Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Trump 09:43 - Oct 27 with 115361 viewsHooparoo

An Australian professor of Data Analytics from Griffith University who predicted Trump’s first win, the Australian Federal Election(when all the polls said the opposite) and Brexit has called it - Trump will be re-elected for another 4 years. You heard it here first.

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

Trump on 17:06 - Nov 4 with 2385 viewswood_hoop

Trump on 15:50 - Nov 4 by Phildo

Shredders might be overheating in the White House about now. Donald may be planning for a fight but others will be worried about getting locked up if they do not act lawfully.

Another worry for Trump must be the hundreds of mullions $ loans his companies owe, and then his mysterious tax returns, its how they got Al Capone, no surprise he's desperate to stay President....
Trump on 17:10 - Nov 4 with 2364 viewsMrSheen

Trump on 16:22 - Nov 4 by CincyHoop

Looking more and more likely that Joe Biden will be our president. Not the outcome I voted for, but that is fine, the people have spoken and this is why we have a democracy. I hope all Americans get behind Biden and support him in attempting to move this country forward!

We need more people putting the A (American) in front of their names rather than R or D. This country would be a far better place in my opinion!

Congrats Joe (if largely expected results hold)! I'm with you win or tie!

Hey Cincy, when was the last time Ohio didn't go with the winner?
(Just checked, JFK in 1960!)
[Post edited 4 Nov 2020 17:12]
Trump on 17:37 - Nov 4 with 2253 viewsHunterhoop

Trump on 16:22 - Nov 4 by CincyHoop

Looking more and more likely that Joe Biden will be our president. Not the outcome I voted for, but that is fine, the people have spoken and this is why we have a democracy. I hope all Americans get behind Biden and support him in attempting to move this country forward!

We need more people putting the A (American) in front of their names rather than R or D. This country would be a far better place in my opinion!

Congrats Joe (if largely expected results hold)! I'm with you win or tie!

Good post.
Trump on 17:42 - Nov 4 with 2236 viewsJuzzie

Trump on 13:54 - Nov 4 by Northernr

I have to say, as a side issue, the live updates on the BBC website are fcking atrocious. All about reaction, nothing about facts, figures, what's happened, what's still to happen. "How are European leaders reacting?" "What does the German foreign minister think of this?" "What do these Cuban voters in Florida make of it all?"

Who. Fcking. Cares? When did the fcking vox pop take over journalism? I want facts. I want numbers. I could not give a single fcking sht what the EU's chief diplomat thinks at this moment. I'm getting better updates on this from this bloody thread.

You'd expect the BBC to be above all that but they're just the same.....sensationalism is what it's all about the days.

In the early days of the first lockdown and panic buying was just starting to happen, you'd think the media outlets such as the BBC would try and calm it down by saying something along the lines of "We're hearing reports of people stockpiling. Please don't. The supply chain is good, the shops are open please carry on as normal" etc etc.
but they didn't , they went along with the hysteria and it was only a couple of days later did they start taking the sensible narrative. Too late by then. Well fkin done.
Trump on 17:46 - Nov 4 with 2217 viewsR_from_afar

Trump on 15:28 - Nov 4 by BrianMcCarthy

Might miss tonight's game actually. Not sure yet.

What?

I e-mailed the EFL to let them know and they replied to say they will delay the kick-off, but can you please let them know what time works for you?

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Trump on 17:53 - Nov 4 with 2182 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Trump on 17:46 - Nov 4 by R_from_afar

What?

I e-mailed the EFL to let them know and they replied to say they will delay the kick-off, but can you please let them know what time works for you?

Do you remember that old joke everyone used to tell you when they said you were Rangers?

Rangers fan rings Loftus Road.
"What time is the game?"
"What time can you get here?"

The amount of people I mentally punched. Really hard.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Trump on 17:55 - Nov 4 with 2170 viewsrobith

Trump on 16:50 - Nov 4 by TheChef

I have to admit I couldn't understand how Biden ended up as the candidate, is there really no one else in the Democratic party who is viable?

Being given a choice of two establishment 70-somethings is a very loose approximation of democracy, but hasn't that always been the case (even including Obama's time in office)?

I read somewhere that Obama lost about 1,000 seats across the country during his presidency, meaning the prospective pool of Dems was decimated. You basically had the old guard and a load of weirdos
Trump on 17:59 - Nov 4 with 2146 viewsNorthernr

Trump on 17:42 - Nov 4 by Juzzie

You'd expect the BBC to be above all that but they're just the same.....sensationalism is what it's all about the days.

In the early days of the first lockdown and panic buying was just starting to happen, you'd think the media outlets such as the BBC would try and calm it down by saying something along the lines of "We're hearing reports of people stockpiling. Please don't. The supply chain is good, the shops are open please carry on as normal" etc etc.
but they didn't , they went along with the hysteria and it was only a couple of days later did they start taking the sensible narrative. Too late by then. Well fkin done.

