Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Any Hi-fi geeks out there 18:33 - Nov 20 with 681 viewsBlackCrowe

Wanting to upgrade my old bookshelf speakers and offered an amazing deal KEF LS50 wired speakers - waisting my time getting these to sit on a bookshelf?

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Any Hi-fi geeks out there on 18:49 - Nov 20 with 663 viewsSharpy36

Just looked at them and if it was me i would put them on stands. They draw air in through the back so if not stands at least not pushed up against a hard surface.

'You didn't know that was wrong, but now you do. If you do it again, I'll know you are doing it on purpose.'

Any Hi-fi geeks out there on 18:56 - Nov 20 with 656 viewsBlackCrowe

Any Hi-fi geeks out there on 18:49 - Nov 20 by Sharpy36

Just looked at them and if it was me i would put them on stands. They draw air in through the back so if not stands at least not pushed up against a hard surface.

Others have said the same, but if you're going to put them stands Sharpy why wouldn't you just get floorstanding speakers (which i haven't got room for in the kitchen).

They don't need to perform at the max but if they're a big improvement on the current bookshelf fairly budget Wharfedale Diamonds bought about 15 years ago, then i might just take the offer up. Thoughts?

Any Hi-fi geeks out there on 19:05 - Nov 20 with 636 viewsLimehouseR

Monitors over speakers.
Each. And. Every. Time!
Purer, clearer and more accurate sound. Uncoloured.

I've got a pair of Focal Alpha 50s. Superb.
Any Hi-fi geeks out there on 19:35 - Nov 20 with 605 viewsToast_R

I remember the days when I could play my music loud. Setup a 7.1 system in my man cave on a Yamaha reciver with Tannoy speakers. That was before the kids came along and my nextdoor neighbour was who old and deaf was still alive. All changed now, even my Echo dot is panned for being too loud.

As far as shelf speakers go, try isolation spikes. Usually on Ebay
Any Hi-fi geeks out there on 19:53 - Nov 20 with 590 viewsHarbour

Any Hi-fi geeks out there on 19:35 - Nov 20 by Toast_R

I remember the days when I could play my music loud. Setup a 7.1 system in my man cave on a Yamaha reciver with Tannoy speakers. That was before the kids came along and my nextdoor neighbour was who old and deaf was still alive. All changed now, even my Echo dot is panned for being too loud.

Ah Tannoy Mercury’s and Oxfords they were the real deal remember the floorboards vibrating to the Oxfords at full blast cracking speakers
Any Hi-fi geeks out there on 20:52 - Nov 20 with 542 viewsJuzzie

Any Hi-fi geeks out there on 19:35 - Nov 20 by Toast_R

Same here

Had full on 5.1 then the kids came along. Still got the kit in the loft, refuse to sell it.

Got a Tannoy Basestation now but get moaned at if it’s on or if anything is loud, such as breathing.

[Post edited 20 Nov 2020 20:52]
Any Hi-fi geeks out there on 21:46 - Nov 20 with 492 viewsSharpy36

Any Hi-fi geeks out there on 18:56 - Nov 20 by BlackCrowe

Others have said the same, but if you're going to put them stands Sharpy why wouldn't you just get floorstanding speakers (which i haven't got room for in the kitchen).

They don't need to perform at the max but if they're a big improvement on the current bookshelf fairly budget Wharfedale Diamonds bought about 15 years ago, then i might just take the offer up. Thoughts?

If there for the kitchen yep stands could be a problem. How about wall brackets or possibly ceiling/wall speakers ?.

'You didn't know that was wrong, but now you do. If you do it again, I'll know you are doing it on purpose.'

Any Hi-fi geeks out there on 21:48 - Nov 20 with 485 viewsBlackCrowe

Any Hi-fi geeks out there on 21:46 - Nov 20 by Sharpy36

If there for the kitchen yep stands could be a problem. How about wall brackets or possibly ceiling/wall speakers ?.

Alas no. Though some told me to place them on the shelves on little pads of blu-tack.

Login to get fewer ads

Any Hi-fi geeks out there on 21:48 - Nov 20 with 483 viewsEsox_Lucius

Any Hi-fi geeks out there on 20:52 - Nov 20 by Juzzie

Same here

Had full on 5.1 then the kids came along. Still got the kit in the loft, refuse to sell it.

