Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Great Gerry Francis Goal 12:36 - Sep 29 with 2215 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Never seen this one before. Quality strike.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Great Gerry Francis Goal on 12:42 - Sep 29 with 2195 viewsdaveB

Full highlights of that game here

Great Gerry Francis Goal on 13:27 - Sep 29 with 2123 viewsbosh67

Blimey he didn't half welly that! Great technique.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Great Gerry Francis Goal on 13:28 - Sep 29 with 2118 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Great Gerry Francis Goal on 12:42 - Sep 29 by daveB

Brilliant, thanks Dave.

Great Gerry Francis Goal on 14:03 - Sep 29 with 2052 viewsMrSheen

Great Gerry Francis Goal on 12:42 - Sep 29 by daveB

Ha! Nice one, Fulham buggergrips.

Did the guys behind the goal get home safe?
Great Gerry Francis Goal on 14:53 - Sep 29 with 1972 viewsSydneyRs

Those QPR celebrating in the Gallowgate, brave or stupid? Could have been quite an interesting afternoon for them!

Cracking goal, I'd never seen it before either.

That on this day twitter account is great. It had the Francis goal from the first game my dad ever took me to in 1977 recently. Was chuffed to see there is footage of it, including match of the day style highlights now on youtube. A very significant memory for me.
Great Gerry Francis Goal on 15:18 - Sep 29 with 1934 viewsqpr_1968

Great Gerry Francis Goal on 14:03 - Sep 29 by MrSheen

by the applause the geordies gave gerry, i'd say they were alright.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Great Gerry Francis Goal on 16:06 - Sep 29 with 1864 viewsDannyPaddox

Filed under corker in the 73/74 thread ...

7374 Rewind by DannyPaddox 20 Apr 2020 13:02
https://i.ibb.co/Y3MTmzM/F86-BDA53-0-AA4-44-C4-A1-BC-8-BD76-D636-F04.jpg

The Rs second season back in the top flight finishing as top London team for the first time in the club’s history. Was looking good for Europe too but ran out of steam towards the end. Nonetheless a magic season. One I’m particularly fond of as I made my debut - in the Shed. A six-goal ding-dong baptism of fire.

My Grandad was pushing Liverpool on me at the time, and he almost succeeded, but I defy you show any 8 year-old that team in that kit back then and they would end up Rangers for life. The tracksuit (above) was pretty special too.

I’ve trawled YouTube and found approximately a third of the season in various shapes and sizes. Will post below.

https://i.ibb.co/tBVtmXH/132-ACCFD-D8-F0-40-E7-AECA-3-BCA976-E43-C1.jpg

Great Gerry Francis Goal on 21:17 - Sep 29 with 1631 viewsMyke

Fabulous strike. Mind you, he was lucky it was September so the ball sat up nicely for him! He wouldn't have that luxury again until April! From Oct-Jan it would have stuck in the mud and in Feb/March it would have bounced off a semi-solid divot and shot of in another direction entirely. Factor in the weight of the ball forty years ago and it emphasises the quality of the technique. Compare that to VanDyke almost scoring from 100 yards last night, just by putting his toe through the ball.
Login to get fewer ads

Great Gerry Francis Goal on 10:24 - Sep 30 with 1379 viewsAirtomoreira

I was there. I left Liverpool on a bright warm September morning. I thought I'd better take a pullover with me, as I was aware that the weather up there could be a bit different. I was standing in the Gallowgate end. It was absolutely freezing (you can tell it was cold by looking at the hardy Northeners in the crowd - hark at me calling the Geordies "Northeners" when I was living in Liverpool! - most of them dressed in their winter finest. I seem to remember "sort of" celebrating when we scored, especially that effort by Gerry, but it was definitely a case of minding ones p's and q's!

I remember driving home across the A69 towards the M6 at Carlisle, in a rainstorm with a blinding sun straight in front of me, so low on the horizon that the pull down visor thing that's supposed to help (whatever it's called) was of no use at all, but at the same time marvelling at the wonderful double rainbow on either side of me. Quite a day.
Great Gerry Francis Goal on 10:47 - Sep 30 with 1334 viewsextratimeR

Wow, great goal!

