2 teams and suddenly support the Bees with the zeal of a born again Christian.

Genuinely pleased for the real Bees fans as their loyalty over the years deserving of their time in the sun, also they are the one's not crowing as they know it could still all go wrong.
BRENTFORD on 08:44 - Jul 30 with 2935 viewsswitchingcode

Fair points you make,I understand our st sales for next season are around 11000 up from 6000 this season so I would have thought we would make up at least 20000 if we got to Wembley.Like you hate the fan counting stuff and ironically some of our fans tend to do the “is that all you take away “chant.Ive always said you are what you are not what you think you are and I accept we are a small club that thankfully is growing.
If all goes to plan tonight should be a good final thought the game at yours could have gone either way Mitrovic had 3 chances and you hit the post just a shame we won’t be there to witness it.
BRENTFORD on 09:30 - Jul 30 with 2836 viewsKonk

BRENTFORD on 02:17 - Jul 30 by stowmarketrange

Their average crowds have doubled in 10 years,which is the same as Chelshite and man utd’s did in the early 90’s,and a lot of their fans were classed as bandwagon jumpers.
Although the increase is only 5-6k,a lot of them obviously didn’t attend 10 years ago,and that figure will double again once their new ground is open fully to paying fans.
I’m not knocking their business model to gradually build their club up,but their crowds will have tripled in those 10 years,so a fair few of them can be classed as glory hunters and jcls.

Man Utd may have attracted a lot of glory hunters in the 1990's, but they invariably had the highest average even when Liverpool were dominating English football. Partly because of the relative sizes of Anfield and OT, but also because they're a very well supported club. Most clubs' crowds shot up in the 90's as football was having a resurgence. I've been in sub-20k crowds at Arsenal, Spurs, West Ham, Chelsea, Man City, and Newcastle in the 80's. In Chelsea's case though, they were fairly unique in that there crowds would go up 20-25k when they were playing a "big" game like Liverpool at home. They were always fickle.

QPR's crowds go up when you're having a decent season, don't they? If you're not a season-ticket holder and the team are playing dogsh it football and losing most weeks, it's not unheard of for some fans to be less inclined to shell out £30+ on a ticket, than they would be to watch a successful side playing good football. I reckon that applies to most/all clubs. If the team's doing well, fans who might do 5-10 games a season because of work/money/family commitments are more likely to go the extra mile to get along more often. With Brentford, I would imagine the away end is sold out most weeks, whereas it wouldn't be in the lower divisions, so that bumps their average up too.

If you're a glory hunter and you support Brentford, Fulham or QPR, then you're very easily pleased on the glory front. And if you're a JCL, then better you finally made it to a "proper" club than spent the rest of your life being an annoying cun t clapping subs onto the pitch whilst watching Man Utd/Chelsea/Liverpool in your local pub. Except for the Man Utd/Brentford "Bees-up, Fulham down" div who I used to work with - I wish that t wat had stuck with Man Utd.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

BRENTFORD on 10:39 - Jul 30 with 2750 viewsterryb

BRENTFORD on 01:55 - Jul 30 by stowmarketrange

The only league ground still in Middlesex.

We all know why you refer to Brentford at Middlesex even though the county disappeared circa 1969.

If we went by the Post Office, would that mean that Suffolk has lost one of it's biggest towns as Lowestoft has a Norwich postcode? Sudbury would also be in Essex & Haverhill in Cambs. I'm all in favour of Haverhill moving though!
BRENTFORD on 11:18 - Jul 30 with 2690 viewswood_hoop

BRENTFORD on 10:39 - Jul 30 by terryb

We all know why you refer to Brentford at Middlesex even though the county disappeared circa 1969.

If we went by the Post Office, would that mean that Suffolk has lost one of it's biggest towns as Lowestoft has a Norwich postcode? Sudbury would also be in Essex & Haverhill in Cambs. I'm all in favour of Haverhill moving though!

Strange thing about counties, never realised just how close Sudbury is to border of Essex but has a Colchester starting postocode CO10, Essex maybe mocked in parts but again to my surprise the parts bodering Suffolk are truly nice parts of the county.

Many moons ago had trials for Middx shoolboys football team U 12/13, also ran in cross country county championship at Alley Palley, was considered a reasonably good standard to compete or trial for your county then, but I was living in north London then, covered quite a large chunk of London it seems.

So refering the Brentford lot as a Middlesex team is no dishonour in my eyes, but then I am an old fart and all these postcode thingys I look at as estate agent speak.
BRENTFORD on 11:25 - Jul 30 with 2658 viewsstowmarketrange

BRENTFORD on 10:39 - Jul 30 by terryb

Slightly different scenario though as you would address a letter to Lowestoft,Suffolk.You wouldn’t send a letter to Brentford,London borough of Hounslow.
Don’t blame me,blame the Royal Mail and the preserve Middlesex societies.
Login to get fewer ads

BRENTFORD on 11:31 - Jul 30 with 2648 viewshantssi

BRENTFORD on 22:16 - Jul 29 by bosh67

They seem to be what Bournemouth were as a club 5 years ago.

