Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Question, for Upside Down People 16:00 - Dec 20 with 1468 viewsBoston

Why do NZ clubs play under licence from Australia?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wellington_Phoenix_FC

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Question, for Upside Down People on 16:09 - Dec 20 with 1453 viewsQPR_John

I assume because it competes in the Australian A-League,
Question, for Upside Down People on 16:39 - Dec 20 with 1421 viewsBucksRanger

I see Tomer Hemed is part of the Wellington Phoenix squad.
Question, for Upside Down People on 16:54 - Dec 20 with 1406 viewsBoston

Question, for Upside Down People on 16:39 - Dec 20 by BucksRanger

That's why I wondered about the Aussie bit, not realizing the league they played in wasn't NZ.

Question, for Upside Down People on 17:09 - Dec 20 with 1396 viewsstowmarketrange

Question, for Upside Down People on 16:54 - Dec 20 by Boston

That's why I wondered about the Aussie bit, not realizing the league they played in wasn't NZ.

Wellington to Perth is what you call a proper away day.
Question, for Upside Down People on 17:13 - Dec 20 with 1394 viewsBoston

Question, for Upside Down People on 17:09 - Dec 20 by stowmarketrange

Wellington to Perth is what you call a proper away day.

...away week, shirley!

Question, for Upside Down People on 18:18 - Dec 20 with 1363 viewsKiwi76

The A league is a big step up from NZ domestic comp & offers pathway to major leagues in Europe. Best Wgtn player of recent seasons signed for Bayern Munich - Sarpreet Singh, now on loan in div 2.
NZ has teams in football, league & basketball leagues in Aust - even won the basketball for a few seasons.
Perth trip is massive one but Sydney to Auckland is closer than Sydney to Perth.
Question, for Upside Down People on 18:21 - Dec 20 with 1358 viewsdistortR

Question, for Upside Down People on 18:18 - Dec 20 by Kiwi76

The A league is a big step up from NZ domestic comp & offers pathway to major leagues in Europe. Best Wgtn player of recent seasons signed for Bayern Munich - Sarpreet Singh, now on loan in div 2.
NZ has teams in football, league & basketball leagues in Aust - even won the basketball for a few seasons.
Perth trip is massive one but Sydney to Auckland is closer than Sydney to Perth.

Which Perth?!
Question, for Upside Down People on 19:05 - Dec 20 with 1315 viewsBoston

Sydney FC plays in Paddington, should we follow them by default?

Login to get fewer ads

Question, for Upside Down People on 19:33 - Dec 20 with 1303 viewsozranger

Question, for Upside Down People on 19:05 - Dec 20 by Boston

Sydney FC plays in Paddington, should we follow them by default?

Actually, they don't. They play at Kogarah Oval while the government spend oodles of money on re-building the "Sydney Football Stadium". And that is actually in Moore Park and not Paddington.

So, to answer your question.. best we not.

Also, to add to my Kiwi brother, the Phoenix are currently playing in Wollongong while this COVID is on and not in NZ. They also, strangely, tend to have a bigger number of young Aussies playing for them than Kiwis. Mind you, with the latest outbreak in Sydney, they and Newcastle may be the only NSW teams to play when the league gets going again in a few days time.
Question, for Upside Down People on 20:02 - Dec 20 with 1284 viewsstowmarketrange

Question, for Upside Down People on 19:33 - Dec 20 by ozranger

Actually, they don't. They play at Kogarah Oval while the government spend oodles of money on re-building the "Sydney Football Stadium". And that is actually in Moore Park and not Paddington.

So, to answer your question.. best we not.

Also, to add to my Kiwi brother, the Phoenix are currently playing in Wollongong while this COVID is on and not in NZ. They also, strangely, tend to have a bigger number of young Aussies playing for them than Kiwis. Mind you, with the latest outbreak in Sydney, they and Newcastle may be the only NSW teams to play when the league gets going again in a few days time.

