Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Y’know what I miss 14:44 - Dec 24 with 2226 viewsBoston

....from back in the day, Christmas Day in the pub. Hands in pockets you’d stroll around to the Norfolk Arms with a family member or two, maybe an in law and a neighbour in tow and enjoy a cracking couple of hours before heading back to dinner. All happily pissed, silly shows to watch in the evening(unless P.I.L were playing in Finsbury Park), looking forward to the following days game, hopefully a localish away fixture. Yes, lovely time.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Y’know what I miss on 15:21 - Dec 24 with 2137 viewsqpr_1968

back in the late 70's missed that christmas day pub crawl, on the latimer arms doorstep at 10 to 12, quick couple in there, say hello to everyone.
then up to the volunteer for another one, say hello to everyone.
then onto the pole for a couple, say hello.....
then finish up in the pav, managed to get a good few in there as last orders and kicking out time meant at least another 40 minutes.....so a good few pints in just over 2 hours 40 minutes.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Y’know what I miss on 15:22 - Dec 24 with 2133 viewsMrSheen

PIL played in Finsbury Park on Christmas Day? The Rainbow presumably, not outdoors.

I remember after learning to drive, my Mum sending me out to The Crown in Cricklewood to get my Dad out so we could have lunch. A few family men in hiding, and the rest the single men who hadn't gone back to Ireland and had no-one at home. Lots of singing and crying, Not a great Christmas memory!
Y’know what I miss on 15:27 - Dec 24 with 2122 viewsdanehoop

Coach and Horses in Ruislip, Christmas Day lunchtime for a few festive drinks with all of friends and their families, before each heading back to lunch at home. Was a tradition for years until I moved away in the early 2000's. Only just thought about it when this thread popped up.

Never knowingly understood

Y’know what I miss on 15:35 - Dec 24 with 2099 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Y’know what I miss on 15:22 - Dec 24 by MrSheen

PIL played in Finsbury Park on Christmas Day? The Rainbow presumably, not outdoors.

I remember after learning to drive, my Mum sending me out to The Crown in Cricklewood to get my Dad out so we could have lunch. A few family men in hiding, and the rest the single men who hadn't gone back to Ireland and had no-one at home. Lots of singing and crying, Not a great Christmas memory!

That Pub is fcking massive and was still full every Christmas!
Y’know what I miss on 16:00 - Dec 24 with 2050 viewspaulparker

Y’know what I miss on 15:27 - Dec 24 by danehoop

Coach and Horses in Ruislip, Christmas Day lunchtime for a few festive drinks with all of friends and their families, before each heading back to lunch at home. Was a tradition for years until I moved away in the early 2000's. Only just thought about it when this thread popped up.

That’s Ickenham isn’t it ?

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Y’know what I miss on 16:32 - Dec 24 with 2006 viewsMrSheen

Y’know what I miss on 15:35 - Dec 24 by BazzaInTheLoft

That Pub is fcking massive and was still full every Christmas!

He took some finding, certainly.

Nice piece about The Crown, with link to a Dexy's video filmed there in 1982. My parents ran a cafe round the corner in Chichele Road, and the band were in that morning and invited them to the filming. My sisters are in the front row about 2.30 in, with my Dad in the crowd a bit later.

https://blackcablondon.net/2013/02/21/cabbies-curios-the-crown-in-cricklewood/
[Post edited 24 Dec 2020 16:47]
Y’know what I miss on 16:44 - Dec 24 with 1991 viewsdanehoop

Y’know what I miss on 16:00 - Dec 24 by paulparker

That’s Ickenham isn’t it ?

Close enough. Opposite the White Bear (which was my local) on a mini roundabout, between West Ruislip and Ruislip. It was always an OK pub in the summer and a nice atmosphere at Christmas.

Y’know what I miss on 16:46 - Dec 24 with 1983 viewsSnipper

Back in the late 80s till late 90s there’d be loads of us in The Eagle in Ladbroke Grove. First drink on the house, and everybody in a good mood.
One year, I won the scratch off football card. A lovely result winning £20. Everybody said to buy a round with the winnings, and the bloody round came to £40.

Bah bloody humbug !!
Login to get fewer ads

Y’know what I miss on 17:06 - Dec 24 with 1937 viewsBrianMcCarthy

When we moved back to England from Ireland I was 15. On Christmas Day we came back from Mass and I was taking my shoes off and my Old Man says "put those back on, we're going for a pint".

"We're going where?"
I couldn't believe pubs were open on Christmas Day and thought "well, maybe this religion thing's ok after all".