I could do a fcking essay on this but three of the things that irritate me about modern journalism the most, feed into people losing trust in the journalists, and also add fuel to the "evil MSM" fire, are these...

1 - Sourcing and checking. You don't publish a single sourced story, you don't report something an unnamed anonymous source has whispered to you unless you check it, and you get both sides of the story. You check basically. You make sure it's true. This seems to have been lost in the quest to be first to Tweet it out. Stuff now gets Tweeted out immediately as fact, without checking and double and triple sourcing. So Dom wants something out, he says to Laura Kuennesberg "x y z", she Tweets "government sources say this is x y z" and then that's it. It does my fcking nut. If I took that to my editors on local papers ten years ago they'd have said "of course, he would say that wouldn't he, get it checked please". Now it just gets whacked out, and who cares if it's true?

2 - The cult of opinion over fact. News bulletins are now just a journalist in the studio talking to another journlist standing in front of something. And they're packed with vox pops. The BBC, as you say, needs to be above this, but how many fcking Brexit reports did you see where they're sticking the microphone under somebody in a bloody snooker club in Redcar, or a coffee shop in Muswell Hill. I Do. Not. Care. what these people think about this, I want to know what this is, I want to know facts. You're the news, not TalkSport. That TalkSport model of getting two people of opposing points of view to yell at each other, even when one of the points of view is obviously wrong, now prevails over what is actually the fact of the matter here.

3 - Activists presented as 'journalists'. Tom Harwood is not a journalist. Darren Grimes is not a journalist. Owen Jones is not a journalist. But they're presented as such, and given enormous platforms to put forward horrendously biased, often incorrect, points of views, dressed up as journalism. It's not.
Login to get fewer ads

Trump on 18:06 - Nov 4 with 2123 viewsCincyHoop

Trump on 17:10 - Nov 4 by MrSheen

Hey Cincy, when was the last time Ohio didn't go with the winner?
(Just checked, JFK in 1960!)
[Post edited 4 Nov 2020 17:12]

Impressive record and Ohio is genuinely a decent cross-section of Republicans and Democrats so kind of makes sense.

Hamilton county where I live was always going to be a blue county given the urban environment. My hometown county voted 82% for Trump, and Trump received 2k more votes in this election than the previous election.

Lots of people crying in their beers up there, assuming the worst. Its really pathetic in my opinion, but that's why they are opinions, everyone can have one!
Trump on 18:08 - Nov 4 with 2112 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Trump on 17:59 - Nov 4 by Northernr

I could do a fcking essay on this but three of the things that irritate me about modern journalism the most, feed into people losing trust in the journalists, and also add fuel to the "evil MSM" fire, are these...

1 - Sourcing and checking. You don't publish a single sourced story, you don't report something an unnamed anonymous source has whispered to you unless you check it, and you get both sides of the story. You check basically. You make sure it's true. This seems to have been lost in the quest to be first to Tweet it out. Stuff now gets Tweeted out immediately as fact, without checking and double and triple sourcing. So Dom wants something out, he says to Laura Kuennesberg "x y z", she Tweets "government sources say this is x y z" and then that's it. It does my fcking nut. If I took that to my editors on local papers ten years ago they'd have said "of course, he would say that wouldn't he, get it checked please". Now it just gets whacked out, and who cares if it's true?

2 - The cult of opinion over fact. News bulletins are now just a journalist in the studio talking to another journlist standing in front of something. And they're packed with vox pops. The BBC, as you say, needs to be above this, but how many fcking Brexit reports did you see where they're sticking the microphone under somebody in a bloody snooker club in Redcar, or a coffee shop in Muswell Hill. I Do. Not. Care. what these people think about this, I want to know what this is, I want to know facts. You're the news, not TalkSport. That TalkSport model of getting two people of opposing points of view to yell at each other, even when one of the points of view is obviously wrong, now prevails over what is actually the fact of the matter here.

3 - Activists presented as 'journalists'. Tom Harwood is not a journalist. Darren Grimes is not a journalist. Owen Jones is not a journalist. But they're presented as such, and given enormous platforms to put forward horrendously biased, often incorrect, points of views, dressed up as journalism. It's not.

Don't know Owen Jones well or the other two at all but I agree with your post otherwise.

CNN and MSNBC may be trying to appear neutral but they're failing miserably and they're often offering opinions as facts.

Trump on 18:15 - Nov 4 with 2075 viewsMatch82

Trump on 18:08 - Nov 4 by BrianMcCarthy

Don't know Owen Jones well or the other two at all but I agree with your post otherwise.

