Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hammersmith Bridge 16:58 - Aug 14 with 8490 viewsPhildo

Apparently the heat did for it and the cast iron has shattered- no one allowed to go near it or under it as at risk of imminent collapse
Hammersmith Bridge on 17:02 - Aug 14 with 4895 viewslondonscottish

What a massive ballache for anyone who lives near it or who needs to cross it.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Hammersmith Bridge on 17:19 - Aug 14 with 4823 viewsJuzzie

Hammersmith Bridge on 17:02 - Aug 14 by londonscottish

What a massive ballache for anyone who lives near it or who needs to cross it.

House prices on the other side will drop until it’s fixed or replaced.
Or maybe they’ll go up with less traffic passing through!

Lovely iconic bridge and although I'm in favour of listed buildings and structures to be protected, sometimes there comes a time when he have to just say goodbye and demolish & rebuild.

[Post edited 14 Aug 2020 17:21]
Hammersmith Bridge on 17:21 - Aug 14 with 4800 viewsstevec

In the time they’ve been fannying about, they could have knocked it down and rebuilt it.

Imagine they’ll be another team of experts staring at the fckin thing for another 18 months.
Hammersmith Bridge on 18:01 - Aug 14 with 4671 viewsBoston

Don’t pay the ferryman ‘til he gets you to the other side.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Hammersmith Bridge on 23:54 - Aug 14 with 4351 viewsLoftgirl

Hammersmith Bridge on 18:01 - Aug 14 by Boston

Don’t pay the ferryman ‘til he gets you to the other side.

Don't even fix a price.
Hammersmith Bridge on 00:09 - Aug 15 with 4329 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I hope they can fix it.

The riverside pub view won't be the same without it.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Hammersmith Bridge on 08:41 - Aug 15 with 4092 viewsstevec

Morandi Bridge, Genoa.

Collapsed 14 Aug 2018
Complete rebuild completed 22 June 2020.

Worked day and night on it apparently, apart from Christmas Day.

Meanwhile, back in the UK, experts still having a ‘good look‘ at Hammersmith Bridge.
Hammersmith Bridge on 09:07 - Aug 15 with 4026 viewsLblock

This country is kin mental

We spend money on crackpot ideas, unnecessary schemes and “donate” money outside of our shores whilst also frittering funds away to mates of whoever is in charge. Yet when it comes to the day to day maintenance and investment in keeping our infrastructure going, looking after heritage and ensuring genuine community places are in top order we navel gaze

Hammersmith Bridge could’ve been “saved” via minimal regular spending across the last few decades.
Now it is causing chaos locally and for miles around as other bridges pick up the slack. Are those other bridges having more maintenance due to increased use? Silly question

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Login to get fewer ads

Hammersmith Bridge on 10:08 - Aug 15 with 3914 viewscolinallcars

I have happy memories of Hammersmith bridge from the days when it was 10.30 closing in the pubs on the south side of the bridge. I could go and see someone like Bonzo Dog in the Jolly Gardeners in Mortlake, nip out and get the 10.34 number nine bus, and having crossed the bridge, leap off the rear platform as the bus took the roundabout and the momentum gained would propel me into the Oxford & Cambridge for the last knockings. Happy Days.
Hammersmith Bridge on 11:33 - Aug 15 with 3821 viewsjohncharles

Anyone remember the last time the bridge was closed ? About 40 years ago (must look it up) serious chaos for weeks.

Strong and stable my arse.

Hammersmith Bridge on 12:03 - Aug 15 with 3755 viewsBoston

I read somewhere that many agencies were responsible for its upkeep.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Hammersmith Bridge on 12:42 - Aug 15 with 3683 viewsdanehoop

Hammersmith Bridge on 12:03 - Aug 15 by Boston

I read somewhere that many agencies were responsible for its upkeep.

Wonder how much could have been done with the 43M of tax payers money that was spaffed on a proposed garden bridge over the Thames could have been used for something like this?

Never knowingly understood

Hammersmith Bridge on 12:50 - Aug 15 with 3655 viewsLazyFan

Hammersmith Bridge on 12:42 - Aug 15 by danehoop

Wonder how much could have been done with the 43M of tax payers money that was spaffed on a proposed garden bridge over the Thames could have been used for something like this?

Agreed.

Demolishing and then rebuilding the Bridge in its original suspension bridge image, but making it also a bascule bridge to add functionality to the river. And creating a wide walkway so passengers and cyclists can get across as well as heavy lorries and coaches, all safely.

Designed to speed up the flow and avoid congestion blockages. I am sure it could be done, instead of messing about with garden bridges.