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Y’know what I miss on 19:34 - Dec 24 with 1805 viewsBoston

Y’know what I miss on 15:22 - Dec 24 by MrSheen

Public Image Limited played their debut gig at the Rainbow on Dec 25th 1978. My dad gave myself, Cliff Timoney and Joe McBride a lift down, but with no transport that day we really didn't know nor care come to that, how we were getting home. In, when the doors opened, everyone was well shot by the time the support(only remember Linton Kwesi Johnson) had finished. A tense atmosphere down the front, they'd removed the seats for the gig, developed into heavy duty fighting when PiL came on. Lydon sung one song then started berating the audience for the aggro, but it didn't calm things down for long and, despite the security breaking things up (they didn't have the bottle to eject the skinheads who were the main cause of the problems), it continued through the rest of he show and on the street afterwards. Lost Clifford and Joseph in the melee and eventually ended up going home in a mini cab on my ownsome.
They played there again on Boxing Day, a much more peaceful outing I was informed.
[Post edited 24 Dec 2020 19:38]

Y’know what I miss on 19:58 - Dec 24 with 1773 viewsTripleR

Y’know what I miss on 16:44 - Dec 24 by danehoop

Close enough. Opposite the White Bear (which was my local) on a mini roundabout, between West Ruislip and Ruislip. It was always an OK pub in the summer and a nice atmosphere at Christmas.

The pub opposite The White Bear was/is The Orchard. The Coach & Horses is in Ickenham.
Y’know what I miss on 20:04 - Dec 24 with 1764 viewsJuzzie

Christmas Eve 1998..... at relatives in a quaint Kent village. Down the pub with my cousins and their friends, all of us getting merry. I ended up crashing on the sofa of one of the friends as it was too late to go to my gran and grandad’s who were a few streets away.
Got woke up at silly o’clock on Christmas morning as her Dad was finishing off his DIY bar.
Her mum made me scrambled egg and salmon on toast. Not quite sure what either parent made of this stranger on the sofa of all mornings!
Got back to my G&G (my mum was there too) and spent the whole day with a raging hangover and having to partake in festivities as other family & friends arrived when all i wanted to do was sleep. I’ve never wanted to sleep as much as I did that day! Finally was able to crash out at around 10pm. I was so happy.

Merry Christmas everyone
Y’know what I miss on 20:22 - Dec 24 with 1735 viewsdanehoop

Y’know what I miss on 19:58 - Dec 24 by TripleR

The pub opposite The White Bear was/is The Orchard. The Coach & Horses is in Ickenham.

You are right you know! Bloody hell, my memory is clearly melting. The coach was usually Boxing Day, the Orchard was Christmas Day. Like to think walking to the different pubs was decent exercise over the festive season, clearly I was very very drunk!

Y’know what I miss on 20:36 - Dec 24 with 1714 viewsTripleR

Y’know what I miss on 20:22 - Dec 24 by danehoop

You are right you know! Bloody hell, my memory is clearly melting. The coach was usually Boxing Day, the Orchard was Christmas Day. Like to think walking to the different pubs was decent exercise over the festive season, clearly I was very very drunk!

The faltering memory is probably due to too many birthdays, it is in my case.
The walk from the Orchard to the Coach would only be achievable if you stopped at the Soldiers Return for a livener
Y’know what I miss on 22:47 - Dec 24 with 1600 viewsdanehoop

Y’know what I miss on 20:36 - Dec 24 by TripleR

The faltering memory is probably due to too many birthdays, it is in my case.
The walk from the Orchard to the Coach would only be achievable if you stopped at the Soldiers Return for a livener

Just never really took to the Soldiers in the same way as the others. I used to play footie for a team based out the Coach so always had a soft spot. Used to drink in the Fox and Geese for a while, although that seemed to have changed into something trendy last time I drove past 3 months ago, it was always fairly decent pub. Forgot how much my social life seemed to revolve around 3 or 4 pubs within a mile or so walk of each other. I dread to think how much of my disposable wealth and brain cells were lost in such a relatively small area.

Y’know what I miss on 22:51 - Dec 24 with 1591 viewspaulparker

Y’know what I miss on 22:47 - Dec 24 by danehoop

Just never really took to the Soldiers in the same way as the others. I used to play footie for a team based out the Coach so always had a soft spot. Used to drink in the Fox and Geese for a while, although that seemed to have changed into something trendy last time I drove past 3 months ago, it was always fairly decent pub. Forgot how much my social life seemed to revolve around 3 or 4 pubs within a mile or so walk of each other. I dread to think how much of my disposable wealth and brain cells were lost in such a relatively small area.

My mum & and step dad used to run the plough & orchard back in the 90s
Used to go and drink in the fox & geese straight from school in the late eighties, those were the days

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Y’know what I miss on 23:22 - Dec 24 with 1556 viewsDiscodroids

I miss The old man east ham dave, holding court in sundry pubs across East Ham, Barking, Upton Park, Plaistow and ilford about dave dee dozy beaky mick and titch buying junior disprin off him for a white fiver, and how he taught ronnie laine the 12 string blues guitar and that long john baldry owes him royalties for the lyrics to 'Flying', which he wrote in the ruskin arms in the summer of '65 drinking newcastle brown with zoot money.

