Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
RIP Tommy Docherty (n/t) 16:46 - Dec 31 with 4684 viewsJuzzie

RIP Tommy Docherty (n/t) on 16:49 - Dec 31 with 3486 viewsMrSheen

92! RIP, no angel but entertaining.
RIP Tommy Docherty (n/t) on 16:57 - Dec 31 with 3439 viewsloftus77

The Doc...Allen and Goddard, Bowles and Currie, loads of goals (7 against Burnley, 4 against Charlton, Fulham and West Ham 3-0s).

He had his critics, I know, but it was great fun while it lasted - an exciting free-scoring team.

RIP Tommy.
[Post edited 31 Dec 2020 16:57]
RIP Tommy Docherty (n/t) on 17:36 - Dec 31 with 3304 viewsNov77

RIP Tommy Docherty (n/t) on 16:57 - Dec 31 by loftus77

The Doc...Allen and Goddard, Bowles and Currie, loads of goals (7 against Burnley, 4 against Charlton, Fulham and West Ham 3-0s).

He had his critics, I know, but it was great fun while it lasted - an exciting free-scoring team.

RIP Tommy.

No doubt he had some great players at his disposal, arguably should have got us promoted with the quality he had available.
Had an affair with the physio’s wife at old Trafford, his sacking led to us losing Dave sexton and that led to the Sibley/Burtenshaw years
[Post edited 31 Dec 2020 17:48]

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

RIP Tommy Docherty (n/t) on 17:39 - Dec 31 with 3298 viewsCamberleyR

RIP Tommy.

I know The Doc wasn't to some people's tastes on here and some won't forgive him for selling Stan but he was the perfect antidote after the disastrous Burtenshaw tenure he replaced. As you say those first few months we played some great stuff with a relatively young team and were pretty free scoring. I've checked the stats and in a 13 game run from early September until early December we won nine and only lost once scoring 31 goals and actually briefly topped the table.
https://www.11v11.com/league-tables/league-division-two/30-november-1979/

Being a fairly young side it was probably asking too much to keep it going particularly as Tony Currie was in and out through injury at the start. Nevertheless we only finished a couple of wins away from getting promotion scoring 75 goals and it was probably only a sticky spell in December and January where we only won once that cost us.

He made some good signings as well during his spell: Currie, Hazell, Micklewhite, Wicks and gave debuts to Waddock and Neill who all made major contributions during the Venables era.

RIP Doc

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

RIP Tommy Docherty (n/t) on 17:43 - Dec 31 with 3270 viewsdenhamhoop2

Enjoyed watching his team play as he believed in wingers, scoring goals and entertaining supporters. Was very much like Warnock a Marmite character who divided opinion but obviously knew his football and was at his best with youngsters. As for his affair with United's physios wife it did lead to a marriage that lasted til death did part them.
RIP Tommy Docherty (n/t) on 17:49 - Dec 31 with 3245 viewsjohncharles

More clubs than Gary Player. That was his own joke. Love him or loath he was entertaining. RIP Doc

Strong and stable my arse.

RIP Tommy Docherty (n/t) on 17:55 - Dec 31 with 3213 viewsdachiltern

November 1968 - resigned after 28 days, wanted Bryan Tyler from Villa and John Gregory said no. Entertaining, opinionated, pain in the ... but loved the guy.
RIP Tommy Docherty (n/t) on 17:57 - Dec 31 with 3207 viewsflynnbo

He once said he got fired for falling in love.
He created new and exciting teams with Man Utd and with us (the second time around with us otherwise it would have been done with biblical aplomb the first time).
He maintained that the managers who replaced him always got the credit-perhaps with some truth.
Used to enjoy listening to "Jim and the Doc" on the radio back in the day when there were very few football programmes.
A brilliant after dinner speaker too.
RIP Tommy and thanks for the memories although not all of them!!
Login to get fewer ads