That's a new one for me, never seen it before, great player, and as mentioned great technique.
Great Gerry Francis Goal on 22:33 - Sep 30 with 1192 viewsGloryHunter

Great Gerry Francis Goal on 10:24 - Sep 30 by Airtomoreira

I was there. I left Liverpool on a bright warm September morning. I thought I'd better take a pullover with me, as I was aware that the weather up there could be a bit different. I was standing in the Gallowgate end. It was absolutely freezing (you can tell it was cold by looking at the hardy Northeners in the crowd - hark at me calling the Geordies "Northeners" when I was living in Liverpool! - most of them dressed in their winter finest. I seem to remember "sort of" celebrating when we scored, especially that effort by Gerry, but it was definitely a case of minding ones p's and q's!

I remember driving home across the A69 towards the M6 at Carlisle, in a rainstorm with a blinding sun straight in front of me, so low on the horizon that the pull down visor thing that's supposed to help (whatever it's called) was of no use at all, but at the same time marvelling at the wonderful double rainbow on either side of me. Quite a day.

I was there too. I was away at Manchester Uni at the time, but my parents had moved up from London to the North-East for work. We went to a few away games at Newcastle. My Dad and I were stood in a stand at the side, not behind the goal. That was in the days when you could just turn up and pay on the gate - there was no recognised "away" area.

I remember a bit of banter from the Geordie fans around us, but no real threats. We got away in one piece. Happy days.
Great Gerry Francis Goal on 22:43 - Sep 30 with 1179 viewsqpr_1968

Great Gerry Francis Goal on 14:03 - Sep 29 by MrSheen

have a look at this brave lot when we scored at millwall.

Great Gerry Francis Goal on 01:02 - Oct 1 with 1140 viewstimcocking

What an absolute peach; cheers Brian, never seen that before. Love Gerry.
Great Gerry Francis Goal on 13:19 - Oct 1 with 1021 viewsonlyrinmoray

The Millwall game was my last before moving to Scotland Cant remember much about it but remember we won 1-0. It completed my list of seeing Rangers at each London ground
Great Gerry Francis Goal on 12:41 - Oct 2 with 900 viewsGloryHunter

Great Gerry Francis Goal on 22:43 - Sep 30 by qpr_1968

Parkes not wearing gloves. Looks very strange now.
Great Gerry Francis Goal on 12:48 - Oct 2 with 891 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Great Gerry Francis Goal on 22:43 - Sep 30 by qpr_1968

Brilliant shot of Bowles at the end.

"And he's apologising to them".

Ya, as he's signing out "1-0" to the Millwall fans!!

Great Gerry Francis Goal on 12:56 - Oct 2 with 880 viewsMrSheen

Who was Delve, our sub?
Great Gerry Francis Goal on 17:13 - Oct 2 with 809 viewsqpr_1968

Great Gerry Francis Goal on 12:56 - Oct 2 by MrSheen

Who was Delve, our sub?

john delve, couldnt miss that mop of blond hair.

Great Gerry Francis Goal on 22:39 - Oct 2 with 734 viewsManinBlack

I went to this game too. I remember having a Deltic from King's Cross and my dad taking me around Gateshead depot before the game. I think Thomas and Francis scored in the first 5 minutes.

I didn't feel well at half time and spent much of the second half at the back of the stand nipping off to the bogs as I had some sort of stomach bug. I actually missed Leach making it 3-0. Newcastle finished the game like we started it by scoring twice in the last 5 minutes to make the game seem a lot closer than it was. I missed their second goal as we left a couple of minutes from the end.

I felt better on the train back to London as the Rangers team were on board too in the next carriage.

It remains the only game where I missed two goals but isn't the furthest I have travelled to miss a goal. That honour goes to Dundee Utd when I missed the first goal buying the drinks in a 4-0 win over Hibs.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024