Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Things you did once, loved, but have never done again 10:18 - Aug 20 with 8351 viewsKonk

As the title suggests:

1) Music festivals: I went to Reading in '92, and despite loving live music and camping, I've never been to another music festival. We borrowed a tent (from the 1950's), which when we unpacked it, seemed to be made from bamboo canes and carrier bags. Whole thing collapsed at about 4am during a storm on the Thursday night and was fu cked for the rest of our stay. Just looked at the line-up to remind myself who played, and can't remember any of it. What I can remember is the lad who was sharing a tent with me, using a multipack of Wotsits for a pillow, and another mate returning to his tent to find that someone had shat on his sleeping bag. Good times. Loads of mates have done countless festivals in the UK and Europe since, but I've never felt the urge. Not sure why - I enjoyed Reading and should love festivals.

2) International football tournament: I took redundancy to do a bit of travelling, started off with a month in Portugal for Euro 2004, and had an amazing time. Loved travelling around a great country, got to watch ten games at some cool grounds, had a top time drinking with friends from home, locals and fans from all over Europe. Spent a month laughing and having a great time. No bother at all, our idiots were easy to avoid, and I was sure I'd get to loads more tournaments. Haven't been to a single international game since.

3) Skydiving. 2004 - I had no interest in doing a sky dive, but I was in NZ and my mate's Dad, who was 70-odd at the time, had just done one, and I sort of felt embarrassed not to. I did a tandem jump, so didn't have to do much other than jump out of a plane, but it was easily one of the best experiences, I've ever had. Absolutely loved it. Couldn't sleep that night because of the adrenalin rush, and was convinced I'd be doing it again at every available opportunity. Haven't been anywhere near a parachute since.

4) Sailing. 2004 - I did a lot of eating and drinking on boats with friends in NZ and Australia, but only had one day of actually helping to operate a sailing boat. Really enjoyed it. Again, I was sure that when I got back to London, I would get my mates into sailing and we'd all spend our weekends pis sing about out at sea. Never happened.

5) Dogging: 3 weeks ago, I found myself in our local cricket club car park watching a middle-aged couple going for it in a Burgundy Nissan Note. The bloke was wearing a fleece jacket. Light drizzle, 10pm, my wife and son asleep at home. I was struggling to work out what was happening and what all the fuss was until an experienced dogger turned-up with a headtorch. Extraordinary. Haven't been back since, though.

What activities/experiences have you had that you thought would become a big part of your life, but haven't?

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Things you did once, loved, but have never done again on 10:30 - Aug 20 with 4753 viewsMrSheen

Skiing (1991) - exciting, hilarious, beautiful scenery...never been back (though my sister-in-law fracturing a few vertebrae a couple of years later might have something to do with it - full recovery fortunately).
Notting Hill Carnival (1983) - went two days running and had a great time, though I was in a crush under the Westway that looked like it might turn nasty. Never been back.
Things you did once, loved, but have never done again on 10:34 - Aug 20 with 4737 viewsloftboy

Passenger on my brothers Motorbike going 120mph from Reading to Swindon on the M4 40 years ago, had an old face helmet and wearing jeans, hung on for dear life knowing one slip and I was dead.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Things you did once, loved, but have never done again on 10:46 - Aug 20 with 4714 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Hong Kong 7s - guest at a mate’s corporate jolly.

Opening drink on the Friday afternoon was a jug of JD & Coke, it descended downhill from there. On the Monday afternoon I took a train to Shanghai. I consider not chundering as one of my greatest personal achievements, worthy of mentioning on a CV.

Felt utterly mullered until about the Wednesday.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Things you did once, loved, but have never done again on 11:12 - Aug 20 with 4669 viewsLongsufferingR

Cricket - was invited to the World Cup Final at Lord's in 1999. Side on view in cracking seats gave a completely different perspective on the game from how it looks on TV. Enthralling but never been to a game before or since.
Things you did once, loved, but have never done again on 11:15 - Aug 20 with 4657 viewsMick_S

Tequila slammers.

