Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Squad - opinion 08:26 - Sep 6 with 9634 viewsGloucs_R

Honestly, looks like a bottom half squad again so far. Too many at league one and two standard. But don't think we're far off.

First XI looks ok but injuries and suspensions are really going to hit us..

My choice would be..

Dieng (Lumley)
Kakay / Dickie / Barbet / Wallace
Ball / Carroll (Amos)
BOS / Chair / Manning
Dykes

3 of those are out of contract next season and might not be here by the time the transfer window shuts.

if I were Warburton I would be in the market for an attacking left winger, a striker on loan and a solid left back. Plus a defensive midfield general, as West London sport put it. Thomas and Smyth could cover AMR and AMC.

Not seen anything of Niko, Oteh or Shodipo to convince me that they're good enough at this level.

Bettache looks a great prospect and one for the future but perhaps needs season out on loan, the same with Gubbins.

Poll: Are we staying up?

Squad - opinion on 09:15 - Sep 6 with 4293 viewsdannyblue

Exactly the team id pick.
Squad - opinion on 09:16 - Sep 6 with 4292 viewsderbyhoop

I'm not sure anybody is expecting us to make a serious challenge at the top end.

Because of the late start to the season, the games come thick and fast (Cliche alert!) and it will test the squad depth at every club. AS you say the first 14-15 aren't too bad but I'd hate to be reliant on the likes of Bettache, Alfa, Gubbins to play 15+ games. Nothing against the lads mentioned, just not convinced they are ready for that.

I'd like us to get a younger version of Cameron, a LB who can defend and another striker but I'm not sure we'll get all/any of those.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Squad - opinion on 09:47 - Sep 6 with 4203 viewsQPRSteve

I have a feeling that Thomas will become an important player for us.
Squad - opinion on 09:47 - Sep 6 with 4200 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Well, we're not finished building the squad yet.
Let's see how that goes.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Squad - opinion on 10:01 - Sep 6 with 4150 viewsPhilmyRs

Squad - opinion on 09:47 - Sep 6 by BrianMcCarthy

Well, we're not finished building the squad yet.
Let's see how that goes.

Yep, at least 2 more signings planned next week is what I’ve heard. I’d imagine at least 1 will be a striker. Let’s see once squad is finalised but I think we’ll have most bases covered. Top 10 a realistic aim.
Squad - opinion on 10:17 - Sep 6 with 4109 viewsNorthernr

I think there'll be three more in, and that Thomas' form and fitness is going to be quite key.
Squad - opinion on 10:29 - Sep 6 with 4062 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Squad - opinion on 10:01 - Sep 6 by PhilmyRs

Yep, at least 2 more signings planned next week is what I’ve heard. I’d imagine at least 1 will be a striker. Let’s see once squad is finalised but I think we’ll have most bases covered. Top 10 a realistic aim.

Areas that needed addressing a few weeks ago (some of these will be addressed as we continue to build the squad, I realise):-

GK - Lumley not at fault for the goals yesterday but ideally a move would suit everyone
RB - Kakay shaping up really nicely. He stood off his man slightly for the second goal yesterday but generally did well
CB - I like the look of Dickie. I'm not convinced on Barbet and I think Masterson needs a loan
LB - Biggest area of concern in the team and has been for a year now.
CDM - would still like a bruiser but Carroll played well yesterday after a rusty start and Ball is always solid.
CAM - Amos got in great positions yesterday and also defended well. His passing was way off, though. I still think this should be Chair's position.
AML - Thomas looked really good in his one game so far albeit in the centre but it'll be him or Chair here I reckon
AMR -signs of life yesterday from BOS
ST - Haven't seen much from Dykes yet, so won't comment. We need one more as BOS looked out of place there again yesterday when switched in.

Defensive set-pieces: Not tested yesterday but it looks as if we're still sticking with the zonal marking system. I know the stat-heads say it's better than man-marking at corners, but I just can't see it. Would love to see the justification.

Playing with the high line: Yesterday our passing further forward was way off. I would estimate that 4-5 players got close to double figures in losing possession - Amos, Manning, Chair, BOS, Carroll? and our defence was wide open with either balls in behind the wing-backs or with runs down the middle.

