Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
QPR at Brentford - will show where we are? 14:17 - Nov 25 with 7365 viewsGreenbay

Where are we at the moment?
Brentford is the litmus paper test.
We seem to be improving in fits and starts.
The long term looks bright (but no BOS it seems) with all those youngsters.
Second half against Watford, first half against Rotherham - outstanding.
We need 90 minutes from everyone - fitness crucial but difficult with two games per week.

Long term (2/3 years) what have we got?
Well we have at least six players, some with long term contracts, that can improve to top 6 Championship level or even higher.
Dieng, age 26, contract expires June 2024
Kakay, 23, June 2024
Hamaleinen, 23, June 2024
Chair, 23, June 2023
Willock, 22, June 2023
BOS, 22, (on his way out!), June 2021

Then we have the possibles that may improve and have long term contracts:-
Dickie, 24, June 2024
Dykes, 25, June 2024
Masterson, 22, June 2023
and of course Amos, 23, June 2023, when he hopefully returns.

Then we have the solids - the glue - the experience required
Kane, Cameron, Barbet, Ball (whose only 25), Carroll and Adomah;

Then we have the untried
Thomas, 23, June 2023
Bettache, 20, June 2023
Alfa, 21, June 2023
Kelman, 19, June 2023

Question over
Bonne, 25, June 2023

So Warbs - he's doing a great job IMO - we need a good CB in January transfer window.
Keep 90% of the team together for 2 years and we'll be challenging inside the top six.
What do you think?
QPR at Brentford - will show where we are? on 09:16 - Nov 26 with 1528 viewsdublinr

QPR at Brentford - will show where we are? on 21:16 - Nov 25 by CiderwithRsie

Well, this might be down to my age too, but dislike for Chelsea was never about how often we played them, it's because they've always been obnoxious, starting from being created as a money-making scheme, going on to being supported by neanderthals, and finishing with being leaders in making top-flight English football about money instead of football (and coincidentally helping assorted gangsters launder their cash).

It's also about whether you have to put up with their gobby fans the next day and frankly Brentford fans aren't that easy to find.

Fulham or Brentford just aren't that loathsome however often we play them or how close we are to them. In fact I loathe Man United, Liverpool and a few others more than I do Brentford.

Agree 100%. Chelsea are loathsome, beating them is a special pleasure. There's nothing to dislike about Brentford really. If they weren't our neighbours we wouldn't particularly notice them.

QPR at Brentford - will show where we are? on 09:38 - Nov 26 with 1489 viewsTheChef

Not bovvered.

Anyway, it's their Cup Final.

Cheers,
Troy Deeney

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

QPR at Brentford - will show where we are? on 09:46 - Nov 26 with 1474 viewsdm97

QPR at Brentford - will show where we are? on 21:16 - Nov 25 by CiderwithRsie

Well, this might be down to my age too, but dislike for Chelsea was never about how often we played them, it's because they've always been obnoxious, starting from being created as a money-making scheme, going on to being supported by neanderthals, and finishing with being leaders in making top-flight English football about money instead of football (and coincidentally helping assorted gangsters launder their cash).

It's also about whether you have to put up with their gobby fans the next day and frankly Brentford fans aren't that easy to find.

Fulham or Brentford just aren't that loathsome however often we play them or how close we are to them. In fact I loathe Man United, Liverpool and a few others more than I do Brentford.

True, although I find that description of Ch***** indicative of 80% of the modern premier league team. Suppose that's what I am getting at really - my dislike for Brentford is borne out of their relative similarity to us as oppossed to the elitism of Ch***** Man Utd Liv and so on.

I suppose that incites two reactions, your hatred of those obnoxious clubs or my apathy stemming from the fact that they essentially play a different sport to us.

Agree to disagree etc
[Post edited 26 Nov 2020 9:49]
QPR at Brentford - will show where we are? on 09:55 - Nov 26 with 1456 viewsMick_S

QPR at Brentford - will show where we are? on 09:46 - Nov 26 by dm97

True, although I find that description of Ch***** indicative of 80% of the modern premier league team. Suppose that's what I am getting at really - my dislike for Brentford is borne out of their relative similarity to us as oppossed to the elitism of Ch***** Man Utd Liv and so on.