Good job the Tories are sensible with money and would never suggest such a ludicrous option as building a garden bridge over the Thames when other bridges are falling down.

Thats more what we would expect from loony left-wing councils wasting money on rubbish like this and other such woke snowflake ideas.

zzzzzzzzzz

Hammersmith Bridge on 13:09 - Aug 15 with 3627 viewsHayesender

Years ago I was fishing off one of the rowing boat rafts by hammersmith Bridge, bent down to pick something up and fell straight in the drink.

Got the 266 bus home smelling delightful

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Hammersmith Bridge on 13:16 - Aug 15 with 3612 viewskensalriser

To be fair, fixing Hammersmith Bridge must be a far greater and more difficult task than Crossrail or HS2.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Hammersmith Bridge on 13:36 - Aug 15 with 3573 viewsenzianone

Shame,sorry to hear it.Up until 1956 lived on the WCE,Durban House.The bridge and surrounding area was my adventure playground.
Hammersmith Bridge on 22:24 - Aug 15 with 3341 viewsCiderwithRsie

Hammersmith Bridge on 08:41 - Aug 15 by stevec

Morandi Bridge, Genoa.

Collapsed 14 Aug 2018
Complete rebuild completed 22 June 2020.

Worked day and night on it apparently, apart from Christmas Day.

Meanwhile, back in the UK, experts still having a ‘good look‘ at Hammersmith Bridge.

It's generally reckoned the Morandi bridge fell down due to lousy maintenance and 43 people died.

I reckon the UK comes out of this comparison pretty well actually. At least the experts are looking at it, and closing it when it's dangerous, not telling people it's safe and encouraging them to drive over it until they die.
Hammersmith Bridge on 22:46 - Aug 15 with 3312 viewsThe_Beast1976

It was closed for a while around 20 years ago
Hammersmith Bridge on 18:58 - Sep 3 with 2908 viewsstevec

They’ve just had some melon from Hammersmith Council on BBC London news. Kids now having to cycle along the bank, over the next bridge then all the way back again, just so they can get to school.

Bloke with a beard talking bollocks basically (quelle fckin surprise), can’t release the report to the public for security reasons. Where do they find these people?
Hammersmith Bridge on 20:34 - Sep 3 with 2664 views100percent

Hammersmith Bridge on 17:21 - Aug 14 by stevec

In the time they’ve been fannying about, they could have knocked it down and rebuilt it.

Imagine they’ll be another team of experts staring at the fckin thing for another 18 months.

And charge various millions for consultation.......
Hammersmith Bridge on 20:36 - Sep 3 with 2655 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Hammersmith Bridge on 17:21 - Aug 14 by stevec

You sound like you’ve never requested planning permission before!
Hammersmith Bridge on 22:11 - Sep 3 with 2433 viewsBlackCrowe

You really couldn't make this sh!t up. Major artery into London and shrugging shoulders and buck passing. Don't know who's responsibility this ultimately is but Mayor should be all over it.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Hammersmith Bridge on 22:27 - Sep 3 with 2399 viewsTonto

Hammersmith Bridge on 22:11 - Sep 3 by BlackCrowe

You really couldn't make this sh!t up. Major artery into London and shrugging shoulders and buck passing. Don't know who's responsibility this ultimately is but Mayor should be all over it.

The issue here is money.. so ultimately that is central Government.

Individual boroughs get transpoert funding from TfL. But that is only a couple of million a year. No where near enough to properly fix the bridge.

TfL were told 2 years ago to become self sufficient and they would no longer get central Government funding like very other metropolitan area does. They were only given 6 months notice. That utterly screwed Tfl's business plan.

Then came COVID. TfL had 3 months worth of operating finances in reserve which is pretty good. But that's all gone.

So the ONLY place the money can come from is central Government.

But central Government is playing politics and saying Sadiq has to pay for it becuase they don't want him reelected.

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Hammersmith Bridge on 22:30 - Sep 3 with 2395 viewswombat

Hammersmith Bridge on 22:11 - Sep 3 by BlackCrowe

Even if they did knock it down and replace it and started tomorrow still be. A couple of year till it’s finished and that’s if they actually had a fully working design ready to go , this ain’t gonna be fixed in a long long time

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Hammersmith Bridge on 22:34 - Sep 3 with 2379 viewsted_hendrix

It's a beautiful bridge and must be looked after, amazing to think that we sold London Bridge to the Yanks all them years ago. (selling England by the Pound).

I'm fascinated by old structures and their construction and by our heritage (especially London's)

The Construction Company I retired from has just won an £11 million contract to build a modern extension to London's oldest know brick building 15th century Bromley Hall.
I'd love to have been involved (geek I know).

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024