Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bright 14:08 - Jul 17 with 36279 viewsNorthernr

Heard earlier today that he's not in squad tomorrow after a bid was accepted.
Was a bit sceptical but now Belgian journo says Club Bruges have agreed a £5m fee.

Bright on 23:55 - Jul 17 with 2239 viewsMyke

Bright on 19:17 - Jul 17 by Antti_Heinola

I know we all (still) go on about the Sinclair deal, but if West Ham wanted to buy Angel off us, in his current state, we'd probably still get about £3m. If they want Manning, then I'd expect more than a couple of mill. Any other club, 2mill is a good deal!

I am obviously a good deal older than you Antti I am still gutted about Parks going to West Ham never mind Sinclair! With regard to Manning, he is first and foremost a winger so is obviously better at going forward. If he joined a team that used him as a wing back and they had a decent left-sided CB then he could do very well. I like him a lot, but would happily take 2M for him. It's a tribute to Warburton that he had successfully fulfilled his two main remits: Keep up in the Championship and increase the resale value of our younger players . The fact that we have played some really attractive football along the way was a very welcome bonus.
Bright on 00:30 - Jul 18 with 2154 viewsrsonist

Recent talk was that Burnley and Bournemouth were keeping tabs, but only contingent on their possible future sales further down the line. With the clock ticking down that's a high risk gamble, especially with Bright already reportedly stating Brugge as his preference. Additionally the sooner we have cash in hand the further and better we can stretch it - the value of an extra £3m in the last days of the window is going to cancel itself out most probably.

Not sure how much we're in a position to negotiate a sell on percentage but if so Brugge have been making £10m+ sales to the EPL every summer for a few years now, and should he impress there he'll have extra appeal to English clubs qualifying as a homegrown player.

It's an unfortunate situation that has in a very short space of time worked out great for Bright and meh for us. It's a fair argument to point the blame at McClaren and to a lesser extent Ollie for not developing him to this stage while we still had cards in hand, but it should also be remembered it took Warburton half a season too. Unfortunately it turns out we could have probably done with him taking a few months longer in the end.

Now to poach someone else's Bright.
[Post edited 18 Jul 2020 0:31]
Bright on 00:49 - Jul 18 with 2106 viewsPunteR

Bright on 00:30 - Jul 18 by rsonist

Recent talk was that Burnley and Bournemouth were keeping tabs, but only contingent on their possible future sales further down the line. With the clock ticking down that's a high risk gamble, especially with Bright already reportedly stating Brugge as his preference. Additionally the sooner we have cash in hand the further and better we can stretch it - the value of an extra £3m in the last days of the window is going to cancel itself out most probably.

Not sure how much we're in a position to negotiate a sell on percentage but if so Brugge have been making £10m+ sales to the EPL every summer for a few years now, and should he impress there he'll have extra appeal to English clubs qualifying as a homegrown player.

It's an unfortunate situation that has in a very short space of time worked out great for Bright and meh for us. It's a fair argument to point the blame at McClaren and to a lesser extent Ollie for not developing him to this stage while we still had cards in hand, but it should also be remembered it took Warburton half a season too. Unfortunately it turns out we could have probably done with him taking a few months longer in the end.

Couldnt we have loaned him? Get his wages off the books and put him in the shop window like clubs do to us?

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Bright on 02:54 - Jul 18 with 2042 viewsMatch82

Shame, for three months between Christmas and March he was electric and a joy to behold. I'd sort of resigned myself to him going and expected a fee somewhere between 5 and 8 so to see that number is a little disappointing but it's more than we got for Freeman, Austin or Smithies so progress I guess?
Bright on 03:02 - Jul 18 with 2025 viewstimcocking

Damn.
Bright on 04:51 - Jul 18 with 2016 viewsnadera78

Six months ago every single Rangers fan was saying the same thing about BOS - that he was quick, with some obvious talent, but very inconsistent. He wasn't even a regular in the team. That just shows how quickly things can change around, for both a player and a club. He's been offered a new contract - at a salary the club feels it can afford and he's obviously not interested in signing for that, which is his prerogative. I can guarantee that if the club acquiesced to his demands and then he sat on his arse getting fat for the next 3 years then we'd all be criticising Les, etc for giving in to him.

Would I have liked a bit more that 5m for him? Sure, but is it a bad deal? Not really. I guess, as others have said, the final evaluation will be based on any sell-on fee we've negotiated, how he progresses in Belgium, and how much Brugge sell him for.
Bright on 06:38 - Jul 18 with 1945 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Bright on 00:49 - Jul 18 by PunteR

Couldnt we have loaned him? Get his wages off the books and put him in the shop window like clubs do to us?

You do realise his contract is up next June.

At that point he’d go for nothing and if we didn’t sell him now, what do you think we’d get in January (or whatever dates the transfer windows will operate)?

