Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The BBC and the wokes 12:03 - Nov 29 with 4188 viewswelwynranger

A commentator on local radio was at the Lincoln v Swindon match when two opposing players squared up after a tackle.
He described it as "Handbags".
Complaints were made so the powers that be sacked him for inflamitary comments.
Although he pointed out that is a common phrase in football for many years.
Also it is listed in the Oxford English Dictionary as a minor skirmish .
Who are these people that complain about this.
Very soon it will be impossible to say anything at all.
The world is going mad and very soft.
God help my grandkids what sort of world will they grow up in.
The BBC and the wokes on 12:04 - Nov 29 with 2987 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Have you got a link to this?
The BBC and the wokes on 12:21 - Nov 29 with 2943 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Ok found some myself.

1) He wasn’t sacked. He’s suspended until January.

2) He made three separate comments including ‘handbags’, ‘I think the referee's wife's in’, and ‘Being a bit of a drama queen... he'd have been better wearing a skirt’ in reference to a player.

3) No mention of how many complaints were received, or if there were any.

I agree that it seems like a over the top reaction from the BBC, but do these facts affect you anger about it? This whole culture war of ‘Wokes’ v ‘Cancelled’ is a front for the Alt Right to try and divide people. People are angry and scared enough right now without them stirring shit up.

Just my take on it. Hope he’s back in the post soon.
[Post edited 29 Nov 2020 12:29]
The BBC and the wokes on 12:22 - Nov 29 with 2936 viewsnix

https://www.sportbible.com/football/football-news-bbc-pundit-suspended-for-label
The BBC and the wokes on 12:23 - Nov 29 with 2930 viewsWatford_Ranger

The BBC and the wokes on 12:21 - Nov 29 by BazzaInTheLoft

Ok found some myself.

1) He wasn’t sacked. He’s suspended until January.

2) He made three separate comments including ‘handbags’, ‘I think the referee's wife's in’, and ‘Being a bit of a drama queen... he'd have been better wearing a skirt’ in reference to a player.

3) No mention of how many complaints were received, or if there were any.

I agree that it seems like a over the top reaction from the BBC, but do these facts affect you anger about it? This whole culture war of ‘Wokes’ v ‘Cancelled’ is a front for the Alt Right to try and divide people. People are angry and scared enough right now without them stirring shit up.

Just my take on it. Hope he’s back in the post soon.
[Post edited 29 Nov 2020 12:29]

Indeed. The fact it’s reported as just the “handbags” quote is entirely designed to enrage the “it’ll be illegal soon to be a white Englishman” brigade. It’s boring.
The BBC and the wokes on 12:31 - Nov 29 with 2893 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

The BBC and the wokes on 12:23 - Nov 29 by Watford_Ranger

Indeed. The fact it’s reported as just the “handbags” quote is entirely designed to enrage the “it’ll be illegal soon to be a white Englishman” brigade. It’s boring.

It’s incredibly dangerous. We’re not dealing with truth anymore.

I know it’s the Guardian, which grates on some including me, but I think this covers a lot of it

https://www.theguardian.com/society/shortcuts/2020/jan/21/how-the-word-woke-was-
[Post edited 29 Nov 2020 12:32]
The BBC and the wokes on 12:41 - Nov 29 with 2871 viewsStanisgod

Sounds like my type of commentator. 🤐

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

The BBC and the wokes on 12:50 - Nov 29 with 2852 viewskensalriser

If you can't commentate on the game without using embarrassing and crass comments you're probably in the wrong job.

Interesting to compare the 'world's gone mad why is everyone offended all the time' narrative to the reactions here every time QPR is deemed to have been slighted by an external agency.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

The BBC and the wokes on 12:53 - Nov 29 with 2848 viewsAntti_Heinola

Reminds me of an idiot behind us at KPFS a couple of years back. Ref gave a dubious foul as a player went down. Bloke behind us shouted, 'Come on ref it's a man's game, not a...' pause as people look at him and he glances at his young daughter and begins flailing for a suitable way to finish his sentence. In the end, not wanting to hurt his daughter's feelings by saying 'girl's game, he mumbles, 'poof's game.' Bravo.
I was quite pleased at the withering looks, sighs, and shaking of heads he received from all around us, as well as people openly laughing at his idiocy.

