Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
January transfers thread 15:07 - Dec 23 with 64397 viewsNorthernr

Troy Parrott being recalled from his loan at Millwall ands sent out somewhere else.

Have we called in a Spurs favour?

Lay off that wine Clive.
January transfers thread on 11:40 - Jan 12 with 3007 viewsMyke

January transfers thread on 10:42 - Jan 12 by DejR_vu

The problem we appear to have is that we don't look like we've got anyone at the club capable of spotting these players until it's obvious to everyone else. The recruitment since we've started down the current path has been pretty woeful. There's been the odd success but a lot more failures.

Typically, under the current regime, having swung wildly from one strategy to another, we've settled on the buy low / sell high but haven't put the infrastructure in place to achieve it. Just saying we are going to do something doesn't mean we have a divine right to be good at it. We're competing against clubs who are far better at it than us, so we're always going to be at the back of the queue. We seem to be analogue in a digital world.

For this to work, we need all of the ingredients and we just don't have them:

1) Good recruitment - there are clubs doing a much better job so they are going to pick up the best prospects. So, we either miss out, end up paying over the odds for someone we could have had cheaper earlier, or end up sifting through the chaff and failing;
2) Development - if we can't get (1) right we're going to struggle here. We've had some success, Eze the obvious example, but I don't know if that's down to coaching, or experience (i.e. games) and a player's natural football intelligence allowing him to benefit from that experience.
3) Ability to extract maximum value - I firmly believe better run clubs than ours would get better fees if they were selling the same players. I don't buy into this guff about needing to be higher in the division. If you have a player that other clubs want they will pay for him if the club has someone capable in negotiating.

The club is owned by people who don't have a clue what they are doing. They eventually, belatedly, realised it (or just got bored) but only to the extent that they knew needed to get someone in who did have a clue. The problem is they don't have a clue how to find that person. So, you have incompetents appointing incompetents. With the possible exception of Lee Hoos, who have they appointed who's done a good job?

The owners have destroyed the club. The irony is that, having done so, we are now entirely reliant on them to survive.

Or on the other hand, perhaps it was ever thus? Maybe we, and every other fanbase in the country, thanks to the relentless 24/7 nature of social media,now have access to information that we are simply not meant to be privy to? Neatly packaged in hype, hysteria, rumour, counter rumour and misinformation of course. A classic example is that young fella, McNulty,coming back from Italy. As somebody said yesterday, it was headlined as if Ali was coming back. No disrespect to the kid, but it's simply not news, let alone worthy of a headline. As a result we are all knowledgeable about things we don't have a clue about.
We (me included) talk about 'blocking pathways' and 'academy products' and 'needing minutes', parroting what we hear. Not to mention formations: 3/5/1, 4/4/2 'Niko is too exposed as a wing back' blah, blah, blah, team selections etc, etc. It's all good fun and passes the time. But it's bollox. I'm an English teacher and would get pretty prickly if someone came in and told me how to do my job. What right have I to say Ferdinand or Warburton or whoever, don't know what they are doing? None at all. So sure, have a bit of fun with it, but pretend we are experts? I mean come on.
[Post edited 12 Jan 2021 11:43]
January transfers thread on 11:45 - Jan 12 with 2980 viewsPinnerPaul

'Good' and 'bad' signings - not uniquely QPR though is it?

Anyone care to name a single club who has ONLY signed stars OR duffers.
January transfers thread on 12:17 - Jan 12 with 2894 viewsDejR_vu

