Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Things You Don't Understand 16:53 - Jul 29 with 5351 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Currency Exchange.

"This morning, the pound is strong against the euro, which dropped three points on the dollar, which rallied against the yen..."

STOP IT! JUST FUGGIN' STOP FOR A SECOND! PlEASE!

It makes my brain hurt. There's screaming in there. Banshees wailing in my head.
Strong? Weak? Are these currencies bodybuilders? Do they have human qualities?

Just. Stop. It.

I did Economics at A Level. I did well. I would have been top of the class if it wasn't for the other student in the class.
I get things. Some things.

So why when I hand my money over to the 16-yr old pimply lad in the perspex booth do I just hope for the best, get a random amount of notes back, think "ooh, that's a lot" and thank him twice?

Apart from the obvious conclusion, that is.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Things You Don't Understand on 17:24 - Jul 31 with 928 viewsR_from_afar

Things You Don't Understand on 20:57 - Jul 30 by NorthantsHoop

Why we want HS2, out of date before you even put shovel in the ground. Can see the value of building i.e. construction jobs etc. but it will never pay off the taxpayer investment. The Covid pandemic is proving most white collar work can be done remotely and digital technology is the way forward.
[Post edited 30 Jul 2020 21:01]

Surely it's worth £100bn+ of our money to shave 20 minutes off a journey to between London and Birmingham? Meanwhile, those in the south west of England pray that we don't have the heavy rain which will take out their rail link to the rest of the country - yet again.

I think HS2 is, with Hinckley C, part of some sort of vast, ironic theme park of eye-wateringly expensive, pointless white elephants.

Meanwhile, the Swansea Bay tidal scheme, which would create jobs and leisure facilities while at the same time delivering round the clock electricity - nearly as much of it as Hinckley C but for more years and at a much lower cost - remains just a dream.

Oh, I nearly forgot to mention that the design which is being used for Hinckley C has never been successfully built before (I kid you not) and that the Chinese are heavily involved, that nation the government doesn't trust to provide telecoms equipment but which is waved through for a nice benign little project like a nuclear power station.

It's turned out nice again

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Things You Don't Understand on 17:32 - Jul 31 with 922 viewsNorthernr

Things You Don't Understand on 17:24 - Jul 31 by R_from_afar

Surely it's worth £100bn+ of our money to shave 20 minutes off a journey to between London and Birmingham? Meanwhile, those in the south west of England pray that we don't have the heavy rain which will take out their rail link to the rest of the country - yet again.

I think HS2 is, with Hinckley C, part of some sort of vast, ironic theme park of eye-wateringly expensive, pointless white elephants.

Meanwhile, the Swansea Bay tidal scheme, which would create jobs and leisure facilities while at the same time delivering round the clock electricity - nearly as much of it as Hinckley C but for more years and at a much lower cost - remains just a dream.

Oh, I nearly forgot to mention that the design which is being used for Hinckley C has never been successfully built before (I kid you not) and that the Chinese are heavily involved, that nation the government doesn't trust to provide telecoms equipment but which is waved through for a nice benign little project like a nuclear power station.

I've just resorted to your last line to everything at the moment.
Nice isn't it? Might pop to the end of the garden. Water the fcking tomato plants.

Things You Don't Understand on 17:49 - Jul 31 with 892 viewsdistortR

Things You Don't Understand on 17:24 - Jul 31 by R_from_afar

was nodding along until i read the swansea bay thing. Been covered quite a bit in private eye - dodgy geezer.
Things You Don't Understand on 17:53 - Jul 31 with 884 viewsbosh67

Things You Don't Understand on 16:21 - Jul 31 by Harbour

What Was the QPR strategy for defending corners free kicks etc

That's easy. It was all a double bluff. We didn't defend corners, free kicks etc.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Things You Don't Understand on 18:19 - Jul 31 with 876 viewsNorthernr

Things You Don't Understand on 17:53 - Jul 31 by bosh67

That's easy. It was all a double bluff. We didn't defend corners, free kicks etc.

It's beneath us.
Things You Don't Understand on 18:29 - Jul 31 with 864 viewsBrianMcCarthy

The time going "forward" or "back".

Don't understand why for the life of me. Shifting the idea of time when we could just agree to meet at another time? It really makes no sense whatsoever.

And I don't which is about to happen. I think, THINK, I was getting the hang of it when phones starting doing it themselves. Sometimes. Now i really have no idea. Is it 1am, 3am, does my phone know? How? Are we sure?

I swear the amount of times I have showed up two hours earlier for Sunday morning training and matches. Just in case.

Things You Don't Understand on 19:28 - Jul 31 with 819 viewsMickS

Things You Don't Understand on 18:29 - Jul 31 by BrianMcCarthy

Don't understand why for the life of me. Shifting the idea of time when we could just agree to meet at another time? It really makes no sense whatsoever.

And I don't which is about to happen. I think, THINK, I was getting the hang of it when phones starting doing it themselves. Sometimes. Now i really have no idea. Is it 1am, 3am, does my phone know? How? Are we sure?

