Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Other clubs transfers - summer thread 15:07 - Jul 20 with 95141 viewsNorthernr

Sheff Utd in for Jon Swift at Reading at a bargain £3.5m.
Looks like a buyers' market...
Other clubs transfers - summer thread on 18:20 - Aug 27 with 2197 viewsdaveB

I think Toney will end up looking a bargain, he is a very good player, perfect for Brentford, looking at them they should walk the division this year
Other clubs transfers - summer thread on 18:24 - Aug 27 with 2165 viewsHunterhoop

Other clubs transfers - summer thread on 18:20 - Aug 27 by daveB

I think Toney will end up looking a bargain, he is a very good player, perfect for Brentford, looking at them they should walk the division this year

He may, but there is surely risk? And at £10m quite a big risk. Even if he performs as per Watkins he’s not going to be that big a bargain, when you consider what Watkins cost them (i.e. around £2m)

I like Toney, btw, I just think the price is ridiculous and it’s not guaranteed he’ll succeed. I also think it’s a serious departure from their model. Reinvesting the same £10m across 2-3 players some of who are proven and some who aren’t but they could make a big profit on is their model.
Other clubs transfers - summer thread on 18:28 - Aug 27 with 2148 viewsswitchingcode

Other clubs transfers - summer thread on 18:15 - Aug 27 by Northernr

ATM I think Brentford are going to pis a weak league. Up as champions.

But Toney and Goode are the first time in this Benham era that I not only haven't been jealous of the signing, but also thought they've made a bit of a mistake.

Cue astonishing seasons for both...

Goode has hardly broke the bank Toney isn’t a done deal as he had reportedly turned us down last month saying he wanted PL football😀and last I heard it was 6 mill rising to 9 mill.With clubs now interested in our front 3,Leicester are in for Mbeumo who cost us £5.5 mill.Thats a big ask to replace and expect to be a front runner next season think we will struggle to make play offs if that happens.
Other clubs transfers - summer thread on 18:36 - Aug 27 with 2112 viewsdaveB

Other clubs transfers - summer thread on 18:24 - Aug 27 by Hunterhoop

He may, but there is surely risk? And at £10m quite a big risk. Even if he performs as per Watkins he’s not going to be that big a bargain, when you consider what Watkins cost them (i.e. around £2m)

I like Toney, btw, I just think the price is ridiculous and it’s not guaranteed he’ll succeed. I also think it’s a serious departure from their model. Reinvesting the same £10m across 2-3 players some of who are proven and some who aren’t but they could make a big profit on is their model.

all transfers have an element of risk, it might not work out for them but to me it looks like a good replacement for Watkins
Other clubs transfers - summer thread on 18:50 - Aug 27 with 2058 viewsrsonist

Other clubs transfers - summer thread on 18:16 - Aug 27 by Hunterhoop

Not at £10m.. One has done it in the Champ and one has not, and that one has 10 months left on his contract.

I get what you’re saying about 50% reinvestment, but that’s a straw man you’ve put up. I’m talking about the scale of investment in this single individual. It’s a quite different point, which I think you know full well.

Think divining a great downfall from one transaction out of the context of five years' worth is the strawman here big guy.
Other clubs transfers - summer thread on 19:25 - Aug 27 with 2005 viewsswitchingcode

Think it’s lost on a lot of people we spent around 30 mill last summer one of the biggest spenders in the championship.Media when it suits just talk about our sales.If the Toney deal goes through 2 million + goes to Newcastle and more important if Watkins goes for 20 mill over 3 mill will go to Exeter which will be a great windfall for them.
Other clubs transfers - summer thread on 20:18 - Aug 27 with 1936 viewsrsonist

Other clubs transfers - summer thread on 17:49 - Aug 27 by dannyblue

Jamal Lowe looks a reasonable signing for Swansea.

800k plus add-ons is half what I was expecting. That does sting a bit...
Other clubs transfers - summer thread on 20:27 - Aug 27 with 1897 viewsHunterhoop

Other clubs transfers - summer thread on 18:50 - Aug 27 by rsonist

Think divining a great downfall from one transaction out of the context of five years' worth is the strawman here big guy.