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Bright on 07:13 - Jul 18 with 1902 viewsWatford_Ranger

Just sign Jack Clarke on a permanent. You won’t even notice he’s gone....
Login to get fewer ads

Bright on 07:34 - Jul 18 with 1873 viewsjoolsyp

Time for Mide to step up but he needs patience from the fans and decent game time (not just 10 mins at the end). I think he has raw potential but just like BOS a year or two ago there are areas of his game he needs to improve.
Bright on 07:48 - Jul 18 with 1856 viewsjoe90

How is a players value worked out?
Bright on 08:05 - Jul 18 with 1808 viewsNorthernr

Bright on 00:30 - Jul 18 by rsonist

Yeh McClaren did us no favours with Bright. I've told this story before but Boro away last year when we lost 2-0 and he came on for the last 20 mins and was man of the match one of the club execs came out of the main entrance afterwards while I was waiting for my lift and said "who does Bright have to blow to get a game?" Mind you, that does show that the club knew what they had, and should have got the contract renewed earlier. They don't seem to have any problem topping Shodipo and Hamalainen's contracts up on the ery off chance they turn out to be Championship footballers.

I think the tight summer off season has had a play in this as well. Team obviously needs strengthening in key areas, we'e only got 7 weeks until next season starts, we need some money in good and early I suppose.

Like you say, a bit meh. Difficult not to be really down about it this morning.
Bright on 08:07 - Jul 18 with 1800 viewsMedwayR

Not just an opportunity for Shodipo to step up but also Paul Smyth and Ody Alfa. I wouldn’t be rushing out to sign a replacement.

Poll: Who’s better?

Bright on 08:08 - Jul 18 with 1797 viewsGloucs_R

Bright on 07:48 - Jul 18 by joe90

How is a players value worked out?

Great question.

I suspect...

Ability
Experience
Attitude
Resale value
Contract remaining
Market conditions

The last two screwed us in this case. The real question should be, what was his value summer 2019. From what I've read, we offered a contract and his agent dragged it out.... Probably deliberately to reduce his transfer fee.

Maybe we should have sold him in Jan for more, but maybe his agent wouldn't have let him move anyhow.

Be interesting to know who his agent is and if it's the same one who got the move for the Sunderland lad.

Poll: Are we staying up?

Bright on 08:15 - Jul 18 with 1780 viewsdistortR

Bright on 17:30 - Jul 17 by SimonJames

We're paying his wages... so not free.
I didn't say it wasn't the right sort of signing, I'm sure it probably was. But presumably they expected him play more than a dozen times for us this season.
Or perhaps he is being kept out of the team by better defenders!

mate, i don't really understand why you brought negativity about wallace into this thread.

this is the thread about being pissed off that BOS is going for less then we'd like; there should already be a thread for slagging Wallace
Bright on 08:43 - Jul 18 with 1685 viewsMedwayR

I presume a possible cash flow problem may exist too with no ST sales.

Poll: Who’s better?

Bright on 08:55 - Jul 18 with 1644 viewsrsonist

Bright on 08:08 - Jul 18 by Gloucs_R

Great question.

I suspect...

Ability
Experience
Attitude
Resale value
Contract remaining
Market conditions

The last two screwed us in this case. The real question should be, what was his value summer 2019. From what I've read, we offered a contract and his agent dragged it out.... Probably deliberately to reduce his transfer fee.

Maybe we should have sold him in Jan for more, but maybe his agent wouldn't have let him move anyhow.

Be interesting to know who his agent is and if it's the same one who got the move for the Sunderland lad.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/triple-s-sports-and-entertainment-group-ltd/bera

At the time of summer 2019 Bright (and Manning) would have been entitled to feel they'd wasted a couple of years of their career getting mucked around by us. Hard to blame an agent doing their job right in this instance.
Bright on 09:02 - Jul 18 with 1611 viewsGloucs_R

Bright on 08:55 - Jul 18 by rsonist

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/triple-s-sports-and-entertainment-group-ltd/bera

At the time of summer 2019 Bright (and Manning) would have been entitled to feel they'd wasted a couple of years of their career getting mucked around by us. Hard to blame an agent doing their job right in this instance.

Everyone has their own agenda.

Let's be honest, if they have any ambition, they'd both want to play for better teams, for more money.

Sign a new contract and play for 16th place every season or go somewhere else, get paid more and be part of a more successful team.

In their position, I'd have been looking for a move that worked for me.

Poll: Are we staying up?

Bright on 09:36 - Jul 18 with 1543 viewsconnell10

Bright on 14:52 - Jul 17 by PlanetHonneywood

I fear you’re operating in a Pre-COVID world.

Clubs, businesses, people and governments are teetering on the edge of a financial abyss; so £5m is probably realistic given the variables we know and the imponderables to come.

