Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Getting a Dog 10:04 - Jul 15 with 15099 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Ok, lads this is huge. Don't mess this up!

I've always wanted a dog. I mean really wanted a dog. Always had a dog as a kid. Either a Labrador Retriever or a Golden Retriever. But I could never have one as an adult. i just moved around too much. Wouldn't be fair.

But, with the last few years, and now the last few months, I've been working from home almost full-time. I've also finally got family living nearby to mind my dog if I do have to head away for work or holidays.

I'm single with no kids. I live in a small city but with plenty parks and fields nearby.
If not now, then I'd have to wonder when.

The question is - am I mad? What am I not considering?

Have any of you any advice, please?

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Getting a Dog on 10:48 - Jul 16 with 1767 views2Thomas2Bowles

Getting a Dog on 10:35 - Jul 16 by PunteR

Yeh I've been on that site loads recently and there's dodgy stuff going on there for sure. Photos used from Google images claiming it's their dog and to send a deposited if you want one. Putting prices up once interest us shown. The prices have gone up for defo mate. Staffy full bred are £2000 - £3500.

I've had mine coming up to 9 years and I got them from a registered breeder
£500 each then.

Today there is an ad on there for Lhasa apso £1500

Last year they cost £700-£1000 from most breeders

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Getting a Dog on 20:49 - Jul 17 with 1585 views2Thomas2Bowles

How's the search going Brian?

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Getting a Dog on 22:32 - Jul 17 with 1552 viewsLblock

Please, please, please, please, please, please, please....

Never, ever use Pets4Homes, Gumtree or similar sites to obtain a dog, cat or even a goldfish

Riddled with scammers, scum and down right villains

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Getting a Dog on 22:39 - Jul 17 with 1546 viewsMonahoop

Love dogs especially Labs or Lab types. Lost my faithful, loyal Lab/Collie cross Fizz back in April. [On my birthday of all days]. Fourteen and a half years of great times. A true friend.
Would I get another dog? Probably yes, but not ready just yet. Too soon I feel.
Great things said on this thread and Brian, go for it. Get one. Good luck.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

Getting a Dog on 23:28 - Jul 17 with 1527 viewswombat

Getting a Dog on 22:39 - Jul 17 by Monahoop

Love dogs especially Labs or Lab types. Lost my faithful, loyal Lab/Collie cross Fizz back in April. [On my birthday of all days]. Fourteen and a half years of great times. A true friend.
Would I get another dog? Probably yes, but not ready just yet. Too soon I feel.
Great things said on this thread and Brian, go for it. Get one. Good luck.

Lab puppies are being sold for up to 3k at the moment before lockdown anything from£900 to 1400 for a top pedigree dog, we got our two for £800 each hue pedigree on both side both at 6 months old barking mad and will only get worse , anyone looking for a dog try a rescue all the main breeds will have a rescue or many rescues for rehoming esp in the coming months when the COVID pup novelty wears off

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Getting a Dog on 00:58 - Jul 18 with 1509 viewsBoston

I live very close to the Blue Hills in Massachusetts, take a walk up there with ‘man’s best friend’ most evenings. An hour or so ago my ‘happy boy’ goes ballistic and darts in front of me pouncing on something in the grass. Within seconds I realize he has a snake in his mouth, twisting and turning he is going totally berserk, biting the head right off the viper. Took a good few minutes to calm him down, but hey, not an everyday occurrence. Anyway, he may have saved my life, so McCarthy, get a dog, it may save yours.
[Post edited 18 Jul 2020 1:02]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Getting a Dog on 01:02 - Jul 18 with 1504 viewsqprxtc

Getting a Dog on 01:05 - Jul 18 with 1502 viewsBoston

Edit...sorry, forgot St Patrick already sorted that out.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Login to get fewer ads

Getting a Dog on 02:40 - Jul 18 with 1485 viewsFredManRave

This really is a great thread and I don't want to cause confrontation but I personally feel that while there are dogs in shelters, especially ones close to you, to then go and buy a dog because it's a special or sought after breed kind of defeats the object.