On the first point we either need to pull the wing-backs back a notch or two or else drop the anchor man deeper and spread the centre-backs.

On the second point...that brings us back to the bruiser, and the other players need to get cynical.

Squad - opinion on 10:37 - Sep 6 with 4027 viewsMyke

I think a lot depends on whether Manning and BOS stay or go. But one thing that is not influenced by this is our need for a proven goalscorer on loan. It's brilliant to have our own striker and I hope Dykes does the biz, but even if he doesn't get injured/lose form, we need a regular goalscorer to share the load.
Login to get fewer ads

Squad - opinion on 10:47 - Sep 6 with 3975 viewsDieByYourSide

Looked up info on the transfer window and...

The window for international registrations closes at 11pm on Monday 5 October, with an agreement in place with the Premier League for an extended two-week domestic only window which will close at 5pm on Friday 16 October.

Plenty of time for us to get a few more bodies in and teams to come in for Bright/Manning, then. The squad for the rest of the season could still look very different to what we have as of this moment.

Poll: And it's hi ho

Squad - opinion on 10:57 - Sep 6 with 3947 viewsspencer

Squad - opinion on 10:17 - Sep 6 by Northernr

I think there'll be three more in, and that Thomas' form and fitness is going to be quite key.

I think Carroll was a good signing, If we keep manning and Samuel, keep Thomas fit and make 3 good signings, I think the season will pan out the same as last. Which without Eze is a good thing.
Would like to see Paul Smyth step up - the area that concerns me most, would be goalkeeper.
Squad - opinion on 11:18 - Sep 6 with 3891 viewsdaveB

If we go into the full season with what we currently have then I'd agree we will struggle but if we get the right additions in i think we can have a similar season to last year possibly slightly better
Squad - opinion on 11:46 - Sep 6 with 3815 viewskensalriser

What's the attraction of Dieng?

Serious question as I literally haven't even seen a photo of the man.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Squad - opinion on 12:03 - Sep 6 with 3766 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Squad - opinion on 11:46 - Sep 6 by kensalriser

Well, he's quite swarthy and has a devilish smile.

Squad - opinion on 12:03 - Sep 6 with 3765 viewsQPRSteve

There's not even one on the club's website, which is ridiculous.
Squad - opinion on 12:07 - Sep 6 with 3724 viewsessextaxiboy

Dieng
Masterson Richie Barbet
Ball
Thomas/Kakay Carrol Amos Manning
Chair
Dykes

Assuming Bright goes ...
[Post edited 6 Sep 2020 12:08]
Squad - opinion on 12:09 - Sep 6 with 3717 viewsBklynRanger

I think he's in the pre-Plymouth video for a second Assuming that's the kid who's about 8 feet tall.
Squad - opinion on 12:10 - Sep 6 with 3706 viewsNov77

Squad - opinion on 10:29 - Sep 6 by BrianMcCarthy

Areas that needed addressing a few weeks ago (some of these will be addressed as we continue to build the squad, I realise):-

GK - Lumley not at fault for the goals yesterday but ideally a move would suit everyone
RB - Kakay shaping up really nicely. He stood off his man slightly for the second goal yesterday but generally did well
CB - I like the look of Dickie. I'm not convinced on Barbet and I think Masterson needs a loan
LB - Biggest area of concern in the team and has been for a year now.
CDM - would still like a bruiser but Carroll played well yesterday after a rusty start and Ball is always solid.
CAM - Amos got in great positions yesterday and also defended well. His passing was way off, though. I still think this should be Chair's position.
AML - Thomas looked really good in his one game so far albeit in the centre but it'll be him or Chair here I reckon
AMR -signs of life yesterday from BOS
ST - Haven't seen much from Dykes yet, so won't comment. We need one more as BOS looked out of place there again yesterday when switched in.

Defensive set-pieces: Not tested yesterday but it looks as if we're still sticking with the zonal marking system. I know the stat-heads say it's better than man-marking at corners, but I just can't see it. Would love to see the justification.