I suppose that incites two reactions, your hatred of those obnoxious clubs or my apathy stemming from the fact that they essentially play a different sport to us.

Agree to disagree etc
[Post edited 26 Nov 2020 9:49]

Thing is dm, new Brentford are becoming a bit too big for their boots. I think a lot of us admire the business model, or whatever it's called, but there is a bit too much noise coming from a lot of their support, players and manager. And the other bloke.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

QPR at Brentford - will show where we are? on 10:18 - Nov 26 with 1418 viewsdm97

QPR at Brentford - will show where we are? on 09:55 - Nov 26 by Mick_S

Thing is dm, new Brentford are becoming a bit too big for their boots. I think a lot of us admire the business model, or whatever it's called, but there is a bit too much noise coming from a lot of their support, players and manager. And the other bloke.

Totally agree Mick, especially that announcer tool. Their arrogance is, unlike (unfortunately) the elite obnoxious clubs mentioned above, utterly delusional
QPR at Brentford - will show where we are? on 10:39 - Nov 26 with 1391 viewsfrancisbowles

QPR at Brentford - will show where we are? on 09:55 - Nov 26 by Mick_S

Very true Mick S. I have always liked Brentford, used to go as a young kid in the 60s but this modern version is a bit odious.
QPR at Brentford - will show where we are? on 12:33 - Nov 26 with 1305 viewsPinnerPaul

QPR at Brentford - will show where we are? on 21:56 - Nov 25 by joe90

Should be a good game Friday. It'll be a tough test at the end of a busy week. A few thoughts:

Will fitness be an issue?

Will Brentford suit our style of play?

After our tense finish aginst Rotherham how will we see out the game should we be ahead?

As for fitness, Brentford played on Tuesday as well, so we can't play that card, although MW probably will!
QPR at Brentford - will show where we are? on 12:51 - Nov 26 with 1280 viewsParkRoyalR

QPR at Brentford - will show where we are? on 10:18 - Nov 26 by dm97

Totally agree Mick, especially that announcer tool. Their arrogance is, unlike (unfortunately) the elite obnoxious clubs mentioned above, utterly delusional

That jobsworth PA Announcer, is not only a complete bullshitter, preaching to the New Bees how he saved Brentford from selling themselves to us but completely lacks a sense of humour and any dignity.

When some of their fans joked about him falling for that 'Hugh Janus' wind-up the other week,

He responded saying 'I thought he may have been Samantha Janus's brother, and was just being the 'consummate professional' (err 'that lot from Shepherds Bush') and oh don't be unkind as after that I announced my Brother-in-Law has just passed away.....

How low can you go to play that sympathy card. What a complete nonce.
Login to get fewer ads

QPR at Brentford - will show where we are? on 12:52 - Nov 26 with 1277 viewsMyke

It's a good post Greenbay, with lots of detail. But ultimately I disagree that any one game is an 'indicator' of progress. Particularly this season with the extra unpredictability of no crowds and the fact that it is a new ground for them, and how inconsistent we are, due largely to inexperience. If we win then are we suddenly 'promotion material'? Or if we lose comfortably is this a huge regressive step? They beat us quite comfortably last year, particularly away, but in the end we had a very solid season, with clear improvements on the previous one. Personally I would prefer to wait until the end of the season to pass judgement on progress or not. Higher than 13th, with less goals conceded and a couple of younger players progressed developmentally and I will be satisfied that we are heading in the right direction.
QPR at Brentford - will show where we are? on 13:05 - Nov 26 with 1260 viewsEsox_Lucius

One thing that hasn't been factored in to the OP is that Friday is my birthday and QPR have a real habit of losing, occasionally 4-0, on 27th November. I have some lovely memories of a 40th Birthday cake in the style of an excellently executed Guinness home short with 40 as the number. The 4-0 defeat at Ewood that afternoon resulted in everybody and their dog commenting variations on "Why did you put todays score on your cake".
Due to this unfortunate affliction, Friday's game will have absolutely no bearing on the teams future performance. It is one of those doomed games for reasons beyond our control.
*Edit. The only game we have played against Brentford on Nov 27 resulted in a 2-2 draw so there is a faint glimmer of hope.
[Post edited 26 Nov 2020 13:39]

The grass is always greener.

