Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Owls match thread 11:34 - Jul 10 with 25452 viewsTheChef

Never started one before - nothing to lose, beach towels out, deckchairs out, Factor 50 out.

Would be best for everyone if we just took a point each and saved everyone the bother.

Prediction: QPR 0 Sheffield Wednesday 1

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Owls match thread on 17:35 - Jul 11 with 1396 viewsgolborne

They have been very poor since the restart. However, many of them are poor players and that gets overlooked, instead the henchmen target the talented ones. It was Bright and hugill first 2-3 games, now brights a trier and it’s manning and eze, and the manager who is probably simply trying to instil some confidence into an attack minded team, rather than say they pass sideways and are pony. We’ve had no outlet in the forward pos for 2 games, so much so that the likes of manning doesn’t even bother crossing it, as it’s a waste of time - but these players needed looking at before next year, so we know where we’re at. It’s really insulting to say that players aren’t trying because they’re possibly off form, or things haven’t worked out. Did you see eze chase the keeper down post his mistake - not seen him do anything like that all season. And again when he took a bad touch under the tv gantry and won it back using his determination and strength, an amazing drag back and shift of feet, and a sublime ball down the channel to bright. I happily pay good money to watch that sort of stuff.
Id say the one thing that has been consistent though is that many of you are a petulant disgrace with your comments, or clueless at best.
Owls match thread on 17:37 - Jul 11 with 1388 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Owls match thread on 17:29 - Jul 11 by BostonR

I thought that we would be in a better FFP position next season so perhaps we should pause the panic button?

Agreed.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Owls match thread on 17:38 - Jul 11 with 1369 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Owls match thread on 17:12 - Jul 11 by St_Pollock

There's no money, we haven't paid a fee for 3 years and if we sell the money is going mostly to off pitch requirements.

It's not being pessimistic to say we're possibly in a relegation fight next season.

Do you trust Warburton and his one plan approach to see us through?

Do you ever post in the easy times?

Owls match thread on 17:41 - Jul 11 with 1333 viewsSt_Pollock

Owls match thread on 17:38 - Jul 11 by BrianMcCarthy

Do you want to send me a list of times I can post, topics I can post on and mantras I have to remember as I don't think I received it after I made the faux pas of defending a Man Utd player over one of ours...

Sorry.

Baaaa Baaaa baaaa!
Owls match thread on 17:47 - Jul 11 with 1272 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Owls match thread on 17:41 - Jul 11 by St_Pollock

Do you want to send me a list of times I can post, topics I can post on and mantras I have to remember as I don't think I received it after I made the faux pas of defending a Man Utd player over one of ours...

Sorry.

Baaaa Baaaa baaaa!

No, I'll leave it to you. But I wonder if you'll ever swamp the board after a win.

I hope so. I'd like to see you happy.

Owls match thread on 17:48 - Jul 11 with 1264 viewsManinBlack

It feels like we were safe in mid table and came back with the attitude there is little to play for. The problem for us is that everyone we have played have had something to play for and therefore have that extra intensity. The last three games will be the same script so it is hard to see us scoring let alone getting another point.

I made the mistake in thinking Wednesday also had nothing to play for but they could yet get points deducted so they must have felt they needed a win. They have now scored 36 away goals which I think is as good as Brentford.

It is our attitude that is adding to my personal depression and my team are doing nothing to lift the gloom. It appears we cannot play in empty stadiums which doesn't bode well for a positive start to next season.

Perhaps because our players don't have fans to shout at them to up their games then they are just going through the motions as no stick being dished out to get their fingers out. It riles me to see similarly safe Reading go away to relegation haunted Luton and Charlton and win whilst we look uninterested.
Owls match thread on 17:52 - Jul 11 with 1240 viewsDannytheR

Abject performance yet again but how people look at us and choose to dig out Eze of all people is beyond me. No midfield worth the name to support him ever, no-one bar a plucky trier like Hugill to play off and now not even that. What's he supposed to do, metamorphose into Gerrard when Liverpool were at their worst and beat entire teams on his own?

A lot of players would be seeing out their last few games ahead of a big move at strolling pace - Charlie Austin spent half a season doing it - but he's out there, running, chasing, in matches that mean next to nothing, for a club he won't even be at next year.

He spent most of that match taking the ball off people in his own half because Ball and Amos are too timid and incompetent to play a forward pass.

