Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
QPR - why only a one half team? 22:06 - Nov 27 with 1822 viewsGreenbay

Warbs always says - as everyone does - matches are defined by fine margins.
Against Brentford this was so true.

1. Sorenson should have been sent off in the first half - as last player fouling Dykes.
2. Dykes with Chair free - missed a golden chance to make it 2-1.
3. And as usual we cannot defend from set pieces - again.
I'm a fan of Hamalainen but why was he defending against Toney?
4. And please let Carroll with his educated left foot take the corners instead of Chair.

Why do we only play one half of great football - certainly in the last 3 matches?
Is it lack of fitness? It seems so. And if so - why?
At this level these players should be able to do the full 90 minutes.
Am I missing something? Can someone explain?

The positives
1. The first half - excellent.
2. Dickie was outstanding and Barbet was good.
3. Willock did 70 mins instead of 60 - that's a good sign.
4. BOS as always speed, strength and great cross for Dykes goal.
5. Chair more consistent these days - so nicely balanced.

The negatives.
1. Fitness - is it? Suggested above. When that goes everything goes.
2. We're back to conceding 2 goals a match
3. I really like Warbs attitude of 'free flowing football'.
But as we've said for such a long time - look at the stats - we are the worst in the Championship again for defending set-pieces, corners, and headers and second worst for crosses.
Can someone tell me why?

All that lovely football undone by these negatives.
So frustrating.
But when they play well in three halves in the last three matches - they are enjoyable to watch.

QPR - why only a one half team? on 22:18 - Nov 27 with 1747 viewsWegerles_Stairs

I don't think it's fitness, more a losing attitude. They wanted it more second half and came out with a different mindset from the first one. We need to get nastier and more clinical - how many set pieces did we have compared with them? We did play great in the first half but the second half display is in retrospect unsurprising. It's what we do.
QPR - why only a one half team? on 22:25 - Nov 27 with 1707 viewsHunterhoop

Unfortunately I think it’s Warburton being out thought.

We are regularly the best team in the first half.

Oppo regularly makes 1 or more changes at HT. (Double subs from Rotherham and Brentford alone this week)

Oppo immediately look better and score in the first 20 of the second half (Cov and Brentford spring to mind obviously in terms of changing the flow so obviously).

We end up taking a loss my a draw or a draw not a win.

I know our resources are limited but we have to have a plan b to counter with.
QPR - why only a one half team? on 22:34 - Nov 27 with 1679 viewsHastings_Hoops

On defending set pieces... When I was at school, I was always taught to mark players ‘goal side’. Our defenders never mark players ‘goal side’. Why is this?!
QPR - why only a one half team? on 22:35 - Nov 27 with 1675 viewsParkRoyalR

Great post, some really good observations, we do seem to tire and maybe our bench strength and where their fitness levels are was the difference tonite.
QPR - why only a one half team? on 22:41 - Nov 27 with 1653 viewsbosh67

They also have a £5m striker who's on fire and the rub of the green on decisions, just. The problem is we aren't a bad team but we don't learn lessons. It's really simple. Tonie was always going to win this game so stop him at all costs. We didn't. Defend set pieces - same mistakes every time. Take your chances, we don't take enough, yet. Concentrate and believe. We do it for one half but then switch off and don't adapt to other team changing things at half time. That's a management issue and Warburton needs to address that. On the other hand despite having, to my mind, a slightly weaker and less experienced squad than last year, we aren't bad. In fact, if we can at least believe and concentrate we may actually be in the top half of this division come the end of the season. Cut and paste the same mistakes and we won't be.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

QPR - why only a one half team? on 22:48 - Nov 27 with 1627 viewsOldPedro

QPR - why only a one half team? on 22:41 - Nov 27 by bosh67

They also have a £5m striker who's on fire and the rub of the green on decisions, just. The problem is we aren't a bad team but we don't learn lessons. It's really simple. Tonie was always going to win this game so stop him at all costs. We didn't. Defend set pieces - same mistakes every time. Take your chances, we don't take enough, yet. Concentrate and believe. We do it for one half but then switch off and don't adapt to other team changing things at half time. That's a management issue and Warburton needs to address that. On the other hand despite having, to my mind, a slightly weaker and less experienced squad than last year, we aren't bad. In fact, if we can at least believe and concentrate we may actually be in the top half of this division come the end of the season. Cut and paste the same mistakes and we won't be.

Think they got more than the rub of the green on decisions - definite red card for the foul on Dykes. Toney kicked out at Niko first half - should have been a yellow. He then took out Dickie on a couple of occasions - again should have been yellows. Kane gets a booking for gabbing Fosu - correct decision. Later on, BOS is marked by two men - one grabs him with two hands while other player nicks the ball - not even a foul given.

Looked like Jansen took out Dykes off the ball a couple of times, but Sky didn't bother showing them again although the commentator mumbled something about Jansen 'being involved' whilst laughing.

Bl00dy annoying!!!

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

QPR - why only a one half team? on 22:51 - Nov 27 with 1609 viewsTopCat34

We've got enough going forward to be a decent team, and I think enough to finish mid table this year which is good for a strange season, but we're absolutely woeful at the back and we have been for a year and half now. We'll not go anywhere while that continues
QPR - why only a one half team? on 22:54 - Nov 27 with 1598 viewsbosh67

QPR - why only a one half team? on 22:51 - Nov 27 by TopCat34

We've got enough going forward to be a decent team, and I think enough to finish mid table this year which is good for a strange season, but we're absolutely woeful at the back and we have been for a year and half now. We'll not go anywhere while that continues

We're very slow and quite static across the back. There's no pace and we don't get to the ball quick enough. It is a problem.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Login to get fewer ads

QPR - why only a one half team? on 22:54 - Nov 27 with 1597 viewsHunterhoop

QPR - why only a one half team? on 22:41 - Nov 27 by bosh67

I agree with most of that, Bosh. I think most fans do.

My issue is, fine, give ourselves the excuse of resources, etc, when we narrowly lose out to a team I the top half, but it works both ways. Barnsley? Coventry? That Rotherham second half?

Giving ourselves leeway and the benefit of the doubt is all well and good, but only if we makecc vs sure we win/dominate the lesser sides. But we don’t.

That means we MUST set higher standards and higher demands results wise for ourselves against the top half.

Patting ourselves on the back for performances against Bournemouth, Watford and Brentford, is no longer enough. We shouldn’t be doing it.
QPR - why only a one half team? on 12:25 - Nov 28 with 1370 viewsGreenbay

Some great posts here from everyone.
Anyone else?
QPR - why only a one half team? on 12:53 - Nov 28 with 1336 viewsfrancisbowles

QPR - why only a one half team? on 22:34 - Nov 27 by Hastings_Hoops

On defending set pieces... When I was at school, I was always taught to mark players ‘goal side’. Our defenders never mark players ‘goal side’. Why is this?!

Because the offside rule has change and players now deliberately stand in an offside position and then move back at the last moment or stay there but don't become active. (which would have been offside in the past). Defenders try and hold a line.

Last night it was a little bit of lack of strength and experience that caught Niko out. It is also difficult as the attacker often moves first, which is why you see so much holding and pushing before kicks are taken, to try and stop the runs.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024