Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just taking a moment (positive) 14:17 - Oct 15 with 2314 viewssimmo

The Kelman signing got me thinking, that amongst the absolute monsoon of excrement around football and life in general, that there's so many things QPR are starting to do well...

It's taken a VERY long time but finally we're....

- Producing first team players direct from the development squad
- Buying young players with high potential and sell on value, supplementing their lack of experience with short term deals for older, consumate professionals
- Giving contracts that are appropriate and include options on the clubs side so we have security without the financial commitment
- Offering wages within a defined structure and not compromising that - making sure agents are aware and to take their overpriced shit up to Nottingham
- Making more permanent signings and less loans, so we develop our own talent
- Selling for appropriate transfer fees
- Loaning youngsters at higher levels
- Buying at the early stage of a players development, rather than waiting for another team to pick them up for cheap and sell on to us later for 10x the profit
- Scouting players properly, making offers for those that are coming to the end of their deals or have an undervalued skillset - Dykes looking a brilliant example of the latter
- Including character and personality as part of that scouting, making sure due diligence is done to determine a players work ethic and application to improve
- Recruiting a specific type of player to fit within a defined way of playing
- Emphasising development and cultivating a reputation that QPR is a genuine stepping stone to higher levels - which there's nothing wrong with!
- Making players better! Coaching them to add to their games and develop their deficiencies whilst building on their strengths

NONE of this was happening not 5 years ago. These are the fruits of labour that come from what Les, Chris Ramsey, Hoos, Paul Hall and others have put in. BRAVO - I can't wait to see it all live.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Just taking a moment (positive) on 14:57 - Oct 15 with 2212 viewsEastR

yes, yes get all that

but we still can't defend corners

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

Just taking a moment (positive) on 15:06 - Oct 15 with 2182 viewssoops

Just taking a moment (positive) on 14:57 - Oct 15 by EastR

yes, yes get all that

Great post simmo, and agree with all of that.
Unfortunately it's all quite fragile as far as some fans are concerned - e.g. I've seen more than one person (on here?) comment that Dykes is a concern now as he only scores penalties.
I'm optimistic. But then again that's me - I was still hoping for a come-back when we were 5-0 down at home to Swansea on the first game of the season in 2012
Just taking a moment (positive) on 15:27 - Oct 15 with 2123 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Great post, Simmo. Agree with it all.

Edit - sp. check.
[Post edited 15 Oct 2020 15:28]

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Just taking a moment (positive) on 16:16 - Oct 15 with 2007 viewsPinnerPaul

Was just thinking some of those very same thoughts reading the Joe Gubbins interview.

I know you have watched a lot of the U18s/23s over recent years - are the improvements you mention evident when you see them play now compared to the same age groups of 4/5 years ago?
Just taking a moment (positive) on 17:06 - Oct 15 with 1910 viewssimmo

yes, yes get all that

Maybe that's next?

Spolier: It won't be
[Post edited 15 Oct 2020 17:06]

Just taking a moment (positive) on 17:22 - Oct 15 with 1868 viewsJuzzie

No, no, no, no, no, no....

It's all evil Les and Hoos.

Social media is a place where people go to be unhappy. Can't be having any of this positivity malarkey. Tsk.
Just taking a moment (positive) on 17:30 - Oct 15 with 1835 viewsqueensparker

Just taking a moment (positive) on 15:06 - Oct 15 by soops

Great post simmo, and agree with all of that.
Unfortunately it's all quite fragile as far as some fans are concerned - e.g. I've seen more than one person (on here?) comment that Dykes is a concern now as he only scores penalties.
I'm optimistic. But then again that's me - I was still hoping for a come-back when we were 5-0 down at home to Swansea on the first game of the season in 2012

I'm not sure there's a lot we (or anyone) can do about those fans, particularly the social media lot. The stuff I see on there is completely ridiculous.

You've got a whole new generation of fans now who grew up swallowing Sky's bollox and don't know any better, who think that because it's easy on FIFA it's easy in real life, who have never kicked a football in their life, who have never had to properly work for a living so don't get the value of money, and who think it's funny/acceptable to act like a complete c--t on social media to people with no blowback at all.

They're never going to get it.

CONTINUES SHOUTING ANGRILY AT CLOUD
[Post edited 15 Oct 2020 17:31]
Just taking a moment (positive) on 18:15 - Oct 15 with 1726 viewsBoston

yes, yes get all that

Les is installing an oval pitch.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Login to get fewer ads

Just taking a moment (positive) on 18:49 - Oct 15 with 1664 viewsdanehoop

Was thinking that if we get through tomorrow without losing Bright it will be on paper one of the best transfer windows I can remember. Even if we lose both him and Manning I reckon we will be OK. albeit without 2 very good young players. Even then, if one or both go for a decent price and/or to a Premiership club it will also add to the narrative about us being the club which develops talent. That seems to have been a real pull after Eze moved on.

Never knowingly understood

Just taking a moment (positive) on 19:16 - Oct 15 with 1598 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Just taking a moment (positive) on 18:49 - Oct 15 by danehoop

Was thinking that if we get through tomorrow without losing Bright it will be on paper one of the best transfer windows I can remember. Even if we lose both him and Manning I reckon we will be OK. albeit without 2 very good young players. Even then, if one or both go for a decent price and/or to a Premiership club it will also add to the narrative about us being the club which develops talent. That seems to have been a real pull after Eze moved on.