CNN and MSNBC may be trying to appear neutral but they're failing miserably and they're often offering opinions as facts.

It's a slippery slope we have been on for a while.

People have a natural tendency for good reason, to believe it two competing parties both offer a perspective on something, then the truth is somewhere in the middle.

So when one side presents actual facts and the other side presents unsubstantiated information then people tied to one party are going to believe whatever their side presents and the people in between are going to assume the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Now that "middle" is skewing towards the unsubstantiated claims. How you do shift it back to the true middle? Only way is to make more egregious claims about your own side.

Now no fcker is reporting the actual truth, any kind of moderate position or nuanced perspective is futile and we're left with a bunch of cnts on both sides of the aisle. Lucky us
Trump on 18:36 - Nov 4 with 2017 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Trump on 18:08 - Nov 4 by BrianMcCarthy

Owen Jones, who I am no fan of, is the only one of those three that actually studied journalism. Predictably, I do not agree that he is the Left wing equivalent to the dubious politics of Grimes and Harwood, but I understand why Norf has to make that caveat in this forum to avoid a bun fight.

For me, as long as journalism relies on profitability and private financing from billionaires, and remains a commercial industry rather than a service it will always be swayed into sensationalism and follow the £ note and move away from the ideal journalistic standards that Norf mentioned.

I have no issue with the bias of journalists, because they are human. It’s the partial motives of the owners that concerns me. I have no issue with The Spectator having a pop at Corbyn and the left for example, because that’s what they are for. I resent the fact that it’s owners (the Barclay brothers) are based in a tax haven. How can the Spectator expect to be impartial on issues such as tax or electoral reform for example?

I read a political book written by a journalist recently in which I was quoted and a incident involving me and a MP was recalled. The quote and details of the incident was false. I was not contacted despite my contact details being easily available to the writer. They instead asked two people, both of who were hostile to the project I was working on and got the version of events they wanted out into the public domain without a right of reply from me or the MP.

I’m sure these views will result in one of the usual headbangers calling me a Commie Cnt who should fck off to China/Russia but private ownership of media should be illegal and replaced with a democratic independent (yes independent) state funded but free from state interference system of accountable journalism.

[Post edited 4 Nov 2020 20:39]
Trump on 18:38 - Nov 4 with 2010 viewswood_hoop

Trump on 18:15 - Nov 4 by Match82

It's a slippery slope we have been on for a while.

People have a natural tendency for good reason, to believe it two competing parties both offer a perspective on something, then the truth is somewhere in the middle.

So when one side presents actual facts and the other side presents unsubstantiated information then people tied to one party are going to believe whatever their side presents and the people in between are going to assume the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Now that "middle" is skewing towards the unsubstantiated claims. How you do shift it back to the true middle? Only way is to make more egregious claims about your own side.

Now no fcker is reporting the actual truth, any kind of moderate position or nuanced perspective is futile and we're left with a bunch of cnts on both sides of the aisle. Lucky us

Was watching ITV this morning a very rare occurence, wouldn't say Piers Morgan would top any list of mine, but the Government has refused to appear on Good Morning Britain for over 6 months, this is one of the major morning TV channels, so our Government and its side kicks are avoiding any shows that may ask those awkward questions.

Dosn't say that much about the BBC or Sky news that their spin will not be put through the wringer too much.

Trump is the same with his allegiance to Fox, so unless you watch countless channels hard to know exactly where facts/truths really lie.
Trump on 18:48 - Nov 4 with 1958 viewsrobith

Trump on 17:59 - Nov 4 by Northernr

During the Cummings scandal Kuenssberg was basically running defence for Dom *against another journalist*

Couldn't believe my eyes.

But be fair on Tom Harwood now - he's swallowed a lot of shit to get where he is today
[Post edited 4 Nov 2020 18:49]
Trump on 18:50 - Nov 4 with 1945 viewsPinnerPaul

Biden now out to 4/11, Trump 2/1
Trump on 18:58 - Nov 4 with 1921 viewsrobith

Trump on 18:50 - Nov 4 by PinnerPaul

Biden now out to 4/11, Trump 2/1

£456m matched on this betfair market. Unreal
Trump on 23:40 - Nov 4 with 1706 viewsGaryT

Trump on 14:06 - Nov 4 by gobbles

Biden ahead in Michigan and Wisconsin now. Won't need Pennsylvania or Georgia if he gets those two plus Arizona and Nevada

If Nevada hadn't called it a day after their in person counting was done, it would be all over now.

