Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
EFL salary cap 19:23 - Jul 16 with 2557 viewsGloucs_R

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11688/12029983/championship-clubs-to-dis

What's our current spend on wages?

Poll: Are we staying up?

EFL salary cap on 19:33 - Jul 16 with 2507 viewsEsox_Lucius

We'll have to wait until they file their accounts. EFL clubs are not required to reveal their salary payments unlike the EPL. Last years figures show that QPR spent a total throughout the club of £24m on wages. If I were a betting man, I would hazard a guess of a further reduction of 20-25% on that figure for this season.

The grass is always greener.

EFL salary cap on 19:44 - Jul 16 with 2456 viewsGloucs_R

EFL salary cap on 19:33 - Jul 16 by Esox_Lucius

We'll have to wait until they file their accounts. EFL clubs are not required to reveal their salary payments unlike the EPL. Last years figures show that QPR spent a total throughout the club of £24m on wages. If I were a betting man, I would hazard a guess of a further reduction of 20-25% on that figure for this season.

Is that 24m across all wages?
[Post edited 16 Jul 2020 19:45]

Poll: Are we staying up?

EFL salary cap on 20:42 - Jul 16 with 2344 viewsBAWHoops

I think this will be good for us.

Our wages seem to be in a good place and will allow some wiggle room when it comes to making offers

http://blogandwhitehoops.wordpress.com/

EFL salary cap on 20:45 - Jul 16 with 2333 viewsEsox_Lucius

EFL salary cap on 19:44 - Jul 16 by Gloucs_R

Is that 24m across all wages?
[Post edited 16 Jul 2020 19:45]

Yes. Throughout the club.

The grass is always greener.

EFL salary cap on 21:44 - Jul 16 with 2180 viewsbosh67

£10K a week is more than enough for this level of football. Let's face it £5K a week is £260,000 a year. Admittedly it's only 2/3rds of one week of Mesut Özil's wage and there in lies the issue. If you have a wage cap in this division then you have to have contracts that are realistic. If you are in this league then £10K is the limit. If you get promoted then your wages will be capped at £30-40K a week but if you get relegated you sign up to get £10K again. If you don't like it, f*ck off, your sacked under the terms of the contract. It will lead to a lot of greedy players being out of work which may not be a bad thing.

Problem is that in reality if the Premier League doesn't follow suit then being promoted may be pointless because you'll never have the time or the resources to compete. For us it probably will seal our fate as a mid table Championship club for the rest of our lives. But if we have really good scouts and really good coaching then we will attract a lot of young players and a few older ones that will be their mentors. Kind of like it is now and possibly better.

But without the Prem setting a similar standard at a realistic cap then those top 6 sides will float away for ever into the distance... Or maybe they will finally go bust.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

EFL salary cap on 09:02 - Jul 17 with 1843 viewsswitchingcode

Can only see this working if this is carried out at source ie when contracts and transfer fees are signed.Clubs in the championship will still be able to ignore FFP and throw the kitchen sink at it and hope they succeed and find a safe haven in the PL as Bournmouth did it If I remember correctly.Having to wait over a year to inspect clubs accounts is too late.
EFL salary cap on 09:56 - Jul 17 with 1766 viewsLythamR

EFL salary cap on 09:02 - Jul 17 by switchingcode

Can only see this working if this is carried out at source ie when contracts and transfer fees are signed.Clubs in the championship will still be able to ignore FFP and throw the kitchen sink at it and hope they succeed and find a safe haven in the PL as Bournmouth did it If I remember correctly.Having to wait over a year to inspect clubs accounts is too late.

Banning Agents would be a good start, they take way too much money out of the game, stick them all on one of the idle cruise liners and drop them off on the pitcairn islands with a 5 year supply of fresh water and pot noodles.

film the results as a reality tv programme, let them give something back to society in terms of entertainment as they fight for survival
EFL salary cap on 11:00 - Jul 17 with 1735 viewsQPR_John

The article talks about a 25 man squad, where did that come from.
Login to get fewer ads

EFL salary cap on 11:39 - Jul 17 with 1683 viewsTonto

The biggest problem something like this faces in this Country is that the EPL nd EFL are run by two separate bodies.

A lack of continuity across the 2 makes it very difficult for any promoted/relegated club to complete/comply.

But lets make one thing clear - wags in the premier league are bloody stupid. All the money thats come into the game has gone straight into he players, many of whom only spunk it up the wall and I suspect in cases that is a literal comment. It is at the centre of the ills of our game (the wages not the player's antics), and there bloody well |
SHOULD be a cap.