RIP Tommy Docherty (n/t) on 18:07 - Dec 31 with 3183 viewsDWQPR

Remember the club announcing his appointment in 1979 before the last game of the season against Ipswich when we was already relegated. It was a rearranged match after the official end of the season and we lost 4-0. Less than 10,000 bothered to turn up that Friday night. That close season saw the arrival of Chris Woods, David McLeary and Tony Currie, we also signed Bob Hazell and together with the likes of Clive Allen and Paul Goddard and Dean Neal and with the older head of Ian Gillard suddenly the new season was something to look forward to. First home game against Bristol Rovers we won 2-0 with Allen and Goddard both scoring worldies. Lost the next home game against Leicester 4-1 and then thumped Fulham 3-0 with Tony Currie scoring a 30 yarder. Certainly was a season of fun. Shame Stan was sold in the December. Docherty was sacked the following season then Gregory had a change of mind, reinstated him before sacking him again to make way for Terry Venables. Enjoyable times watching the R’s

RIP Doc.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

RIP Tommy Docherty (n/t) on 18:27 - Dec 31 with 3115 viewsngbqpr

RIP Tommy Docherty (n/t) on 18:07 - Dec 31 by DWQPR

Remember the club announcing his appointment in 1979 before the last game of the season against Ipswich when we was already relegated. It was a rearranged match after the official end of the season and we lost 4-0. Less than 10,000 bothered to turn up that Friday night. That close season saw the arrival of Chris Woods, David McLeary and Tony Currie, we also signed Bob Hazell and together with the likes of Clive Allen and Paul Goddard and Dean Neal and with the older head of Ian Gillard suddenly the new season was something to look forward to. First home game against Bristol Rovers we won 2-0 with Allen and Goddard both scoring worldies. Lost the next home game against Leicester 4-1 and then thumped Fulham 3-0 with Tony Currie scoring a 30 yarder. Certainly was a season of fun. Shame Stan was sold in the December. Docherty was sacked the following season then Gregory had a change of mind, reinstated him before sacking him again to make way for Terry Venables. Enjoyable times watching the R’s

RIP Doc.

My first year with a season ticket.

The team was great on its day, he lifted the post-relegation gloom , and as has been pointed out, did a lot of the groundwork for TV.

RIP Doc.

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

RIP Tommy Docherty (n/t) on 18:42 - Dec 31 with 3073 viewsMyke

RIP Doc - good memories
RIP Tommy Docherty (n/t) on 18:42 - Dec 31 with 3071 viewsBoston

My all time fav Doc quote....
I’ve always said there’s a place for the Press, it just hasn’t been dug yet.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

RIP Tommy Docherty (n/t) on 19:34 - Dec 31 with 2954 viewsPaddyhoops

RIP Tommy Docherty (n/t) on 18:42 - Dec 31 by Boston

My all time fav Doc quote....
I’ve always said there’s a place for the Press, it just hasn’t been dug yet.

RIP Tommy Doc.
"Leighton James is deceptively slow"
"I'll get this team out of the 2nd division. I did, into the 3rd"
RIP Tommy Docherty (n/t) on 20:19 - Dec 31 with 2859 viewsCiderwithRsie

RIP Tommy.

My first thoughts, too.

And never let it be forgotten that he began his managerial career by getting the South London W*****s relegated, which is worth the freedom of Loftus Road in itself.
RIP Tommy Docherty (n/t) on 20:35 - Dec 31 with 2828 viewsNed_Kennedys

RIP Tommy Docherty (n/t) on 18:07 - Dec 31 by DWQPR

RIP Doc.

The 1-4 to Leicester was one of my first games as a kid. Doc always loved bringing young players through and we were blessed to have Allen, Goddard etc but the downside was that older players like Stan were pushed out. Results were mixed and his tenure was of course overshadowed by Venables’s amazing era.

RIP Doc: one of our most charismatic managers and a real character.
RIP Tommy Docherty (n/t) on 21:26 - Dec 31 with 2755 views2Thomas2Bowles

RIP Tommy Docherty (n/t) on 20:35 - Dec 31 by Ned_Kennedys

The 1-4 to Leicester was one of my first games as a kid. Doc always loved bringing young players through and we were blessed to have Allen, Goddard etc but the downside was that older players like Stan were pushed out. Results were mixed and his tenure was of course overshadowed by Venables’s amazing era.

RIP Doc: one of our most charismatic managers and a real character.

Yes a real charismatic manager and a real character.

Unlike our current incumbent

R I P
[Post edited 31 Dec 2020 21:26]

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

RIP Tommy Docherty (n/t) on 21:44 - Dec 31 with 2717 viewsQPRSteve

Have fond memories of watching his team.

R.I.P. The Doc
RIP Tommy Docherty (n/t) on 22:07 - Dec 31 with 2665 viewszicoshoops

Jim Gregory call him into his office, and said.....

