Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lack of goal threat 21:03 - Jul 8 with 1785 viewsbosh67

Amazing how we have gone from being such an attacking team to a side that really seems to get lost going forward. There seems to be a lack of confidence in just playing with some freedom. Tonight was a big chance for the likes of Oteh. Not that one game makes or breaks anything but without Hugill and with Eze, BOS and Chair all looking like they've never scored a goal it is a bit concerning that we simply seem to have lost that freedom to play as expansively as we were.

It's not that we are losing by the odd goal but more that we just aren't creating real chances. I am quite surprised how off their game generally EZE, BOS and Chair have been. Moments of brilliance of course but not that real sense of threat at all. Maybe EZE and BOS's minds are elsewhere but both are pretty down to earth well balanced characters.

Could it just be that they are simply having a really bad run of form. I noticed that after we beat Boro that Warburton seemed to be trying to gee up BOS who seemed to look very cheesed off with himself.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Lack of goal threat on 21:18 - Jul 8 with 1737 viewsNov77

According to the Warbmeister General we could have had three tonight.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Lack of goal threat on 21:20 - Jul 8 with 1721 viewsbosh67

Lack of goal threat on 21:18 - Jul 8 by Nov77

According to the Warbmeister General we could have had three tonight.

Yeah bit watch it. That's the first time I have seen him genuinely angry with his team all season.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Lack of goal threat on 21:52 - Jul 8 with 1614 viewsdaveB

We did get into good positions early on to score but nothing came of any of them, poor final ball or no shot offered, as an attacking unit we've been poor since the restart. I don't think there was any point tonight where I thought we might score.

The free kick at the end killed me, out on the left an opportunity to put the ball in the box and try and make something happen but we played it back to Lumley who then gave it away, not Lumleys fault at all but the lack of attacking intent we are showing is not good enough
Lack of goal threat on 22:03 - Jul 8 with 1568 viewsNov77

Lack of goal threat on 21:52 - Jul 8 by daveB

We did get into good positions early on to score but nothing came of any of them, poor final ball or no shot offered, as an attacking unit we've been poor since the restart. I don't think there was any point tonight where I thought we might score.

The free kick at the end killed me, out on the left an opportunity to put the ball in the box and try and make something happen but we played it back to Lumley who then gave it away, not Lumleys fault at all but the lack of attacking intent we are showing is not good enough

It’s not just us, it’s modern football in general, almost as if retaining possession is preferable to potentially losing it in an attempt to get a shot on goal.

It’s boring. Does my head in when players get in a good position to cross then go back to the midfield, who then go to the back four who then go back to the goalkeeper until somebody eventually decides to hoof it anyway.

In 4 of the 5 games we've played since the restart we’ve had 2 or less shots on target.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Lack of goal threat on 22:13 - Jul 8 with 1537 viewsTacticalR

I think we're forgetting that there were games before Christmas where our attack got snuffed out and we didn't have any chances e.g. Leeds away in November, and that was with both Wells and Hugill playing.

Air hostess clique

Lack of goal threat on 23:39 - Jul 8 with 1388 viewsCiderwithRsie

Lack of goal threat on 22:13 - Jul 8 by TacticalR

I think we're forgetting that there were games before Christmas where our attack got snuffed out and we didn't have any chances e.g. Leeds away in November, and that was with both Wells and Hugill playing.

"both Wells and Hugill"

Well let's face it that's half the current problem, we lost one of our two established strikers (the better one) at the end of January and the other one at Borough. Oteh has barely played for us.

