Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
John Hume RIP 02:47 - Aug 4 with 1301 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Nobel Peace Prize winner and a leading light in the Peace Process.

Let's leave the politics out of this one and tip the cap to a genuine pacifist and humanitarian.

Sleep well, Mr. Hume.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

John Hume RIP on 08:46 - Aug 4 with 1217 viewsNoelmc

His efforts made a huge difference to the lives of millions of people.

A great thinker, negotiator, risk-taker and man of conviction. His legacy lives on.

RIP John Hume.
John Hume RIP on 09:41 - Aug 4 with 1179 views18StoneOfHoop

John Hume RIP @ 83 years old today 3rd August 2020 A Great Man of Derry and Ireland ~ He wanted and strove for a united Ireland by way of the ballot box not the armalite or the bomb. A cooperative promoting community champion,I salute you Big John. 🍀📗🟢🟩 https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-44753271

The former SDLP leader helped create the climate that brought an end to the Troubles in Northern Ireland. BLESSED ARE THE PEACEMAKERS!

[Post edited 4 Aug 2020 9:42]

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

John Hume RIP on 09:47 - Aug 4 with 1162 viewsrobith

His peace work would be enough for any lifetime, but he helped found the Derry credit union with his own money and used to go knocking door to door to get people of Bogside to sign up. Was something seven of them started it with 4 pounds, and now there's 14k members and £21m. He drove something that properly transformed people's every day lives
John Hume RIP on 09:53 - Aug 4 with 1145 viewsMrSheen

Two Nobel laureates from one school- him and Seamus Heaney.
John Hume RIP on 10:01 - Aug 4 with 1124 viewsterryb

RIP Mr. Hume.
John Hume RIP on 10:24 - Aug 4 with 1094 viewsderbyhoop

A man of peace. Maybe not appreciated in GB but recognised around the world. RIP

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

John Hume RIP on 12:15 - Aug 4 with 1042 viewsMoonshineSteve

Had the good fortune to bump into him at Belfast Airport a few years ago. Privilege just to have said hello.

I am still Steve but no longer in Dagenham.

John Hume RIP on 13:01 - Aug 4 with 1020 viewsPaddyhoops

well said Brian 👏.
Irelands greatest human being bar none.
Risked his life on many occasions for his
Relentless pursuit of peace and justice.
A political titan in every sense of the word.
Its always been a fragile peace in Northern Ireland but thanks to the sacrifices he and others including David trimble made is a lasting one.
RIP, John Hume.
Login to get fewer ads

John Hume RIP on 15:35 - Aug 4 with 957 viewsBklynRanger

Was always a voice of moderation in any debate, which was certainly much needed at the time.

I'm sure I do remember him getting riled up by Paisley during one TV appearance though - called him an 'ignorant gulpin' as I remember, which he seemed to be ok with - had probably been coming :)

RIP John and thank you.
John Hume RIP on 15:38 - Aug 4 with 953 viewsrobith

John Hume RIP on 15:35 - Aug 4 by BklynRanger

Was always a voice of moderation in any debate, which was certainly much needed at the time.

I'm sure I do remember him getting riled up by Paisley during one TV appearance though - called him an 'ignorant gulpin' as I remember, which he seemed to be ok with - had probably been coming :)

RIP John and thank you.

Perhaps his most famous quote

"If the word ‘No’ was removed from the English language, Ian Paisley would be speechless."
John Hume RIP on 15:39 - Aug 4 with 953 viewsBostonR

A titan of peace. Literally seen the good and bad in his lifetime of service to Derry.
John Hume RIP on 15:43 - Aug 4 with 951 viewsMonahoop

Shame there weren't more of the likes of John Hume around. A sensible visionary and a man of rare, good reason in these parts. RIP Mr Hume.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

John Hume RIP on 15:49 - Aug 4 with 943 viewsdanehoop

A good man, amongst so many who were not.
RIP

Never knowingly understood

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024