Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
In Ainsworth's Defence 01:32 - Dec 22 with 1645 viewstimcocking

Not making a case for him with us, but i've read a lot of unkind comments on what a boring, direct manager he supposedly is (words like dinosaur have been used).

If you say so. I don't know really, haven't watched his team much. With a budget 'significantly lower' than every other team in the Championship, though, it's hardly a surprise if that's how he's going about it. If you've got the worst squad, it stands to reason you're going to set up to prioritise a clean sheet and then just lump it up there to get what you can at the other end. It's generally eminently sensible in that position. I bet he doesn't play three holding midfielders at least.

There's no reason to suppose that's all he'd be trying with a larger budget. Nobody other than Tony Pulis and Sam Allardyce actively want to play sh!t football. Ainsworth was the very antithesis of a boring player after all.

It's the hair dye that would be the deal breaker for me, though. Never trust a fella who dyes his hair.

Ps I'm also not so completely convinced that old skool football, which to me would involve wingers, two up front, high tempo, lots of crosses actually is more boring than watching two teams passing back and forth in front of their own 'keeper with barely a shot all game anyway. That's how Rangers used to play, we were never boring.
In Ainsworth's Defence on 01:53 - Dec 22 with 1613 viewsNov77

Agree with your last paragraph, direct football doesn’t mean hoofing it in the air. Think of gerry’s goal against Liverpool, 4 passes, one end of the field to the other, straight through the middle, ball never left the ground. Stan’s goal at wolves, parkes to Thomas, after burners on, pass to Bowles, round the keeper, thank you very much.
THAT is football.

Nothing more boring than watching players endlessly passing the ball back and forth across the half way line, in the entire history of football, nothing interesting has ever happened in the middle third of the pitch,and yet that is where the majority of modern football seems to take place.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

In Ainsworth's Defence on 07:29 - Dec 22 with 1444 viewsdaveB

They were very direct and wouldn't be that keen on seeing QPR play like that but wouldn't knock Ainsworth. They looked a very well drilled side, everyone knew their jobs and they created some good chances, they should have won the game.

To get results at this level with David Wheeler in central midfield is an incredible effort.
In Ainsworth's Defence on 09:41 - Dec 22 with 1327 viewskernowhoop

In Ainsworth's Defence on 01:53 - Dec 22 by Nov77

Agree with your last paragraph, direct football doesn’t mean hoofing it in the air. Think of gerry’s goal against Liverpool, 4 passes, one end of the field to the other, straight through the middle, ball never left the ground. Stan’s goal at wolves, parkes to Thomas, after burners on, pass to Bowles, round the keeper, thank you very much.
THAT is football.

Nothing more boring than watching players endlessly passing the ball back and forth across the half way line, in the entire history of football, nothing interesting has ever happened in the middle third of the pitch,and yet that is where the majority of modern football seems to take place.

Inclined to agree, but didn't Beckham once score from roughly that part of the pitch?
In Ainsworth's Defence on 09:47 - Dec 22 with 1311 viewsessextaxiboy

I think he uses his experience under Ollie .

The players obviously love playing for him and he is a bit of a maverick character.

He is getting the very best from a band of ordinary players . We know that only takes you so far though ..
In Ainsworth's Defence on 09:53 - Dec 22 with 1294 viewsW7Ranger

In Ainsworth's Defence on 09:41 - Dec 22 by kernowhoop

Inclined to agree, but didn't Beckham once score from roughly that part of the pitch?

And Michael Robinson.

And Matt Phillips.
In Ainsworth's Defence on 11:03 - Dec 22 with 1215 viewsBrianWilson

It's a purple rinse. Surely has the cash to get it done properly.

"a diseased bunch of mofos if there ever was one, their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons." - Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

In Ainsworth's Defence on 11:54 - Dec 22 with 1154 viewsngbqpr

Hard to judge him - it's his first job and he's cut his cloth accordingly.

Can't assume he's a Pulis for life. I'd always thought of Warnock as long balls & $hithousery, but he looked at our squad and decided to build a team & a system around Adel & Ale.

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

In Ainsworth's Defence on 12:06 - Dec 22 with 1142 viewsbosh67

Given what he has achieved as a virgin manager his success has been extraordinary.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Login to get fewer ads

In Ainsworth's Defence on 12:20 - Dec 22 with 1123 viewsNov77

In Ainsworth's Defence on 09:41 - Dec 22 by kernowhoop

Yeah, but that was a hoof!

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

In Ainsworth's Defence on 12:42 - Dec 22 with 1082 viewsAntti_Heinola

I don't want him anywhere near Rangers.

Not because of his football (I think he'd be fine, but I'm far from convinced he'd do any better than the last few managers we've had), but because within 18 months the same old people would be out for blood (as they always are) and it'll end awfully.

No thanks. Love Gaz too much for that.

Bare bones.

In Ainsworth's Defence on 12:45 - Dec 22 with 1078 viewsdaveB

In Ainsworth's Defence on 12:42 - Dec 22 by Antti_Heinola

I don't want him anywhere near Rangers.

Not because of his football (I think he'd be fine, but I'm far from convinced he'd do any better than the last few managers we've had), but because within 18 months the same old people would be out for blood (as they always are) and it'll end awfully.

No thanks. Love Gaz too much for that.

That was my main concern with Holloway coming back and Warnock as well
In Ainsworth's Defence on 12:53 - Dec 22 with 1067 viewswestberksr

He's done an amazing job for Wycombe & equally they have stood by him. They have a mutual relationship that has worked brilliantly.

I've absolutely no comment on how they play as what he has achieved is commendable with the budget and facilities available for a first time manager.; I doubt any Wycombe fans are complaining....... unlike us!

he may have found his niche, but at some point may well get a higher pressure job with a bigger budget. Then he may have a bucket full of ideas about a more expansive game & only then can he be judged.
In Ainsworth's Defence on 15:06 - Dec 22 with 978 viewslondonscottish

His barnet looked ridiculous.

My 16 year old was laughing every time there was a close up of him.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

In Ainsworth's Defence on 15:17 - Dec 22 with 964 viewskensalriser

Can't disagree about the hair dye.

I always thought Fabio Capello was a complete wånker with his terrible dye job and of course he confirmed it emphatically with his flounce after Terry was stripped of the captaincy.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

In Ainsworth's Defence on 16:29 - Dec 22 with 884 viewsnightwish

Before the QPR game at Wycombe the music they played was from Twisted Sister,Guns N Roses and The Cult and being a Rock/Metal fan myself if Gareth Ainsworth was manager at least we will have some decent music to listen to before matches at Loftus Rd lol
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024