Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Amos 09:22 - Aug 7 with 14456 viewsNorthernr

The Athletic's Spurs guy says he's definitely leaving permanently this summer and it's between us and.... Neil Warnock's Boro.
Amos on 18:26 - Aug 16 with 2193 viewsstainrods_elbow

Amos on 21:31 - Aug 15 by Hastings_Hoops

I think you’ve summed it up in your last line - We can’t and shouldn’t be aiming higher just now.

Warnock was keen on him. Give him another season to settle in and perhaps we’ll have a £2m player on our books... that’ll do nicely.

What a weird mode of 'argument' - just flat contradiction/inversion of my conclusion (which I at least based on reasons)! Never mind!

Why should we employ any player on the basis that he 'might' flourish on the basis of little or no evidence over an entire previous campaign - are we some kind of footballing charity? If some of Amos' issues are indeed psychological re getting his head right after a bad injury, moreover, that'd be even less of a reason to re-employ him in my book.

I'm already worried about the next 'f*ck the fans' Covid-crusted season that'll be on us before we know it, especially if we lose one or both of BOS and/or Eze either before it or in Jan. A terrible goalkeeper, Keystone Cops defence, mediocre midfield at best, and our one goal-scoringcentre forward likely gone for good.

Anyone have any reasons to be (more) cheerful other than the ghost of Ian Dury?

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Amos on 19:00 - Aug 16 with 2096 viewsMatch82

Amos on 18:26 - Aug 16 by stainrods_elbow

What a weird mode of 'argument' - just flat contradiction/inversion of my conclusion (which I at least based on reasons)! Never mind!

Why should we employ any player on the basis that he 'might' flourish on the basis of little or no evidence over an entire previous campaign - are we some kind of footballing charity? If some of Amos' issues are indeed psychological re getting his head right after a bad injury, moreover, that'd be even less of a reason to re-employ him in my book.

I'm already worried about the next 'f*ck the fans' Covid-crusted season that'll be on us before we know it, especially if we lose one or both of BOS and/or Eze either before it or in Jan. A terrible goalkeeper, Keystone Cops defence, mediocre midfield at best, and our one goal-scoringcentre forward likely gone for good.

I'll bite.

Here's five things we achieved last year, which we hadn't done in the there years prior:
Proved that we could develop and bring through young players
Scored 5th most goals in the league playing attractive attacking football
Had a manager who lasted the whole season
Finished comfortably mid table 9 places outside the relegation zone
Cut budget at the same time as improving the squad

If you can't find positivity there then I don't know what to tell you. We aren't perfect, we need better defenders and a centre forward. Speculation is that we are pursuing both. We will probably lose Eze and or BOS. That will give us more funds to invest than we have had for years.

Next season at least one other team will start with a points deduction and more will likely follow. While the coronavirus shutdown has been bad for everyone, we have done a great job of restructuring the club so that we are operating within or close to our budget and are in a better place to weather this than a) we would have been at any other time in the past 5 years and b) most other clubs in the division.
Amos on 19:01 - Aug 16 with 2090 viewsWatford_Ranger

We’re 12 points clear of Sheffield Wednesday.
Amos on 19:02 - Aug 16 with 2085 viewsNorthernr

Because we can only afford players who might flourish.

Lyle Taylor has had one half decent Championship season in his entire career, and has just got a three year contract at 30k a week aged 30. That's the market we're in, and not because of your mate Hoos, because of the amount of money the club loses each month and the rules of the league in which we're playing.
Amos on 19:47 - Aug 16 with 1958 viewsNewBee

Amos on 19:02 - Aug 16 by Northernr

Because we can only afford players who might flourish.

Lyle Taylor has had one half decent Championship season in his entire career, and has just got a three year contract at 30k a week aged 30. That's the market we're in, and not because of your mate Hoos, because of the amount of money the club loses each month and the rules of the league in which we're playing.

Interesting about Taylor.

That 30k pw for 3 years works out at £4.5m approx.

Let's assume he was on a (high) £10k pw at CAFC. That equates to £1.5m over the next 3 years, assuming he lasted that long at The Valley. (And Charlton last that long!)