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

EFL salary cap on 12:54 - Jul 17 with 1622 viewsBenny_the_Ball

For this to work relegation clauses would need to be written into contracts. I've never understood why clubs don't insist on them anyway. This was a major problem for QPR when it was relegated from the PL as much of the squad retained PL wages in the championship.
EFL salary cap on 13:02 - Jul 17 with 1601 viewsswitchingcode

EFL salary cap on 12:54 - Jul 17 by Benny_the_Ball

For this to work relegation clauses would need to be written into contracts. I've never understood why clubs don't insist on them anyway. This was a major problem for QPR when it was relegated from the PL as much of the squad retained PL wages in the championship.

While I 100 % agree I would presume the players agents say no to this and so the massive gamble continues and the consequences forgotten.
EFL salary cap on 17:22 - Jul 17 with 1502 viewsfrancisbowles

EFL salary cap on 21:44 - Jul 16 by bosh67

£10K a week is more than enough for this level of football. Let's face it £5K a week is £260,000 a year. Admittedly it's only 2/3rds of one week of Mesut Özil's wage and there in lies the issue. If you have a wage cap in this division then you have to have contracts that are realistic. If you are in this league then £10K is the limit. If you get promoted then your wages will be capped at £30-40K a week but if you get relegated you sign up to get £10K again. If you don't like it, f*ck off, your sacked under the terms of the contract. It will lead to a lot of greedy players being out of work which may not be a bad thing.

Problem is that in reality if the Premier League doesn't follow suit then being promoted may be pointless because you'll never have the time or the resources to compete. For us it probably will seal our fate as a mid table Championship club for the rest of our lives. But if we have really good scouts and really good coaching then we will attract a lot of young players and a few older ones that will be their mentors. Kind of like it is now and possibly better.

But without the Prem setting a similar standard at a realistic cap then those top 6 sides will float away for ever into the distance... Or maybe they will finally go bust.

I agree to a point but what happens when a promoted club signs four or five new experienced players at x million transfer fees and pays them £30000 a week on a four year contract?

Are you going to tell them it's £10k a week or we will tear up your contract? They will say goodbye and you will have a 75% write off on each of the transfer fees.
EFL salary cap on 22:10 - Jul 17 with 1406 viewsQPR_John

EFL salary cap on 17:22 - Jul 17 by francisbowles

I agree to a point but what happens when a promoted club signs four or five new experienced players at x million transfer fees and pays them £30000 a week on a four year contract?

Are you going to tell them it's £10k a week or we will tear up your contract? They will say goodbye and you will have a 75% write off on each of the transfer fees.

But the point is a promoted club will have to keep to the FL salary cap for fear of relegation and the problem you point out with contracts. As FFP was introduced ostensibly to protect clubs going into debt but really to protect the chosen few, a FL salary cap is no different.
EFL salary cap on 23:27 - Jul 17 with 1371 viewsfrancisbowles

EFL salary cap on 22:10 - Jul 17 by QPR_John

But the point is a promoted club will have to keep to the FL salary cap for fear of relegation and the problem you point out with contracts. As FFP was introduced ostensibly to protect clubs going into debt but really to protect the chosen few, a FL salary cap is no different.

See Norwich, spent minimal, relegated with three games left.

No promoted club is going to be able to keep to a £10k salary cap.
They would lose all their players to better offers.

They would end up playing their youth team and getting hammered every game and banking millions which they could only spend on £10k a year players.
EFL salary cap on 07:16 - Jul 18 with 1314 viewsstevec

EFL salary cap on 23:27 - Jul 17 by francisbowles

See Norwich, spent minimal, relegated with three games left.

No promoted club is going to be able to keep to a £10k salary cap.
They would lose all their players to better offers.

They would end up playing their youth team and getting hammered every game and banking millions which they could only spend on £10k a year players.

Well if you reach the Premier you just have relegation clauses built into contracts. Don’t see the problem really.
EFL salary cap on 09:41 - Jul 18 with 1227 viewsfrancisbowles

EFL salary cap on 07:16 - Jul 18 by stevec

Well if you reach the Premier you just have relegation clauses built into contracts. Don’t see the problem really.

On relegation if players wages dropped to £10k, they would want to leave. Those that didn't get a move might go moody and not bother.

I agree that it might be an answer but it wouldn't be easy.
EFL salary cap on 10:20 - Jul 18 with 1208 viewsQPR_Jim

You could allow newly relegated teams 3 exempt players in the first year after relegation reducing to two and then one as their parachute payments reduce.

Or the relegated clubs can not register some of the players as part of the 25 man squad to keep them under the cap. Means they couldn't play them but they could sell or loan them. Maybe the league could allow the club's to sell them outside the window if they're not registered to help them sell/loan them.
EFL salary cap on 10:37 - Jul 18 with 1190 viewsWelsh_Ranger

EFL salary cap on 10:20 - Jul 18 by QPR_Jim

You could allow newly relegated teams 3 exempt players in the first year after relegation reducing to two and then one as their parachute payments reduce.

