Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
12 point penalty for Sheffield Wednesday 19:10 - Jul 31 with 14961 viewsQPR_John

Nm
12 point penalty for Sheffield Wednesday on 11:22 - Aug 1 with 3089 viewsdistortR

12 point penalty for Sheffield Wednesday on 11:15 - Aug 1 by daveB

Really the whole league is a shit show, rather than rushing the start of next season they should be spending the summer sorting their house out. Regionalise Leagues one and two, salary caps in place and rather than a new owners test make any new owner put a million pounds as a kind of deposit and they only get it back if they leave the club in a healthy place rather than let them walk away with the place on fire.

and no play-off final this year due to the implementation of said changes.
12 point penalty for Sheffield Wednesday on 11:29 - Aug 1 with 3062 viewsbollockchops

When Birmingham had there points deducted was that the same season or the next ?
12 point penalty for Sheffield Wednesday on 11:48 - Aug 1 with 3011 viewstoboboly

12 point penalty for Sheffield Wednesday on 11:29 - Aug 1 by bollockchops

When Birmingham had there points deducted was that the same season or the next ?

Same season. They weren't relegated so it didnt affect anyone.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

12 point penalty for Sheffield Wednesday on 11:54 - Aug 1 with 2989 viewsClive_Anderson

Really the whole league is a shit show, rather than rushing the start of next season they should be spending the summer sorting their house out. Regionalise Leagues one and two, salary caps in place and rather than a new owners test make any new owner put a million pounds as a kind of deposit and they only get it back if they leave the club in a healthy place rather than let them walk away with the place on fire.

I think regionalisation is not a good idea. We've got probably the most successful lower leagues in the world, partly due to the fact it is a national competition.

England is a small country as well, so it's not like Brazil with large travel costs, they are barely a rounding error here.

The problem is dodgy owners are able to buy any club, player wages are too high and the gap between the Premier League and the rest in terms of income is too large.

Regionalisation won't solve any of the problems that actually cause clubs to get into trouble.
12 point penalty for Sheffield Wednesday on 12:03 - Aug 1 with 2961 viewsfrancisbowles

I agree with all of that. I can understand the other leagues re the Euros (which I think should be cancelled anyway). The Euros, if they do go ahead, are not going to be adversely affected by the Championship finishing late. Similarly, there aren't too many players in the Championship who would be going to play for their country and the clubs could cope without them. There may be more that would have gone to the African Cup of Nations which has been put back.

Delay the start, if possible until crowds can get in (I know that is looking doubtful). Get the structure sorted and apply this penalty now. Relegate an extra club and promote Northampton in their place.
12 point penalty for Sheffield Wednesday on 12:03 - Aug 1 with 2956 viewsstevec

12 point penalty for Sheffield Wednesday on 08:35 - Aug 1 by paulparker

Does us a favour
With them docked 12 , Coventry, Wycombe , Rotherham in the league it’s gives us a chance to stay up while cutting our cloth again

That’s my worry too.

On the other hand, if they keep handing out minus points and a variety of clubs drop into administration we could find ourselves in the play off spots before a balls even been kicked.
12 point penalty for Sheffield Wednesday on 12:12 - Aug 1 with 2926 viewsClive_Anderson

It should be standard that all points deductions are for the start of the next season. Then you avoid all the timing issues completely.
12 point penalty for Sheffield Wednesday on 12:56 - Aug 1 with 2809 viewstimcocking

It's like watching the Benny Hill show.
Login to get fewer ads

12 point penalty for Sheffield Wednesday on 14:03 - Aug 1 with 2697 viewsMiss_Terraces

You just know as soon as we kick off the new season, Wednesday will appeal their 12 points penalty. They can't do it now because of the relegation threat but as soon as that is passed. Here we go again. This sh!tstorm just keeps going

Poll: Why are you a QPR supporter?

