Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Jumbo Jet 747 09:08 - Jul 17 with 1748 viewsloftboy

The only plane in the current Boeing series I haven’t flown on, looks like I never will.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

The Jumbo Jet 747 on 09:16 - Jul 17 with 1258 viewsbosh67

Great shame but the equivalent of driving an 8 litre car with double exhausts to the corner shop. Brilliant aircraft of its day but utterly superseded by much more efficient planes.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

The Jumbo Jet 747 on 09:17 - Jul 17 with 1256 viewsloftus77

I never got to 'turn left' or 'go upstairs'. Ho hum....
The Jumbo Jet 747 on 09:19 - Jul 17 with 1251 viewseghamranger

Shame.... but understandable under the circumstances.

Daughters friends mum was a ba captain.. her house was fantastic and on her wall going up a rounded staircase were photos of planes she had flown. Most were on the ground but one was going over the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco.

Such a distinctive plane and I was amazed it go off the ground
The Jumbo Jet 747 on 09:23 - Jul 17 with 1244 viewsNorthernr

Shame. Love them.
The Jumbo Jet 747 on 09:31 - Jul 17 with 1221 viewsRangersDave

i preferef row 1 right hand side downstairs business because no one would knock i to you and you had a better chance of peace and quiet with the gentle hum of wind noise over the nose.

However upstairs right hand side second row always got me to sleep quicker.... dont know why, just did.
Flew on all the KLM fleet and by worst of those were the combi versions.

If you want something even better and you can get them while they are still flying the Etihad 380 business is to die for. bags of room , great service, food, drink and comfort.
Take a look at their new single and double "Q" suites too! nice

Nowadays though i'm all 'back of the bus' unfortunately.

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

The Jumbo Jet 747 on 09:38 - Jul 17 with 1203 viewsPhildo

There is a great documentary about them that pops up on BBC4 now and again
The Jumbo Jet 747 on 09:46 - Jul 17 with 1188 viewsBklynRanger

End of an era. They were always impressive sitting there on the tarmac like a giant walrus (with engines and wings).

The more of those dreamliners the better though - good overhead space, great map, actually seem to go faster than other planes. Quality plane that.
The Jumbo Jet 747 on 09:58 - Jul 17 with 1165 views2Thomas2Bowles

I went to Vancouver upstairs in 1980 after getting upgraded a bit like sitting at a table for 4 on a train but just 2 to each table, I think about 16 people and 4 stewards.

Wonderful aircraft of the time in spite of hitting air turbulence over the Rockies and being blown about like a piece of paper.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Login to get fewer ads

The Jumbo Jet 747 on 09:58 - Jul 17 with 1170 viewsted_hendrix

Ahead of its time and superb engineering flew to Arizona and back (BA) and Air India to NYC, it was something else on take off as the speed it quickly reached was quite amazing.

Sign of the times I guess plus Boeing are going through the treadmill at the moment especially with the Boeing 737 MAX.

"I'm Mandy Fly Me"

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

The Jumbo Jet 747 on 10:19 - Jul 17 with 1139 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Arrrrgh! The only long haul I use is BA. The only plane I like is the 747.

I despise single cabin wide bodied aircraft.

747 nice curtain, go see the stewardess can I have a JD please. "sure" very civilised.

Also if there are noisy kids in the next one they are muffled. Not so on a single bodied airbus.

I don't care about it's footprint my comfort is far more important.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

The Jumbo Jet 747 on 10:34 - Jul 17 with 1114 viewsMrSheen

The Jumbo Jet 747 on 10:19 - Jul 17 by Metallica_Hoop

Arrrrgh! The only long haul I use is BA. The only plane I like is the 747.

I despise single cabin wide bodied aircraft.

747 nice curtain, go see the stewardess can I have a JD please. "sure" very civilised.

Also if there are noisy kids in the next one they are muffled. Not so on a single bodied airbus.

I don't care about it's footprint my comfort is far more important.