It’s not a straw man, because it’s not something I’m arguing against. Clearly I want it to be true! Why wouldn’t I? I happen to think (possibly swayed by my hope) that it might turn out to be. Shock horror.

Give your agenda a rest though. Every time I post at the moment, you’re deliberately misrepresenting what I’ve posted. It’s boring.
Login to get fewer ads

Other clubs transfers - summer thread on 20:28 - Aug 27 with 1888 viewsEsox_Lucius

Other clubs transfers - summer thread on 17:46 - Aug 24 by LazyFan

Proper Warnock player that. Big bruiser.
Don't tell our defence, they will get nightmares.

I bet Dykes would be licking his lips to get at him.

The grass is always greener.

Other clubs transfers - summer thread on 20:31 - Aug 27 with 1877 viewsHunterhoop

Other clubs transfers - summer thread on 19:25 - Aug 27 by switchingcode

Think it’s lost on a lot of people we spent around 30 mill last summer one of the biggest spenders in the championship.Media when it suits just talk about our sales.If the Toney deal goes through 2 million + goes to Newcastle and more important if Watkins goes for 20 mill over 3 mill will go to Exeter which will be a great windfall for them.

Once again, it’s not about how much you spend in total or as a % if your revenues obtained from sales...it’s how much you’re spending on a single player, unproven at this level, whose contract expires in 10 months.

Much bigger spend on individually outlays either means you are signing them to take you up, not buy low and make a huge profit. Watkins and Maupay tell you what the Price for a top Championship forward is. If Toney does well, but you don’t go up, your upside is significantly less than with all those past shrewd purchases. IMO, signing him would be a change in tact.
Other clubs transfers - summer thread on 20:36 - Aug 27 with 1849 viewsrsonist

Other clubs transfers - summer thread on 20:27 - Aug 27 by Hunterhoop

It’s not a straw man, because it’s not something I’m arguing against. Clearly I want it to be true! Why wouldn’t I? I happen to think (possibly swayed by my hope) that it might turn out to be. Shock horror.

Give your agenda a rest though. Every time I post at the moment, you’re deliberately misrepresenting what I’ve posted. It’s boring.

Take a number babe, not even the first time today I've been accused of having an agenda against someone for disagreeing with them on here
Other clubs transfers - summer thread on 20:39 - Aug 27 with 1838 viewsrsonist

The scale of the model has grown incrementally year on year. The prices go up but the risk remains proportionate.
Other clubs transfers - summer thread on 20:44 - Aug 27 with 1812 viewsHunterhoop

Other clubs transfers - summer thread on 20:39 - Aug 27 by rsonist

The scale of the model has grown incrementally year on year. The prices go up but the risk remains proportionate.

Not if the ceiling in your return is capped, which Maupay and Watkins prove it is...unless Brentford go up, but if they’re buying for that, it’s a different model. And last year they spent £2m to directly replace Maupay, who was sold for close to what Watkins will go for, so it’s not just a proportional increase in sales and fees on direct replacements. This is a step change.
Other clubs transfers - summer thread on 20:57 - Aug 27 with 1773 viewsrsonist

Other clubs transfers - summer thread on 20:44 - Aug 27 by Hunterhoop

Not if the ceiling in your return is capped, which Maupay and Watkins prove it is...unless Brentford go up, but if they’re buying for that, it’s a different model. And last year they spent £2m to directly replace Maupay, who was sold for close to what Watkins will go for, so it’s not just a proportional increase in sales and fees on direct replacements. This is a step change.

Yes but you're purposefully ignoring the revenues both already generated in previous years and those projected from the possible/eventual sale of Benhrama. It's an artificial framing to justify a totally inflexible interpretation of said model. Plus Toney's good so ner!
Other clubs transfers - summer thread on 21:09 - Aug 27 with 1733 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Oh good, more chat about Brentford.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Other clubs transfers - summer thread on 21:14 - Aug 27 with 1710 viewsHunterhoop

Other clubs transfers - summer thread on 20:57 - Aug 27 by rsonist

Yes but you're purposefully ignoring the revenues both already generated in previous years and those projected from the possible/eventual sale of Benhrama. It's an artificial framing to justify a totally inflexible interpretation of said model. Plus Toney's good so ner!