I agree with the OP completely but I would have to say with regard to your point that you never know how good a transfer window is until months down the line.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Just taking a moment (positive) on 20:00 - Oct 15 with 1490 viewsrsonist

Just taking a moment (positive) on 17:30 - Oct 15 by queensparker

I'm not sure there's a lot we (or anyone) can do about those fans, particularly the social media lot. The stuff I see on there is completely ridiculous.

You've got a whole new generation of fans now who grew up swallowing Sky's bollox and don't know any better, who think that because it's easy on FIFA it's easy in real life, who have never kicked a football in their life, who have never had to properly work for a living so don't get the value of money, and who think it's funny/acceptable to act like a complete c--t on social media to people with no blowback at all.

They're never going to get it.

CONTINUES SHOUTING ANGRILY AT CLOUD
[Post edited 15 Oct 2020 17:31]

I don't agree. There's an inane fickle zoomer hubbub for sure but some of the most poisonous are misanthropic old gits. They're just smart enough not to fall into the psycho outlier spikes of extreme abuse but are far more malign in their consistency ultimately.

You also tend to see the same faces asking the usual ITK sources literally twenty times a day for transfer news like schoolgirls and when you click through to their profile it's small businessman, three kids, love me wife...
Just taking a moment (positive) on 23:23 - Oct 15 with 1292 viewsMyke

Just taking a moment (positive) on 18:49 - Oct 15 by danehoop

Lots of positivity here with is great to see. Must say looking forward to seeing our new fire-power and winning games 10-9. Not wishing to rain on anyone's parade, but if the virus continues to spiral out of control (1205 cases over here, the single biggest number yet) and we head inevitably into a full lockdown as per March/April, would we have been better keeping our powder dry, with regard to the last three signings (all forward players) and using the money spent on fees/wages to keep the club afloat when no games are being played
Just taking a moment (positive) on 09:23 - Oct 16 with 1041 viewsSimplyNico

Agree with all of that.

Also, we are playing an attractive, attacking style of football. There are going to be games when it doesn't work, but that is professional sport.
Just taking a moment (positive) on 09:28 - Oct 16 with 1028 viewsPinnerPaul

Just taking a moment (positive) on 23:23 - Oct 15 by Myke

Lots of positivity here with is great to see. Must say looking forward to seeing our new fire-power and winning games 10-9. Not wishing to rain on anyone's parade, but if the virus continues to spiral out of control (1205 cases over here, the single biggest number yet) and we head inevitably into a full lockdown as per March/April, would we have been better keeping our powder dry, with regard to the last three signings (all forward players) and using the money spent on fees/wages to keep the club afloat when no games are being played

As Lee Hoos has said countless times and some fans (not you btw!) like to ignore, its the owners who have kept the club 'afloat' since day 1, covid has added another £5M to the 'bill' as it were.

One thing I have learnt with this virus is just to take one day at a time, think the club have done the right thing in carrying on as 'normal' - who knows what the situation will be like next week - let alone March/April?
Just taking a moment (positive) on 10:38 - Oct 16 with 919 viewsderbyhoop

Agree with most of the OP but a couple of quibbles (that's me nit-picking).

Bonne - we could have picked up 18 months ago for 1/10 of what we appear to have paid.
Youngsters going on loan - still too many going to National League South or below. It might be their first loan, but it's a long way below Championship level, so not getting carried away.
It worked for Eze and Chair, but not for Oteh.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Just taking a moment (positive) on 10:49 - Oct 16 with 894 viewsfrancisbowles

Just taking a moment (positive) on 10:38 - Oct 16 by derbyhoop

Bonne - we could have picked up 18 months ago for 1/10 of what we appear to have paid.
Youngsters going on loan - still too many going to National League South or below. It might be their first loan, but it's a long way below Championship level, so not getting carried away.

Truth in what you are saying derbyhoop but we have adapted our 'recruitment strategy' and it has a different focus than it had 18 months back. The club continues to progress and things are now starting to come together and see some results.

With the loans, it is difficult but if nobody from a higher level wants to loan them then what can we do? Any paid men's competitive football is probably better than development games or unused sub roles.
Just taking a moment (positive) on 11:18 - Oct 16 with 870 viewssimmo

Just taking a moment (positive) on 10:38 - Oct 16 by derbyhoop

Agree completely RE Bonne and said as much at the time, that's why the Kelman signing was such a positive - being the first club to take the plunge on these prospects is important, rather than Adomah who we end up getting 10 years too late!

Also you're right with the loans, still too many going non-league, but Smyth, Oteh, Eze, Chair, Lumley, Dieng, Manning, etc have all been loaned above that in recent years. It's not always going to work but getting players to a level where L1/L2 clubs will consider them is a massive upgrade on previous

Just taking a moment (positive) on 15:42 - Oct 16 with 747 viewsderbyhoop

Just taking a moment (positive) on 11:18 - Oct 16 by simmo

Agree completely RE Bonne and said as much at the time, that's why the Kelman signing was such a positive - being the first club to take the plunge on these prospects is important, rather than Adomah who we end up getting 10 years too late!

Also you're right with the loans, still too many going non-league, but Smyth, Oteh, Eze, Chair, Lumley, Dieng, Manning, etc have all been loaned above that in recent years. It's not always going to work but getting players to a level where L1/L2 clubs will consider them is a massive upgrade on previous

Thanks Simmo. I know you watch more U23s except Paul Hall & Chris Ramsey. Gives you a better insight than most. And i’d Overlooked the loans for Dieng, Lumley & Manning.

Ôteh to Stevenage; Shodipo to Oxford Utd both an improvement on the past.

Like I said, I was nit-picking.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024