Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Charlie Goode 14:12 - Jul 29 with 7044 viewsGloucs_R

Apparently us and Middlesbrough have made an offer for the Northampton town captain

Poll: Warburton, What's next?

Charlie Goode on 22:33 - Jul 29 with 2325 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Charlie Goode on 22:15 - Jul 29 by karl

From watching Glasgow Rangers quite often under MW, I thought his favourite set up was high fullbacks and centre backs split to either side of the box to receive the ball off the keeper. Essentially the sitting midfielders weren't there to play the ball but protect against breakdown of play, the attack was wing orientated and if not available then a long diagonal was the out ball.
I don't think he has brought in Ball or Cameron to do much else and with Eze, BOS etc you can see a pattern there.
Amos wasn't great in that role next to Ball, given his physical attributes and how much better he was further up the pitch possibly this accounts for a lot of that?
If MW does get a big non ball playing CB then are we seeing a departure from his preferred tactics in order to stiffen up the team?
It's been a while since he managed GR so obviously willing to accept that he's played different tactics but the post lock down games I watched did remind me of his time in Scotland.
Ultimately his mistake at Glasgow Rangers was weakness defensively, all managers should evolve and his positives far outweigh these points but with the goals against this season it has to be looked at

Very good post, Karl.

We definitely play with split CB's, or of Lumley's playing we hit Manning with passes to the wings (which he's excellent at). The preferred route, as you say, is up the wings or diags (baby).

But post-lockdown many teams were stopping that, I felt, so we were going infield to the holding midfielders and they were losing it with ambitious passes and for want of lack of options further forward as there was a huge gap between them and three attacking mids.
(This is where I was calling for Eze to drop deep to provide that out ball).

If, as you say, we were to buy a CR, I can't imagine Warburton would want one as basic in his passing as BFG2. It defeats the whole system.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Charlie Goode on 23:10 - Jul 29 with 2188 viewskarl

Charlie Goode on 22:33 - Jul 29 by BrianMcCarthy

Very good post, Karl.

We definitely play with split CB's, or of Lumley's playing we hit Manning with passes to the wings (which he's excellent at). The preferred route, as you say, is up the wings or diags (baby).

But post-lockdown many teams were stopping that, I felt, so we were going infield to the holding midfielders and they were losing it with ambitious passes and for want of lack of options further forward as there was a huge gap between them and three attacking mids.
(This is where I was calling for Eze to drop deep to provide that out ball).

If, as you say, we were to buy a CR, I can't imagine Warburton would want one as basic in his passing as BFG2. It defeats the whole system.

Yes, if we're seeing it is MWs favoured attacking method then of course teams who are analysing what made us so good at certain times in the season and with such a long period to do so can obviously put in stifling tactics, perhaps that's more indicative as to the reason Ball and Amos were exposed so badly, Plan A was plugged and unfortunately we haven't the quality to adapt and play through different channels?
Bit of clutching straws perhaps but definitely some argument in favour. Tbh Cameron in the CM causes a bit of harem scarem so maybe breaks up the oppositions structure and the broken play which ensues suits our players! (before they're all sold😭)
Charlie Goode on 23:22 - Jul 29 with 2148 viewsrsonist

By all accounts Goode isn't a non ball playing CB despite being big and fast.

Karl's post does neatly explain why the McKenna pursuit never made a lick of sense to me though, and especially not at the figures reported.

As far as the CM philosophy goes MW has said himself this season he envies having Sawyers most. At Brentford he had Forshaw dictating play from deep too.

And ultimately if MW truly does value sitting midfielders primarily to protect against breakdown of play you doubt we'd have been treated to the wide open space behind Manning all season long, for starters.
Charlie Goode on 09:00 - Jul 30 with 1878 viewsTheChef

Charlie Goode on 23:22 - Jul 29 by rsonist

Karl's post does neatly explain why the McKenna pursuit never made a lick of sense to me though, and especially not at the figures reported.

As far as the CM philosophy goes MW has said himself this season he envies having Sawyers most. At Brentford he had Forshaw dictating play from deep too.

And ultimately if MW truly does value sitting midfielders primarily to protect against breakdown of play you doubt we'd have been treated to the wide open space behind Manning all season long, for starters.

Hmmm, any chance we can get Ale Faurlin back?

He doesn't have to run around much, just pick up balls from the CBs and ping passes around.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Charlie Goode on 09:32 - Jul 30 with 1808 viewsrsonist

Charlie Goode on 09:00 - Jul 30 by TheChef

He doesn't have to run around much, just pick up balls from the CBs and ping passes around.

The Forest writer at the Athletic has been saying for a while that we've offered Ben Watson a contract.
Charlie Goode on 09:42 - Jul 30 with 1770 viewsted_hendrix

Charlie Goode on 09:32 - Jul 30 by rsonist

The Forest writer at the Athletic has been saying for a while that we've offered Ben Watson a contract.

