Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Niko 07:41 - Dec 22 with 7606 viewsGloucs_R

Got rinsed on the WLS podcast.

Why did we give him a 4 year contract?
Did we really think a player who had been very average at lower league clubs could step up and replace Manning?
Or do you think MW didn't judge the Wallace situation very well?

Hard to tell what he's like on TV as I can't see his off the ball movement, those who have seen him.... Is there any hope? Were the panel being harsh on him?
[Post edited 22 Dec 2020 7:49]

Poll: Are we staying up?

Niko on 13:36 - Dec 22 with 1623 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Niko on 13:13 - Dec 22 by traininvain

I’ve been saying this for a while, I think you might get away with starting one of Niko and Kakay but not both of them. They’re too inexperienced and the jury is out on whether they’re good enough. It’s too risky to play them both.

Ideally, you're right TIV. Fair point.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Niko on 13:55 - Dec 22 with 1595 viewsNortholt_Rs

Niko on 07:59 - Dec 22 by collegeranger

Harsh - I first saw him against Blackpool away under McLaren and he was way out of his depth even against a League One side.

The two live games I saw this season however he has come on a long way and he was OK.

Compared to Calamity Kane on the other side he is far better. IMHO he needs to go on a "Sir Les" high protein diet and get in the gym and do weights as he looks a bit lightweight. However as with Kane and Kakay we are asking these players to be/have
1. attacking midfield wingers
2. deliver a good cross
3. be a great defender
4. have a V8 engine to get up and down.
They simply don't have all 4 - none of them!

Niko has 3 and 4! Kakay has 3 and 4 and Kane has 2 only.

Not sure Wallace has any of them!
[Post edited 22 Dec 2020 8:01]

And if they had all 4 of those attributes I doubt they would be playing for QPR today....

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

Niko on 14:13 - Dec 22 with 1568 viewsMyke

I’ve been saying this for a while, I think you might get away with starting one of Niko and Kakay but not both of them. They’re too inexperienced and the jury is out on whether they’re good enough. It’s too risky to play them both.

Correct. The issue is not just with Kakay and Niko but Masterson, Dickie and Dieng are newbies at this level too. Wallace too, is a rookie in terms of championship. Kane and Barbet our only experienced championship defenders (although you wouldn't know it with some of decisions).How was that allowed to happen? Not going to bang the Maning drum again, but they had a couple of weeks to organise a replacement for him, once they had decided on their stance. I think Warburton was a bit blinkered by his hopes for Wallace. Maybe 3/4 years ago when he was injury free and playing regularly, but he is never going to make that step up now. They had all last season to assess Keane, they knew what his strengths and weaknesses were. If Rangel hadn't got injured, was he plan A for this season? Kakay is a good lad, more physical than Niko,but a long way from the finished article.
The way I see it, the only two areas the team has improved from last season are in goals and CB, The full backs, defensive midfielders, strikers and wingers have all regressed. So these four areas need to be addressed next month.
Niko on 14:25 - Dec 22 with 1555 viewsjoe90

I thought that was unnecessarily harsh on Niko. There was no original or thoughtful insight on our current situation. Possibly the worst 30mins of QPR related chat I've heard in a long time.
Niko on 14:35 - Dec 22 with 1536 viewsrsonist

Niko on 13:08 - Dec 22 by robith

Haven't listened (indeed didn't even know that they have one) but ever since we sacked his brother struggle to listen to Gallen on anything to do with the club

Maybe I'm just losing my innocence in my [checks notes] late 30s but it's been pretty clear recently that several club legends are not particularly nice people.
Niko on 15:11 - Dec 22 with 1493 viewsnix

The problem is that the alternative is Wallace and Kane, both of whom are unconvincing. I just like to see Kane play with more conviction. And Wallace has had too many brain farts, giving away needless pens, getting red cards, completely leaving someone unmarked on the far post. It's the reliable, steady pro that we seem so poor at recruiting and have been for years. Someone who works hard, does the simple things well and has decent positioning. They don't have to sweep the ball forward, or have amazing vision. In Kane and Kakay's defence, it really doesn't help playing with BOS at the moment. It reminds me of Furlong being hung out to dry by SWP against Palace a few years ago, it makes your fullback look pants.