I’m not. They aren’t sitting there with a growing pot of cash from players sells.

They invested a proportion of player sale revenue from last year (the same the year before, and so on) on reinvesting in the squad, but they did by spending small amounts across a number of players. It spread their risk, increased their chances of finding the next healthy pig to fatten for market and meant the overall quality of the squad improved.

The revenue they didn’t went towards the running costs of the club, because they don’t have a rich owner writing a cheque each money. That left over money makes them sustainable as an outfit.

If this year, they reinvest a similar amount to last year but in just one or two players, it is a change in approach. Risk isn’t spread and the upside on investment is lower, which risks the model in 12 and 24 months. It’s a change in approach, which indicates to me, it’s them really going for promotion because “Toney is good” and let’s get the best players for promotion.

It may work. But it is a change in strategy.

It means expectations change, within the fanbase, club and, perhaps most importantly, the dressing room. It’ll be interesting to see if it works. And if Toney fails, of which there is a chance, there’ll be fewer high value pigs for market in 12 months’ time. What then? Whilst everyone wants to fawn over Brentford (rightly so for what they have to done over the last 5 years or so) IF they splash that sort of cash on one player, it is a high risk and change in model. The timing may make it the right change. I don’t know. But it is a change and it does have risk.
Other clubs transfers - summer thread on 21:14 - Aug 27 with 1710 viewsichbinnaughty

Other clubs transfers - summer thread on 21:09 - Aug 27 by BrianMcCarthy

😂
Other clubs transfers - summer thread on 21:26 - Aug 27 with 1669 viewsHunterhoop

Ha! Fair enough. Sorry. I do think it’s genuinely interesting if Brentford do splash the cash though.
Other clubs transfers - summer thread on 21:42 - Aug 27 with 1615 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Other clubs transfers - summer thread on 21:26 - Aug 27 by Hunterhoop

Ha! Fair enough. Sorry. I do think it’s genuinely interesting if Brentford do splash the cash though.

Sorry, Hunter!

Other clubs transfers - summer thread on 22:09 - Aug 27 with 1562 viewsswitchingcode

Think Stanley needs a walk 😀
Other clubs transfers - summer thread on 01:26 - Aug 28 with 1458 viewsBrianMcCarthy

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/aug/27/chelsea-sign-thiago-silva-on-fr

The Racists sign young Thiago Silva
#stickingwiththekids

Other clubs transfers - summer thread on 01:29 - Aug 28 with 1454 viewsB_Wad

https://mobile.twitter.com/BBCRNS/status/1298938275609141249

Really? Luke and the Trees? Would be interesting to have him back.
[Post edited 28 Aug 2020 1:30]
Other clubs transfers - summer thread on 08:53 - Aug 28 with 1280 viewsHunterhoop

Other clubs transfers - summer thread on 01:26 - Aug 28 by BrianMcCarthy

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/aug/27/chelsea-sign-thiago-silva-on-fr

The Racists sign young Thiago Silva
#stickingwiththekids

It’s good to see that small moment in their history of operating in an admirable manner (albeit forced on them) has been immediately sniffed out on the return off their free will to throw money at anything they want.

I hope this all goes disastrously and their young talent wants out whilst the older boys take them for the retirement fund they are.
Other clubs transfers - summer thread on 08:56 - Aug 28 with 1273 viewsEsox_Lucius

Other clubs transfers - summer thread on 01:29 - Aug 28 by B_Wad

To stunt Chair & Bettache's development. Good player for us? tick. In the past now? tick.
[Post edited 28 Aug 2020 8:56]

The grass is always greener.

Other clubs transfers - summer thread on 15:07 - Aug 28 with 1177 viewsfrancisbowles

Other clubs transfers - summer thread on 01:29 - Aug 28 by B_Wad

It seems very likely that Forest will pay a much larger proportion of his 'premier league' wages than we would or could pay.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024