You should be getting a dog for the companionship, loyalty and love it will undoubtedly offer, not because it's trendy, fashionable or the best looking.

I fell into that trap initially but will now only ever take in shelter and/or rescue dogs as per my present two.

I think we can all rely and depend on Brian to make the right decision...
[Post edited 18 Jul 2020 2:44]

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Getting a Dog on 03:06 - Jul 18 with 1474 viewstimcocking

Getting a Dog on 00:58 - Jul 18 by Boston

I live very close to the Blue Hills in Massachusetts, take a walk up there with ‘man’s best friend’ most evenings. An hour or so ago my ‘happy boy’ goes ballistic and darts in front of me pouncing on something in the grass. Within seconds I realize he has a snake in his mouth, twisting and turning he is going totally berserk, biting the head right off the viper. Took a good few minutes to calm him down, but hey, not an everyday occurrence. Anyway, he may have saved my life, so McCarthy, get a dog, it may save yours.
[Post edited 18 Jul 2020 1:02]

My dog got bitten by a viper.

Fcuking vet, useless as usual, didn't realise it was a snakebite, said total liver failure and we have to put Archie to sleep as he's in pain and will never recover.

We couldn't bring ourselves to do it, then the next day his foot swelled up like a tennis ball with two puncture marks. Took him a year to recover but he lived a good long while after. God i loved that dog.
Getting a Dog on 14:36 - Aug 24 with 1326 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Picked up my pup today, and just wanted to say thanks to all of you.

He'a nine weeks old, a Golden Labrador, friendly but chilled, has one brown eye, one that's blue and white and answers, naturally, to the name Stanley.

Thanks again.

Getting a Dog on 14:39 - Aug 24 with 1317 viewsMick_S

Getting a Dog on 14:36 - Aug 24 by BrianMcCarthy

He'a nine weeks old, a Golden Labrador, friendly but chilled, has one brown eye, one that's blue and white and answers, naturally, to the name Stanley.

Thanks again.

Great stuff.
[Post edited 24 Aug 2020 15:24]

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Getting a Dog on 14:49 - Aug 24 with 1299 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Getting a Dog on 02:40 - Jul 18 by FredManRave

This really is a great thread and I don't want to cause confrontation but I personally feel that while there are dogs in shelters, especially ones close to you, to then go and buy a dog because it's a special or sought after breed kind of defeats the object.

You should be getting a dog for the companionship, loyalty and love it will undoubtedly offer, not because it's trendy, fashionable or the best looking.

I fell into that trap initially but will now only ever take in shelter and/or rescue dogs as per my present two.

I think we can all rely and depend on Brian to make the right decision...
[Post edited 18 Jul 2020 2:44]

Magnificent post FredManRave and its an opinion board so everyone has their own ideas.Getting a dog from a shelter is one of the most rewarding things a person can do on this planet.Deep down in their hearts/souls those animals know their days could be numbered and they will latch on to you once you approach the cage.They have been abused,abandoned,neglected but they are ready to find a new forever home and God knows they deserve their shot .
Of course its not cheap trying to repair their bodies but every penny spent will be worthwhile when they run to the door day after day when they hear you coming.Apart from my children the injured abused dog I rescued in 2014 (now a healthy active bundle of energy )is one of the true accomplishments I have done ever.
Good luck to Brian and all dog lovers because after the COVID lockdowns I fear the amount of dogs abandoned this winter could be bad and they will need us all
Getting a Dog on 14:55 - Aug 24 with 1290 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I tried my shelter for weeks but they only have three dogs, the most they ever had was four and I was first on the waiting list for a lab but they haven't had one. I suppose that's good news that the few shelter dogs are finding homes.

In the end I went for Stanley because of his eye. The owner said it was putting some people off. once I saw him that was that.

