Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Charlie Goode 14:12 - Jul 29 with 7045 viewsGloucs_R

Apparently us and Middlesbrough have made an offer for the Northampton town captain

Poll: Warburton, What's next?

Charlie Goode on 14:21 - Jul 29 with 4640 viewsAntti_Heinola

interesting analysis

https://totalfootballanalysis.com/player-analysis/charlie-goode-201920-scout-rep

Bare bones.

Charlie Goode on 14:31 - Jul 29 with 4570 viewsdannyblue

aaah, managed by Keith Curle, so suspect that's the root of Uncle Neil's interest...
Charlie Goode on 14:32 - Jul 29 with 4559 viewsDannyPaddox

If the Rs buy Charlie Goode I beseech Ebere to stay one more season. Not just cos we luv him and he’s the best thing since sliced bread (and Adel Taarabt) but for the sake of a great football chant ...

[Post edited 29 Jul 2020 14:55]
Charlie Goode on 14:38 - Jul 29 with 4504 viewsfrancisbowles

Thanks guys. Great info.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/charlie-goode/profil/spieler/376856

25 next month, captain, 6 ft 5ins. Only downside he seemed to have to drop from League 1 to League 2 last year. Seems to have done very well since though.
Charlie Goode on 14:40 - Jul 29 with 4485 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Charlie Goode on 14:21 - Jul 29 by Antti_Heinola

interesting analysis

https://totalfootballanalysis.com/player-analysis/charlie-goode-201920-scout-rep

That's an excellent report.

He's a local lad as well, being from Watford, so may not fancy Boro (presuming that's not just a lazy Curle=Warnock rumour).

Sounds interesting, if we are in.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Charlie Goode on 14:49 - Jul 29 with 4406 viewsdaveB

He looked good in the playoffs
Charlie Goode on 15:00 - Jul 29 with 4347 viewsNorthernr

If we're signing somebody called Goode then Eze must stay. I don't care if we end up losing him for nothing.
Charlie Goode on 15:07 - Jul 29 with 4282 viewsPhilmyRs

Interesting report on him and the interest in whether he can adapt his game to a 'pass out from the back' approach given his current tactics are long ball orientated. Begs the question is it easier to teach a ball playing player how to defend or a defensive minded rock how to pass. At Championship level I think you prioritise getting in a centre back that does the basics right and wins their physical battles. Could be a decent addition.
Login to get fewer ads

Charlie Goode on 15:10 - Jul 29 with 4253 viewsNorthernr

We've got a centre back that can pass and fanny about and play lovely diags. If the bloke next to him is a big basic bitch I don't think it matters. Liked the look of the lad in the play-offs.
Charlie Goode on 15:21 - Jul 29 with 4143 viewsBoston

Let’s hope he enjoys being close to his family, because if it’s a choice between us or ‘boro he’ll have a lot to consider.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Charlie Goode on 15:22 - Jul 29 with 4157 viewsJamesB1979

Charlie Goode on 15:00 - Jul 29 by Northernr

If we're signing somebody called Goode then Eze must stay. I don't care if we end up losing him for nothing.

And Urko Vera and his brother.
Charlie Goode on 15:23 - Jul 29 with 4147 viewsNorthantsHoop

Charlie Goode on 15:10 - Jul 29 by Northernr

We've got a centre back that can pass and fanny about and play lovely diags. If the bloke next to him is a big basic bitch I don't think it matters. Liked the look of the lad in the play-offs.

He is improving all the time, rated highly by my Northampton Town mates. Imposing and strong in the air and massive throw. Will need a little time to adjust to Championship but at 24 and their captain leading them to play offs would be a very good signing, if it comes off.
Charlie Goode on 15:23 - Jul 29 with 4144 viewsWatford_Ranger

Charlie Goode on 14:40 - Jul 29 by BrianMcCarthy

That's an excellent report.

He's a local lad as well, being from Watford, so may not fancy Boro (presuming that's not just a lazy Curle=Warnock rumour).

Sounds interesting, if we are in.

If he was from Boro he’d surely not fancy Boro.
Charlie Goode on 15:23 - Jul 29 with 4142 viewsrobith

Charlie Goode on 15:07 - Jul 29 by PhilmyRs

Interesting report on him and the interest in whether he can adapt his game to a 'pass out from the back' approach given his current tactics are long ball orientated. Begs the question is it easier to teach a ball playing player how to defend or a defensive minded rock how to pass. At Championship level I think you prioritise getting in a centre back that does the basics right and wins their physical battles. Could be a decent addition.

The thing is imo Warbz isn't pass/possession from some moral imperative, it's because statistically more successful. So the number that stuck out to me was how many aerial duels he wins.

For context we are 21/24 in the championship for aerial duels won per game. Now this in and of itself isn't bad, after all Brentford and Leeds are the worst. In fact, there is a strong negative correlation (-0.66) between possession and aerial duels; that is the more overall possession you have, the fewer aerial duels you need to win.

However the teams who win it in the air a lot, are the ones we've struggled against this season. So at on CB position sacrificing possession ability for winning those duels could a statistically valid sacrifice to improve the team overall
Charlie Goode on 15:28 - Jul 29 with 4085 viewsdaveB

if the midfield got better at picking up the ball deep and starting attacks our centre halves being great on the ball would be less of an issue
Charlie Goode on 15:35 - Jul 29 with 4020 viewsrsonist

Charlie Goode on 15:23 - Jul 29 by robith

The thing is imo Warbz isn't pass/possession from some moral imperative, it's because statistically more successful. So the number that stuck out to me was how many aerial duels he wins.