Scuba diving with grey tipped reef sharks hanging over razor sharp coral. Only one daddy down there, everything knows its place when they turn up. Great buzz on the boat going back, but once is enough.
[Post edited 20 Aug 2020 11:18]

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Things you did once, loved, but have never done again on 11:23 - Aug 20 with 4616 viewsLongsufferingR

Things you did once, loved, but have never done again on 11:15 - Aug 20 by Mick_S

Tequila slammers.

Scuba diving with grey tipped reef sharks hanging over razor sharp coral. Only one daddy down there, everything knows its place when they turn up. Great buzz on the boat going back, but once is enough.
[Post edited 20 Aug 2020 11:18]

"Scuba diving with grey tipped reef sharks hanging over razor sharp coral."

Congratulations on winning the thread.
Things you did once, loved, but have never done again on 11:41 - Aug 20 with 4598 viewsstowmarketrange

Exercise.Tried it once and it was hard work.Gave it up to become a couch potato.Now only the work to give up.
Things you did once, loved, but have never done again on 12:06 - Aug 20 with 4534 viewsTheChef

Didn't Nirvana play Reading in '92?

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Login to get fewer ads

Things you did once, loved, but have never done again on 12:07 - Aug 20 with 4533 viewsderbyhoop

Things you did once, loved, but have never done again on 11:12 - Aug 20 by LongsufferingR

Cricket - was invited to the World Cup Final at Lord's in 1999. Side on view in cracking seats gave a completely different perspective on the game from how it looks on TV. Enthralling but never been to a game before or since.

Get a group of mates and go to a Test Match. Copious drinking, top sport and loads of fun. Even if you don't like the game.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Things you did once, loved, but have never done again on 12:16 - Aug 20 with 4484 views2Thomas2Bowles

1976 that hot summer.

Waterskiing, lucky that my Dad owned a pub at the time with a large lake, by the end of the summer I could barefoot ski.

But life takes over (work) back to London and never skied again.

About 15 years ago, played a session with the BBC concert orchestra, just a one-off fun day, I'm not that good.
[Post edited 20 Aug 2020 12:31]

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Things you did once, loved, but have never done again on 12:18 - Aug 20 with 4495 viewsrobith

Thousands of people pretend to have been at Reading 92 for Nirvana's most iconic set and you're straight up talking about wotsits. That's when you know you went to a festival.
Things you did once, loved, but have never done again on 12:19 - Aug 20 with 4488 viewsRangersDave

Try swimming with Hammerheads in the Galapagos ;-)
seen it, done it, couldnt get the t-shirt to fit!
[Post edited 20 Aug 2020 12:20]

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Things you did once, loved, but have never done again on 12:21 - Aug 20 with 4473 viewsrobith

Pro wrestling.

Did an afternoon of it for a mate's stag do, and I absolutely loved it, took to it like a duck to water. Rugby certainly helped cos I was ok with bumps.

But one of the guys came into the dressing room afterwards and told me I had a natural aptitude for it and I should take it up. Naturally all the lads ripped to absolute living sh!t out of me for the rest of the weekend so I just associate it with getting rinsed
Things you did once, loved, but have never done again on 12:31 - Aug 20 with 4421 viewsRs_Holy

Foie gras
Things you did once, loved, but have never done again on 12:43 - Aug 20 with 4376 viewsNov77

This Question reminds me of Sid James Playing Vic Flange in this ‘Carry On’ scene:

Vic starts to pour a glass of wine for Evelyn]
Evelyn Blunt : Not for me thank you.
Vic Flange : No? Don't drink?
Evelyn Blunt : No, I tried it once and didn't like it.
[Vic takes out a packet of cigarettes and offers a cigarette to Evelyn]
Vic Flange : Smoke?
Evelyn Blunt : I tried it once and didn't like it.
Vic Flange : Strange.
Evelyn Blunt : Not at all, my daughter is just the same.
Vic Flange : Your *only* child, I presume!