Bare bones.

Login to get fewer ads

The BBC and the wokes on 13:07 - Nov 29 with 2793 viewsGuppy

woke - what i done this morning after sleeping
snowflake - an iced shape that falls in winter time in Britain
ream - bore a hole to a fine limit
etc etc these new meanings of words that have been in the dictionary for years just pee me off i f you want a word make a new one
The BBC and the wokes on 13:23 - Nov 29 with 2732 viewsSharpy36

How do we explain this one away ?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-55086165
[Post edited 29 Nov 2020 13:31]

'You didn't know that was wrong, but now you do. If you do it again, I'll know you are doing it on purpose.'

The BBC and the wokes on 13:41 - Nov 29 with 2702 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

The BBC and the wokes on 13:23 - Nov 29 by Sharpy36

How do we explain this one away ?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-55086165
[Post edited 29 Nov 2020 13:31]

‘Two viewers complained’

Hardly a Tsunami of ‘Woke’ culture is it? Why did you think of the bit when you watched it originally?
The BBC and the wokes on 13:54 - Nov 29 with 2675 viewsBrianMcCarthy

The BBC and the wokes on 12:53 - Nov 29 by Antti_Heinola

Reminds me of an idiot behind us at KPFS a couple of years back. Ref gave a dubious foul as a player went down. Bloke behind us shouted, 'Come on ref it's a man's game, not a...' pause as people look at him and he glances at his young daughter and begins flailing for a suitable way to finish his sentence. In the end, not wanting to hurt his daughter's feelings by saying 'girl's game, he mumbles, 'poof's game.' Bravo.
I was quite pleased at the withering looks, sighs, and shaking of heads he received from all around us, as well as people openly laughing at his idiocy.

Brilliant!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

The BBC and the wokes on 13:55 - Nov 29 with 2648 viewsSharpy36

I`ve not seen the clip in question, not a fan.

My point being is that it now takes just 2 people to complain to have comedy removed or censored. Do you think that maybe those 2 still laughed along at other parts of the routine ?

'You didn't know that was wrong, but now you do. If you do it again, I'll know you are doing it on purpose.'

The BBC and the wokes on 14:06 - Nov 29 with 2629 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

The BBC and the wokes on 13:55 - Nov 29 by Sharpy36

I`ve not seen the clip in question, not a fan.

My point being is that it now takes just 2 people to complain to have comedy removed or censored. Do you think that maybe those 2 still laughed along at other parts of the routine ?

If you haven’t seen it how can you possibly be sure it isn’t worthy of censure?
The BBC and the wokes on 14:14 - Nov 29 with 2604 viewsGloucs_R

So are we allowed to say handbags and drama queen anymore then???

Poll: Warburton, What's next?

The BBC and the wokes on 14:17 - Nov 29 with 2599 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I'm outta here...

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

The BBC and the wokes on 14:19 - Nov 29 with 2591 viewsDorse

I was hugely offended by the BBC show Ru Paul's Drag Race. Turns out that pretty much all the women on the show were actually men dressed up! Why, in 2020, the BBC can't cast a woman to play a woman's part is beyond me.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

The BBC and the wokes on 14:19 - Nov 29 with 2589 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

The BBC and the wokes on 14:14 - Nov 29 by Gloucs_R

So are we allowed to say handbags and drama queen anymore then???

Yes you are 100% allowed to say it. You just did.
The BBC and the wokes on 14:34 - Nov 29 with 2541 viewsSharpy36

The BBC and the wokes on 14:06 - Nov 29 by BazzaInTheLoft

If you haven’t seen it how can you possibly be sure it isn’t worthy of censure?