And people want to slate him for lack of *leadership*? Eh? We've got an actual captain, not that you'd know who it is from watching us, and we've just given Cameron and his greasy ponytail another year, jogging about in seemingly random directions, letting opposition players stop for tea and scones en route to a second ball and *still* make it before him, and aiming the occasional hospital pass at younger players who are supposed to be learning from his example. What leadership has ever come from that direction?

But no, from amid that badly managed rabble of nervous kids and one-last-payday merchants, apparently *Eze* is the problem.

We get the players we deserve sometimes, we really do.
Owls match thread on 17:57 - Jul 11 with 1196 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Owls match thread on 17:52 - Jul 11 by DannytheR

Abject performance yet again but how people look at us and choose to dig out Eze of all people is beyond me. No midfield worth the name to support him ever, no-one bar a plucky trier like Hugill to play off and now not even that. What's he supposed to do, metamorphose into Gerrard when Liverpool were at their worst and beat entire teams on his own?

A lot of players would be seeing out their last few games ahead of a big move at strolling pace - Charlie Austin spent half a season doing it - but he's out there, running, chasing, in matches that mean next to nothing, for a club he won't even be at next year.

He spent most of that match taking the ball off people in his own half because Ball and Amos are too timid and incompetent to play a forward pass.

And people want to slate him for lack of *leadership*? Eh? We've got an actual captain, not that you'd know who it is from watching us, and we've just given Cameron and his greasy ponytail another year, jogging about in seemingly random directions, letting opposition players stop for tea and scones en route to a second ball and *still* make it before him, and aiming the occasional hospital pass at younger players who are supposed to be learning from his example. What leadership has ever come from that direction?

But no, from amid that badly managed rabble of nervous kids and one-last-payday merchants, apparently *Eze* is the problem.

We get the players we deserve sometimes, we really do.

Good post.

I'm torn on Eze. Today BOS worked very hard, I think Eze did too to a slightly lesser degree. He even cleaned out their goalie which I loved. But he seems to be 10 yards from the action at the moment (as a friend just succinctly put it to me) - is that lack of confidence?

Login to get fewer ads

Owls match thread on 17:58 - Jul 11 with 1184 viewsDixie_CT

It’s all a bit depressing and today summed up our post-pandemic return!!

Not going to have much impact on games starting without a recognised striker. Whether he rates Oteh or not, he is all we have got.

What he did to Masterson was shameful. Conor was ‘sacrificed’ but Ball or Amos could have gone and Cameron pushed on. Woeful decision.

Wednesday went direct and at our heart, which was simple yet so effective.

Not enough desire either, downed tools or on the beach but not in W12 to win 3 points.

Scrape survival and do what we can in the summer and it feels like another complete overhaul is needed to maintain lower mid table.

Kakay and Lumley have been the brightest of a very dark spot.

Depressing as hell, should have ended the season 👀
Owls match thread on 18:02 - Jul 11 with 1165 viewsGloryHunter

Owls match thread on 17:03 - Jul 11 by qprxtc

To quote Ian Dury:

“A rseholes, bastards, f ucking c unts and pricks”.

There’s your match report Clive.

Are you sure you don't mean Iain Dowie?
Owls match thread on 18:07 - Jul 11 with 1144 viewsTacticalR

Owls match thread on 17:38 - Jul 11 by BrianMcCarthy

The vultures have landed.

Air hostess clique

Owls match thread on 18:19 - Jul 11 with 1106 viewsVancouverHoop

It's easy to forget how young most of our squad is. They're still maturing as players, and as people. We need two or three solid experienced pros. Not internationals, just players who've been around the block a few times and know how to manage a game. It'll cost us a couple of the kids but we all know that's how it has to be, or should do.

This closed door period has been rubbish. The lack of a crowd hurts us more than most teams. We're physically close to the players. It intimidates the oppo, and inspires our team, especially the youngsters.

Another win would be nice as we play out the string, but if it doesn't happen it's no time for pitchforks and torches. The talent is there, we just need the patience to let it blossom.
Owls match thread on 18:20 - Jul 11 with 1106 viewsDannytheR

Owls match thread on 17:57 - Jul 11 by BrianMcCarthy

Good post.

I'm torn on Eze. Today BOS worked very hard, I think Eze did too to a slightly lesser degree. He even cleaned out their goalie which I loved. But he seems to be 10 yards from the action at the moment (as a friend just succinctly put it to me) - is that lack of confidence?

