Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Unsung Heroes 13:06 - Nov 5 with 3814 viewsngbqpr

Bit of a lockdown diversion thread. Great former players you think don't get quite the adulation they deserve.

So...not yer cast iron legends, but equally not a random player you and you alone had a bit of a thing about.

To set the ball rolling, my definition of such a player is Glen Roeder. I thought he was absolute quality, and with his style of play would be worth tens of millions in the modern game. We had a 15-20 year period where we really were spoilt for quality centre backs, but for me he's right up there with Macca, Wicks, Parker, Maddix etc

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Unsung Heroes on 13:37 - Nov 5 with 2336 viewsslmrstid

This is an interesting one, and I guess everyone has their own definition of unsung hero.

To try and use yours, from my time supporting the R's, I'll offer the following for me...

- Kaspars Gorrkks - rarely talked about in the 10/11 team but he was a monster at the back and as much of a reason for all those clean sheets that year as Kenny was behind him, and Derry/Faurlin in front of him. Fondly remembered by all, but I dont think he has the same legend status as those others, perhaps because he was binned off so quickly after - a huge mistake for me and I think he'd have been just as good as Anton Ferdinand was, if not better.

- Bradley Orr - for the same reason. Perhaps not quite as good, and unfortunately for him hugely overshadowed by Kyle Walker, who was waaaay too good for the Championship even then, but deserves more recognition than he perhaps gets.

- Adam Bolder - not the best player of course, but for 12 months he was a hugely important and influential player for us, helping us in that Great Escape under Gregory in 06/07. I was at Charlton the following year when he scored his first goal for us. I think he deserves to be remembered more.

- Marcus Bignot arguably - gave years of service. Fondly remembered but maybe deserves more?

Thats 4 from me! :)
Unsung Heroes on 13:48 - Nov 5 with 2306 viewshantssi

Mick Leech for me.
Also thought Steve Palmer got a lot of unfair criticism.
Unsung Heroes on 14:00 - Nov 5 with 2281 viewsqueensparker

From when I started going, always remember numbers 2 and 3 in the back of the programme:

Neill
Neill
Neill
Neill
Neill
Neill
Neill
Neill
Neill
Neill

Dawes
Dawes
Dawes
Dawes
Dawes
Dawes
Dawes
Dawes
Dawes
Dawes
Dawes
Dawes

Two players that were always there, always good, never ever missed a game.
Unsung Heroes on 14:06 - Nov 5 with 2263 viewsLongsufferingR

Only with us for a short time but we were bang in trouble before John Gregory took over and among the good signings he made, Danny Cullip stood out a mile for me. Aggressive, nasty, passionate and exactly what we needed to lead us out of trouble. Always remember his celebration in front of us at the Ricoh after an unexpected 1-0 win.
Unsung Heroes on 14:40 - Nov 5 with 2198 viewsdannyblue

Akos Buzsacky - I know he's sung, but not as sung as he perhaps should be. A goal every three and half games, none of them tap ins and several of them of unique quality. A true number 10. Such a shame about the injuries at crucial times.

JET - - A goal every 160 minutes, and real belters. Came in and did a good job when Austin was out. Just on the football pitch alone. OK. I know, I know. See also Terrell Forbes, and Leon Jeanne - problematic talents.

Devon White - HERO! A couple memorable goals and great laughs for all his clumsiness.

All the towering left backs: Damien Delaney, Ian Barraclough and to a lesser extent Mauro Milanese.

Andy Thompson - A lot of goals but little love.
Unsung Heroes on 14:42 - Nov 5 with 2180 viewsNed_Kennedys

John Gregory for me: one of the best midfielders I have seen play for us and his form brought him England caps.
Unsung Heroes on 14:44 - Nov 5 with 2170 viewsLongsufferingR

Unsung Heroes on 14:42 - Nov 5 by Ned_Kennedys

John Gregory for me: one of the best midfielders I have seen play for us and his form brought him England caps.

Absolutely. Such a classy player.
Unsung Heroes on 14:48 - Nov 5 with 2160 viewsPeterHucker

Warren Neill & Ian Dawes as mentioned above - both steady, no-nonsense full backs who took no prisoners but could also play a bit

Chris Day - Lee Camp rightly gets a lot of recognition from us QPR fans (he played at Hillsborough & everyone remembers Hartlepool away) but Chris Day was brilliant the season before in our run to the playoff final from New Years Day 2003 onwards.