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Y’know what I miss on 23:50 - Dec 24 with 1538 viewspaulparker

Y’know what I miss on 23:22 - Dec 24 by Discodroids

I miss The old man east ham dave, holding court in sundry pubs across East Ham, Barking, Upton Park, Plaistow and ilford about dave dee dozy beaky mick and titch buying junior disprin off him for a white fiver, and how he taught ronnie laine the 12 string blues guitar and that long john baldry owes him royalties for the lyrics to 'Flying', which he wrote in the ruskin arms in the summer of '65 drinking newcastle brown with zoot money.

Sounds like my old grandad and his tales of decorating Harry roberts house before he was nicked and owing him 45.00 pound and him knocking Adam faith out because he was a better singer
Cherish the stories Glenn , you don’t get characters like that anymore

Y’know what I miss on 23:59 - Dec 24 with 1523 viewsMyke

Y’know what I miss on 17:06 - Dec 24 by BrianMcCarthy

When we moved back to England from Ireland I was 15. On Christmas Day we came back from Mass and I was taking my shoes off and my Old Man says "put those back on, we're going for a pint".

"We're going where?"
I couldn't believe pubs were open on Christmas Day and thought "well, maybe this religion thing's ok after all".

Hmm, your dad obviously knew the 'secret knock' to gain access. Xmas day and Good Friday were always 'dry' days until I discovered trains and later (when I could afford it) hotel residencies
Y’know what I miss on 00:19 - Dec 25 with 1514 viewsBoston

Y’know what I miss on 23:59 - Dec 24 by Myke

Hmm, your dad obviously knew the 'secret knock' to gain access. Xmas day and Good Friday were always 'dry' days until I discovered trains and later (when I could afford it) hotel residencies

England man, he means in England.

Y’know what I miss on 00:58 - Dec 25 with 1476 viewskarl

We used to be blessed with 7 pubs in Stromness but only the one opened on xmas day, usually about 3pm.
The Oakleigh (now a pretentious glorified B&B called The Orca, arses) was the jakeys place of choice where you had to peel your feet off the carpet if you stood still for more than a minute but a great place and small so didn't take many to get a party going.
Most memorable xmas day was coming in and Jock Davidson was standing naked at the bar, he'd been bet that he wouldn't take all of his clothes off by a couple of young loons who then ran through the building and chucked them out the toilet window onto the beach below, no worries for Jock, they broke first and went to get them as it wasn't a pretty sight😂(sadly all 3 of those are gone now)

That night got busier and brilliant fun with everyone singing and dancing to the juke box but all of a sudden the landlord switches it off and asks for quiet, the ceiling in basement below was cracking and they needed everyone to stand still while they put a few Akro props up downstairs to hold everything together!
Loved those days, a proper party atmosphere
Y’know what I miss on 13:35 - Dec 25 with 1265 viewshantssi

Used to be either the Blackbirds (now a block of flats) or The George which still isn’t too bad on the odd occasions I get in there.
Christmas Day was pack, lots of Irish back then, and was a brilliant atmosphere!
Y’know what I miss on 19:40 - Dec 26 with 1056 viewsBoston

Y’know what I miss on 13:35 - Dec 25 by hantssi

Used to be either the Blackbirds (now a block of flats) or The George which still isn’t too bad on the odd occasions I get in there.
Christmas Day was pack, lots of Irish back then, and was a brilliant atmosphere!

The Blackbirds...did you know Dave Nunney?

Y’know what I miss on 19:48 - Dec 26 with 1023 viewshantssi

Y’know what I miss on 19:40 - Dec 26 by Boston

The Blackbirds...did you know Dave Nunney?

Boston, sorry no.
Only went in there on the odd Sunday lunchtime with my dad and sometimes after work when I worked evenings in Safeway opposite.
The George was the main place I went with my dad or The Century with my mates.
Of all the pubs to have survived in the Wembley area the most surprising is the Torch, what a dump!
Y’know what I miss on 23:11 - Dec 26 with 846 viewslightwaterhoop

Every Christmas eve my Dad would come home from work and take me and my sisters to the off licence in North Pole Road where there was always a queue, to get the Xmas booze in. I could never understand why he left it until the last minute and why he didnt take the the car to save me and my sisters lugging loads of beer bottles home.It was only a couple of years ago at Xmas that my Mum said ' i used to get Dad to take you kids to the off licence so i could finish wrapping your presents'.That was one mystery of my childhood cleared up.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024