Which means Forest are arguably "only" paying £3m for him in transfer fee terms. Of course it's not like that, but even if you treat him as costing £4.5m, what do you get for that these days?

Now you might argue that QPR could afford £4.5m from, say, money received from selling Eze. But even if you discount FFP, the real disincentive to Championship clubs signing him is not whether he's "worth" the money, but what it does for the club's pay policy.

So that even if eg QPR weren't hamstrung by FFP, how would it go down if LT rocked up on his £30k pw, while the rest of the dressing room were averaging £10k pw? (I don't know how much QPR players earn these days, so am open to correction).
Amos on 10:09 - Aug 17 with 1388 viewsTheChef

Amos on 17:38 - Aug 16 by QPROslo

I thought Amos was excellent playing the pressing attacking midfield role, won the ball with some very quick great tackles in dangerous positions for the opposition. But this was mostly early season when he played further forward than later on, when for some reason we didnt press much and Amos played further back. He's quick over short distances and better at ball winning in and around the opposition box when they looked unaware of how quick he was, better at this part of the game than anyone else we have. An asset too little used as the season went on.

I think he would do better further forward too - he doesn't seem to have the presence/physicality to do the defensive midfield job.

I'm not overly thrilled about him signing but let's hope the coaching staff can get the best out of him. And the terms of the deal are sensible too.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Amos on 10:26 - Aug 17 with 1343 viewsdaveB

Amos on 19:00 - Aug 16 by Match82

I'll bite.

Here's five things we achieved last year, which we hadn't done in the there years prior:

If you can't find positivity there then I don't know what to tell you. We aren't perfect, we need better defenders and a centre forward. Speculation is that we are pursuing both. We will probably lose Eze and or BOS. That will give us more funds to invest than we have had for years.

Next season at least one other team will start with a points deduction and more will likely follow. While the coronavirus shutdown has been bad for everyone, we have done a great job of restructuring the club so that we are operating within or close to our budget and are in a better place to weather this than a) we would have been at any other time in the past 5 years and b) most other clubs in the division.

completely agree and just to add to that since relegation in 1996 we've had 18 seasons at this level.

We've only finished higher in the table and with more points than we did last season 7 times. If you take away the 2 promotion seasons the highest we've finished is 9th which is under Stuart Houston in 1997 so I bearing that mind you have to say last season was a success
Amos on 13:59 - Aug 17 with 1144 viewsNewBee

Amos on 19:00 - Aug 16 by Match82

I'll bite.

I genuinely don't mean to take the piss out of what seems to me to be a reasonable and reasoned case for optimism.

But I must admit I had to suppress a giggle when I saw amongst your "Reasons to be Cheerful" the entry:

"Had a manager who lasted the whole season"
Login to get fewer ads

Amos on 14:13 - Aug 17 with 1083 viewsNorthernr

Amos on 13:59 - Aug 17 by NewBee

I genuinely don't mean to take the piss out of what seems to me to be a reasonable and reasoned case for optimism.

But I must admit I had to suppress a giggle when I saw amongst your "Reasons to be Cheerful" the entry:

Don't knock it. If he gets through next season as well we build a statue on Batman Close.
Amos on 15:01 - Aug 17 with 914 viewseastside_r

Done.
Amos on 15:01 - Aug 17 with 914 viewsenfieldargh

Amos officially signed

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Amos on 15:17 - Aug 17 with 834 viewsCiderwithRsie

Well, you are entitled to giggle, that was the state we had got to and just a few weeks back we had a thread here on whether we should stick with a grand old tradition and sack Warburton before the season ended.

It is actually progress that not only have we kept him but most fans seem to have cottoned on to why that matters.
Amos on 15:42 - Aug 17 with 769 viewsBrianMcCarthy

https://www.qpr.co.uk/news/club-news/luke-amos-completes-permanent-qpr-switch/

https://www.qpr.co.uk/videos/interviews/luke-amos-on-permanent-switch-to-qpr/

https://www.qpr.co.uk/news/club-news/profile-amos-the-story-so-far/

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Amos on 19:31 - Aug 17 with 631 viewsEsox_Lucius

Don't laugh, but it wasn't that long ago that the QPR calendar had a different manager for each month. #truefax

The grass is always greener.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024