Getting a Dog on 15:03 - Aug 24 with 1264 viewsLblock

Brilliant news Bri and, whilst young Stanley will thank you every day, I feel compelled to also thanking you for this course of action.

Think I mentioned my Sister In Law runs her own dog rescue up in Northampton and the tales of sheer horror she tells us are soul destroying. We've got both our dogs (currently both laying at my feet whilst I "work") and they have been an absolute joy...... don't tell them I said that though.
Welcome to the strange world of inspecting shit in the woods!

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Getting a Dog on 15:46 - Aug 24 with 1209 viewsGloucs_R

Enjoy Brian. Love my Labrador to bits.

Poll: Are we staying up?

Getting a Dog on 15:51 - Aug 24 with 1200 viewskensalriser

Getting a Dog on 15:03 - Aug 24 by Lblock

Brilliant news Bri and, whilst young Stanley will thank you every day, I feel compelled to also thanking you for this course of action.

Think I mentioned my Sister In Law runs her own dog rescue up in Northampton and the tales of sheer horror she tells us are soul destroying. We've got both our dogs (currently both laying at my feet whilst I "work") and they have been an absolute joy...... don't tell them I said that though.
Welcome to the strange world of inspecting shit in the woods!

Props to your sister in law. I wouldn't have the stomach for it, I have a really hard time with cruelty to animals. When I was about ten I found a cat that had been tied to a chicken wire fence by wire wound tightly around its paw. It was rescued and turned out to be OK, but it had quite an effect on me, I just couldn't understand what sick cnt would do that. And I'm sure there's a lot worse.
[Post edited 24 Aug 2020 15:52]

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Getting a Dog on 15:52 - Aug 24 with 1199 viewsonlyrinmoray

Remember Brian you have to take him for a walk at 7am in winter mornings when its pissing with rain. Always put me off getting a dog... got two zebra finches though
Getting a Dog on 19:11 - Aug 24 with 1107 viewsMickS

Getting a Dog on 15:52 - Aug 24 by onlyrinmoray

Remember Brian you have to take him for a walk at 7am in winter mornings when its pissing with rain. Always put me off getting a dog... got two zebra finches though

I love that - walking in the rain and cold with your hound is a great thing. Bad weather is the best.* Only downfall is that it makes the pooch stink.

* No property damage, obviously.
Getting a Dog on 19:22 - Aug 24 with 1081 viewsRangersw12

We've always wanted to get a dog but haven't been able to as we were renting but now we've bought our first house we're looking at adding to the family

We have 3 kids aged 4 to 14 so was thinking of a Lab

Have been checking out rescue places but nothing really around our area ( MK ) that I saw
Getting a Dog on 19:24 - Aug 24 with 1079 viewsMonahoop

Well done Brian. Good choice of dog too. Fantastic breed. I had a lab called Stanley once. He was a right old Stanley. Good pooch name. Enjoy him as I'm sure you will.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

Getting a Dog on 19:53 - Aug 24 with 1047 viewsRebalhoop

Thanks again.

Wanted to to call our Lab Stanley,the Mrs wouldn’t have it,so he’s Colby,after some Aussie bloke on Home and Away.........
Still love him though,(the dog not the Aussie)
Getting a Dog on 21:42 - Aug 24 with 992 viewsswitchingcode

Thanks again.

😃let the madness begin if like me it’s your first dog the puppy days are something you look back on with happiness but at the time you wonder wtf.Great decision and choice of breed.
Getting a Dog on 21:55 - Aug 24 with 978 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Thanks everyone.

So far I can report that his digestion works better than his sphincter.

Getting a Dog on 21:57 - Aug 24 with 976 viewsM40R

Thanks again.

Great choice and great name.
Our yellow lab is 7 now and my advice is to take seriously the guidance on excercise time limits while they are growing so as to minimise the chances of developing elbow dysplasia.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024