Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Things You Don't Understand 16:53 - Jul 29 with 5311 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Currency Exchange.

"This morning, the pound is strong against the euro, which dropped three points on the dollar, which rallied against the yen..."

STOP IT! JUST FUGGIN' STOP FOR A SECOND! PlEASE!

It makes my brain hurt. There's screaming in there. Banshees wailing in my head.
Strong? Weak? Are these currencies bodybuilders? Do they have human qualities?

Just. Stop. It.

I did Economics at A Level. I did well. I would have been top of the class if it wasn't for the other student in the class.
I get things. Some things.

So why when I hand my money over to the 16-yr old pimply lad in the perspex booth do I just hope for the best, get a random amount of notes back, think "ooh, that's a lot" and thank him twice?

Apart from the obvious conclusion, that is.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Things You Don't Understand on 23:23 - Jul 29 with 1144 viewsMrSheen

I’m reading a fascinating book at the moment called A Fistful of Shells by Toby Greene about West Africa before, during and after the slave trade. There’s far too much in it to do it justice here, but one of the remarkable aspects is the different currencies the different African states used and which they demanded of European traders, including iron bars, copper bracelets, lengths of cloth and particularly cowrie shells. The latter were small shells, originally from the Maldives, which had the quality of precious metals to contemporary (and modern) Europeans - compact, instantly recognisable and hard enough to come by that they had a value as a store of wealth and a medium of exchange. At least they were until European traders turned up with boatloads full of them direct from the source, flooded local markets with them and ruined all the accumulated wealth they represented.

Ironically, the Europeans first came to West Africa to buy locally mined gold, which the locals presumably thought was too common and easy to find to hold the same value for them as Cowries. One day, future generations may mock us for putting our faith in paper money, which can be produced by the boatload even easier than a load of shells. Bit of a ramble, but don’t let it put you off the book.
Things You Don't Understand on 23:36 - Jul 29 with 1135 viewsMrSheen

One thing I could never understand was Video Plus codes, the numbers they printed in TV listings you could programme into your VCR to record shows. A 30 minute show on BBC2 at 9pm on Tuesday might be 0364, but 30 minutes from 9.30 might be 5264957838. I could never see any pattern, like the codes were chosen by an Enigma machine.
Things You Don't Understand on 00:14 - Jul 30 with 1113 viewsBoston

Things You Don't Understand on 22:02 - Jul 29 by Sharpy36

Could be wrong but "I promise to pay the bearer the sum of" means to the same value in gold, and the bank of England has to keep enough gold in their vaults to honour that promise.

Sterling Silver, a mixture of silver and copper, in coins, by the pound....Fat chance.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Things You Don't Understand on 00:59 - Jul 30 with 1083 viewsSharpy36

Things You Don't Understand on 00:14 - Jul 30 by Boston

Sterling Silver, a mixture of silver and copper, in coins, by the pound....Fat chance.

The whole system pre dates current coin content and the alloys which make up modern day coins. We`re talking silver and gold here.

[Post edited 30 Jul 2020 1:15]

'You didn't know that was wrong, but now you do. If you do it again, I'll know you are doing it on purpose.'

Things You Don't Understand on 01:07 - Jul 30 with 1088 viewstimcocking

Speaking of not understanding currency, specifically currency manipulation, the Thai military did some kind of dodgy scam i'm sure with China which saw the value of the Thai Baht mysteriously skyrocket. In comparison with the pound. Instead of getting almost 80 Baht to the Pound, as i had for my first decade in Thailand, it dropped to about 37 Baht in the space of a few months or so. Highly illegal somewhere along the line no doubt. Now every single thing i pay for is like buy one pay for two. Which means i'm now paying for a family of six instead of three and thirty bloody cats to pay feed.
[Post edited 30 Jul 2020 4:26]
Things You Don't Understand on 02:59 - Jul 30 with 1065 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Things You Don't Understand on 22:17 - Jul 29 by CliveWilsonSaid

Oysters

Random answer I know but you're unlikely to encounter them otherwise.
[Post edited 29 Jul 2020 22:19]

You’ve clearly not used London Transport for a while.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Things You Don't Understand on 08:25 - Jul 30 with 1003 viewsRangersDave

May the road rise with you!

Friday perfection, and your welcome chums, have a good one...........

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Things You Don't Understand on 08:34 - Jul 30 with 992 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Mondays delivery driver.

Big eyebrows on ladies.

Craft Ale/Lager (as Leo Kearse said "why do you have to craft it why cant you just make it?" )

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Login to get fewer ads

Things You Don't Understand on 08:49 - Jul 30 with 968 viewsdanehoop

just genius.

Never knowingly understood

Things You Don't Understand on 20:57 - Jul 30 with 891 viewsNorthantsHoop

Why we want HS2, out of date before you even put shovel in the ground. Can see the value of building i.e. construction jobs etc. but it will never pay off the taxpayer investment. The Covid pandemic is proving most white collar work can be done remotely and digital technology is the way forward.
[Post edited 30 Jul 2020 21:01]
Things You Don't Understand on 22:38 - Jul 30 with 819 viewsDavieQPR

Reminds me of Italy when you used to be given sweets as small change. All the Lira coins were being collected to use in Japanese transistor radios. Cheaper than buying the metal at source.
Things You Don't Understand on 00:14 - Jul 31 with 793 viewsMrSheen

Things You Don't Understand on 22:38 - Jul 30 by DavieQPR

Reminds me of Italy when you used to be given sweets as small change. All the Lira coins were being collected to use in Japanese transistor radios. Cheaper than buying the metal at source.

