Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Amos 09:22 - Aug 7 with 14439 viewsNorthernr

The Athletic's Spurs guy says he's definitely leaving permanently this summer and it's between us and.... Neil Warnock's Boro.
Amos on 16:19 - Aug 8 with 4341 viewsterryb

Amos on 13:53 - Aug 8 by LazyFan

I can see why Colin liked him, Hulse was decent for everyone ... errr except after we got a hold of him. And then he was pony.

He wasn't that decent for Warnock at Sheffield United.

Eight goals in fifty games.
Amos on 19:26 - Aug 8 with 4118 viewsBklynRanger

Amos on 13:51 - Aug 8 by LazyFan

This, but I doubt Warbs can make him something. He would I expect only improve a little and not enough. He's no Faurlin or anywhere near Mass. He's not as bad but he is closer Jordon Cousins.

You're comparing him to probably our best midfielder since the Wilkins era, Mass who had played a good hundred league games by the time he arrived and more than doubled that with us; and denigrating him in comparison to a player who's got an entirely different style.

Not your usual standard is all I'm saying.
Amos on 03:55 - Aug 9 with 3732 viewstimcocking

Amos on 12:33 - Aug 8 by Lblock

So you’ll welcome back.... even though you don’t think he’s been trying very hard for us?

Like your thinking

Players can have an epiphany, suddenly kick on or start a new season afresh; especially when young so I grant it’s dangerous for me to write him off altogether. However, I’ve seen enough of his zero contributions, weak tackling, backwards and sidewards input and total disinterest to form my opinion. I’d despair at another full season, let alone a three year deal, if he blossoms elsewhere then good for him and that happening is a chance I’d take

I’m foolish so it’s a no from me

If you're asking me if i think we should permanently sign him based on what i've seen this year, i agree with you my friend, he's been poor and hasn't looked interested, it's a no from me too.

My point is more that with all that's happened this year and with his own personal situation being a loanee and stuff, no crowds at matches, is there a chance he's better than we think and hasn't been doing himself justice? Yes, of course there's a chance, there have been a list of mitigating factors this season in particular. Remember how absolutely sh!t Paul Furlong was for quite a while? If the management are keen and they work with the players all the time, i'm always prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt. People can take a lot of time to settle into a football team, especially youngsters. I think loaning a player from a higher division club is often a recipe for disaster as they don't usually want to be with us. Buying a player permanently gives them a much higher incentive and chance of succeeding, they're literally investing in us at that stage.

If we sign him but don't back him, it's just totally counter productive.
[Post edited 9 Aug 2020 4:11]
Amos on 08:33 - Aug 9 with 3572 viewsCiderwithRsie

Amos on 03:55 - Aug 9 by timcocking

If you're asking me if i think we should permanently sign him based on what i've seen this year, i agree with you my friend, he's been poor and hasn't looked interested, it's a no from me too.

My point is more that with all that's happened this year and with his own personal situation being a loanee and stuff, no crowds at matches, is there a chance he's better than we think and hasn't been doing himself justice? Yes, of course there's a chance, there have been a list of mitigating factors this season in particular. Remember how absolutely sh!t Paul Furlong was for quite a while? If the management are keen and they work with the players all the time, i'm always prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt. People can take a lot of time to settle into a football team, especially youngsters. I think loaning a player from a higher division club is often a recipe for disaster as they don't usually want to be with us. Buying a player permanently gives them a much higher incentive and chance of succeeding, they're literally investing in us at that stage.

+1
Amos on 08:38 - Aug 9 with 3556 viewsingeminate

Amos on 08:33 - Aug 9 by CiderwithRsie

+1

If he’d been good for us we w old to be able to sign him. Either he’d have gone back to spurs or another champ club with deeper pockets would have come in for him. Best case we’ve got a really good player on the cheap. Don’t see it, but overall think recent transfer record is pretty decent.

If not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled. PG Wodehouse
Poll: Should Jimmy be sacked?

Amos on 19:44 - Aug 15 with 3185 viewsGloucs_R

Amos on 08:38 - Aug 9 by ingeminate

If he’d been good for us we w old to be able to sign him. Either he’d have gone back to spurs or another champ club with deeper pockets would have come in for him. Best case we’ve got a really good player on the cheap. Don’t see it, but overall think recent transfer record is pretty decent.

Has signed a three-year deal according to Sean Gallagher. Including add-ons the total fee could rise to just above £1m.