You can't expect
- Oteh to look like a first choice Championship striker with no experience in the role
- Chair to change overnight from a creative player judged on making chances to a clinical striker who nervelessly puts away a clear chance when he gets it
- Eze to be the destroyer of defences when they don't have a predatory striker to fear. It's a team game and the roles feed off each other - look how much more effective Taarabt was when Helguson was in the side.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not happy, but it's not that hard to see what we need to fix the problem.
Lack of goal threat on 02:18 - Jul 9 with 1290 viewstimcocking

Everybody should try to relax...

http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/20200707-the-birthplace-of-traditional-thai-mass

But yeah, we don't even have a real team at the moment.
Lack of goal threat on 02:19 - Jul 9 with 1289 viewstimcocking

Perhaps Hugil's hair is so bad it's put everybody else off their game? If the only senior striker in the squad has hair like that, you'd realise you were in deep trouble.
[Post edited 9 Jul 2020 2:21]
Login to get fewer ads

Lack of goal threat on 08:19 - Jul 9 with 1120 viewsTheChef

Lack of goal threat on 23:39 - Jul 8 by CiderwithRsie

"both Wells and Hugill"

Well let's face it that's half the current problem, we lost one of our two established strikers (the better one) at the end of January and the other one at Borough. Oteh has barely played for us.

You can't expect
- Oteh to look like a first choice Championship striker with no experience in the role
- Chair to change overnight from a creative player judged on making chances to a clinical striker who nervelessly puts away a clear chance when he gets it
- Eze to be the destroyer of defences when they don't have a predatory striker to fear. It's a team game and the roles feed off each other - look how much more effective Taarabt was when Helguson was in the side.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not happy, but it's not that hard to see what we need to fix the problem.

And it's not an easy problem to fix - maybe we can get Hugill back for another loan spell next season?

Being positive, we are creating chances but not putting them away.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Lack of goal threat on 09:45 - Jul 9 with 1011 viewsrsonist

Lack of goal threat on 21:20 - Jul 8 by bosh67

Yeah bit watch it. That's the first time I have seen him genuinely angry with his team all season.

You're all watching the football. Schoolboy error. The real suspense thriller story of the season all along has been waiting for when Warbs finally snaps and makes Nick London the Buzsaky to his Magilton.
Lack of goal threat on 10:52 - Jul 9 with 913 viewsNorthantsHoop

I think Wigan are a decent team their recent run of form before and after the lockdown has been excellent, shame they are in the financial shit. Remembering back to the home game at the start of the season they were all over us in the 1st half and took the lead. Warburton changed formation second half and we blitzed them 3-1.
Without Hugill we just looked lightweight, for all his misses he does get stuck in and can hold up play and cause a nuisance. He can also deliver some great goals eg. Wigan at home and Boro on Sunday. Watching Oteh yesterday could not work out his forward role, he seemed to be too wide at times and not central enough. If we do ever sign a striker before next season need someone like Moore from Wigan, who has the physical stature and can run. Would sign Hugill again on loan or as a makeweight in a deal for Eze with West Ham, but as long as we get a substantial enough fee for him, say around £15m. Would be a bit concerned in taking Amos as a makeweight from Tottenham in an Eze deal, unless it was £20m plus Amos.
Lack of goal threat on 10:52 - Jul 9 with 912 viewsCiderwithRsie

Lack of goal threat on 08:19 - Jul 9 by TheChef

And it's not an easy problem to fix - maybe we can get Hugill back for another loan spell next season?

Being positive, we are creating chances but not putting them away.

Is it really that hard? The target isn't promotion next year, it's improvement while keeping the finances sound.

We need a reliable goal scorer who is ours and not a loanee who can pee off midseason. Doesn't have to be the next Charlie Austin, good enough is good enough.

Wasn't possible this year due to finances and need to rebuild elsewhere having gutted the midfield (Luongo and Freeman). Next year FFP is easing, we have fewer gaps to fill, and we may have cash from selling one of Eze, BOS or Manning.

A challenge to find a good striker, a solid CD and a box-to-box midfielder at fair price but not unrealistic IMO.
Lack of goal threat on 12:44 - Jul 9 with 839 viewsfrancisbowles

Lack of goal threat on 10:52 - Jul 9 by CiderwithRsie

Is it really that hard? The target isn't promotion next year, it's improvement while keeping the finances sound.