12 point penalty for Sheffield Wednesday on 14:46 - Aug 1 with 2635 viewsfrancisbowles

12 point penalty for Sheffield Wednesday on 14:03 - Aug 1 by Miss_Terraces

You just know as soon as we kick off the new season, Wednesday will appeal their 12 points penalty. They can't do it now because of the relegation threat but as soon as that is passed. Here we go again. This sh!tstorm just keeps going

There would be time limits on submitting an appeal in most 'normal' situations.
12 point penalty for Sheffield Wednesday on 15:33 - Aug 1 with 2564 viewsAntti_Heinola

I don't think regionalising would help anything.
The rest is a lovely idea dave, but not sure how on earth you'd quantify it when they left.
Maybe if you buy a club, in addition you have to donate a fee to grasroots football, on a sliding scale. £10m if you buy a prem club, £1m for a Championship, £250k for league one etc.

Bare bones.

12 point penalty for Sheffield Wednesday on 02:54 - Aug 2 with 2270 viewsMatch82

12 point penalty for Sheffield Wednesday on 15:33 - Aug 1 by Antti_Heinola

The rest is a lovely idea dave, but not sure how on earth you'd quantify it when they left.
Maybe if you buy a club, in addition you have to donate a fee to grasroots football, on a sliding scale. £10m if you buy a prem club, £1m for a Championship, £250k for league one etc.

In reality that just means the asking price for anyone buying the club goes up by that amount though
12 point penalty for Sheffield Wednesday on 10:21 - Aug 2 with 2103 viewsfrancisbowles

12 point penalty for Sheffield Wednesday on 02:54 - Aug 2 by Match82

In reality that just means the asking price for anyone buying the club goes up by that amount though

.....or the offer goes down by that much! Supply and demand. Sellers or buyers market.
12 point penalty for Sheffield Wednesday on 19:12 - Aug 2 with 1885 viewsCLAREMAN1995

12 point penalty for Sheffield Wednesday on 12:12 - Aug 1 by Clive_Anderson

It should be standard that all points deductions are for the start of the next season. Then you avoid all the timing issues completely.

I think this post might make a lot of sense Clive Anderson .It gives the club involved a chance to fight out of it on the field whether they are guilty as sin or just imploded like Wigan .I know it all means the same thing but having it hang over their heads in the second part of the season is not fair to players or fans IMO.
12 point penalty for Sheffield Wednesday on 19:15 - Aug 2 with 1873 viewsBrianMcCarthy

12 point penalty for Sheffield Wednesday on 19:12 - Aug 2 by CLAREMAN1995

I think this post might make a lot of sense Clive Anderson .It gives the club involved a chance to fight out of it on the field whether they are guilty as sin or just imploded like Wigan .I know it all means the same thing but having it hang over their heads in the second part of the season is not fair to players or fans IMO.

Sorry to disagree Bannerman but I do. The penalty should be in the same season as the foul. If it's hanging over a club's head it's only because they haven't run themselves properly. While i don;t agree with FFP in its current guise I don;t think you can have a situation where clubs can take a chance on cheating now and paying later.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

12 point penalty for Sheffield Wednesday on 09:36 - Aug 3 with 1659 viewsfrancisbowles

12 point penalty for Sheffield Wednesday on 19:15 - Aug 2 by BrianMcCarthy

Sorry to disagree Bannerman but I do. The penalty should be in the same season as the foul. If it's hanging over a club's head it's only because they haven't run themselves properly. While i don;t agree with FFP in its current guise I don;t think you can have a situation where clubs can take a chance on cheating now and paying later.

It should be Brian and I thought that the League were monitoring clubs on an ongoing basis to try and prevent them breaking FFP. Not going very well though!