Poll: Are we staying up?

Amos on 20:57 - Aug 15 with 2955 viewsstainrods_elbow

I'm not an Amos fan - I question both his application and ability, and can't understand why Warbs worryingly seems to over-rate/praise him. Not a player who's likely to help move us up the table to any appreciable altitude. Poor tackler, safety first passer, goal-shy - unless I'm missing something, what, exactly, do he bring to the party? We could and should be aiming higher.

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Amos on 21:31 - Aug 15 with 2868 viewsHastings_Hoops

Amos on 20:57 - Aug 15 by stainrods_elbow

I'm not an Amos fan - I question both his application and ability, and can't understand why Warbs worryingly seems to over-rate/praise him. Not a player who's likely to help move us up the table to any appreciable altitude. Poor tackler, safety first passer, goal-shy - unless I'm missing something, what, exactly, do he bring to the party? We could and should be aiming higher.

I think you’ve summed it up in your last line - We can’t and shouldn’t be aiming higher just now.

Warnock was keen on him. Give him another season to settle in and perhaps we’ll have a £2m player on our books... that’ll do nicely.
Login to get fewer ads

Amos on 21:50 - Aug 15 with 2773 viewsDavieQPR

I think Amos was still overcoming the mental scars of his ACL injury last season. If we do sign him I think we could see a much better player this year. A bit like the Nakhi Wells in his first season compared to his second with us.
Amos on 22:07 - Aug 15 with 2664 viewsHunterhoop

Amos on 19:44 - Aug 15 by Gloucs_R

Has signed a three-year deal according to Sean Gallagher. Including add-ons the total fee could rise to just above £1m.

That’s not that bad a deal. I didn’t think he was remotely good enough last year, certainly not first team championship centre midfielder level. I didn’t want us to sign him if a fee was involved.

However, if the fee is a few hundred thousand only, rising to £1m based on all sorts of performance/appearance related clauses and or sell on potential, it’s not a bad deal. If he turns out to not improve, the cost was very limited. If he turns out to improve significantly, £1m total is a decent price for a young central midfielder who is a very saleable asset.

Do I think he is that asset now? No. Not at all. But for such a low up front fee, it’s a bit of a shot to nothing.
Amos on 22:10 - Aug 15 with 2646 viewsGloryHunter

I like him. Welcome Luke. Seems like a good tidy player. I think he has suffered from a few (televised) mis-placed passes, a couple of which have led to goals conceded. If an attacking player gifts the ball to the oppo, it doesn't normally get commented on.
Amos on 23:02 - Aug 15 with 2523 viewsDWQPR

If the report is correct then the price is very decent in these times of highly inflated prices. Warbs can get the best out of many a player. Look at what has been achieved with Dom Ball. What would you sell him for now? Amos does have potential. Pottochino thought highly enough of him to include him in the spurs match day squad away at newcastle at the start of the 18-19 season before he blew his knee. That’s good enough for me. And don’t forget we blew just as much on Sean Goss and Amos is far superior.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Amos on 23:07 - Aug 15 with 2494 viewsLblock

Amos on 23:02 - Aug 15 by DWQPR

If the report is correct then the price is very decent in these times of highly inflated prices. Warbs can get the best out of many a player. Look at what has been achieved with Dom Ball. What would you sell him for now? Amos does have potential. Pottochino thought highly enough of him to include him in the spurs match day squad away at newcastle at the start of the 18-19 season before he blew his knee. That’s good enough for me. And don’t forget we blew just as much on Sean Goss and Amos is far superior.

As the Pointer Sisters said....

Could be a wonderful player for us if signed on a permanent but; that old hat of mine is just dying to be eaten
Gutted if whispers are true

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Amos on 23:36 - Aug 15 with 2405 viewsenfieldargh

Amos on 03:55 - Aug 9 by timcocking

Agree with your points on Amos.

In pre-season at Oxford things looked really positive, Stoke away he was tidy and I thought he looked super promising.

His consistency has been up and down; this was his first full professional season in a big boys league whilst recovering from an horrific injury.

I trust MW's judgement and as mentioned, him being ours(if he does sign) may make a huge difference.

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Amos on 00:01 - Aug 16 with 2349 viewsqprd

Amos on 21:31 - Aug 15 by Hastings_Hoops

I think you’ve summed it up in your last line - We can’t and shouldn’t be aiming higher just now.