When he was at QPR I thought he was a cracking player who never seemed to get picked much, maybe it just didn't work out for him here, not sure what he's like now must be getting on a bit.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Charlie Goode on 09:44 - Jul 30 with 1757 viewsMick_S

Charlie Goode on 09:42 - Jul 30 by ted_hendrix

When he was at QPR I thought he was a cracking player who never seemed to get picked much, maybe it just didn't work out for him here, not sure what he's like now must be getting on a bit.

35 Ted.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Charlie Goode on 09:45 - Jul 30 with 1750 viewsfrancisbowles

The sendings off in consecutive games didn't help, Ted.
Login to get fewer ads

Charlie Goode on 09:52 - Jul 30 with 1698 viewsDannytheR

Charlie Goode on 23:22 - Jul 29 by rsonist

Crossed my mind that we might try to get Forshaw in on loan. Coming back after a long term injury and needs the games.
Charlie Goode on 10:01 - Jul 30 with 1653 viewsrsonist

Had a terrific season, played every minute of every game bar one sitting deep and doing a Wilkins. They want him to stay but we're supposedly dangling a two year contract (and a return to London).
Charlie Goode on 10:03 - Jul 30 with 1639 viewsMyke

Charlie Goode on 09:00 - Jul 30 by TheChef

Well maybe not Faulin, but that is essentially what that fat guy from Reading and that fat guy from Derby were doing last season. Problem is, with the exception of Chair, not sure who we will have to ping passes to next season.
Charlie Goode on 10:04 - Jul 30 with 1632 viewsrsonist

Charlie Goode on 09:52 - Jul 30 by DannytheR

Crossed my mind that we might try to get Forshaw in on loan. Coming back after a long term injury and needs the games.

Hard to say how much risk we're prepared to take on crocks - if we really were/are interested in Sam Hutchinson then I guess plenty. Beram Kayal in a similar situation is available too. As I say Watson has played every game.
Charlie Goode on 10:05 - Jul 30 with 1628 viewsMyke

Charlie Goode on 15:10 - Jul 29 by Northernr

We've got a centre back that can pass and fanny about and play lovely diags. If the bloke next to him is a big basic bitch I don't think it matters. Liked the look of the lad in the play-offs.

But not as basic a bitch as Leistner apparently - whom we own
Charlie Goode on 10:07 - Jul 30 with 1618 viewsMyke

Charlie Goode on 15:00 - Jul 29 by Northernr

If we're signing somebody called Goode then Eze must stay. I don't care if we end up losing him for nothing.

Potentially the best ever terrace chant involved Dunne, Mutch and Yun. Sadly they were all rarely on the pitch at the same time
Charlie Goode on 10:25 - Jul 30 with 1527 viewsHunterhoop

Charlie Goode on 10:07 - Jul 30 by Myke

Potentially the best ever terrace chant involved Dunne, Mutch and Yun. Sadly they were all rarely on the pitch at the same time

I think the Richard Dunne, Dun Dun Dun Dunne chant was pretty good.

I thank you (on behalf of a friend I stand next at LR to who came up with it, although wasn’t around when it got its first airing).

90s dance music is a rich seam of inspiring to be mined for football chants. Very disappointed our Taarabt song to the tune of Rhythm is a Dancer never caught on away at Utd the year we won 3-0 in the promotion season. That Paladini mob though it “too gay” and refused to join in. Bit insecure if you ask me.
Charlie Goode on 10:47 - Jul 30 with 1462 viewsterryb

I think Mutch was on the pitch more than enough!
Charlie Goode on 10:58 - Jul 30 with 1419 viewspaulparker

The local rag up here is saying they are holding out for 750k to a million and no bids have been made , Boro & Sunderland also interested , with Boro possible favourites to get him

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Charlie Goode on 13:36 - Jul 30 with 1162 viewstimcocking

Hmmm, Izzy Brown and Goode...pretty sure there's a joke to be had somewhere.
Charlie Goode on 14:57 - Jul 30 with 956 viewsDannyPaddox

Charlie Goode on 10:25 - Jul 30 by Hunterhoop

I think the Richard Dunne, Dun Dun Dun Dunne chant was pretty good.

I thank you (on behalf of a friend I stand next at LR to who came up with it, although wasn’t around when it got its first airing).

90s dance music is a rich seam of inspiring to be mined for football chants. Very disappointed our Taarabt song to the tune of Rhythm is a Dancer never caught on away at Utd the year we won 3-0 in the promotion season. That Paladini mob though it “too gay” and refused to join in. Bit insecure if you ask me.

Our section of the Upper Loft (okay myself and 2 mates) went for the equally repetitive and wonderfully rifftastic Status Quo-inspired Dunne Dunne Richard Dunne. Alas didn’t catch on. Open-G tuning may have been too challenging
Charlie Goode on 15:03 - Jul 30 with 922 viewsHantsR

But I think Young was?
Charlie Goode on 15:17 - Jul 30 with 858 viewsEsox_Lucius

I can't understand why, after the entertaining season we just witnessed, that "It's fun to play at the KPFS, it's fun to play at the KPFS" with appropriate arm actions never caught on.

The grass is always greener.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024