Until they can get a grip on this FFP penalties will always be after the accounts are published, which is usually near the end of the following season.
12 point penalty for Sheffield Wednesday on 09:50 - Aug 3 with 1639 viewsStanFan

I can't see a good solution to the timing thing. The best I can come up with is that the league standardises the financial year (if they haven't already) to run from 1st July to 30th June. Full FFP accounts for that period must be submitted by August 31st. That leaves the rest of the season to sort out compliance and sanctions. Surely 8+ months is enough to deal with any issues arising. On the other hand we are talking about the EFL here.
12 point penalty for Sheffield Wednesday on 10:50 - Aug 3 with 1550 viewsQPR_John

12 point penalty for Sheffield Wednesday on 09:50 - Aug 3 by StanFan

I can't see a good solution to the timing thing. The best I can come up with is that the league standardises the financial year (if they haven't already) to run from 1st July to 30th June. Full FFP accounts for that period must be submitted by August 31st. That leaves the rest of the season to sort out compliance and sanctions. Surely 8+ months is enough to deal with any issues arising. On the other hand we are talking about the EFL here.

Again a cynical person might think its structured this way to give wriggle room in dealing with the timing of the punishments.
12 point penalty for Sheffield Wednesday on 11:16 - Aug 3 with 1519 viewsdaveB

12 point penalty for Sheffield Wednesday on 15:33 - Aug 1 by Antti_Heinola

just throwing ideas out really, I think they should be making major changes to ensure clubs can survive. the current model is not sustainable.
12 point penalty for Sheffield Wednesday on 12:45 - Aug 3 with 1395 viewsthemodfather

the EFL investigated owls THIS season and ended hat his season any fine or points deduction must come THIS season!
fair play has created more monsters than was intended, maybe because rushed in and not fully thought out?
have the EFL brought the e into disrepute? cos they is gonna be some big court cases one guesses from wigan, Charlton and maybe Barnsley!
what a carry on.
12 point penalty for Sheffield Wednesday on 13:05 - Aug 3 with 1378 viewsYorkRanger

Agree Brian. If the show was on the other foot and we were in Charlton's position I know what the reaction would be
12 point penalty for Sheffield Wednesday on 16:15 - Aug 3 with 1316 viewsheadhoops

absolutely shocking that the deduction was not applied this season.
The EFL has 11 Directors including Stephen Anthony Pearce so don't go expecting Derby to get hit very hard.
Neither the EFL or FFP is fit for purpose IMO, and don't go expecting that to change anytime soon.

Poll: Remy - can he play in the playoffs - who's opening post is the best?

12 point penalty for Sheffield Wednesday on 16:31 - Aug 3 with 1292 viewsClive_Anderson

The problem is that a 12 point penalty at the end of a season is either instant relegation (Wigan), miss out on promotion/play offs or no penalty at all (Birmingham).

The punishment at the start of the season is the same for everyone, a difficult season ahead started on -12 points.
12 point penalty for Sheffield Wednesday on 16:33 - Aug 3 with 1283 viewsToast_R

12 point penalty for Sheffield Wednesday on 11:16 - Aug 3 by daveB

just throwing ideas out really, I think they should be making major changes to ensure clubs can survive. the current model is not sustainable.

Its a brilliant idea, when we're allowed back in, it would the fans journeys cheaper and better for the environment. If only a temporary measure until life goes back to normal completely. There should be a holding deposit of 5million on all club purchases, I get that means there's less offers but so be it, only responsible owners need apply. I'd also make Premier League clubs pay a stamp duty on all transfers where the money is filtered down to the rest of the Football league.

Time to get this house in order and in the real world.
[Post edited 3 Aug 2020 16:35]
12 point penalty for Sheffield Wednesday on 03:26 - Aug 5 with 1068 viewsBenny_the_Ball

I can see the logic in both arguments. On the one hand, applying the points deduction in the same season may not have the desired impact (as was the case with Birmingham in 2019). On the other hand, applying the points deduction the following season potentially relegates another club that played by the rules (as is the case with Charlton this season).

I'm marginally in favour of applying penalties in the same season as I think it would act as a better deterrent and restrict the potential for appeals being drawn out. However whichever you cut it, it should be the same across the board. The manner in which sanctions were applied differently to Wigan and Sheffield Wednesday leaves a very sour taste in the mouth.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024