Upstairs on a 747 was great,made a trip to Japan or Australia almost a pleasure, you could pretend you weren't a sardine in a tin. I agree with Dave, A380s might be even better, but they're being scrapped already.
The Jumbo Jet 747 on 10:58 - Jul 17 with 1080 viewsfrancisbowles

The Jumbo Jet 747 on 10:34 - Jul 17 by MrSheen

Upstairs on a 747 was great,made a trip to Japan or Australia almost a pleasure, you could pretend you weren't a sardine in a tin. I agree with Dave, A380s might be even better, but they're being scrapped already.

The A380 has been a real let down. It's economy was nowhere near what was promised. It could carry several hundred passengers but once you put all their baggage in the hold, there was no room left for freight, and cargo is said to be more profitable than economy passengers.

I was lucky enough to be upgraded to first once and have also been upstairs club, both very nice. Being picky, the first cabin was still very drafty if near an a/c vent and the cabin layout lacked the style of the 747 first class. I thought it could have been designed better.

When I travelled in upper deck club, you have double deck jetties, most of the punters who were used to the 747 top deck were disappointed, didn't think they were upstairs. It was just like any other club cabin with it's rows of six seats, whereas the 747 seems like a small plane on its own with just four in each row.

The one real plus though was the club upper deck toilets at the front of the airplane. Absolutely massive, loads of room to get changed.
The Jumbo Jet 747 on 11:14 - Jul 17 with 1058 viewsMrSheen

The Jumbo Jet 747 on 10:58 - Jul 17 by francisbowles

The A380 has been a real let down. It's economy was nowhere near what was promised. It could carry several hundred passengers but once you put all their baggage in the hold, there was no room left for freight, and cargo is said to be more profitable than economy passengers.

I was lucky enough to be upgraded to first once and have also been upstairs club, both very nice. Being picky, the first cabin was still very drafty if near an a/c vent and the cabin layout lacked the style of the 747 first class. I thought it could have been designed better.

When I travelled in upper deck club, you have double deck jetties, most of the punters who were used to the 747 top deck were disappointed, didn't think they were upstairs. It was just like any other club cabin with it's rows of six seats, whereas the 747 seems like a small plane on its own with just four in each row.

The one real plus though was the club upper deck toilets at the front of the airplane. Absolutely massive, loads of room to get changed.

Another problem they had was that their big customers were the Gulf airlines, who ordered them when oil was about $100 a barrel so they had huge regional demand for premium seats and were rolling in subsidies to draw in long-distance tourists in economy. They hoped to make Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Qatar etc massive hubs for flying on anywhere in the world, but the punters never came in the numbers they hoped and they were left holding the leases for half-full giant planes.

As an aside, Abu Dhabi, Etihad's home, is completely inadequate for handling tens of thousands of transit passengers. The bogs are more crowded than Ellerslie Road at half-time. Etihad to Australia was a delight in the air, but grim on the ground.
The Jumbo Jet 747 on 11:21 - Jul 17 with 1043 viewsqprxtc

Aeroplanes.

They go up tiddly up up,
They go down tiddly down down.

They cost a tiddly lot lot.
The Jumbo Jet 747 on 11:25 - Jul 17 with 1034 viewsBklynRanger

The Jumbo Jet 747 on 11:14 - Jul 17 by MrSheen

Another problem they had was that their big customers were the Gulf airlines, who ordered them when oil was about $100 a barrel so they had huge regional demand for premium seats and were rolling in subsidies to draw in long-distance tourists in economy. They hoped to make Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Qatar etc massive hubs for flying on anywhere in the world, but the punters never came in the numbers they hoped and they were left holding the leases for half-full giant planes.

As an aside, Abu Dhabi, Etihad's home, is completely inadequate for handling tens of thousands of transit passengers. The bogs are more crowded than Ellerslie Road at half-time. Etihad to Australia was a delight in the air, but grim on the ground.

