Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Karl Ready 14:17 - Aug 15 with 3373 viewsHastings_Hoops

He gets a lot of flack - honest question as I was too young to really judge - was he that bad, or in hindsight; is his ‘memory’ blighted by quite stiff comparators at the time (McDonald, Peacock, Yates, Maddix)?
Karl Ready on 14:24 - Aug 15 with 2188 viewsMiss_Terraces

You don't want to go there, basically he was well ahead of his time. He was a powder puff defender before they even existed

Poll: Why are you a QPR supporter?

Karl Ready on 14:25 - Aug 15 with 2178 viewsgazza1

Limited Centre Half
Karl Ready on 14:32 - Aug 15 with 2144 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

He won player of the season in 1998.
Karl Ready on 14:32 - Aug 15 with 2144 viewsbosh67

I think Karl was a better player than people remember. He wasn't the best but he certainly wasn't the worst. Had he been that bad he would have lasted 11 years and 227 performances. These days he would have been a typical squad player. He would have averaged 5.5 in most post match ratings.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Karl Ready on 14:37 - Aug 15 with 2118 viewspaulparker

Sh1t hair
Sh1t player
I still wake up at night sometimes remembering that pass back that let Les & Newcastle snatch a winner in 96 when tricky Trev battered them

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Karl Ready on 14:40 - Aug 15 with 2106 viewslightwaterhoop

Karl 'rock steady' Ready was an underrated footballing centre half.Many QPR fans took a dislike to him because his appearance was not of your typical centre half at the time.Being Welsh probably didnt help either.
Karl Ready on 14:41 - Aug 15 with 2103 viewsgazza1

Welsh international too
Karl Ready on 14:42 - Aug 15 with 2102 viewsMiss_Terraces

Karl Ready on 14:32 - Aug 15 by BazzaInTheLoft

We really are crap at picking our player of the season, aren't we?

Paddy over Adel
Impey 3 seasons on the trot, don't get me wrong he was brilliant for us but he was playing alongside Wilkins, Ferdinand, Sinton/Sinclair, Wilson, Bardsley etc....
Then unready won one

Login to get fewer ads

Karl Ready on 14:48 - Aug 15 with 2087 viewsgazza1

Karl Ready on 14:42 - Aug 15 by Miss_Terraces

We really are crap at picking our player of the season, aren't we?

Paddy over Adel
Impey 3 seasons on the trot, don't get me wrong he was brilliant for us but he was playing alongside Wilkins, Ferdinand, Sinton/Sinclair, Wilson, Bardsley etc....
Then unready won one

It all very well digging out Impey baecause of the players around him but how good would Adel have been without the likes of Derry, Hall, etc doing his grafting.
Karl Ready on 14:52 - Aug 15 with 2063 viewsMiss_Terraces

Karl Ready on 14:48 - Aug 15 by gazza1

It all very well digging out Impey baecause of the players around him but how good would Adel have been without the likes of Derry, Hall, etc doing his grafting.

I'm not digging him out, I said he was brilliant for us but Wilkins and Ferdinand were amazing for us

Karl Ready on 14:54 - Aug 15 with 2049 viewsLblock

Terrible player made far worse when asked to fill in at right back.

Add to that he wasn’t the quickest off the pitch either.
Plenty of stories I could add but would betray a confidence. One thing I will say is when he told me outside a local nightclub that he thought he was “a better player than Macca and a far better defender” I wet myself laughing. The confused look on his face as we walked laughing off was a picture

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Karl Ready on 14:58 - Aug 15 with 2027 viewsBoston

Karl run of the mill Ready. Often in trouble, but that was as much to do with those who were around him than his modest abilities. Too be fair, he grafted, tough lad, not shy to put the boot in.
I heard he’s a builder somewhere to the west of London these days.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Karl Ready on 15:09 - Aug 15 with 1997 viewsgazza1

Karl Ready on 14:54 - Aug 15 by Lblock

Terrible player made far worse when asked to fill in at right back.

Add to that he wasn’t the quickest off the pitch either.
Plenty of stories I could add but would betray a confidence. One thing I will say is when he told me outside a local nightclub that he thought he was “a better player than Macca and a far better defender” I wet myself laughing. The confused look on his face as we walked laughing off was a picture

'Terrible player'......... that represented the club in over 200 plus matches mainly in the 1st Division against the countries top players-rather harsh.
Karl Ready on 15:15 - Aug 15 with 1969 viewsLblock

Karl Ready on 15:09 - Aug 15 by gazza1

'Terrible player'......... that represented the club in over 200 plus matches mainly in the 1st Division against the countries top players-rather harsh.