I agree it makes sense giving your cheaper players with promise longer contracts. Our old mistake was giving expensive players with no interest in playing for us ridiculous contracts.

And I also agree with Robith that Gallen is always putting the boot in since his brother was pushed out.
Niko on 15:14 - Dec 22 with 1488 viewskensalriser

Niko on 13:14 - Dec 22 by bosh67

I believe the fee was about £700K plus add ons that could total £2m over the contract.

From the same piece linked to above.

'a deal worth up to £2million'.

So after promotion when Bonne completes 15 starts in the PL for us Charlton will get the balance.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Niko on 16:05 - Dec 22 with 1432 viewsdenhamhoop2

Niko on 13:55 - Dec 22 by Northolt_Rs

And if they had all 4 of those attributes I doubt they would be playing for QPR today....

I think we have only ever had 5 full backs Clement Bardsley Gillard Wilson and Sansom who had all 4 attributes and 2 of them were not always highly rated by our fans
Login to get fewer ads

Niko on 16:08 - Dec 22 with 1421 viewsLongsufferingR

Niko on 16:05 - Dec 22 by denhamhoop2

I think we have only ever had 5 full backs Clement Bardsley Gillard Wilson and Sansom who had all 4 attributes and 2 of them were not always highly rated by our fans

Also, Wilson was bought as a midfielder and only became a left back through necessity.
Niko on 16:16 - Dec 22 with 1404 viewsEsox_Lucius

Taiwo might have fitted the bill if we had had him for longer.

The grass is always greener.

Niko on 16:18 - Dec 22 with 1397 viewsdenhamhoop2

Niko on 16:16 - Dec 22 by Esox_Lucius

Taiwo might have fitted the bill if we had had him for longer.

Loved him especially for his rugby tackle v Swansea in the dying embers of a comfortable home win
Niko on 17:18 - Dec 22 with 1331 viewsCheshireR

I can't help but feel that Wallace is the real problem here and not Niko.
It would be interesting to know how much he is costing a week compared to the wages of both Hamalainen and previously Manning.
On the pitch the guy has offered little or nothing over the past 18 months. He won't get any better - but Niko can.
Give him the rinsing and not the youngster.
Niko on 17:30 - Dec 22 with 1304 viewsDiscodroids

I'm up for giving the lad a chance. I never really notice him when he plays, don't know if that's good or bad.

He need's building up , a physique like Charles Hawtrey on Bengal Famine mixture won't take the punishment dished up by the Championship.

Having said that, I declared Kakay as the next David Bardsley after a couple of good games.

Sad to say that Wallace is about as fit for purpose as a leather lace up condom to prevent AIDS transmission on the set of Dirk Digglers 1970's VHS skinflick fu ckfest, 'Babyface'.

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Niko on 17:31 - Dec 22 with 1303 viewsqprd

Niko on 17:18 - Dec 22 by CheshireR

I can't help but feel that Wallace is the real problem here and not Niko.
It would be interesting to know how much he is costing a week compared to the wages of both Hamalainen and previously Manning.
On the pitch the guy has offered little or nothing over the past 18 months. He won't get any better - but Niko can.
Give him the rinsing and not the youngster.

agreed with a lot of this

i dont think niko has been that bad... if you were to ask me to state the top 5 problems with our team, he would not be on the list

what do people expect from the lad?

if you want to blame anyone, blame warbs/les for their moronic handling of manning
Niko on 17:34 - Dec 22 with 1302 viewsngbqpr

I like Kakay and Hamma. Genuinely high hopes for them both.

They're not Wilson & Bardsley - but we're currently a skint lower-mid Championship team.

Did Neill or Dawes look like the finished article in their first seasons?

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Niko on 17:50 - Dec 22 with 1275 viewsDiscodroids

Loved Neil and dawes to bits.

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Niko on 18:01 - Dec 22 with 1251 viewsFrankRightguard

We have got four back up full backs, not one of them would be first choice at many other championship clubs.
Niko on 18:17 - Dec 22 with 1213 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Good to see the support on here for Niko.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Niko on 19:09 - Dec 22 with 1163 viewsAntti_Heinola

Niko on 14:35 - Dec 22 by rsonist

Maybe I'm just losing my innocence in my [checks notes] late 30s but it's been pretty clear recently that several club legends are not particularly nice people.

yep, i typed out a similar thing but couldn't bring myself to post it. Got some thoughts/feelings on one or two legends that i woudn't feel confident airing here tbh.