January transfers thread on 11:40 - Jan 12 by Myke

Or on the other hand, perhaps it was ever thus? Maybe we, and every other fanbase in the country, thanks to the relentless 24/7 nature of social media,now have access to information that we are simply not meant to be privy to? Neatly packaged in hype, hysteria, rumour, counter rumour and misinformation of course. A classic example is that young fella, McNulty,coming back from Italy. As somebody said yesterday, it was headlined as if Ali was coming back. No disrespect to the kid, but it's simply not news, let alone worthy of a headline. As a result we are all knowledgeable about things we don't have a clue about.
We (me included) talk about 'blocking pathways' and 'academy products' and 'needing minutes', parroting what we hear. Not to mention formations: 3/5/1, 4/4/2 'Niko is too exposed as a wing back' blah, blah, blah, team selections etc, etc. It's all good fun and passes the time. But it's bollox. I'm an English teacher and would get pretty prickly if someone came in and told me how to do my job. What right have I to say Ferdinand or Warburton or whoever, don't know what they are doing? None at all. So sure, have a bit of fun with it, but pretend we are experts? I mean come on.
[Post edited 12 Jan 2021 11:43]

Myke, "What right have I to say Ferdinand or Warburton or whoever, don't know what they are doing?"

In the last 10 years we've gone from the Premier League to the Championship where we sit 20th, 2 points off the relegation zone. We've spent somewhere between £0.5bn and £0.75bn doing it (becoming pariahs in the process) and received, as I understand it, a world record fine for 'breaches' (we ripped them them to shreds and set fire to them) of the rules.

The people who made all of these decisions are still here and appointed the current personnel. There is no doubt the people at the club making the decisions don't know what they are doing.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

January transfers thread on 12:43 - Jan 12 with 2816 viewsMyke

January transfers thread on 12:17 - Jan 12 by DejR_vu

Myke, "What right have I to say Ferdinand or Warburton or whoever, don't know what they are doing?"

In the last 10 years we've gone from the Premier League to the Championship where we sit 20th, 2 points off the relegation zone. We've spent somewhere between £0.5bn and £0.75bn doing it (becoming pariahs in the process) and received, as I understand it, a world record fine for 'breaches' (we ripped them them to shreds and set fire to them) of the rules.

The people who made all of these decisions are still here and appointed the current personnel. There is no doubt the people at the club making the decisions don't know what they are doing.

I get you DejR-vu and share your frustration. Although it is worth pointing out that we were a prem club for just a short period and we were pretty fukd before Fernandes arrived too. But my initial point (although I may have strayed a bit), was that we (and all clubs) have far more information regarding the internal running of clubs than ever before. Clubs have been fuking up since they were formed for a variety of reasons, incompetence, greed, bad judgement, bad luck etc and we, the fans had little or no knowledge of what went on behind the scenes. Now we have - although it is by no means all accurate- and Im just feel this makes us all 'experts' when in fact we are far from it. Not saying we are clueless, just that this is not our field, it's a hobby for us, not a career. If I have a referee query I can ask Pinner because he is qualified, I can give an opinion on the same incident but, while I know the basics, I am more likely to be influenced emotionally. It is the same with most aspects of the running of the club. We also have perceptions and often can't see past that. Hoos good, Fernandes bad for example, yet we wouldn't have a club without the latter.
January transfers thread on 12:57 - Jan 12 with 2787 viewsDejR_vu

January transfers thread on 12:43 - Jan 12 by Myke

I get you DejR-vu and share your frustration. Although it is worth pointing out that we were a prem club for just a short period and we were pretty fukd before Fernandes arrived too. But my initial point (although I may have strayed a bit), was that we (and all clubs) have far more information regarding the internal running of clubs than ever before. Clubs have been fuking up since they were formed for a variety of reasons, incompetence, greed, bad judgement, bad luck etc and we, the fans had little or no knowledge of what went on behind the scenes. Now we have - although it is by no means all accurate- and Im just feel this makes us all 'experts' when in fact we are far from it. Not saying we are clueless, just that this is not our field, it's a hobby for us, not a career. If I have a referee query I can ask Pinner because he is qualified, I can give an opinion on the same incident but, while I know the basics, I am more likely to be influenced emotionally. It is the same with most aspects of the running of the club. We also have perceptions and often can't see past that. Hoos good, Fernandes bad for example, yet we wouldn't have a club without the latter.

This is probably not the thread for this Myke so briefly, I agree that none of us are experts but, bar Hoos, there aren't, in my opinion, any at the club either.