You`re missing the point.
It has nothing to do with if i saw the clip or not, it`s the fact that of all the views the clip got, which i presume is in the 6 digit region, 2 people were affended, and the bbc choose to censore it. The program in question first aired in 2014 so what has changed in the previous 6 years that the minority is now a majority ?
[Post edited 29 Nov 2020 14:36]

The BBC and the wokes on 14:52 - Nov 29 with 2504 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

The BBC and the wokes on 14:34 - Nov 29 by Sharpy36

You`re missing the point.
It has nothing to do with if i saw the clip or not, it`s the fact that of all the views the clip got, which i presume is in the 6 digit region, 2 people were affended, and the bbc choose to censore it. The program in question first aired in 2014 so what has changed in the previous 6 years that the minority is now a majority ?
[Post edited 29 Nov 2020 14:36]

I’m not missing the point at all. I see tons of edgy stuff on the BBC. Have you ever seen Frankie Boyle’s New World Order? Totally explicit and anti PC. Gets by fine without edit.

Let’s assume you saw it, and still feel the BBC made the wrong decision. So what? It’s a editorial decision on one small segment on one pretty obscure comedy. It’s hardly a cultural revolution is it or an indicator of a huge shift towards censorship.

A right to say what you want, or a right to offend still remains. A right to offend doesn’t mean a right to a platform by the way.

For what it’s worth, I think the BBC could do with being edgier and less strict with their editing but let’s not pretend it’s a indication of something nefarious. People have been whining about the BBC since the days of Mary Whitehouse. They caved in to her a lot more than they do nowadays.
The BBC and the wokes on 15:01 - Nov 29 with 2481 viewsdistortR

The BBC and the wokes on 13:07 - Nov 29 by Guppy

woke - what i done this morning after sleeping
snowflake - an iced shape that falls in winter time in Britain
ream - bore a hole to a fine limit
etc etc these new meanings of words that have been in the dictionary for years just pee me off i f you want a word make a new one

i sometimes think there's an element of cultural snobbishness in it - i don't know what people are talking about at times.

Still think that identity politics is a distraction from the real issues - increasing poverty and ecological collapse. So much easier to be seen to be doing something, i suppose.

But i am in a particularly grouchy mood today.
The BBC and the wokes on 15:06 - Nov 29 with 2460 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

The BBC and the wokes on 15:01 - Nov 29 by distortR

i sometimes think there's an element of cultural snobbishness in it - i don't know what people are talking about at times.

Still think that identity politics is a distraction from the real issues - increasing poverty and ecological collapse. So much easier to be seen to be doing something, i suppose.

But i am in a particularly grouchy mood today.

Cannot agree with this more, except the last sentence : )
The BBC and the wokes on 19:16 - Nov 29 with 2256 viewsStanisgod

The BBC and the wokes on 12:53 - Nov 29 by Antti_Heinola

I was caught up in the moment a few seasons ago while in the paddock, which I don't normally go in, when an opposing player went down like he'd been shot and said get up you big girl!
Mild for me but so I thought, polite. My god, some woman turned round and gave me right pasting, I may as well have said get up you c#nt, I would have been better off. Jesus get a life.

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

The BBC and the wokes on 19:23 - Nov 29 with 2236 viewsqpr_1968

The BBC and the wokes on 19:16 - Nov 29 by Stanisgod

I was caught up in the moment a few seasons ago while in the paddock, which I don't normally go in, when an opposing player went down like he'd been shot and said get up you big girl!
Mild for me but so I thought, polite. My god, some woman turned round and gave me right pasting, I may as well have said get up you c#nt, I would have been better off. Jesus get a life.

or as del boy would say, "get up you old tart".

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

The BBC and the wokes on 11:46 - Nov 30 with 1885 viewsrobith

These days, you get put in prison, just for saying your English, these days
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024