I know what you mean about him being on the edge of things, but most of the time we seem to be wilfully not building the play around him. Warburton's world famous Plan A barely gives him any chance to get on the ball, much less bring other people into the game. (Although who they would be anyway is anyone's guess.)

We knock it about in triangles for minutes at a time on the halfway line as if we're hoping to send the opposition to sleep, one of the defenders playing it 10 yards in front of them to Ball or Amos, who then plays it 10 yards in a straight line out to the wing, who then plays it 10 yards back to one of the defenders. Etc, etc.

Most of the time it eventually breaks down when Cameron can't even do that much, or Ball or Amos or Manning dawdles about so long they have the ball nicked off them, but even when we manage to move to the next phase in this tactical masterplan, it's invariably a lofted ball down the line for Osayi Samuel, Clarke or Shodipo to run onto. A couple of times every half we successfully manage to get that far, at which point they either send in a cross with no-one in the box or pass it back to Ball and Amos, who then pass it back to the defenders, who then pass it back to Ball and Amos. And so on.

What role the manager wants Eze to be playing while this Cruyffian total football is going on around him is anyone's guess, and it doesn't seem the boy himself knows either.
Owls match thread on 18:22 - Jul 11 with 1094 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Owls match thread on 18:19 - Jul 11 by VancouverHoop

It's easy to forget how young most of our squad is. They're still maturing as players, and as people. We need two or three solid experienced pros. Not internationals, just players who've been around the block a few times and know how to manage a game. It'll cost us a couple of the kids but we all know that's how it has to be, or should do.

This closed door period has been rubbish. The lack of a crowd hurts us more than most teams. We're physically close to the players. It intimidates the oppo, and inspires our team, especially the youngsters.

Another win would be nice as we play out the string, but if it doesn't happen it's no time for pitchforks and torches. The talent is there, we just need the patience to let it blossom.

Very sensible.

Owls match thread on 18:33 - Jul 11 with 1048 viewsW12Mikey

Owls match thread on 18:20 - Jul 11 by DannytheR

I know what you mean about him being on the edge of things, but most of the time we seem to be wilfully not building the play around him. Warburton's world famous Plan A barely gives him any chance to get on the ball, much less bring other people into the game. (Although who they would be anyway is anyone's guess.)

We knock it about in triangles for minutes at a time on the halfway line as if we're hoping to send the opposition to sleep, one of the defenders playing it 10 yards in front of them to Ball or Amos, who then plays it 10 yards in a straight line out to the wing, who then plays it 10 yards back to one of the defenders. Etc, etc.

Most of the time it eventually breaks down when Cameron can't even do that much, or Ball or Amos or Manning dawdles about so long they have the ball nicked off them, but even when we manage to move to the next phase in this tactical masterplan, it's invariably a lofted ball down the line for Osayi Samuel, Clarke or Shodipo to run onto. A couple of times every half we successfully manage to get that far, at which point they either send in a cross with no-one in the box or pass it back to Ball and Amos, who then pass it back to the defenders, who then pass it back to Ball and Amos. And so on.

What role the manager wants Eze to be playing while this Cruyffian total football is going on around him is anyone's guess, and it doesn't seem the boy himself knows either.

I totally agree. Eze is a player who can pick out a good pass and dribble past opponents, and his finishing, which is not his strongest natural attribute, has improved. But we are currently asking him to play in his own half with no creative outlet to pass to, where all his positive aspects are completely wasted. We're also playing at such a slow pace that opponents can mark him closely throughout the game. It's not that he's suddenly become a bad player or stopped trying, it's that Warburton currently can't find the right formation/system to use him properly, not helped by being without a recognised senior striker.
Owls match thread on 18:37 - Jul 11 with 1025 viewsrsonist

Owls match thread on 18:19 - Jul 11 by VancouverHoop

Hopefully you're right. I would say this is looking more unseemly than a little baby youth team out of its depth though.
Owls match thread on 19:16 - Jul 11 with 947 viewsslmrstid

The one advantage to watching QPR being utterly appalling since the restart is I haven't at least travelled from Leicester to watch them be utterly appalling.

Not that the comfort of the living room makes it much better!
Owls match thread on 09:54 - Jul 13 with 613 viewsTheChef

Oh well, I won't be doing that again. Unless we have a must-lose game.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024