On the Fernandes point, yes, agreed that we are in a position where we probably wouldn't have a club without him but only because he and the other owners have put us in that position. They have destroyed this club.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

January transfers thread on 13:30 - Jan 12 with 2691 viewsTheChef

Who's heading our scouting, and what's their background/experience?

It's difficult because in our current situation you almost need to get every signing right. I don't think we have done too badly (Dickie, Willock, Adomah to an extent), even Dykes and Bonne although they are struggling now I think they will come good.

We don't know all the deals that we miss out on, most likely due to finances/wages at the end of the day. But we still need to look like an attractive proposition to players (who also ideally need to be 'the right sort'), I'm not sure how well we sell ourselves in the club.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

January transfers thread on 13:46 - Jan 12 with 2622 viewsMyke

January transfers thread on 12:57 - Jan 12 by DejR_vu

This is probably not the thread for this Myke so briefly, I agree that none of us are experts but, bar Hoos, there aren't, in my opinion, any at the club either.

On the Fernandes point, yes, agreed that we are in a position where we probably wouldn't have a club without him but only because he and the other owners have put us in that position. They have destroyed this club.

You are still missing my main point, which is that we know too much- or at least we think we do, we certainly hear too much - about what goes on behind the scenes. These screw ups, as we perceive them, have been going on long before the internet was invented, at every club in the country.
January transfers thread on 14:04 - Jan 12 with 2577 viewsrsonist

That "destroyed the club" bit sounds really cool, keep doing it.
Login to get fewer ads

January transfers thread on 15:01 - Jan 12 with 2485 viewsdaveB

I do think it's worth pointing out that although it hasn't worked out I don't think it's a complete failure to get an Austin type in January and be looking at other areas as well.

When the window shut we were 9th in the table. Dykes and Bonne were both looking pretty good so although we had been in for a more experienced forward in Moore and Hugil the need to get one in on loan was less desperate then previous years. It seemed a calculated gamble to give these 2 a run until january when given the late start we'd still have 23/24 games left if it went tits up to improve the team short term.

Same with the left back situation, Niko had looked decent in those early games, i still don't think he's been that bad but he's not quite good enough for the way we want to play, it was a risk to give him a run of games and see if he was good enough, it hasn't been a fatal one.

Although results and some performances have been poor in recent months I don't think we are miles away from turning it around. Get these January additions right and we'll be looking at mid table again.
January transfers thread on 15:14 - Jan 12 with 2442 viewsMyke

January transfers thread on 15:01 - Jan 12 by daveB

I do think it's worth pointing out that although it hasn't worked out I don't think it's a complete failure to get an Austin type in January and be looking at other areas as well.

When the window shut we were 9th in the table. Dykes and Bonne were both looking pretty good so although we had been in for a more experienced forward in Moore and Hugil the need to get one in on loan was less desperate then previous years. It seemed a calculated gamble to give these 2 a run until january when given the late start we'd still have 23/24 games left if it went tits up to improve the team short term.

Same with the left back situation, Niko had looked decent in those early games, i still don't think he's been that bad but he's not quite good enough for the way we want to play, it was a risk to give him a run of games and see if he was good enough, it hasn't been a fatal one.

Although results and some performances have been poor in recent months I don't think we are miles away from turning it around. Get these January additions right and we'll be looking at mid table again.

Good post. Not even sure there was a loan option this year as the window 'slammed shut' later than usual.
January transfers thread on 15:17 - Jan 12 with 2430 viewsAshdown_Ranger

January transfers thread on 14:04 - Jan 12 by rsonist

That "destroyed the club" bit sounds really cool, keep doing it.

But they haven't.

They f*cked up royally for a few years, but instead of walking away and leaving us in the sh*t (like many football club owners), they covered massive losses and have continued to bankroll the club.