Or the relegated clubs can not register some of the players as part of the 25 man squad to keep them under the cap. Means they couldn't play them but they could sell or loan them. Maybe the league could allow the club's to sell them outside the window if they're not registered to help them sell/loan them.

I think it would probably work better as a wage cap not a salary cap. For example you are allowed to spend X amount on 1st team player wages on a registered squad of 25. This can be broken down however you want but cannot exceed this set amount. Meaning that you could have a star player and then lots of academy products. Does that make sense?

I can see it being abused(bonuses and add ons etc) but i believe its the MLS system or similar.
EFL salary cap on 11:33 - Jul 18 with 1164 viewsQPR_Jim

EFL salary cap on 10:37 - Jul 18 by Welsh_Ranger

I think it would probably work better as a wage cap not a salary cap. For example you are allowed to spend X amount on 1st team player wages on a registered squad of 25. This can be broken down however you want but cannot exceed this set amount. Meaning that you could have a star player and then lots of academy products. Does that make sense?

I can see it being abused(bonuses and add ons etc) but i believe its the MLS system or similar.

Yeah I think technically you can't set a limit on the amount you pay individual player but you can effectively do it through grouping them together for an overall cap.

I guess the point I was skirting around was that there are loads of solutions to the issue of clubs being relegated from the PL with high earners. As you said star players then lots of low earners to balance it out or some kind of dispensation.

If you took a relegated team and gave them a pro-rated cap based on 22 players then said you can have 3 players on higher wages above that cap, so long as they were signed while in the premier League, then that could help the transition into championship rules because you can't always sell players quickly.

Or you could make them stick to the same cap as everyone else but say they can't register the players who are on high wages that would break the cap but allow them to sell the unregistered players outside the transfer window. So hopefully they'll be sold sooner as a desperate club would be able to sign him as if he's unregistered. Or it will force relegation clauses to be more common place.
EFL salary cap on 12:00 - Jul 18 with 1156 viewsWelsh_Ranger

EFL salary cap on 11:33 - Jul 18 by QPR_Jim

Yeah I think technically you can't set a limit on the amount you pay individual player but you can effectively do it through grouping them together for an overall cap.

I guess the point I was skirting around was that there are loads of solutions to the issue of clubs being relegated from the PL with high earners. As you said star players then lots of low earners to balance it out or some kind of dispensation.

If you took a relegated team and gave them a pro-rated cap based on 22 players then said you can have 3 players on higher wages above that cap, so long as they were signed while in the premier League, then that could help the transition into championship rules because you can't always sell players quickly.

Or you could make them stick to the same cap as everyone else but say they can't register the players who are on high wages that would break the cap but allow them to sell the unregistered players outside the transfer window. So hopefully they'll be sold sooner as a desperate club would be able to sign him as if he's unregistered. Or it will force relegation clauses to be more common place.

I think we are both talking along similar lines and finances for me arent my strongest subject but the MLS system is worth looking at in more depth IF the EFL wanted to do something, you don't have a maximum salary that you can pay a player - you have a maximum amount you can pay your first team.

If you take the Galaxy Beckham would have been paid a fortune and then the rest of your squad would have been on say 8k per week.

The problem is as we have seen with out lovely friends in the corridors of power is that they don't seam to be able to know their arse from their elbow so putting a structure in place is almost impossible
EFL salary cap on 12:38 - Jul 18 with 1133 viewsDavieQPR

EFL salary cap on 11:00 - Jul 17 by QPR_John

The article talks about a 25 man squad, where did that come from.

A 25 man squad is what Prem clubs operate with. U23 players do not have to be registered as part of the squad but must have been at the club at close of Transfer window. The squad to include 7 players that qualify to play for UK National teams hence the premium on this type of player.
EFL salary cap on 14:29 - Jul 18 with 1073 viewsQPR_John

EFL salary cap on 12:38 - Jul 18 by DavieQPR

A 25 man squad is what Prem clubs operate with. U23 players do not have to be registered as part of the squad but must have been at the club at close of Transfer window. The squad to include 7 players that qualify to play for UK National teams hence the premium on this type of player.

I am aware of that but have not heard of it being introduced into the Championship
EFL salary cap on 14:34 - Jul 18 with 1071 viewsQPR_Jim

EFL salary cap on 14:29 - Jul 18 by QPR_John

I am aware of that but have not heard of it being introduced into the Championship

I hope they do bring it in to the championship, it would stop teams with an army of defenders out bidding us for yet another defender.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024