For context we are 21/24 in the championship for aerial duels won per game. Now this in and of itself isn't bad, after all Brentford and Leeds are the worst. In fact, there is a strong negative correlation (-0.66) between possession and aerial duels; that is the more overall possession you have, the fewer aerial duels you need to win.

However the teams who win it in the air a lot, are the ones we've struggled against this season. So at on CB position sacrificing possession ability for winning those duels could a statistically valid sacrifice to improve the team overall

It's not just that though - you can try minimise the passing responsibility for an old school CB but play a high line like we do, with full backs going walkies and lack of positional structure out of possession and they're always likely to get roasted. Swap Tarkowski and David Luiz round and see who does better.

Piece about Goode upthread makes him sound like a lower league Van Dijk full package unicorn who can solve all our problems at once.
Charlie Goode on 15:39 - Jul 29 with 3987 viewsNorthantsHoop

We need to become a bigger more physical side, Warburton has admitted this in his recent match reports. The games in the re-start think cemented this in his thinking as we were done over by Charlton and Wigan specifically in the physicality department. I like that he is planning this way most of our Championship rivals tend to have a height advantage.
Charlie Goode on 15:39 - Jul 29 with 3986 viewsBrianMcCarthy

"In fact, there is a strong negative correlation (-0.66) between possession and aerial duels; that is the more overall possession you have, the fewer aerial duels you need to win."

Good point, though another factor is that some teams who concentrate on winning aerial duals tend not to play possession football. Which makes your final point all the more pertinent*.

*I learned that word yesterday. On the Corona thread.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Charlie Goode on 16:08 - Jul 29 with 3832 viewsBazzeR

Is he better than Luke Woolfendale ?
Charlie Goode on 16:13 - Jul 29 with 3797 viewsPhilmyRs

Just to be clear I do think we need better leadership and a defender who will win his fair share of aerial duels. I was just flagging what the writer in the article said about Goode being in one of the Team's that played most long balls in the division and wondered how he would adapt with a Team playing out from the back - if he comes to us, he'll get to find out.

I support the principle that possession is key - in theory you shouldn't conceed while knocking the ball about but that assumes all players are comfortable taking ownership and responsibility for doing it. Lumley clearly struggled when asked to use the ball more carefully while as DaveB mentioned our midield are not the best at offering an option and dictating play from deep.

I think, like you say, sacrificing some ball possession for an improved performance in aerial duels at the back is a trade-off worth making but at the same time I'd like us to improve our ball retention from midfield positions to balance it out a bit. A young Ali Faurlin would be nice.
Charlie Goode on 19:16 - Jul 29 with 3256 viewsolderR

Charlie Goode on 14:31 - Jul 29 by dannyblue

aaah, managed by Keith Curle, so suspect that's the root of Uncle Neil's interest...

The root of Neil's interest is 6ft 5ins.
Charlie Goode on 21:12 - Jul 29 with 2969 viewskarl

Not sure if mentioned elsewhere but Scottish paper The Herald are reporting that QPR won't be back in for Scott McKenna, Aberdeen, after failing with a £3m bid last year.
Obviously ties in looking for alternatives
Charlie Goode on 21:58 - Jul 29 with 2758 viewsjoolsyp

Charlie Goode on 16:13 - Jul 29 by PhilmyRs

Just to be clear I do think we need better leadership and a defender who will win his fair share of aerial duels. I was just flagging what the writer in the article said about Goode being in one of the Team's that played most long balls in the division and wondered how he would adapt with a Team playing out from the back - if he comes to us, he'll get to find out.

I support the principle that possession is key - in theory you shouldn't conceed while knocking the ball about but that assumes all players are comfortable taking ownership and responsibility for doing it. Lumley clearly struggled when asked to use the ball more carefully while as DaveB mentioned our midield are not the best at offering an option and dictating play from deep.

I think, like you say, sacrificing some ball possession for an improved performance in aerial duels at the back is a trade-off worth making but at the same time I'd like us to improve our ball retention from midfield positions to balance it out a bit. A young Ali Faurlin would be nice.

Grimes and Gallagher for Swansea tonight were extremely comfortable on the ball and always looking to receive it from their centre-backs or the keeper. Not saying either will be available but we do need an upgrade on Ball and Cameron in that position. Is little Tommy Carol available? 😉
Charlie Goode on 22:01 - Jul 29 with 2738 viewsWatford_Ranger

Charlie Goode on 21:58 - Jul 29 by joolsyp

Grimes and Gallagher for Swansea tonight were extremely comfortable on the ball and always looking to receive it from their centre-backs or the keeper. Not saying either will be available but we do need an upgrade on Ball and Cameron in that position. Is little Tommy Carol available? 😉

Poor kid (28) hasn’t played since the 5-1 in the cup.
Charlie Goode on 22:15 - Jul 29 with 2675 viewskarl

Charlie Goode on 21:58 - Jul 29 by joolsyp

From watching Glasgow Rangers quite often under MW, I thought his favourite set up was high fullbacks and centre backs split to either side of the box to receive the ball off the keeper. Essentially the sitting midfielders weren't there to play the ball but protect against breakdown of play, the attack was wing orientated and if not available then a long diagonal was the out ball.
I don't think he has brought in Ball or Cameron to do much else and with Eze, BOS etc you can see a pattern there.
Amos wasn't great in that role next to Ball, given his physical attributes and how much better he was further up the pitch possibly this accounts for a lot of that?
If MW does get a big non ball playing CB then are we seeing a departure from his preferred tactics in order to stiffen up the team?
It's been a while since he managed GR so obviously willing to accept that he's played different tactics but the post lock down games I watched did remind me of his time in Scotland.
Ultimately his mistake at Glasgow Rangers was weakness defensively, all managers should evolve and his positives far outweigh these points but with the goals against this season it has to be looked at
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024