Warnock was keen on him. Give him another season to settle in and perhaps we’ll have a £2m player on our books... that’ll do nicely.

Come on.... does anyone really believe that Neil warnock wanted to sign Amos?

Warnock does have a reputation of being dodgy when it comes to signing players....but does Amos seem like a warnock player?

Totally lightweight, loses 60/40s let alone 50/50s and I have yet to see him slide tackle even once

At age 70+, does anyone genuinely believe that warnock would have the patience to try to develop an unproven kid?

I suspect either spurs or Amos agent have been trying to play up these rumors to generate a bigger fee..... I obviously hope I’m wrong and that boro does sign him bc I would prefer he goes elsewhere
Amos on 07:55 - Aug 16 with 2062 viewsWatford_Ranger

Amos on 00:01 - Aug 16 by qprd

Come on.... does anyone really believe that Neil warnock wanted to sign Amos?

Warnock does have a reputation of being dodgy when it comes to signing players....but does Amos seem like a warnock player?

Totally lightweight, loses 60/40s let alone 50/50s and I have yet to see him slide tackle even once

At age 70+, does anyone genuinely believe that warnock would have the patience to try to develop an unproven kid?

I suspect either spurs or Amos agent have been trying to play up these rumors to generate a bigger fee..... I obviously hope I’m wrong and that boro does sign him bc I would prefer he goes elsewhere

I’m clinging onto the belief he did as it gives me a crumb of reassurance that he’ll suddenly morph into Roy Keane or at least Steve Palmer.
Amos on 08:03 - Aug 16 with 2032 viewsrsonist

Yep Warnock only bothers with lionhearts like Junior Hoilett.
Amos on 08:10 - Aug 16 with 2012 viewsrsonist

Please to unpack "aiming higher" with list of superior alternatives at feasible costs. Wouldn't want anyone to mistakenly think it was just vacuous tub-thumping.
Amos on 08:14 - Aug 16 with 1998 viewsNoelmc

Amos on 08:03 - Aug 16 by rsonist

Yep Warnock only bothers with lionhearts like Junior Hoilett.

Don’t forget SWP.
Amos on 09:58 - Aug 16 with 1788 viewsterryb

If this happens & I would expect it to as he is said to be training with us, I will be a lot happier with Amos signing than I was a year ago with Cameron signing!
Amos on 12:14 - Aug 16 with 1563 viewsNorthantsHoop

Watched him a lot last season, started shakily, then improved and got an injury so out for a few weeks in October, if I remember. Came back shakily again, then before the Covid break was vastly improving. He came back again shakily in the re-start games, making too many passing errors and missed that sitter against Fulham. I think he is worth taking on, maybe the confidence of getting a permanent deal will stabilise the mistakes and dips in form. If he is bought for a reasonable price, sure Warburton knows how he can develop his ability.
Amos on 12:27 - Aug 16 with 1500 viewsNorthernr

One of my favourite pet topics - young lads playing proper football, and the difference it makes.

Eze now on 130-odd senior appearances, look at the marked improvement from when he was on 50. Bright now on 80 starts and 80 sub apps, same. Chair progressing through 50 games and towards 100 same. Amos is only on 40 senior starts in his career, and has come back from a bad ACL. Could be a great example of finding value in the transfer market.
Amos on 14:43 - Aug 16 with 1258 viewsnix

I wouldn't have wanted him on loan as I think he'd just have learnt how to be effective and consistent in the Championship in time to benefit another team. But as our own player and with all the coaching ability of Warburton, Ramsey, Impey etc I think he could develop into a decent player.

He needs to learn to be more involved in the play, not give up so easily when he loses the ball and improve his decision making at times, all things he can easily improve on, and he'll be a good prospect for us.
Amos on 17:38 - Aug 16 with 1080 viewsQPROslo

I thought Amos was excellent playing the pressing attacking midfield role, won the ball with some very quick great tackles in dangerous positions for the opposition. But this was mostly early season when he played further forward than later on, when for some reason we didnt press much and Amos played further back. He's quick over short distances and better at ball winning in and around the opposition box when they looked unaware of how quick he was, better at this part of the game than anyone else we have. An asset too little used as the season went on.
Amos (n/t) on 17:40 - Aug 16 with 1070 viewsQPROslo

[Post edited 16 Aug 2020 19:38]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024