I remember standing at the checkout in Italy waiting for my 3 lire change. It may only have been 0.12p, but it was my 0.12p. Now in Ireland individual items in the supermarket are charged in cents, but they round the final bill to the nearest 5c. Still takes some getting used to.
Things You Don't Understand on 02:17 - Jul 31 with 769 viewstimcocking

The Beeb.
[Post edited 31 Jul 2020 4:10]
Things You Don't Understand on 07:05 - Jul 31 with 737 viewsdavman

Interest, Money and especially the National Debt. Back in the day before money, people traded in goods. Today I have a chicken, tomorrow, I have a chicken, not 1.00125 of a chicken, but that is what happens with interest and money.

If I borrow a chicken off you tomorrow, by next week and through my loan shark rate, you'll owe me one and a half chicken s - WHY???

Every country in the world seems to have a National Debt, so who the hell do they owe it to? Why can't it be unilaterally wiped out? Why can't we just give up some land to whoever we owe to to pay it off?

Really confused about that...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Things You Don't Understand on 09:17 - Jul 31 with 700 viewsMrSheen

Things You Don't Understand on 07:05 - Jul 31 by davman

Interest, Money and especially the National Debt. Back in the day before money, people traded in goods. Today I have a chicken, tomorrow, I have a chicken, not 1.00125 of a chicken, but that is what happens with interest and money.

If I borrow a chicken off you tomorrow, by next week and through my loan shark rate, you'll owe me one and a half chicken s - WHY???

Every country in the world seems to have a National Debt, so who the hell do they owe it to? Why can't it be unilaterally wiped out? Why can't we just give up some land to whoever we owe to to pay it off?

Really confused about that...

Do you have a pension? About half of it will be in bonds, mostly issued by governments. Government debt is mostly owed to its citizens, to be repaid after our death by persons unknown, assumed to be more prudent and responsible than we were.
Things You Don't Understand on 09:23 - Jul 31 with 695 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Things You Don't Understand on 09:17 - Jul 31 by MrSheen

Do you have a pension? About half of it will be in bonds, mostly issued by governments. Government debt is mostly owed to its citizens, to be repaid after our death by persons unknown, assumed to be more prudent and responsible than we were.

After I read your post about 'A fistfull of shells' (which i'd not read or heard of) The very next day my Amazon sent be a 'recommended' e-mail and second on the list after some book on Caesar was that one.

#amazonarewatching

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Things You Don't Understand on 09:59 - Jul 31 with 663 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Kings Cross/St Pancras station 🤷🏼‍♂️
[Post edited 31 Jul 2020 10:05]

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Things You Don't Understand on 10:01 - Jul 31 with 658 viewsbosh67

Anything. I don't understand anything.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Things You Don't Understand on 10:27 - Jul 31 with 633 viewsloftboy

Things You Don't Understand on 22:02 - Jul 29 by Sharpy36

Could be wrong but "I promise to pay the bearer the sum of" means to the same value in gold, and the bank of England has to keep enough gold in their vaults to honour that promise.

Well they did until Gordon brown got the keys to the vault!

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Things You Don't Understand on 11:00 - Jul 31 with 602 viewsisawqpratwcity

Things You Don't Understand on 09:23 - Jul 31 by Metallica_Hoop

After I read your post about 'A fistfull of shells' (which i'd not read or heard of) The very next day my Amazon sent be a 'recommended' e-mail and second on the list after some book on Caesar was that one.

#amazonarewatching

Google, too.

Someone sent me a text (on my phone) that included the phrase "63 Tulloch Road". I closed the text and opened Google Maps to find out where that address was ans had only typed in '63 ' when the predictive address bar filled in the 'Tulloch Road'.

Bastard Google is reading my messages to find out what I am interested in.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Things You Don't Understand on 15:49 - Jul 31 with 530 viewsdavman

Things You Don't Understand on 09:17 - Jul 31 by MrSheen

Ah, so we are all bastards to the subsequent generations then. Thought so - great stuff, never liked those millennials - have that you pesky lot.

..... Only joking.

... Or not...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Things You Don't Understand on 16:03 - Jul 31 with 524 viewsNorthernr

How Lee Tomlin isn't offside for that Cardiff goal last night.
Things You Don't Understand on 16:07 - Jul 31 with 518 viewskensalriser

Things You Don't Understand on 16:03 - Jul 31 by Northernr

How Lee Tomlin isn't offside for that Cardiff goal last night.

That's easy, he's too slow to be offside.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Things You Don't Understand on 16:09 - Jul 31 with 516 viewsNorthernr

Things You Don't Understand on 16:07 - Jul 31 by kensalriser

That's easy, he's too slow to be offside.

Or in this case was too slow to get onside, at any point, during the whole incident, and yet still a goal.
Things You Don't Understand on 16:21 - Jul 31 with 508 viewsHarbour

What Was the QPR strategy for defending corners free kicks etc
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024