We were on an Emirates A380 for our honeymoon, stopping over in Dubai on the way to Tanzania. Can definitely agree about the unused space. Our friend who'd been at the wedding was a stewardess for them at the time and got the ok for us to go into the empty front cabin. Spent the flight stretched out across five seats - did wonders for a crippling hangover.
The Jumbo Jet 747 on 11:27 - Jul 17 with 1030 viewsMick_S

The Jumbo Jet 747 on 11:25 - Jul 17 by BklynRanger

We were on an Emirates A380 for our honeymoon, stopping over in Dubai on the way to Tanzania. Can definitely agree about the unused space. Our friend who'd been at the wedding was a stewardess for them at the time and got the ok for us to go into the empty front cabin. Spent the flight stretched out across five seats - did wonders for a crippling hangover.

Strange - the only time I've been on a 747 I had a stinking hangover as well. Singapore Airlines; day after my wedding.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

The Jumbo Jet 747 on 14:47 - Jul 17 with 937 viewsRangersDave

The Jumbo Jet 747 on 10:58 - Jul 17 by francisbowles

not just get changed mate ;-)

Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

The Jumbo Jet 747 on 14:48 - Jul 17 with 932 viewsRangersDave

Best aircraft i've flown in in recent years 'down the back of the bus' was 2 years ago Manchester-Hong Kong on a Cathay A350

Good space, seats not bad, infotainment good, smooth, quiet, enjoyable if it could be called that.

The Jumbo Jet 747 on 15:00 - Jul 17 with 911 viewsPlanetHonneywood

The Jumbo Jet 747 on 14:48 - Jul 17 by RangersDave

Best aircraft i've flown in in recent years 'down the back of the bus' was 2 years ago Manchester-Hong Kong on a Cathay A350

Good space, seats not bad, infotainment good, smooth, quiet, enjoyable if it could be called that.

Pah! You’ve not lived if you not flown in to the old HK airport on any sort of a jet. Scary as anything and it was estimated that if a jet ever crashed on the approach over Kowloon, five thousand people minimum fatalities.

The 747 opened the world to so many of us, I’ve been fortunate to fly on many over the years; sitting up top, down the back and all over. A much loved plane but as someone said; her day has come to an end with the twin engined A350/380s and the Dreamliner.

End of an era.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

The Jumbo Jet 747 on 15:03 - Jul 17 with 901 viewsaston_hoop

Lucky enough to fly on one a couple of times with BA and it almost felt like some living history by that point. That said, went to Seoul last year on one of the Dreamliners and that was nice, so so quiet and spacious too in comparison.

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

The Jumbo Jet 747 on 15:07 - Jul 17 with 896 viewsBoston

The Jumbo Jet 747 on 15:00 - Jul 17 by PlanetHonneywood

Pah! You’ve not lived if you not flown in to the old HK airport on any sort of a jet. Scary as anything and it was estimated that if a jet ever crashed on the approach over Kowloon, five thousand people minimum fatalities.

The 747 opened the world to so many of us, I’ve been fortunate to fly on many over the years; sitting up top, down the back and all over. A much loved plane but as someone said; her day has come to an end with the twin engined A350/380s and the Dreamliner.

End of an era.

Only upstairs once, can’t recall which airline, it had a small bar area, was that the norm?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

The Jumbo Jet 747 on 15:09 - Jul 17 with 890 viewsRangersDave

ive only known a small bar area but it was 'fill yer boots' if you wanted (self service a couple of hours in)

The Jumbo Jet 747 on 15:11 - Jul 17 with 883 viewsJAPRANGERS

A 747 taking off is a glorious sight indeed.
The Jumbo Jet 747 on 15:18 - Jul 17 with 863 viewsBoston

Strangely, Alan Whicker keeps popping into my head!

The Jumbo Jet 747 on 15:25 - Jul 17 with 855 viewsBoston

Looked good but fcking hated Concord. So noisy, then if it wasn’t David Frost pushing past you in the queue, it would be Joan Collins spilling her Cinzano all over ya!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024