Richard Langley - Not remembered as fondly as he deserves to be because of the red card at Oldham and him joining Cardiff at the peak of our hatred of them. Scored some incredible goals, but also very often scored important ones that got us the points in tight 1-0s.

Steve Palmer - always surprises me when people mention him as a poor player. Read the game very well, popped up with a few goals. Did a decent job at centre back or centre midfielder, especially when he had someone more attack-minded alongside him (e.g. Rowlands). Whenever any of the players from that time are interviewed they always talk of him with great respect as he was clearly a leader / role model on & off the pitch.
Not Palmer's fault that Ollie sometimes was a bit over-cautious with his selections and picked too many defensive midfielders!
Also does anyone else remember his programme notes from the Oldham play off which was basically just the lyrics of his favourite song (Ghosts by The Jam)

Simon Barker - got a lot of stick at the time but if you actually watched him, there was nobody in our team that popped up in so many places on the pitch. Did a lot of stuff that went under the radar.

Wayne Routledge - I remember seeing him away at Blackpool (the season before we got promoted) in the pouring rain and he left their fullback for dead.
His rapport with Taarabt was fantastic and a lot of people seem to forget about his contribution to the promotion under Warnock.
Was gutted when Briatore wouldn't stump up the cash to sign him permanently and he went to Swansea.

Chris Kiwomya - bear with me on this one because this is probably the most controversial on this list. I'm not saying he was great because he wasn't.
But we survived relegation in 98/99 with a very very poor squad because he was scoring goals for us when nobody else could!
Login to get fewer ads

Unsung Heroes on 15:10 - Nov 5 with 2117 viewsDavieQPR

Martyn Busby pre injury I am sure he would have gone on to play for England.
Unsung Heroes on 15:20 - Nov 5 with 2099 viewsMrSheen

Bignot for me. Incredibly important to the relegated 2001 team for putting all-out effort and fighting spirit back in the Hoops. Helped turn misfits and cast-offs into a team.
Unsung Heroes on 15:28 - Nov 5 with 2077 viewsPinnerPaul

John Hollins - two reasons 'unsung' - his obvious connection with you know who, also overshadowed by IMHO the two finest midfielders to grace the hoops - Gerry Francis and Don Masson. Hollins did play 150 games for us and was always reliable.
Unsung Heroes on 15:29 - Nov 5 with 2078 viewsmarkqpr

Simon Barker.

As mentioned above he always put a shift in, scored some great goals, one against Liverpool at the Loft End stands out in my mind, could thread a pass, great tackler and was an integral part of that 90s side.

Barker was mostly under appreciated during his time with us and certainly under rated within the game, which benefited us though.

Bradley Allen as well was a great player whom we don't celebrate enough of in our history.

For me those two certainly don't get the adulation they deserve.
Unsung Heroes on 15:30 - Nov 5 with 2075 viewshantssi

Unsung Heroes on 14:06 - Nov 5 by LongsufferingR

Only with us for a short time but we were bang in trouble before John Gregory took over and among the good signings he made, Danny Cullip stood out a mile for me. Aggressive, nasty, passionate and exactly what we needed to lead us out of trouble. Always remember his celebration in front of us at the Ricoh after an unexpected 1-0 win.

I read somewhere that Brighton fans were crowd funding to get him cloned!
Shame his injuries got him in the end.
I’d also go with Bignott.
Controversial but I actually liked Georges Santos, played where he was asked, never hid, never shirked a tackle, even when the crowd got on his back and chipped in with a few goals (remember Norwich at home?).
Unsung Heroes on 16:03 - Nov 5 with 2039 viewsngbqpr

Unsung Heroes on 14:40 - Nov 5 by dannyblue

Akos Buzsacky - I know he's sung, but not as sung as he perhaps should be. A goal every three and half games, none of them tap ins and several of them of unique quality. A true number 10. Such a shame about the injuries at crucial times.

JET - - A goal every 160 minutes, and real belters. Came in and did a good job when Austin was out. Just on the football pitch alone. OK. I know, I know. See also Terrell Forbes, and Leon Jeanne - problematic talents.

Devon White - HERO! A couple memorable goals and great laughs for all his clumsiness.