Playing with the high line: Yesterday our passing further forward was way off. I would estimate that 4-5 players got close to double figures in losing possession - Amos, Manning, Chair, BOS, Carroll? and our defence was wide open with either balls in behind the wing-backs or with runs down the middle.

On the first point we either need to pull the wing-backs back a notch or two or else drop the anchor man deeper and spread the centre-backs.

On the second point...that brings us back to the bruiser, and the other players need to get cynical.

For their second goal Lumley was beaten at his near post with once again no real effort to make a save, it happens too often with him.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Squad - opinion on 12:18 - Sep 6 with 3680 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Squad - opinion on 12:10 - Sep 6 by Nov77

For their second goal Lumley was beaten at his near post with once again no real effort to make a save, it happens too often with him.

I'm not sure, Nov77. He does dive but it's well hit.

Also, I wouldn't consider that a near-post situation. From that angle you cover as much of the goal as you can and stay central. The near-post is only an issue when shots are hit from tight angles and the goalie's the only player who can mind the near post and relies on his defenders to cover the far post.

We only have one camera angle but I don't think many Rangers keepers down the years would've saved that one.

Squad - opinion on 12:20 - Sep 6 with 3668 viewsDannyPaddox

Squad - opinion on 12:03 - Sep 6 by QPRSteve

There's not even one on the club's website, which is ridiculous.

He’s an international man of mystery

Squad - opinion on 12:21 - Sep 6 with 3661 viewsfrancisbowles

"Yesterday our passing further forward was way off. I would estimate that 4-5 players got close to double figures in losing possession - Amos, Manning, Chair, BOS, Carroll? and our defence was wide open with either balls in behind the wing-backs or with runs down the middle" (I wouldn't include Carroll)

That's the main problem, Brian. That and the final ball when attacking. Crossing was very poor and BOS, although better, seems to have difficulty putting it all together. Also seems to be struggling to get around the outside of his marker on the right.
Squad - opinion on 12:23 - Sep 6 with 3656 viewsThe_Beast1976

Squad - opinion on 09:16 - Sep 6 by derbyhoop

I'm not sure anybody is expecting us to make a serious challenge at the top end.

Because of the late start to the season, the games come thick and fast (Cliche alert!) and it will test the squad depth at every club. AS you say the first 14-15 aren't too bad but I'd hate to be reliant on the likes of Bettache, Alfa, Gubbins to play 15+ games. Nothing against the lads mentioned, just not convinced they are ready for that.

I'd like us to get a younger version of Cameron, a LB who can defend and another striker but I'm not sure we'll get all/any of those.

"I'm not sure anybody is expecting us to make a serious challenge at the top end"

We're going to win the league mate. You'll see. Come on You R's
Squad - opinion on 12:33 - Sep 6 with 3608 viewsdaveB

Squad - opinion on 12:10 - Sep 6 by Nov77

Thought Ball should have done a lot more to stop the shot but when he makes it Lumley needs to do better
Squad - opinion on 12:34 - Sep 6 with 3602 viewsNorthantsHoop

Time to worry is if we get ripped to pieces by Forest next Saturday, like we did in that 4-0 disaster last November. Still think we need another striker alongside Dykes. Scott Hogan would be a reasonable option, if we can fit him into our wage structure.
Yesterday in the first half some good quick moves outside the box, but no one ever unleashes a shot just outside the box. Ironically the time we did unleash a shot first time coming onto something was when Kakay scored. Same when Chair scored against Wimbledon a couple of weeks ago.
Squad - opinion on 13:03 - Sep 6 with 3513 viewsderbyhoop

Hes played 1 first team game for us, a pre season friendly against poor opposition. So, as he's not been playing he must be the answer.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Squad - opinion on 13:36 - Sep 6 with 3447 viewsGloucs_R

Squad - opinion on 10:17 - Sep 6 by Northernr

Which is fine as long as it's not replacing three that are going out..... Ifwe do need to replace two going out then I suspect would need at least for a 4-5 new faces.

Poll: Are we staying up?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024