Without breaking FFP though!
Bournemouth would never have got promoted without that Russians money, they were spending it like confetti, it was all over the local news down here.
BRENTFORD on 12:37 - Jul 30 with 2559 viewsswitchingcode

BRENTFORD on 11:31 - Jul 30 by hantssi

Without breaking FFP though!
Bournemouth would never have got promoted without that Russians money, they were spending it like confetti, it was all over the local news down here.

Didn’t they pay a fine in the region of 5 mill ?
BRENTFORD on 14:03 - Jul 30 with 2417 viewsterryb

BRENTFORD on 11:25 - Jul 30 by stowmarketrange

Slightly different scenario though as you would address a letter to Lowestoft,Suffolk.You wouldn’t send a letter to Brentford,London borough of Hounslow.
Don’t blame me,blame the Royal Mail and the preserve Middlesex societies.

I certainly wouldn't!

I stopped putting counties in the address when postcodes came into being.

If I was to send a letter to Brentford FC I would send it to :-
Brentford FC
Griffin Park
Braemar Road
Brentford
TW8 0NT
BRENTFORD on 14:36 - Jul 30 with 2340 viewsstowmarketrange

BRENTFORD on 14:03 - Jul 30 by terryb

I certainly wouldn't!

I stopped putting counties in the address when postcodes came into being.

If I was to send a letter to Brentford FC I would send it to :-
Brentford FC
Griffin Park
Braemar Road
Brentford
TW8 0NT

With some of the people now being employed by Royal Mail it might be quicker and safer to take it there yourself.
BRENTFORD on 15:26 - Jul 30 with 2289 viewsPinnerPaul

BRENTFORD on 08:19 - Jul 29 by Northernr

I reckon they just have a special STROUD stamp for when appeals on his decisions come in. Don't even bother watching the incident just overturn it, stamp STROUD on it and let's get off to lunch.

I don't know what you thought of the incident Pinner but to me he was (not unusually) poorly positioned a long way from where it happened, good 30 yards if not more, and looking through it from behind. He was immediately surrounded by a complete overreaction from five or six Swansea players and seemed to base the decision on that and possibly communication with the fourth official. Either way it looked to me like he sent somebody off in a play-off semi-final for something he didn't actually see properly himself.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Only seen a quick replay, but, and this may surprise you! , your theory is exactly the general consensus on Ref Chat!

Normally red cards at this level, as we know, are shown pretty sharpish and there seems to be a delay there, which points to AR/4th official involvement.

As you would expect on a referee's forum, the condemnation of Mr S is pot quite as universal and a little more considered than a fans forum but even so he has a fair few on there who believe he isn't erm...... the best shall we say!
BRENTFORD on 15:28 - Jul 30 with 2285 viewsPinnerPaul

BRENTFORD on 21:39 - Jul 29 by longbottom

Griffin Park.........famous old ground? Erm why?

Every old ground is, same way that every club is a 'famil;y' club.
BRENTFORD on 15:30 - Jul 30 with 2281 viewsPinnerPaul

BRENTFORD on 10:03 - Jul 29 by daveB

can't believe I am going to defend Stroud but from his angle it did look a red card, the 4th official and the linesmen should have done more to help him and say he won the ball

which doesn't necessarily mean its not a foul/yellow/red of course!
BRENTFORD on 15:31 - Jul 30 with 2276 viewsPinnerPaul

BRENTFORD on 10:08 - Jul 29 by francisbowles

I thought it was a great tackle. I didn't think he actually made any significant contact with the opponent. Maybe there is an argument in today's game that there was excessive force, so yellow at worst.
[Post edited 29 Jul 2020 10:09]

Careless =Foul but No card
Reckless = Yellow
Excessive Force = Red

I'm going to educate you lot if its the last thing I do!
BRENTFORD on 15:34 - Jul 30 with 2261 viewsPinnerPaul

BRENTFORD on 10:14 - Jul 29 by terryb

I'm sure they said at the time that the 4th official told him it was a sendfing off.

I found that strange as many a time I've heard them say that the 4th official can't interfere!

I'm sure Brentford would have preferred a 0-0 draw with eleven on the pitch rather than have a sending off overturned!

With the exception of the reserve assistant referee, the ‘on-field’ match officials
assist the referee with offences when they have a clearer view than the referee
BRENTFORD on 15:43 - Jul 30 with 2217 viewstimcocking

BRENTFORD on 15:31 - Jul 30 by PinnerPaul

Reckless = Yellow
Excessive Force = Red

No, because we all know the real rules and now they've changed them to bollox.

Excessive force plus ball = great tackle
[Post edited 30 Jul 2020 15:44]
BRENTFORD on 02:44 - Jul 31 with 2010 viewsNewBee

BRENTFORD on 02:17 - Jul 30 by stowmarketrange

I've heard Bees fans called a few things in my time, but "Glory Hunter" isn't one of them!