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Things you did once, loved, but have never done again on 12:48 - Aug 20 with 4359 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Things you did once, loved, but have never done again on 12:53 - Aug 20 with 4337 viewsR_from_afar

I lived in Austria for six months as part of my degree course and while I was there, one of my friends suggested going to this spa/swimming pool complex in Villach. It was a great place, with loads of facilities including an indoor pool which connected to an outdoor one (quite unusual at the time) and...a 100 metre long waterslide.

I can't remember whose daft idea it was but the six of us came up with a way of considerably spicing up what was already an exciting waterslide: We linked up in a chain and descended together, with each person holding the next person's feet on their shoulders.

Bear in mind at this point that the flume was not fully sealed, it was open at the top, so you were *not* "sealed in".

Good grief, did our "chain" strategy make it interesting! We fair rocketed down the slide and the last person was being viciously hurled from side to side. The most exciting, or should that be, terrifying position, though, was that of the person at the front. To avoid being buried alive under five other bodies at the end of the slide, that person needed to push back against the person on their shoulders and get themselves clear. All well and good except that the physics (equal and opposite reaction I think) meant that pushing back catapulted the front person forward with brutal force; they came close to flying clean out of the pool.

Terrifically exciting and a real rush but not recommended.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Things you did once, loved, but have never done again on 13:32 - Aug 20 with 4277 viewsR_from_afar

Things you did once, loved, but have never done again on 12:48 - Aug 20 by BazzaInTheLoft

You loved the Heimlich maneuver, Bazza?

Glad to hear that you have only had to experience it once!

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Things you did once, loved, but have never done again on 13:54 - Aug 20 with 4239 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Things you did once, loved, but have never done again on 13:32 - Aug 20 by R_from_afar

You loved the Heimlich maneuver, Bazza?

Glad to hear that you have only had to experience it once!

I only experienced it once because i'm looking for a women with hands like Pat Jennings.
Things you did once, loved, but have never done again on 14:14 - Aug 20 with 4195 viewspaulparker

Things you did once, loved, but have never done again on 12:48 - Aug 20 by BazzaInTheLoft

I expect nothing less from a labour MP

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Things you did once, loved, but have never done again on 14:25 - Aug 20 with 4177 viewsBostonR

1. Super Bowl 28 - played in Atlanta at the Georgia Dome on Jan. 30, 1994 between the Dallas Cowboys 30 and the Buffalo Bills 13. Amazing experience. Actually got my ticket free and could have sold it outside for $10,000. Had an amazing weekend in Atlanta.

2. Met Bon Scott in Hammersmith London in 1979.
Things you did once, loved, but have never done again on 14:35 - Aug 20 with 4158 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Things you did once, loved, but have never done again on 14:14 - Aug 20 by paulparker

I expect nothing less from a labour MP

I’m a washing machine salesman actually.
Things you did once, loved, but have never done again on 14:50 - Aug 20 with 4134 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Scuba Diving - In Bermuda. Hated the claustrophobia, sharks and barracudas. We don't belong down there.

Sorry, back on topic.

White Water Rafting - In New Zealand. Somewhere on the South Island. Loved it. Including an 8m drop. Great buzz.

Notting Hill Carnival - Red Stripe Beer and lots of ganj. Gunshots in the Night. No idea why I never went back.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Things you did once, loved, but have never done again on 14:51 - Aug 20 with 4126 viewsMick_S

Things you did once, loved, but have never done again on 14:35 - Aug 20 by BazzaInTheLoft

I’m a washing machine salesman actually.

Do washing machines live longer with Kalgon?

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Things you did once, loved, but have never done again on 14:55 - Aug 20 with 4124 viewsRanger_Things

Mescaline.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024