So as Dean Coney played 48 times for us in the top flight he is also a “top level striker”?

I thought Ready was awful.

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Karl Ready on 15:41 - Aug 15 with 1907 viewsCiderwithRsie

You can make a case for him not being as terrible as all that - he wasn't Zesh Rehman - but he was with us for years and for most of that time (except maybe at the end when the whole club was circling the drain) he was probably our worst defender. We were a top flight club for the first half of his career and a top half one at that and he was well below that standard. People noticed.

The fact that he was a regular as the team declined to the point where the rest were at his level seemed symbolic somehow. At which point we dropped to the 3rd tier and his work was done.
Karl Ready on 15:47 - Aug 15 with 1895 viewsCamberleyR

Karl Ready on 14:32 - Aug 15 by BazzaInTheLoft

Means diddly. It was a pretty low bar. He was up against the likes of Kulcsar and Scully remember, a pretty low point in our history although it would get lower. Our lowest league finish in over 30 years in a season we only stayed up due to the great work of Jamie Pollock. He was absolutely gash.

An example of his usual crap play here from the disastrous 95-96 season. 2-0 up early in the second half against Spurs and absolutely cruising, a typical clumsy penalty box challenge from him hands them a penalty to get them back in it, turns the game and they end up winning 3-2.

Significant that after leaving us on a free he had one season with Motherwell in the SPL and when they released him he never played higher than non league in England. He was another Coco The Clown Roberts who QPR managers had a blind spot over.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Karl Ready on 15:57 - Aug 15 with 1863 viewsgazza1

Karl Ready on 15:15 - Aug 15 by Lblock

So as Dean Coney played 48 times for us in the top flight he is also a “top level striker”?

I thought Ready was awful.

Maybe you do LBLOCK but for him to play all those matches in the 1st division and represent Wales is 'terrible' is well OTT......as I said in my first post I think 'limited' is more accurate but if you think 'terrible' then sobeit.

Dean Coney has nothing to do with the subject and I never mentioned the words you state.....and 'top level striker' is not how I would describe him.
[Post edited 15 Aug 2020 16:00]
Karl Ready on 16:02 - Aug 15 with 1851 viewsLazyFan

He was League One standard asked to play way above his level. That with QPR having had a recent history of quality CB time after time and he looked worse than he was.

Still better than Zesh Rahmen though.

zzzzzzzzzz

Karl Ready on 16:07 - Aug 15 with 1839 viewsgazza1

Karl Ready on 16:02 - Aug 15 by LazyFan

He was League One standard asked to play way above his level. That with QPR having had a recent history of quality CB time after time and he looked worse than he was.

Still better than Zesh Rahmen though.

250 matches......
Karl Ready on 16:19 - Aug 15 with 1819 viewsLazyFan

Karl Ready on 16:07 - Aug 15 by gazza1

250 matches......

Shittu followed Ready and was way better, he played way less but played in the Prem twice and had way more international caps.

I know which one I would prefer.

zzzzzzzzzz

Karl Ready on 16:20 - Aug 15 with 1817 viewsterryb

I knew him as "Karl, the unready",

Better than the other Welsh Karl though.

The mention of Karl Elsey still makes me shudder!
Karl Ready on 16:25 - Aug 15 with 1807 viewsLeedsR

Was never a great player, mostly pretty mediocre. Tricky when compared against the likes of Macca and Maddix, as he would never come close. Probably an early example of our penchant for shoe-horning CBs to try to play RB. Again, he would not measure up against the likes of Bardsley.

I thought he was showing signs of improvement towards the end of his time with us, although that may be because he looked competent next to Steve Morrow. I may have it incorrectly, but I think he got injured just as I felt like he might be getting “good”, and then that was it for him.

He was really good at pointing (!).
Karl Ready on 16:32 - Aug 15 with 1790 viewsGloucs_R

Met him a couple of times, he used to drink in my mates bar in Ealing.

Seen to remember him getting into trouble in Barbados.

Poll: Warburton, What's next?

Karl Ready on 17:04 - Aug 15 with 1728 viewsQPRSteve

Never rated him. but to be fair he had one really good season for us and then reverted back to be a poor player the following season.
Karl Ready on 17:33 - Aug 15 with 1675 viewsEsox_Lucius

Karl Ready on 14:48 - Aug 15 by gazza1

He would have been breathtaking.

The grass is always greener.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024