Got a Tannoy Basestation now but get moaned at if it’s on or if anything is loud, such as breathing.

[Post edited 20 Nov 2020 20:52]

I had to smile when I saw that, I still have a pair of Kef Reference 104ab speakers, An Audiolab 8000 Ampli used as a pre amp to a Cambridge Audio 300w per channel amp and the Michell deck coupled with a Linn arm up in the loft.

The grass is always greener.

Any Hi-fi geeks out there on 21:50 - Nov 20 with 478 viewsBlackCrowe

Any Hi-fi geeks out there on 21:48 - Nov 20 by Esox_Lucius

I had to smile when I saw that, I still have a pair of Kef Reference 104ab speakers, An Audiolab 8000 Ampli used as a pre amp to a Cambridge Audio 300w per channel amp and the Michell deck coupled with a Linn arm up in the loft.

Sigh...my loft contains a Dual turntable and about 300 LPs. Something i vowed to sort out over lockdown but Madam Crowe is not buying it. yet.

Any Hi-fi geeks out there on 21:54 - Nov 20 with 477 viewsBklynRanger

I'd jump on it. Reading the posts here we're all in the same boat with the various loving demands and passive requests from our better halves. I've got a good pair of large speakers in a box in the hall - different flat at a different time.

Those KEFs would match with my current approach anyway, BC, which is good quality bookshelf speakers through a decent amp, wired into a subwoofer. Absolutely not for the purists.

In my case I've got Monitor Audios and a Rel T Zero subwoofer into a NAD amp - the digital one of their classic previous version - D3020. None of this is as high end as those KEFs but there's some kind of technology (which I honestly can't be trusted to explain) whereby the Rel T augments the speakers. All the wires merge, something to do with the high level input. Either way can't recommend that woofer enough at its price point.

Point being it does allow you to enjoy the bookshelfs with good sound and just a bit of woofer and everybody's happy. And on the odd afternoon when the stars are aligned and the bell-end downstairs has gone to the Coop for 20 minutes we can all finally roam the earth like the proud angry beasts we are, and /or turn it up a bit.
Any Hi-fi geeks out there on 22:00 - Nov 20 with 469 viewsBlackCrowe

Any Hi-fi geeks out there on 21:54 - Nov 20 by BklynRanger

I'd jump on it. Reading the posts here we're all in the same boat with the various loving demands and passive requests from our better halves. I've got a good pair of large speakers in a box in the hall - different flat at a different time.

Those KEFs would match with my current approach anyway, BC, which is good quality bookshelf speakers through a decent amp, wired into a subwoofer. Absolutely not for the purists.

In my case I've got Monitor Audios and a Rel T Zero subwoofer into a NAD amp - the digital one of their classic previous version - D3020. None of this is as high end as those KEFs but there's some kind of technology (which I honestly can't be trusted to explain) whereby the Rel T augments the speakers. All the wires merge, something to do with the high level input. Either way can't recommend that woofer enough at its price point.

Point being it does allow you to enjoy the bookshelfs with good sound and just a bit of woofer and everybody's happy. And on the odd afternoon when the stars are aligned and the bell-end downstairs has gone to the Coop for 20 minutes we can all finally roam the earth like the proud angry beasts we are, and /or turn it up a bit.

Man-love for you Blkyn

Any Hi-fi geeks out there on 22:35 - Nov 20 with 439 viewsted_hendrix

Hi-Fi was one of my hobbies I had a complete set of Leak separates that was bloody expensive but awesome sounding back then some 40 odd years ago, the only part of my system that wasn't manufactured by Leak was an Akai 4 speed reel to reel.

Alas that's all a distant fond memory now.

The Lady of the house on seeing one of my Company's retirement gifts a pair of wireless Bose headphones asked if she could try them out, she tried them out and I never got them back so I purchased myself a pair of £200.00 + Sennheiser wireless headphones.

Now the two of us walk round the house in a lonely state of daily lock down with our respective 'cans' on in a single world of virtual Tubular Bells.

What a strange world.

"Careful, careful, careful with that axe, Eugene."

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Any Hi-fi geeks out there on 23:06 - Nov 20 with 418 viewsBklynRanger

That's a strong image Ted. Not a bad one either in a lot of ways, as long as you don't stray into each other and cross polarities.

Does introduce the headphone thing - that's unfortunately the best solution these days. Can crank the bejesus out of it.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024