QPR at Brentford - will show where we are? on 13:19 - Nov 26 with 1216 viewstimcocking

QPR at Brentford - will show where we are? on 08:56 - Nov 26 by enfieldargh

Greenbay, I dont think you ever told us your favourite cheese?

Coming from Green Bay you can have 11 favourites

But being a Yank, it'll be 11 horrendous varieties of cheese-like stuff ahem
QPR at Brentford - will show where we are? on 13:59 - Nov 26 with 1183 viewsBrianMcCarthy

“The boys are being tested as we speak” is vintage Warbs. Every pre-match interview without fail. It allows him to dodge the upcoming team news, and it always makes me chuckle.

If a journo rang up Warbs at 3 a.m. on a random night in the middle of the off-season and blurted out "Any injury news?" he'd blurt right back "They boys are being tested as we speak".

https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/its-emergency-ward-10-qpr-have-injury-concer

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

QPR at Brentford - will show where we are? on 15:39 - Nov 26 with 1114 viewsGreenbay

QPR at Brentford - will show where we are? on 13:19 - Nov 26 by timcocking

But being a Yank, it'll be 11 horrendous varieties of cheese-like stuff ahem

Hi Enfield and Tim,
Not a Yank - London lad - South Africa Road stand.
Favourite cheese - swiss cheese, camembert and Le Brie President sold in Tesco's!!
But best ice-cream in the world is mint chocolate chip made by Wisconsin's Cedar Crest.
If QPR beat Brentford then - although logistically difficult - I'll arrange to send some to Warbs.
QPR at Brentford - will show where we are? on 16:03 - Nov 26 with 1084 viewsTheChef

QPR at Brentford - will show where we are? on 13:59 - Nov 26 by BrianMcCarthy

“The boys are being tested as we speak” is vintage Warbs. Every pre-match interview without fail. It allows him to dodge the upcoming team news, and it always makes me chuckle.

If a journo rang up Warbs at 3 a.m. on a random night in the middle of the off-season and blurted out "Any injury news?" he'd blurt right back "They boys are being tested as we speak".

https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/its-emergency-ward-10-qpr-have-injury-concer

Had no idea Masterson has a broken nose.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

QPR at Brentford - will show where we are? on 16:03 - Nov 26 with 1084 viewsGreenbay

QPR at Brentford - will show where we are? on 12:52 - Nov 26 by Myke

It's a good post Greenbay, with lots of detail. But ultimately I disagree that any one game is an 'indicator' of progress. Particularly this season with the extra unpredictability of no crowds and the fact that it is a new ground for them, and how inconsistent we are, due largely to inexperience. If we win then are we suddenly 'promotion material'? Or if we lose comfortably is this a huge regressive step? They beat us quite comfortably last year, particularly away, but in the end we had a very solid season, with clear improvements on the previous one. Personally I would prefer to wait until the end of the season to pass judgement on progress or not. Higher than 13th, with less goals conceded and a couple of younger players progressed developmentally and I will be satisfied that we are heading in the right direction.

Myke - excellent points and I agree with all of it.
A thoughtful consideration of where we are.
But it will be an indication of where we are at THAT moment - against a very good team.
This follows the very uplifting two halves of success against Watford and Rotherham.
Regardless of the result - it's how we play individually and as a squad of course.
Then we take into account the rest of my post - the young squad we have and the length of their contracts allowing Warbs at least two years to develop something impressive.
It's like a graph - hopefully - gently sloping upwards!
As you say "heading in the right direction"
QPR at Brentford - will show where we are? on 17:38 - Nov 26 with 1032 viewsfrancisbowles

QPR at Brentford - will show where we are? on 16:03 - Nov 26 by TheChef

Had no idea Masterson has a broken nose.

Not exactly a surprise after his impersonation of Captain Blackadder trying to get out of going over the top.
QPR at Brentford - will show where we are? on 23:00 - Nov 28 with 844 viewsCiderwithRsie

Thought it worth resurrecting this.

Answer seems to be: better than last year, quite a lot better than the year before, still short of where we want to be, short of where we could be with this squad.

Hoping we'll have made some progress on the last one by the time of the return fixture in Feb.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024