I mean 10 years ago we were in Lge One and last season we finished 11th in the Championship! Griffin Park is old, decrepit and sorely lacking in comfort and decent facilities and there are "glamorous" alternatives in Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs all within a Tube ride for those seeking glory.

Tbh, there are a number of reasons why BFC's crowds have increased. In no particular order:
The football on display is the most attractive anyone can remember meaning fans are making every effort to attend as many games as possible;
Ditto because the team is winning;
The above also make it easier for fans to persuade mates to come along, some of whom get hooked;
Fans who simply cannot get tickets for Prem games give BFC a try, and some come back;
The atmosphere also persuades casuals and first timers to commit;
Some people like terraces, esp away fans;
The number of tourists to London and overseas football fans who take in a game at GP these days never fails to amaze;
The club is much better at promoting and marketing itself and our profile nationally has never been higher;
Ticket prices are quite good value - esp families/kids;
Lots of ground hoppers and lapsed fans have been making a visit before GP closes for good;
A couple of generations ago, Bees often had 5 figures crowds even in the 3rd or 4th Division - family ties mean that some of their children or grandchildren are now "rediscovering" BFC, since it is still a community club;
Speaking of which, the Brentford Community Trust does outstanding work, which has really helped our image and reputation.

Now maybe you consider some of that to be "glory hunting" - fair enough.

But every diehard fan had to attend his/her first game sometime. And if BFC can keep on track for another 10 years like the last 10, then instead of having a hardcore of 5-6k, with the same again from the above list making 12k at each game as at present, I confidently predict the club will build to a hardcore of 10-12k, win or lose, and even after the New Stadium Novelty or the "glory" has worn off.

And isn't 10-12k about the size of QPR's hardcore these days?
BRENTFORD on 03:43 - Jul 31 with 1990 viewstimcocking

This Championship final will be a literal waking nightmare.
BRENTFORD on 11:10 - Jul 31 with 1827 viewsfrancisbowles

BRENTFORD on 15:31 - Jul 30 by PinnerPaul

Reckless = Yellow
Excessive Force = Red

Cheers Pinner.

Now I need to learn how to tell the difference.

Can you enlighten me please and why excessive force is considered worse than reckless?
BRENTFORD on 11:11 - Jul 31 with 1819 viewsNorthernr

BRENTFORD on 11:10 - Jul 31 by francisbowles

Cheers Pinner.

Now I need to learn how to tell the difference.

Can you enlighten me please and why excessive force is considered worse than reckless?

Because one's deliberate? (I'm guessing)

Always remember Collina talking about how he told the difference between whether a player had just accidentally/recklessly elbowed an opponent or deliberately gone to do it - was the fist clenched or palm open? If you're just using an arm for leverage your palm is open, if you're deliberately elbowing somebody with it your fist is clenched.

BRENTFORD on 11:21 - Jul 31 with 1780 viewsfrancisbowles

BRENTFORD on 11:11 - Jul 31 by Northernr

Because one's deliberate? (I'm guessing)

Always remember Collina talking about how he told the difference between whether a player had just accidentally/recklessly elbowed an opponent or deliberately gone to do it - was the fist clenched or palm open? If you're just using an arm for leverage your palm is open, if you're deliberately elbowing somebody with it your fist is clenched.

Thanks Clive. I will watch for that in future.

Excessive force is subjective though, isn't it? I didn't think Rico Henry's tackle was bad but it was quite strong by modern standards. However, it was overturned so I guess that view was the final verdict and Brentford have made it to Wembley as well, so no whinging allowed there either.
BRENTFORD on 11:53 - Jul 31 with 1730 viewsAntti_Heinola

Anyone else absolutely boed and baffled by the endless 'bigger club / bigger fans / purer fans / stadium size / fan base size' arguments?
Why does anyone give a fk if they're average gate is higher than the next club? What does it mean or prove? Oooh! My club's bigger than yours! So?
It's like when one team is losing and they're fans start singing '2-0 and you still don't sing'. And? We're winning, lads.
Pathetic.

Bare bones.

BRENTFORD on 12:27 - Jul 31 with 1692 viewsNorthernr

BRENTFORD on 11:53 - Jul 31 by Antti_Heinola

Anyone else absolutely boed and baffled by the endless 'bigger club / bigger fans / purer fans / stadium size / fan base size' arguments?
Why does anyone give a fk if they're average gate is higher than the next club? What does it mean or prove? Oooh! My club's bigger than yours! So?
It's like when one team is losing and they're fans start singing '2-0 and you still don't sing'. And? We're winning, lads.
Pathetic.

I occasionally get asked "best fans at Loftus Road this season" when we do reciprocal interviews for other sites and that's always pretty much my answer. I either deliberately go for Burton or somebody that brought 50 die hards, or point out that anybody who pays the rail fares in this country to watch Championship football is worthy of respect/help.

It's just dick swinging isn't it?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024