We need a reliable goal scorer who is ours and not a loanee who can pee off midseason. Doesn't have to be the next Charlie Austin, good enough is good enough.

Wasn't possible this year due to finances and need to rebuild elsewhere having gutted the midfield (Luongo and Freeman). Next year FFP is easing, we have fewer gaps to fill, and we may have cash from selling one of Eze, BOS or Manning.

A challenge to find a good striker, a solid CD and a box-to-box midfielder at fair price but not unrealistic IMO.

Yes agree Juzzie, but good strikers. Proven ones always in demand, cost big money in wages and/or transfer fees and agents. Unproven ones (at this level), you take a risk.

We paid good money on Washington, decent bloke, trier but too small and not up to this division. I believe, small strikers tend to be better when in pairs or as second striker of a bigger target man type.

Priorities for me are height, then pace before finishing. The Wigan striker looked good.
Even relatively poor finishers like Hugill and Bamford will get goals if the service is good and they bring something to the team with their presence. Otherwise, wise manager/coaches like Bielsa and Warburton wouldn't keep picking them.

We really missed Hugill last night, didn't have that option to hit the big man from anywhere on the field. I think BOS started off trying to do that but started drifting towards his more natural position and Oteh doesn't seem tall enough to be a front striker.
We therefore had to play out from the back much more. Wigan had planned for this and made it difficult for us, leaving Lumley to try and find the wingbacks, which is tricky with kicks, as the margin of error is very small.

I believe we signed a Danish? striker recently. Don't know anything about him but I think he is tall. He is supposed to be one for the future, whenever that is. He is young and has has his career stalled through injury and Warburton may have mentioned he has a knock at the moment. Maybe if he is ok before the end of the season and Hugill is still injured we could give him some minutes.

I think this is the kind of striker that we will have to try and work with. It will be hit and miss but we may get lucky or one may come through the juniors in a couple of years.

If we really can't find any (preferably two or more) then we may have to get an experienced or loan (or two) again.
Lack of goal threat on 12:45 - Jul 9 with 837 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Lack of goal threat on 12:44 - Jul 9 by francisbowles

Yes agree Juzzie, but good strikers. Proven ones always in demand, cost big money in wages and/or transfer fees and agents. Unproven ones (at this level), you take a risk.

We paid good money on Washington, decent bloke, trier but too small and not up to this division. I believe, small strikers tend to be better when in pairs or as second striker of a bigger target man type.

Priorities for me are height, then pace before finishing. The Wigan striker looked good.
Even relatively poor finishers like Hugill and Bamford will get goals if the service is good and they bring something to the team with their presence. Otherwise, wise manager/coaches like Bielsa and Warburton wouldn't keep picking them.

We really missed Hugill last night, didn't have that option to hit the big man from anywhere on the field. I think BOS started off trying to do that but started drifting towards his more natural position and Oteh doesn't seem tall enough to be a front striker.
We therefore had to play out from the back much more. Wigan had planned for this and made it difficult for us, leaving Lumley to try and find the wingbacks, which is tricky with kicks, as the margin of error is very small.

I believe we signed a Danish? striker recently. Don't know anything about him but I think he is tall. He is supposed to be one for the future, whenever that is. He is young and has has his career stalled through injury and Warburton may have mentioned he has a knock at the moment. Maybe if he is ok before the end of the season and Hugill is still injured we could give him some minutes.

I think this is the kind of striker that we will have to try and work with. It will be hit and miss but we may get lucky or one may come through the juniors in a couple of years.

If we really can't find any (preferably two or more) then we may have to get an experienced or loan (or two) again.

This is a good point. Where is Ramkilde?
[Post edited 9 Jul 2020 12:47]
Lack of goal threat on 13:40 - Jul 9 with 779 viewsBucksRanger

Lack of goal threat on 12:45 - Jul 9 by BazzaInTheLoft

This is a good point. Where is Ramkilde?
[Post edited 9 Jul 2020 12:47]

Hamstring injury. Won't be fit for another week or so.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024