That is the beauty of some of the locations in Sydney and Melbourne.Everything is so close together that you can visit different sporting venues very easily.
Especially Melbourne.When I got there a few days before the Ashes test in 2017,I had a walk along the river to the MCG and the tennis arena,and they were next to each other.We also went to see the Melbourne derby at the football opposite.
Question, for Upside Down People on 21:57 - Dec 20 with 1233 viewsMrSheen

Extra complication, as far as FIFA is concerned, NZ is in Oceania, Australia is in Asia. Apparently the Asian Federation wanted the A-League to kick out Wellington, because, straight lines.
Question, for Upside Down People on 04:07 - Dec 21 with 1175 viewszizoustainrod

Question, for Upside Down People on 16:39 - Dec 20 by BucksRanger

Frightened the beejeebas out of me when I heard the Phoenix had signed him. Remembering all those matches he didn't turn up for the Rs. Perhaps this will be more his level. Bit warmer in the winter too.
Question, for Upside Down People on 06:44 - Dec 21 with 1145 viewsdistortR

Question, for Upside Down People on 21:57 - Dec 20 by MrSheen

Extra complication, as far as FIFA is concerned, NZ is in Oceania, Australia is in Asia. Apparently the Asian Federation wanted the A-League to kick out Wellington, because, straight lines.

The Asian Dub Foundation want Swansea and Cardiff kicked out of the championship for similar reasons. At this stage, they don't take Wrexham seriously.
Question, for Upside Down People on 08:34 - Dec 21 with 1115 viewsHoopsie

If I am not wrong, Wellington Phoenix does not compete in any domestic competition in NZL, i think it is a club founded basically to play in Australian league and cup competition, as is its predecessor Auckland Kingz / New Zealand Knights / Football Kingz. I don't think they can qualify for any Asian Club competition being "foreign" and "Oceania"

There is a club called Team Wellington FC that participates in NZL - not related

Poll: Welcome to QPR Cifuentes! Are we happy?

Question, for Upside Down People on 10:51 - Dec 21 with 1053 viewsMrSheen

Question, for Upside Down People on 08:34 - Dec 21 by Hoopsie

If I am not wrong, Wellington Phoenix does not compete in any domestic competition in NZL, i think it is a club founded basically to play in Australian league and cup competition, as is its predecessor Auckland Kingz / New Zealand Knights / Football Kingz. I don't think they can qualify for any Asian Club competition being "foreign" and "Oceania"

There is a club called Team Wellington FC that participates in NZL - not related

That’s right, the World Club Championship generally boasts the second best team in NZ as Oceania’s representative. Auckland City were supposed to be Qatar last month. Even if the Phoenix won the A League they wouldn’t be allowed into the Asian Champions League.
Question, for Upside Down People on 12:56 - Dec 21 with 1028 viewsozranger

Question, for Upside Down People on 08:34 - Dec 21 by Hoopsie

I wish people would stop making silly, uneducated comments. Wellington Phoenix are in the top NZ football competition. My Kiwi friends must be rolling their eyes!

https://www.nzfootball.co.nz/COMPETITIONS/Football/ISPS-Handa-Mens-Premiership

Ok, it is their youth/reserves who are in NZ and cannot get to Wollongong to join the 1st team, but this team represents the Phoenix and not some other entity. If they were to win the League, then the Phoenix would be the NZ representative in the Oceania playoff for the CWC.
Question, for Upside Down People on 20:41 - Dec 21 with 981 viewsHoopsie

Question, for Upside Down People on 12:56 - Dec 21 by ozranger

I wish people would stop making silly, uneducated comments. Wellington Phoenix are in the top NZ football competition. My Kiwi friends must be rolling their eyes!

https://www.nzfootball.co.nz/COMPETITIONS/Football/ISPS-Handa-Mens-Premiership

Ok, it is their youth/reserves who are in NZ and cannot get to Wollongong to join the 1st team, but this team represents the Phoenix and not some other entity. If they were to win the League, then the Phoenix would be the NZ representative in the Oceania playoff for the CWC.

I wish people don't be so salty...which part of my comment is silly?

1. Wellington Phoenix does not compete in any domestic competition in NZL - CORRECT - - it is THEIR YOUTH TEAM that competes, which is verified by you

2. i think it is a club founded basically to play in Australian league and cup competition, as is its predecessor Auckland Kingz / New Zealand Knights / Football Kingz - CORRECT

3. I don't think they can qualify for any Asian Club competition being "foreign" and "Oceania" - CORRECT. They were allowed till end of 2011 after that no

4. There is a club called Team Wellington FC that participates in NZL - not related - CORRECT Also

Each statement is correct, except I didn't mention their youth/reserves team because that is basically..... a reserve/youth/trialist team. Don't roll you eyes till they fall out.

Poll: Welcome to QPR Cifuentes! Are we happy?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024