Bare bones.

Niko on 19:16 - Dec 22 with 1149 viewsNorthernr

Niko is not my favourite, I think he's way too placid, meek and weak to make it. I don't really rate Kakay but at least when he tackles the geezer stays tackled.

However, as I've said throughout the last few years as these various younger players have come through, look at the amount of senior appearances they've made. I think you see serious jumps in progress as theyt get 50, 100, 150 apps under their belts and I try and judge them according to that.

Eze the most stark example of this, look at the enormous jumps in maturity, physicality, game management, intelligence as he passed those milestones. You'd struggle to find a good word said about him on here around the 40 game mark - all the lazy comments, don't see what he does etc. By 120-odd he was a £20m player and now he's moving towards past 150 at Palace he looks like he might push on and be a 40-50m England player. He's currently started 122 senior games with 26 sub apps.

V v extreme example admitedly, but we're seeing it with Chair as well IMO, now on 75 starts and 23 sub apps including 16 at Stevenage in League One. Look how much stronger, more consistent, more effective he is for us now than he was at 30-40 games, think about that progress being repeated again as he gets to 120-130.

The kids we're relying on atm...

Kakay 62 senior apps (24 in Scotland, 7 for Chesterfield)
Masterson - 16 starts, 3 sub apps, in his life.
Niko - 57 apps, although only 12 starts and 5 subs in the Championship, majority of his are with Kilmarnock
Willock - 13 starts, 18 subs, if you don't count reserve grade at Benfica
Niko on 19:21 - Dec 22 with 1142 viewsrsonist

Niko on 19:09 - Dec 22 by Antti_Heinola

yep, i typed out a similar thing but couldn't bring myself to post it. Got some thoughts/feelings on one or two legends that i woudn't feel confident airing here tbh.

I fully expect it to be thrown back in my face at a conveniently safe distance on some future other thread, probably during some kneejerk guff about needing orrible winnerz with ambishun like Keith Stevens cough cough err Dezza sorry.
Niko on 19:23 - Dec 22 with 1134 viewsqprxtc

You can blow out a candle
But you can't blow out a fire
Once the flames begin to catch
The wind will blow it higher
Yihla Moja, Yihla Moja
The man is dead
The man is dead
Niko on 19:44 - Dec 22 with 1099 viewsqprd

Niko on 19:16 - Dec 22 by Northernr

Niko is not my favourite, I think he's way too placid, meek and weak to make it. I don't really rate Kakay but at least when he tackles the geezer stays tackled.

However, as I've said throughout the last few years as these various younger players have come through, look at the amount of senior appearances they've made. I think you see serious jumps in progress as theyt get 50, 100, 150 apps under their belts and I try and judge them according to that.

Eze the most stark example of this, look at the enormous jumps in maturity, physicality, game management, intelligence as he passed those milestones. You'd struggle to find a good word said about him on here around the 40 game mark - all the lazy comments, don't see what he does etc. By 120-odd he was a £20m player and now he's moving towards past 150 at Palace he looks like he might push on and be a 40-50m England player. He's currently started 122 senior games with 26 sub apps.

V v extreme example admitedly, but we're seeing it with Chair as well IMO, now on 75 starts and 23 sub apps including 16 at Stevenage in League One. Look how much stronger, more consistent, more effective he is for us now than he was at 30-40 games, think about that progress being repeated again as he gets to 120-130.

Niko - 57 apps, although only 12 starts and 5 subs in the Championship, majority of his are with Kilmarnock

also compare to rob dickie... barely older than hamalainen, masterson and kakay but already has 120 EFL appearances and another 50 non league to his name

and hes prob been amongst our top 3 players this season alongside chair and dieng
Niko on 21:00 - Dec 22 with 1007 viewstraininvain

Good post. Chair’s improving before our eyes at the moment. One of few positives in the team.

Warburton’s probably still got his job because of his fairly good record with developing our younger players.
Niko on 21:21 - Dec 22 with 968 viewscaliforniahoop

Spot on, I see both Kakay and Niko as players with good potential, I think with experience, they will hit their straps
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024