All the towering left backs: Damien Delaney, Ian Barraclough and to a lesser extent Mauro Milanese.

Andy Thompson - A lot of goals but little love.

Good shout on Thompson. Things would have been very different without his goals.

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Unsung Heroes on 16:11 - Nov 5 with 2032 viewsHayesender

Ian Barraclough. Played in what must be our worst team in living memory, but never let us down.

Had a lovely left foot on him as well

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Unsung Heroes on 16:29 - Nov 5 with 1996 viewskensalriser

I quite liked Tony Thorpe at the time.

Did his bit in our promotion campaign and as a bonus pissed off Luton when he joined.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Unsung Heroes on 17:36 - Nov 5 with 1945 viewsCamberleyR

Gary Micklewhite. We signed him as a free transfer but about the only decent player we've ever had from Man United. A vital part of the teams that reached the Cup Final and won the second division the following season. He also didn't look out of place in the top flight when we got back there. Scored a few memorable goals as well.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Unsung Heroes on 17:50 - Nov 5 with 1924 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Barker is mine. It may have been the unusual shuffling running style or it may just have been that he was surrounded by such class players but he was sorely underrated and unsung.

Another name for the pot is Mark Falco. 27 goals in 87 appearances all of them volleys from 50 yards out. Not sure why he has been slightly forgotten.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Unsung Heroes on 17:57 - Nov 5 with 1916 viewsThe_Beast1976

Agree with all of Bradley Allen, Simon Barker and Devon White.

What about Andy Impey? Clive Wilson?
Unsung Heroes on 18:31 - Nov 5 with 1884 viewsBoston

Unsung Heroes on 17:50 - Nov 5 by BrianMcCarthy

Barker is mine. It may have been the unusual shuffling running style or it may just have been that he was surrounded by such class players but he was sorely underrated and unsung.

Another name for the pot is Mark Falco. 27 goals in 87 appearances all of them volleys from 50 yards out. Not sure why he has been slightly forgotten.

Falco, lord nose why he is overlooked, nobody I nose nose why.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Unsung Heroes on 04:46 - Nov 6 with 1704 viewsjtuck

Ian Holloway. Really under-rated player, not least by himself. Vital part of that great Rangers team alongside Super Ray Wilkins.

LAranger

Unsung Heroes on 08:04 - Nov 6 with 1645 viewsloftus77

I would add:

Peter Eastoe - to me, he always worked hard in a slowly fading team.
Wayne Fereday - pacy, inventive and had a great shot on him.
Unsung Heroes on 08:09 - Nov 6 with 1634 viewsEsox_Lucius

Ron Hunt RIP. If it hadn't been for that tackle at Wembley we would not have a League Cup Winners accolade listed in our trophy column. He was also a steady and consistent centre back who went very much under the radar in a team with Marsh, the Morgan twins, Allen etc. More recently David Bardsley, recognised but not to the extent he should have been.

The grass is always greener.

Unsung Heroes on 08:18 - Nov 6 with 1616 viewsCiderwithRsie

Unsung Heroes on 14:00 - Nov 5 by queensparker

From when I started going, always remember numbers 2 and 3 in the back of the programme:

Neill
Neill
Neill
Neill
Neill
Neill
Neill
Neill
Neill
Neill

Dawes
Dawes
Dawes
Dawes
Dawes
Dawes
Dawes
Dawes
Dawes
Dawes
Dawes
Dawes

Two players that were always there, always good, never ever missed a game.

First two names that came in my head too.

Of course they came after the Clement and Gillard partnership, but that pair always bask in the glory of '75. Dawes and Neill were fundamental all through the Venables era which I'd say was one of the four great QPR eras (Stock, Jago-Sexton, Docherty-Venables, Howe-Francis)

I'd kinda argue that whole period is starting to feel a bit neglected in the QPR imagination - how about Roeder or Goddard?
Unsung Heroes on 08:26 - Nov 6 with 1612 viewsWestonsuperR

Unsung Heroes on 04:46 - Nov 6 by jtuck

Ian Holloway. Really under-rated player, not least by himself. Vital part of that great Rangers team alongside Super Ray Wilkins.

You beat me to it! Holloway covered the pitch so well his effort let more skillful players shine, wouldn't have been quite the same team without him. Was known to be the fittest player at the club also which was reflected in his workrate.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024