Just our luck get players that are actually worth big money and something comes along to scupper it! We probably we get a small percentage of the transfer fee for squad recruitment and the rest will go on debts.

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Bright on 09:47 - Jul 18 with 1503 viewsdavman

Bright on 08:07 - Jul 18 by MedwayR

Not just an opportunity for Shodipo to step up but also Paul Smyth and Ody Alfa. I wouldn’t be rushing out to sign a replacement.

Just imagine the outcry if we don't spend a penny of that money. I think the Internet would break...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Bright on 10:16 - Jul 18 with 1419 viewsstevec

Bright on 08:05 - Jul 18 by Northernr

Yeh McClaren did us no favours with Bright. I've told this story before but Boro away last year when we lost 2-0 and he came on for the last 20 mins and was man of the match one of the club execs came out of the main entrance afterwards while I was waiting for my lift and said "who does Bright have to blow to get a game?" Mind you, that does show that the club knew what they had, and should have got the contract renewed earlier. They don't seem to have any problem topping Shodipo and Hamalainen's contracts up on the ery off chance they turn out to be Championship footballers.

I think the tight summer off season has had a play in this as well. Team obviously needs strengthening in key areas, we'e only got 7 weeks until next season starts, we need some money in good and early I suppose.

As others have said, pre Birmingham away, we’d have struggled to get £2m for him.

I stand to be corrected but think that was 2 and a half seasons of contracted football where, whilst we could see the potential, it never seemed to fire up when he started games. Said before, think he’s more likely to be successful than Eze at the top end of the game but his indifferent performances over a considerable period of time suggests we should still be happy with the £5m.
Bright on 10:22 - Jul 18 with 1403 viewsWelsh_Ranger

Bright on 09:47 - Jul 18 by davman

Just imagine the outcry if we don't spend a penny of that money. I think the Internet would break...

Imagine! I think the point should be it doesn't necessarily need to be spent on Bright's replacement but on areas of the squad like defence that need it.
Bright on 10:24 - Jul 18 with 1393 viewsBAWHoops

Let’s not forget that as a selling point to other lower league talents this deal is good.

Come to QPR. In 3 years we turned Bright from a League 2 player into a Champions League player.

If you’ve got your choice of clubs then QPR is currently a hell of a lot more attractive than it was a few years ago

http://blogandwhitehoops.wordpress.com/

Bright on 10:33 - Jul 18 with 1359 viewsqprd

Bright on 08:05 - Jul 18 by Northernr

Clive- pardon my lack of knowledge on this point, but its my understanding that clubs can get a compensation fee for players they develop who then leave on a free (e.g., danny ings when he went to liverpool).

Do you know if we would've been entitled to any money if he did go for free (next year)? My sense is that probably not since he had already played quite a bit for blackpool, but i dont know how this works.

If we couldve gotten some compensation for him had he left for free next summer, we really shouldnt be thinking of this as a GBP4.7m fee (assuming no sell on/add ons). Rather, the transfer free would be GBP4.7m - the compensation fee - one year lost of probably our second best player)

The twitter morons are unsurprisingly... still morons... but this was pretty depressing to wake up to
Bright on 10:34 - Jul 18 with 1355 viewsSimonJames

Bright on 08:15 - Jul 18 by distortR

mate, i don't really understand why you brought negativity about wallace into this thread.

this is the thread about being pissed off that BOS is going for less then we'd like; there should already be a thread for slagging Wallace

Sorry, I wasn't trying to slag him off per se (I rarely slag players off... I think the last was SWP). My original comment meant to suggest that if we're getting a disappointing amount for BOS perhaps we can bump the return up by throwing in players we haven't used much - as a job lot.

100% of people who drink water will die.

Bright on 10:47 - Jul 18 with 1296 viewsqprd

Lets put the transfer fee aside for a moment.

My biggest issue with this is the timing. Why are we selling a player before the English season ends?

Bruges are clearly happy to wait (they made their bid in May and are clearly happy waiting for this one). I'm sure this deal would've been on the table in 2-3 weeks.

Why are we selling Bright before the English season ends and the dust settles? I've read that Burnley and Bournemouth have expressed interest in him. Bournemouth could be coming down with a lot of parachute payments, and Bright could be a very attractive player for them in this division. Burnley could qualify for Europe, and that windfall and the need for greater squad depth may have led them to pay a premium? Same for clubs like WBA who may go up with the prem windfall and Villa who may come down with parachute payments.

Putting on my professional hat for a second- if you are going to sell at a price that seems to be below market, it is incumbent on you to go through a genuine auction process. There is nothing that would inflate Bright's price more than a few english clubs circling around him.

Perhaps Bright was insistent on making this move to Belgium happen. For me, its hard to believe that he was that keen to go, or that if a lower half prem team came in, he wouldnt want to go there.

The timing just doesnt make sense.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024