Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Grant Hall 17:01 - Jul 31 with 8166 viewsNorthernr

Confirmed at Boro.

https://www.mfc.co.uk/news/grant-hall-becomes-neil-warnocks-first-signing-as-bor
Grant Hall on 17:33 - Aug 2 with 1586 viewsSnipper

So in essence, if you’re signing a player on a three year contract, you’re only going to get 30 months out of him in case the poor love breaks a fingernail in the last 6 months.

I’m with the people who say fúck him.
Grant Hall on 18:04 - Aug 2 with 1521 viewsSonofNorfolt

I said about his shattered legs with my tongue in my cheek BUT....

In five years at Rangers he's got more out than he's put in and has become a millionaire.
That thinking of my family line grates with me, you are considering their futures so much until they realise you moved them to Teesside, at least a serious injury would allow you spend more time at home with them.

What was baby shower bollock s thing as well?

F uck him.
Grant Hall on 09:46 - Aug 3 with 1326 viewsfrancisbowles

He's gone, we move on, I hope they will be very happy in .......................Teesside?
Grant Hall on 10:19 - Aug 3 with 1268 viewsWadR

Grant Hall on 10:26 - Aug 2 by danky10

I don't think it's a case of turning him into a villain as such but it is annoying when players like Hall and Jack Robinson spend a large proportion of their contracts out injured then skip out the door for more money when their contracts expire. As fans all we hear about is the constraints of FFP yet some players appear to have milked th club to an extent and it rankles with me. I suppose your right that it is indicative of how things are in football today but it doesn't make it any more palatable.

Should Hall write off his contract once he gets a long term injury? Does he owe it to QPR to sign on reduced terms for a year because he once had a career threatening injury when, clearly, he can get a 3 year deal on good wages elsewhere?

Having an 18 month injury is incredibly taxing mentally and physically. Being incredibly well paid helps with the material things but it doesn't make you infallible to depression. I remember finding this Rory Smith piece interesting on Gundogan's recovery from an ACL injury https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/20/sports/soccer/manchester-city-ilkay-gundogan-

If I remember correctly there was some mismanagement of the injury by the club to start with too wasn't there? A misdiagnosis and an attempt to delay treatment so he could play through to the end of the season.

Find it hard to generate any ill feeling towards Hall or Robinson. In Hall's case he was POTY in his first season, a key player in Ollie's weird sort of malleable 3 at the back formation in his second year, then had a hellish couple of years of injuries before being captain and playing 30 games this season. He wasn't from the Lynch school of picking up niggling 'injuries' and suspensions for silly dangerous tackles to avoid Christmas and end of season games - it was one big horrific injury. And he does seem to have real affection for the club.
Grant Hall on 12:38 - Aug 3 with 1177 viewsdaveB

Grant Hall on 16:08 - Aug 2 by PunteR

Wasn't he captain? I know he wants to top up his already fat bank balance but doesn't sit well with me how he left. We wasn't even safe from relagation was we?
When you had players like Onouha drop their wages to play for us ,Hall comes across as just another mercenary. Considering all the rehabilitation at our club as well. Id like to see a bit more loyalty. But hey ho. Football init. He's in the Robinson camp for me. I'm not in the hope he breaks his legs camp but I hope Manning punts the ball into his Bollox.

As it turned out we were already safe but what we don't know is if he refused to play the games in June or if he just said he would leave when his contract ran out.

Personally think it's ridiculous to call him a mercenary. He came to us on a free from Spurs, had some bad injuries and a real issue with his mental health but came through it having a good season. Wasn't his misses pregnant leaving him genuine concerns about playing or not with the chance to taking the virus home to a pregnant wife. I'd give him the benefit of the doubt on this one, all that talk from fans about if players don't want to play they shouldn't be forced to then when one says no thanks you get people wanting his legs broken

i can see where Hall was coming from and although I'd rather he stayed I hope he does well at his new club and think he always tried his best for us in the few years he was here. Hall going allowed Masterson and kakay to get a few more games under their belt as well. I'm a bit confused at why so many are angry at him although equally not sure what Robinson did wrong either, another we didn't play for 2 of his 3 years with us then we get the hump with him that he didn't want to stay when another club offered him more money, he's managed to move onto to a Premier League side now so move was a good one for him.

The comical thing is most people angry about this would have wanted him released anyway
[Post edited 3 Aug 2020 12:41]
Grant Hall on 12:52 - Aug 3 with 1151 viewsrsonist

Grant Hall on 12:38 - Aug 3 by daveB

As it turned out we were already safe but what we don't know is if he refused to play the games in June or if he just said he would leave when his contract ran out.