Rudolph and Don 'charlie' Jnr making absolute tools of themselves howling at the moon and pouring fuel on the fire...as they are saying in Derby tonight, fooking wañkers

Bar the whining and sham court cases, Biden has 4 years without a senate majority to mend the wounds of a broken country....at least the rest of us will sleep a little better tonight.
[Post edited 4 Nov 2020 23:40]
Trump on 23:46 - Nov 4 with 1682 viewsCamberleyR

Trump on 23:40 - Nov 4 by GaryT

If Nevada hadn't called it a day after their in person counting was done, it would be all over now.

Rudolph and Don 'charlie' Jnr making absolute tools of themselves howling at the moon and pouring fuel on the fire...as they are saying in Derby tonight, fooking wañkers

Bar the whining and sham court cases, Biden has 4 years without a senate majority to mend the wounds of a broken country....at least the rest of us will sleep a little better tonight.

"If Nevada hadn't called it a day after their in person counting was done, it would be all over now. "

There was another state that did that when I was watching the coverage last night. I couldn't believe it. You'd surely expect there to be a relief team of counters ready to take over when one lot had done their shift?

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Trump on 23:47 - Nov 4 with 1676 viewsdistortR

Trump on 18:36 - Nov 4 by BazzaInTheLoft

Owen Jones, who I am no fan of, is the only one of those three that actually studied journalism. Predictably, I do not agree that he is the Left wing equivalent to the dubious politics of Grimes and Harwood, but I understand why Norf has to make that caveat in this forum to avoid a bun fight.

For me, as long as journalism relies on profitability and private financing from billionaires, and remains a commercial industry rather than a service it will always be swayed into sensationalism and follow the £ note and move away from the ideal journalistic standards that Norf mentioned.

I have no issue with the bias of journalists, because they are human. It’s the partial motives of the owners that concerns me. I have no issue with The Spectator having a pop at Corbyn and the left for example, because that’s what they are for. I resent the fact that it’s owners (the Barclay brothers) are based in a tax haven. How can the Spectator expect to be impartial on issues such as tax or electoral reform for example?

I read a political book written by a journalist recently in which I was quoted and a incident involving me and a MP was recalled. The quote and details of the incident was false. I was not contacted despite my contact details being easily available to the writer. They instead asked two people, both of who were hostile to the project I was working on and got the version of events they wanted out into the public domain without a right of reply from me or the MP.

I’m sure these views will result in one of the usual headbangers calling me a Commie Cnt who should fck off to China/Russia but private ownership of media should be illegal and replaced with a democratic independent (yes independent) state funded but free from state interference system of accountable journalism.

[Post edited 4 Nov 2020 20:39]

you're a commie c who should etc etc
Trump on 23:53 - Nov 4 with 1654 viewsGaryT

Trump on 23:40 - Nov 4 by GaryT

North Carolina haven't updated their numbers in over 14 hours so I'm guessing it was them?

I heard someone got on the blower to Nevada and the cleaning lady is opening up there tonight to help kick start the mail in ballot processing...so that's nice.

*Edit* Was meant to be quoting CamberleyR but managed to quote myself.
[Post edited 5 Nov 2020 0:01]
Trump on 00:36 - Nov 5 with 1606 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Trump on 23:53 - Nov 4 by GaryT

North Carolina haven't updated their numbers in over 14 hours so I'm guessing it was them?

I heard someone got on the blower to Nevada and the cleaning lady is opening up there tonight to help kick start the mail in ballot processing...so that's nice.

*Edit* Was meant to be quoting CamberleyR but managed to quote myself.
[Post edited 5 Nov 2020 0:01]

Yes, it's N.C. as they're accepting mailed votes stamped before election day up until 12th Nov.

Trump on 07:12 - Nov 5 with 1479 viewsWatford_Ranger

Trump on 18:48 - Nov 4 by robith

During the Cummings scandal Kuenssberg was basically running defence for Dom *against another journalist*

Couldn't believe my eyes.

But be fair on Tom Harwood now - he's swallowed a lot of shit to get where he is today
[Post edited 4 Nov 2020 18:49]

More than that I’d guess.
Trump on 07:48 - Nov 5 with 1426 viewstraininvain

Arizona is tightening and might go Trump’s way. Similar story in Pennsylvania and Georgia for Biden.

This is going to the wire!
Trump on 08:05 - Nov 5 with 1382 viewsJamesB1979

Why can’t all the states count the postal votes first and just add those votes to the ones on the day. It shouldn’t take this long to determine the winner and would avoid this “late votes swing it” nonsense.
Trump on 08:13 - Nov 5 with 1348 viewsnix

Trump on 08:05 - Nov 5 by JamesB1979

Why can’t all the states count the postal votes first and just add those votes to the ones on the day. It shouldn’t take this long to determine the winner and would avoid this “late votes swing it” nonsense.

I think I read somewhere they've been told they weren't allowed to do this. Trump wanted to make it as difficult as possible to count the postal votes as they're believed to be disproportionately Democratic votes.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024