'I'm sorry Tom, but it's not working out.'

Tommy answered..
'You can't leave us now Jim, we need you.'

And Jim replied.......
'I'm not f**king leaving, you are.'

Rest In Peace
Sleep easy
RIP Tommy Docherty (n/t) on 22:18 - Dec 31 with 2628 viewsqprxtc

My first season going was 78/79.

In comparison 79/80 was like a crazy mad roundabout with no safety. Marvellous fun. One of my favourite seasons.

Gutted when he was sacked. Then a player revolt and he was back.

80/81 didn’t quite measure up but had its moments. Hot sacked again after a miserable 0-0 with the Os where Stan was booed.

Then came Terry.

RIP The Doc.
RIP Tommy Docherty (n/t) on 22:19 - Dec 31 with 2626 viewsmylot50years

Remember Oldham away he was in the dugout having a gargle from his hip flask 20 minutes in, we went on to lose 1-0 .
Like him or Loth him he was one of footballs great characters his type sadly missing from today's game.

RIP. The Doc.
RIP Tommy Docherty (n/t) on 23:02 - Dec 31 with 2555 viewslightwaterhoop

It was a real pleasure supporting Rangers in those days,i miss them.

RIP The Doc
RIP Tommy Docherty (n/t) on 11:00 - Jan 1 with 2359 viewsfrancisbowles

RIP Tommy Docherty (n/t) on 17:36 - Dec 31 by Nov77

No doubt he had some great players at his disposal, arguably should have got us promoted with the quality he had available.
Had an affair with the physio’s wife at old Trafford, his sacking led to us losing Dave sexton and that led to the Sibley/Burtenshaw years
[Post edited 31 Dec 2020 17:48]

Actually Sexton was going to leave anyway. He was lined up to be head coach at Arsenal under Terry Neil but changed his mind when Man U came in. Arsenal appointed Don Howe instead.

Docherty was always in the headlines. One of many in our rich tapestry of characters, good and bad, who have ensured that it has never been boring at the Rrrs.
RIP Tommy Docherty (n/t) on 12:03 - Jan 1 with 2298 viewsNorthantsHoop

Remember as a 16 year old starting to go regularly to Rangers during the 1979/80 season under Tommy Docherty. He brought in some great players Chris Woods, Steve Wickes and Tony Currie to name a few. Some great results and the partnership of Clive Allen and Paul Goddard was just brilliant. We were 2nd division but having Tommy Docherty meant we tended to get headlines a lot more regularly than these days.
RIP Tommy Docherty (n/t) on 12:11 - Jan 1 with 2277 viewsgobbles

RIP Tommy Docherty (n/t) on 17:39 - Dec 31 by CamberleyR

I know The Doc wasn't to some people's tastes on here and some won't forgive him for selling Stan but he was the perfect antidote after the disastrous Burtenshaw tenure he replaced. As you say those first few months we played some great stuff with a relatively young team and were pretty free scoring. I've checked the stats and in a 13 game run from early September until early December we won nine and only lost once scoring 31 goals and actually briefly topped the table.
https://www.11v11.com/league-tables/league-division-two/30-november-1979/

Being a fairly young side it was probably asking too much to keep it going particularly as Tony Currie was in and out through injury at the start. Nevertheless we only finished a couple of wins away from getting promotion scoring 75 goals and it was probably only a sticky spell in December and January where we only won once that cost us.

He made some good signings as well during his spell: Currie, Hazell, Micklewhite, Wicks and gave debuts to Waddock and Neill who all made major contributions during the Venables era.

RIP Doc

Did more than sell Stan, he pushed him out, made him train with the reserves and even took the number 10 shirt off him and gave it to Paul Goddard.
RIP Tommy Docherty (n/t) on 12:36 - Jan 1 with 2231 viewsDannyPaddox

RIP Tommy Docherty (n/t) on 12:11 - Jan 1 by gobbles

Did more than sell Stan, he pushed him out, made him train with the reserves and even took the number 10 shirt off him and gave it to Paul Goddard.

I seem to remember Dean Neal wore the No.10 shirt for the last game of the season up at Wrexham. No offence to Dean Neal but Dean Neal!

A great time to be a young QPR supporter following them around the country back then. Always had a spot for the Doc. RIP.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024