Personally think it's ridiculous to call him a mercenary. He came to us on a free from Spurs, had some bad injuries and a real issue with his mental health but came through it having a good season. Wasn't his misses pregnant leaving him genuine concerns about playing or not with the chance to taking the virus home to a pregnant wife. I'd give him the benefit of the doubt on this one, all that talk from fans about if players don't want to play they shouldn't be forced to then when one says no thanks you get people wanting his legs broken

i can see where Hall was coming from and although I'd rather he stayed I hope he does well at his new club and think he always tried his best for us in the few years he was here. Hall going allowed Masterson and kakay to get a few more games under their belt as well. I'm a bit confused at why so many are angry at him although equally not sure what Robinson did wrong either, another we didn't play for 2 of his 3 years with us then we get the hump with him that he didn't want to stay when another club offered him more money, he's managed to move onto to a Premier League side now so move was a good one for him.

The comical thing is most people angry about this would have wanted him released anyway

Injury prone, facing the last proper contract of his career, we weren't in relegation strife and had kids to play (and benefited from doing so). Plus look what happened to Rangel. Hall isn't exactly Lyle Taylor.
Grant Hall on 13:02 - Aug 3 with 1129 viewsYorkRanger

I have no issue with what Hall did. If you view it like any other job with a limited life span, he enjoyed the benefits his contract provided him with (full sick pay etc) and then when the new contract offered didn't live up to his expectations he exercised his option to exit it and find a better contract elsewhere. Good luck to him.

Sadly it just confirms that there are very few players with the level of loyalty to match the fans...
Grant Hall on 13:19 - Aug 3 with 1106 viewsPunteR

Grant Hall on 12:38 - Aug 3 by daveB

Yeh maybe a bit strong to call him a mercenary but I'm completely drained of football and it's players just rinsing our club for all they can then moving on at the first chance they get.
Our club has spent more time on its knees than John Terrys mum. Like I said I'm not calling for his legs broken at all but a fully pumped up Mitre ball to his gonads down Teeside would make a sad middle-aged football fan like me chuckle.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Login to get fewer ads

Grant Hall on 13:30 - Aug 3 with 1061 viewskensalriser

Can’t really get my head around the notion of treating players as though they’re fans. ‘Loyalty’ is an irrelevant concept; they’re professionals looking for the best contract they can get, like anyone would, like we all would I imagine. All I ask of a player is that they keep as fit as they can and put in their best effort when selected.

Players like Gallen or le Tissier are very rare exceptions.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Grant Hall on 13:44 - Aug 3 with 1034 viewsPunteR

Grant Hall on 13:30 - Aug 3 by kensalriser

Can’t really get my head around the notion of treating players as though they’re fans. ‘Loyalty’ is an irrelevant concept; they’re professionals looking for the best contract they can get, like anyone would, like we all would I imagine. All I ask of a player is that they keep as fit as they can and put in their best effort when selected.

If a company treated me as QPR have treated Hall , full pay while off sick for a big percentage of the time I would show some loyalty back. Football has it's own code of conduct.

Grant Hall on 14:06 - Aug 3 with 1005 viewsrsonist

Hats off if you picked two of the most "comfort zone" players ever here on purpose.
Grant Hall on 14:40 - Aug 3 with 971 viewsdaveB

Even with Gallen and Le Tissier if they got offered a big money move they'd have both gone.
Gallen did leave us twice as well although probably more due to managers at the time rather than him wanting to go
Grant Hall on 15:08 - Aug 3 with 936 viewskensalriser

Grant Hall on 13:44 - Aug 3 by PunteR

If a company treated me as QPR have treated Hall , full pay while off sick for a big percentage of the time I would show some loyalty back. Football has it's own code of conduct.

And I salute you for that but really? Even if the difference was 5k a week for 3 years and you didn’t have any special affinity for the club? No player does that and it just seems a bit pointless getting pissed off with something that’s totally routine.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Grant Hall on 15:31 - Aug 3 with 914 viewsAntti_Heinola

Grant Hall on 13:19 - Aug 3 by PunteR

Yeh maybe a bit strong to call him a mercenary but I'm completely drained of football and it's players just rinsing our club for all they can then moving on at the first chance they get.
Our club has spent more time on its knees than John Terrys mum. Like I said I'm not calling for his legs broken at all but a fully pumped up Mitre ball to his gonads down Teeside would make a sad middle-aged football fan like me chuckle.

Sometimes wonder what players *are* allowed to do.

Good player: Honour your contract! How dare you ask for a move!
Good player: How dare you honour your contract then leave on a free thus denying us money!
Bad player: How dare you sit in the reserves and not tear up your contract and leave. We should be allowed to fire you!
Mediocre player: How dare you not stay with us and decide to move somewhere else where you're paid more!

The window of what you can and can't do is almost ludicrously narrow. Chery comes in, is great, has a difficult few weeks in an under-performing team and STILL gets pelters for leaving for more than we paid because he left to earn more to play in what we class as an inferior league, even though we all hate the whole 'the PL is the best in the world b0ll0cks bandwagon.'

Only Lee Cook worked it out: Leave at a profit, hand back your share of the money, get injured, ruin your career and make sure your local rivals get nothing out of you.

Bit difficult for everyone to do that, though.

FFS.

Bare bones.