No club has any kind of divine right to have good owners and I think ours are better than most in terms of their support and integrity, if not always their decision-making.
January transfers thread on 15:32 - Jan 12 with 2354 views2Thomas2Bowles

I've heard we have signed a few balls.
FACT

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

January transfers thread on 15:33 - Jan 12 with 2345 views2Thomas2Bowles

January transfers thread on 15:32 - Jan 12 by 2Thomas2Bowles

I've heard we have signed a few balls.
FACT

and a couple of shirts.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

January transfers thread on 17:12 - Jan 12 with 2281 viewsJigsore

Jackson Irvine has moved on from Hull to Hibs. I knew he was a player Clive admired but I'm gutted we've missed out on him after seeing the Moe tattoo on his leg...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EritF3mXUAMkcvf?format=jpg&name=360x360

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

January transfers thread on 17:35 - Jan 12 with 2201 viewspaulparker

January transfers thread on 11:45 - Jan 12 by PinnerPaul

'Good' and 'bad' signings - not uniquely QPR though is it?

Anyone care to name a single club who has ONLY signed stars OR duffers.

I can only think of Sunderland who have made as many bad signings as us and look where they are

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

January transfers thread on 15:56 - Jan 13 with 2036 viewsHayesender

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/huddersfield-towns-a

Alex Pritchard linked. Don't know much about him

Poll: Shamima Beghum

January transfers thread on 16:04 - Jan 13 with 2000 viewsBrianMcCarthy

January transfers thread on 15:56 - Jan 13 by Hayesender

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/huddersfield-towns-a

Ex-Spurs, so could well be a 2+2 situation.

I think he's been decent when I've seen him. Creative player.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

January transfers thread on 16:05 - Jan 13 with 1989 viewsNorthernr

Looooooooooooooooooooong standing Warburton link with him, came out of his 'NextGen' thing that he did before Brentford.
January transfers thread on 16:18 - Jan 13 with 1900 viewshantssi

January transfers thread on 17:35 - Jan 12 by paulparker

I can only think of Sunderland who have made as many bad signings as us and look where they are

Forest?
Ipswich?
January transfers thread on 16:20 - Jan 13 with 1888 viewsWestbourneR

Seeing as Huddersfield spent £10 million on him not that long ago it's quite a decline from Pritchard.

When I've seen him play he is the kind of box to box mid we need in Amos's absence. He covers of lot of ground, sharp passer and shooter, spiky tackle. Not exceptional at anything but good at a lot of it. A Martin Rowlands type but not nearly as good, obviously.

Rowlands. Sigh. I miss Rowlands.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

January transfers thread on 16:40 - Jan 13 with 1842 viewsrsonist

January transfers thread on 16:20 - Jan 13 by WestbourneR

Seeing as Huddersfield spent £10 million on him not that long ago it's quite a decline from Pritchard.

When I've seen him play he is the kind of box to box mid we need in Amos's absence. He covers of lot of ground, sharp passer and shooter, spiky tackle. Not exceptional at anything but good at a lot of it. A Martin Rowlands type but not nearly as good, obviously.

Rowlands. Sigh. I miss Rowlands.

Has been more of a busy 10 than an 8 usually but yeah pretty much. Never really got going since leaving Spurs due to injuries.

Makes obvious sense to consider him for the sort of TLC we've given LTC but depends how much risk we'd need to take on contractually. Has been very well paid and fairly broken for a while now.
January transfers thread on 16:54 - Jan 13 with 1792 viewsaston_hoop

Jack Clarke going to Stoke on loan. They must have a huge squad by now

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

January transfers thread on 17:02 - Jan 13 with 1751 viewsqueensparker

He was absolute class at Brentford, saw him a few times that year. Busy attacking mid with a great pass on him, bit like Chair. Doesn't seem to have done much since mind you
January transfers thread on 17:03 - Jan 13 with 1744 viewsbosh67

January transfers thread on 16:54 - Jan 13 by aston_hoop

Jack Clarke going to Stoke on loan. They must have a huge squad by now

My Stoke mate said that Jordan Cousins has been their stand out player this season. Shame we never saw that player.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

January transfers thread on 17:28 - Jan 13 with 1663 viewsdenhamhoop2

Very good youngster at Spurs had a great loan spell at Brentford chose the money move to Norwich never really played if we can get him back to his Brentford level would be an excellent signing
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024