I swear the amount of times I have showed up two hours earlier for Sunday morning training and matches. Just in case.

You are not alone, Brian. My dog struggles with it big time. Does that help?
Things You Don't Understand on 19:39 - Jul 31 with 808 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Things You Don't Understand on 19:28 - Jul 31 by MickS

You are not alone, Brian. My dog struggles with it big time. Does that help?

Ya, he was an hour late for our walk over this once.

Or I was early...

Login to get fewer ads

Things You Don't Understand on 20:47 - Jul 31 with 756 viewsR_from_afar

Things You Don't Understand on 17:49 - Jul 31 by distortR

was nodding along until i read the swansea bay thing. Been covered quite a bit in private eye - dodgy geezer.

Oh I didn't know that about him, interesting.

I think the concept is still sound, though.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Things You Don't Understand on 23:26 - Jul 31 with 727 viewsMrSheen

Things You Don't Understand on 20:47 - Jul 31 by R_from_afar

Is it any more than a concept though? Has a similar project ever paid its way anywhere in the world? Not a rhetorical question, I’ve no idea.

Conditioner. I’ve no need for more than a smear of shampoo anyway, but if it’s all such brilliantly engineered stuff these days anyway, why do you need the other stuff too?
Things You Don't Understand on 00:43 - Aug 1 with 705 viewsdistortR

Things You Don't Understand on 20:47 - Jul 31 by R_from_afar

An American company were going to showcase tidal technology over here, building a plant for free.
Our government said no, the general consensus being, if it's being done for free, there are no brown envelopes being passed around.
Things You Don't Understand on 09:49 - Aug 1 with 664 viewsGaryT

If you want to see a bottomless pit of money, have a look at fusion for energy (F4E) and ITER. I knew a guy who worked for F4E on a 3 month contract and needed accommodation so they put him up in a 7 bedroom house/mansion at a cost of a thousand euros a day. The directors often change as well, especially when their expense accounts becomes public knowledge. One Director spent over a grand downloading films to his phone in a week, just tip of the iceburg stuff but when it comes to wasting money, it's much easier when it's given to you by several countries who aren't expecting a return for 50/100 years.
Things You Don't Understand on 11:11 - Aug 1 with 641 viewsdistortR

Things You Don't Understand on 09:49 - Aug 1 by GaryT

If you want to see a bottomless pit of money, have a look at fusion for energy (F4E) and ITER. I knew a guy who worked for F4E on a 3 month contract and needed accommodation so they put him up in a 7 bedroom house/mansion at a cost of a thousand euros a day. The directors often change as well, especially when their expense accounts becomes public knowledge. One Director spent over a grand downloading films to his phone in a week, just tip of the iceburg stuff but when it comes to wasting money, it's much easier when it's given to you by several countries who aren't expecting a return for 50/100 years.

i looked up ITER.
I didn't understand any of the science, as befitting of this thread!
Things You Don't Understand on 13:24 - Aug 1 with 613 viewsR_from_afar

Things You Don't Understand on 23:26 - Jul 31 by MrSheen

Is it any more than a concept though? Has a similar project ever paid its way anywhere in the world? Not a rhetorical question, I’ve no idea.

Conditioner. I’ve no need for more than a smear of shampoo anyway, but if it’s all such brilliantly engineered stuff these days anyway, why do you need the other stuff too?

It's a different design - a barrage rather than two lagoons - but the French have had a large scale tidal power station since 1966. This government ordered an independent review of the proposed Swansea scheme and in 2017, it ruled that the scheme should go ahead, although Hammond canned it some time afterwards.

The nuclear fusion concept is great in theory but the big problem with it is that it takes a colossal amount of energy to create propitious conditions. The challenge is to get more power out than you put in and to be able to generate said power in a controllable manner.

Things You Don't Understand on 13:24 - Aug 1 with 613 viewsderbyhoop

I wanted to meet a time traveller. I tried to arrange a meeting time but he said it didnt mater.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Things You Don't Understand on 13:39 - Aug 1 with 592 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Things You Don't Understand on 13:24 - Aug 1 by derbyhoop

I wanted to meet a time traveller. I tried to arrange a meeting time but he said it didnt mater.

Existing thread 😉

Corny Joke Warning by Boston 29 Aug 2018 16:56
What vehicle do electricians prefer to drive?

A Volts Wagon.

[Post edited 1 Aug 2020 13:40]

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Things You Don't Understand on 00:45 - Aug 2 with 542 viewsitsbiga

Bitcoin.
Fook is all that about. You pay real money for virtual money?!
Er nah.

Poll: Serious concern we'll double drop?

Things You Don't Understand on 02:52 - Aug 2 with 518 viewsMatch82

Something to do with farmers I think. Maximizing the number of daylight hours. Though now I think of it that doesn't make any sense you could just get up earlier/later
Things You Don't Understand on 04:44 - Aug 2 with 511 viewsozexile

Washing powder that instinctively knows that it's suitable for front or top loading.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024