Grant Hall on 15:52 - Aug 3 with 880 viewsPunteR

Yeh all that's fine and dandy but all of you moan about players wages and how it crippling football. Everyone does. Fine, Hall goes off to get big bucks again rather than take a pay cut (I'm assuming) and carry on trying to keep the club in this division. Considering we were short at the back and leaking goals left, right and center. It's just my opinion of course and that's the way football goes. Doesn't mean I have to like it.

Grant Hall on 16:05 - Aug 3 with 850 viewsAntti_Heinola

Grant Hall on 15:52 - Aug 3 by PunteR

Yeh all that's fine and dandy but all of you moan about players wages and how it crippling football. Everyone does. Fine, Hall goes off to get big bucks again rather than take a pay cut (I'm assuming) and carry on trying to keep the club in this division. Considering we were short at the back and leaking goals left, right and center. It's just my opinion of course and that's the way football goes. Doesn't mean I have to like it.

You'd maybe have a case if he was offered more or maybe the same. But criticising someone for refusing a paycut (when he can get more elsewhere), while making out the club did him some kind of favour by paying him through injury, doesn't make much sense, however much you hate modern football (and by the way, players have been moving for money for decades, not just since 1992).

Bare bones.

Grant Hall on 16:16 - Aug 3 with 831 viewsdaveB

Grant Hall on 15:52 - Aug 3 by PunteR

I think it didn't look great for Hall to go when he did and I can see where you are coming from, I much preferred Rangel's attitude in that I'll play on and finish the season but you only have to see whats happened to those two since, Hall has a nice new contract at Middlesbrough and Rangel is out for 9 months injured, if Rangers don't offer Rangel anything I think Hall can say he was justified in making the decision he did as he could easily have been out of work with an injury
Grant Hall on 16:50 - Aug 3 with 781 viewsEsox_Lucius

Grant Hall on 16:16 - Aug 3 by daveB

I think it didn't look great for Hall to go when he did and I can see where you are coming from, I much preferred Rangel's attitude in that I'll play on and finish the season but you only have to see whats happened to those two since, Hall has a nice new contract at Middlesbrough and Rangel is out for 9 months injured, if Rangers don't offer Rangel anything I think Hall can say he was justified in making the decision he did as he could easily have been out of work with an injury

Akos Buzsaky.

The grass is always greener.

Grant Hall on 16:59 - Aug 3 with 757 viewsfrancisbowles

Grant Hall on 16:16 - Aug 3 by daveB

I can't see how our club can offer Rangel anything when he is 38 and going to miss next season. I presume there will be insurance cover in place to cover his rehab and hopefully some to cover potential loss of earnings. If we want to offer him something for after he recovers then that would be justifiable.
Grant Hall on 17:06 - Aug 3 with 730 viewsterryb

Grant Hall on 13:44 - Aug 3 by PunteR

As he was under contract to Queens Park Rangers, the club had to pay his salary until the contract was concluded.

That is not "treating the player well". It is an obligation.

Would the club have saved financially by paying him off & saving money on rehabilitation etc? Possibly, but we would have had to sign a replacement earlier & the criticism the club would have received would have been long & loud!
Grant Hall on 17:41 - Aug 3 with 685 viewsSnipper

Grant Hall on 17:06 - Aug 3 by terryb

As he was under contract to Queens Park Rangers, the club had to pay his salary until the contract was concluded.

Would the club have saved financially by paying him off & saving money on rehabilitation etc? Possibly, but we would have had to sign a replacement earlier & the criticism the club would have received would have been long & loud!

‘As he was under contract to Queens Park Rangers, the club had to pay his salary until the contract was concluded.’

Hence why HE SHOULD’VE PLAYED until his contract run out.
Grant Hall on 17:44 - Aug 3 with 681 viewsPunteR

Grant Hall on 17:06 - Aug 3 by terryb

The club payed him handsomely for 5 years, correct me if I'm wrong but we got him on a free from Spurs as he was just sitting in the reserve's. I think Hall would be the first to admit the club treated him well and sorted him pretty much for life financially.
Of course they are obliged to pay him sick pay but seems to me they were very patient and understanding when his mental health deteriorated. I recall discussions on here about his injury and how commited he was getting back playing when he was constantly off to Dubai for, I guess recuperation time.
DaveB makes a good point though comparing Rangel and Hall. Rangel has had a better career and probably a lot more millions in the bank than Hall but I just get the impression Rangels ethics are different.
I'm not losing any sleep over this. Just my opinion on Hall and his departure. He's not a QPR player anymore so I don't care. I don't hate the bloke at all, just non plussed. Hes a long way from legendary status in my eyes. Shame really.

Grant Hall on 17:54 - Aug 3 with 667 viewsPunteR

Grant Hall on 15:08 - Aug 3 by kensalriser

And I salute you for that but really? Even if the difference was 5k a week for 3 years and you didn’t have any special affinity for the club? No player does that and it just seems a bit pointless getting pissed off with something that’s totally routine.

Mate, i have on loads of occasions taken on jobs for less money then other jobs simply for the fact they've given me loads of work before and i like to be seen as reliable over anything else. Might be why I still live in rented accommodation and drive a 16 year white Transit van..lol

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024