Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
toothless tiger nobby stiles 15:58 - Oct 30 with 4679 viewssouthbrookstreet

Rip Nobby you done what was asked of you in 1966 another England hero gone.. RIP mate
toothless tiger nobby stiles on 16:08 - Oct 30 with 3590 viewsstowmarketrange

Just heard the sad news.RIP Nobby and Condolences to his family and friends.
Another player who wasn’t necessarily the best but he did the job that he was asked to do.Another one of the class of 66 gone.
toothless tiger nobby stiles on 16:13 - Oct 30 with 3575 viewsted_hendrix

That's sad news RIP

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

toothless tiger nobby stiles on 16:20 - Oct 30 with 3562 views2Thomas2Bowles

Another one of the Legends gone

R I P

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

toothless tiger nobby stiles on 16:20 - Oct 30 with 3564 viewswood_hoop

Another of my boyhood footballing heroes gone,

R.I.P Mr Stiles
[Post edited 30 Oct 2020 16:21]
toothless tiger nobby stiles on 17:21 - Oct 30 with 3487 viewsBoston

Sad loss.

Need a Manc R to confirm - is it true Nobby Stiles and Stan Bowles grew up on the same street?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

toothless tiger nobby stiles on 18:06 - Oct 30 with 3445 viewsNov77

Only 4 left from ‘66 now

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

toothless tiger nobby stiles on 19:02 - Oct 30 with 3412 viewsDiscodroids

RIP destroyer.

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

toothless tiger nobby stiles on 19:06 - Oct 30 with 3405 viewsloftboy

Played every minute of the 66 tournament RIP Norbert

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Login to get fewer ads

toothless tiger nobby stiles on 19:11 - Oct 30 with 3400 viewsflynnbo

RIP Nobby and well played.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-11630764#:~:text=The%
toothless tiger nobby stiles on 19:34 - Oct 30 with 3377 viewsMonahoop

A true old school football character with a classic footballers name. They don't make the likes of him any more in the game of football. A real shame. RIP Nobby

There aint half been some clever bastards.

toothless tiger nobby stiles on 19:40 - Oct 30 with 3372 viewsjohncharles

RIP Nobby. Another legend bites the dust. Loved by England and hated by the opposition which is how it should be.

Strong and stable my arse.

toothless tiger nobby stiles on 20:45 - Oct 30 with 3333 viewsfrancisbowles

toothless tiger nobby stiles on 18:06 - Oct 30 by Nov77

Only 4 left from ‘66 now

Bobby Charlton
Geoff Hust
Roger Hunt
George Cohen

I hope they are all well and have a few years left.

Coming from an Irish family with no interest in 'soccer', it was the 1966 World Cup, that I discovered by accident as an eight year old, that started my love of the game.

Who is still alive from the rest of the 22. Jimmy Greaves, Terry Paine, ?
toothless tiger nobby stiles on 21:28 - Oct 30 with 3317 viewsCamberleyR

toothless tiger nobby stiles on 17:21 - Oct 30 by Boston

Sad loss.

Need a Manc R to confirm - is it true Nobby Stiles and Stan Bowles grew up on the same street?

They both came from Collyhurst so there's a chance. Brian Kidd who's only six months younger than Stan also came from there.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

toothless tiger nobby stiles on 21:41 - Oct 30 with 3308 viewsBrianMcCarthy

toothless tiger nobby stiles on 21:28 - Oct 30 by CamberleyR

They both came from Collyhurst so there's a chance. Brian Kidd who's only six months younger than Stan also came from there.

I heard that from a Collyhurst native I know. I'll check again.

RIP Nobby.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

toothless tiger nobby stiles on 22:04 - Oct 30 with 3292 viewsqprxtc

toothless tiger nobby stiles on 08:44 - Oct 31 with 3206 viewsCamberleyR

toothless tiger nobby stiles on 20:45 - Oct 30 by francisbowles

Bobby Charlton
Geoff Hust
Roger Hunt
George Cohen

I hope they are all well and have a few years left.

Coming from an Irish family with no interest in 'soccer', it was the 1966 World Cup, that I discovered by accident as an eight year old, that started my love of the game.

Who is still alive from the rest of the 22. Jimmy Greaves, Terry Paine, ?

The two you mention plus George Eastham, Ian Callaghan and Ron Flowers.

toothless tiger nobby stiles on 08:51 - Oct 31 with 3202 viewsgazza1

toothless tiger nobby stiles on 08:44 - Oct 31 by CamberleyR

Wow, Ron Flowers & George Eastham still with us!!! Great players them two.
toothless tiger nobby stiles on 09:11 - Oct 31 with 3185 viewsfrancisbowles

Thanks CamberleryR.

Last I heard, a few years ago, Terry Paine was still working as a pundit in South Africa.
toothless tiger nobby stiles on 10:04 - Oct 31 with 3158 viewsAntti_Heinola

Great story about Nobby's famously poor eyesight.
It probably started when he was a kid, when he ran out and fell into a tram and banged his head quite badly. In those days, it was a sign of weakness to wear glasses, as well as being expensive, so he struggled through school barely able to see, eyes watering. And even though he could barely see, he kind of grew up like that, so when he played football, he was guessing on timing a lot of the time... and he STILL became good enough to be signed by Man Utd.
It was only as he was, I think, in and around the first team, that one of the senior pros realised he was half-blind, told the manager, and he was sent to get his eye tested. The passage in his book when he got his glasses is wonderful - he almost fell off the kerb because he had to adjust how he went about his day to day life, he could see 'straight lines on buildings'. It sounded like when the Wizard of Oz goes into colour. He had to adjust on the pitch, too, and completely change his timing for tackles, headers etc.
Incredible.

Bare bones.

toothless tiger nobby stiles on 10:16 - Oct 31 with 3139 viewstimcocking

RIP and well played.
toothless tiger nobby stiles on 10:18 - Oct 31 with 3140 viewsMyke

I never even knew Callaghan was in that England squad. I thought he only played in that all Liverpool England experiment, which I think finished 0-0 but can't remember against who. I remember listening to it on BBC radio, sometime in the mid-70's I'm guessing.
RIP Nobby
toothless tiger nobby stiles on 11:03 - Oct 31 with 3123 viewsCamberleyR

toothless tiger nobby stiles on 10:18 - Oct 31 by Myke

I never even knew Callaghan was in that England squad. I thought he only played in that all Liverpool England experiment, which I think finished 0-0 but can't remember against who. I remember listening to it on BBC radio, sometime in the mid-70's I'm guessing.
RIP Nobby

He made his debut just before the Finals in 1966 and then actually played in the final group game against France when Ramsey was still experimenting with wingers (he'd played John Connelly against Uruguay and Terry Paine against Mexico in the previous two matches).

He didn't play another international for another eleven years before as you correctly remember being surprisingly selected again at the age of 35 for Ron Greenwood's first game as caretaker England manager against Switzerland at Wembley.

He was alongside five other Liverpool team mates (Clemence, Neal, McDermott, Hughes and Kennedy) plus Keegan who'd been another colleague a few months previously. As you say it ended goalless. He played once more the following month in the 2-0 World Cup qualifier in Luxembourg where Greenwood was again trying to pick the entire Liverpool team.

toothless tiger nobby stiles on 11:08 - Oct 31 with 3117 viewsMyke

toothless tiger nobby stiles on 11:03 - Oct 31 by CamberleyR

He made his debut just before the Finals in 1966 and then actually played in the final group game against France when Ramsey was still experimenting with wingers (he'd played John Connelly against Uruguay and Terry Paine against Mexico in the previous two matches).

He didn't play another international for another eleven years before as you correctly remember being surprisingly selected again at the age of 35 for Ron Greenwood's first game as caretaker England manager against Switzerland at Wembley.

He was alongside five other Liverpool team mates (Clemence, Neal, McDermott, Hughes and Kennedy) plus Keegan who'd been another colleague a few months previously. As you say it ended goalless. He played once more the following month in the 2-0 World Cup qualifier in Luxembourg where Greenwood was again trying to pick the entire Liverpool team.

Cheers for that Camberley. He was a real one club man - not too many of those knocking around anymore
toothless tiger nobby stiles on 11:08 - Oct 31 with 3116 viewsfrancisbowles

toothless tiger nobby stiles on 10:18 - Oct 31 by Myke

RIP Nobby

It was Switzerland in 1977, Myke. Callaghan got four caps in total.

He played against France in the 1966 group stage and that was his last cap until 1977. He was awarded a wc winners medal in 2007 so became the third Englishman to have a World Cup, European Cup (he played in 1977 and was an unused sub in 1978) and Football League Championship medals (5), after Bobby Carlton and Norbert Styles.
toothless tiger nobby stiles on 11:28 - Oct 31 with 3103 viewsMyke

toothless tiger nobby stiles on 11:08 - Oct 31 by francisbowles

It was Switzerland in 1977, Myke. Callaghan got four caps in total.

He played against France in the 1966 group stage and that was his last cap until 1977. He was awarded a wc winners medal in 2007 so became the third Englishman to have a World Cup, European Cup (he played in 1977 and was an unused sub in 1978) and Football League Championship medals (5), after Bobby Carlton and Norbert Styles.

Cheers FB. My situation a bit similar to yours although I was later coming to the soccer feast. My dad WAS a football fan, but was in England at the time. My mum was English but had no heed on football. My dad brought her to one England v 'Eire' game in the 50's but she wasn't impressed!
In a very remote part of the West of Ireland (still here now looking out at the wind and rain) we didn't even have electricity in'66 never mind a tv. My dad was a big Man Utd fan, so when he came back in 67, he started 'educating' his 3 sons ( I was the youngest at 4) on how wonderful they were - which to be fair at the time they were. Bestie, Law and co were talked about in my house as often as the next door neighbours. Anyway he didn't enjoy much success with his 'recruitment' as he produced a Leeds, Liverpool and QPR fan!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024