Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This has come up before, but... 08:57 - Jan 8 with 2104 viewsMrSheen

...the last surviving (probably) widow of an American Civil War veteran had died, more than 155 years after the end of the war.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/last-surviving-widow-civil-war-veteran
[Post edited 8 Jan 2021 8:58]
This has come up before, but... on 09:03 - Jan 8 with 2062 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I love watching this.

So strange these were the men at Gettysburg, Antioch and Fort Sumpter.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

This has come up before, but... on 09:09 - Jan 8 with 2042 viewsNortholt_Rs

‘Helen Viola Jackson married James Bolin in 1936, when she was 17 and he was 93’

Now that’s true love!
[Post edited 8 Jan 2021 9:10]

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

This has come up before, but... on 09:29 - Jan 8 with 1980 viewsMrSheen

This has come up before, but... on 09:09 - Jan 8 by Northolt_Rs

‘Helen Viola Jackson married James Bolin in 1936, when she was 17 and he was 93’

Now that’s true love!
[Post edited 8 Jan 2021 9:10]

As it says in the piece, the main incentive was that you could claim a widow's pension for life for a few year's nurse-maiding, a big deal during the depression. Even if you could get a job then, deflation had lowered wage rates while war pensions had not been cut. A lot of the women were single mothers in dire straits, though not in this case. One of the most famous "Confederate widows" had two kids with her new husband but later married her late husband's grandson, assumed locally to be the real father. "Are you my Dad, or my nephew?"
This has come up before, but... on 09:45 - Jan 8 with 1921 viewsEsox_Lucius

I am currently watching the PBS Civil War series and it has been fascinating. Abe Lincoln doesn't come across very well with his handling of the war in it and, IMO, if Robert Lee, Stonewall Jackson & Jeb Stuart had fought on the Union side the war wouldn't have lasted six months. Episode 5 has the daughter of one of the black soldiers reciting a poem, she was 104 at the time of the recording.

The grass is always greener.

This has come up before, but... on 10:09 - Jan 8 with 1882 viewsMrSheen

This has come up before, but... on 09:45 - Jan 8 by Esox_Lucius

I am currently watching the PBS Civil War series and it has been fascinating. Abe Lincoln doesn't come across very well with his handling of the war in it and, IMO, if Robert Lee, Stonewall Jackson & Jeb Stuart had fought on the Union side the war wouldn't have lasted six months. Episode 5 has the daughter of one of the black soldiers reciting a poem, she was 104 at the time of the recording.

It's hard to comprehend now, but the pre-war US Army was tiny and had only fought one war in over 40 years (against Mexico in the 1840s). Almost the whole officer class happened to come from the South, so Northern politicians who were able to persuade local men to enlist were initially allowed to lead them, with some predictable but calamitous results. Can you imagine Colonel Farage, or General Jo Swinson?
This has come up before, but... on 10:14 - Jan 8 with 1864 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I've mentioned this book before but the excellent 'Team of Rivals' backs that up to a large degree. In it, it seems clear that Lincoln - understandably, perhaps - left the war to his generals but he was far too loyal to the many incompetent generals he inherited or appointed, prolonging the war by many years as a result.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

This has come up before, but... on 13:33 - Jan 8 with 1737 viewsTheChef

Oi no spoilers!! I am on episode four ;)

Yeah the Union should have finished it early but General McClennan didn't have the bottle to see through their early advantage.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

This has come up before, but... on 14:27 - Jan 8 with 1685 viewscharmr

Been to Gettysburg numerous times playing in soccer tournaments. My team won a final and the locals turned on me telling me to go back to Baltimore. It’s a bit rebel flag and Harley Davidson yet an interesting place.

Did a tour and the most memorable comments were about the rivers of blood running down the streets and local streams, horrific.

Was up in Breezetown PA last week selling my rims and tyres. On the way back stopped at Hancock and Williamsport. Civil War stuff everywhere. The West Virginia border with Maryland, Baltimore Ohio railway and canal. I’ve been to museums (every smallish town has one) and have been told the story how animal trails, then became American Indian trails, then routes for new settlers with horse and wagon, then main roads creating towns to major highway arteries linking America. Fascinating and beautiful scenery.
Login to get fewer ads

This has come up before, but... on 19:39 - Jan 8 with 1574 viewsbollockchops

had some family that fought and died in that war,one died on Bone island pow camp not sure where that was and another got injured in a skirmish got better then got killed in some battlehe was in a virginian regt and his name was Lewis Gommon but i cant find anycivil war website where you put the name in and find out stuff
This has come up before, but... on 21:46 - Jan 8 with 1477 viewslightwaterhoop

This has come up before, but... on 19:39 - Jan 8 by bollockchops

had some family that fought and died in that war,one died on Bone island pow camp not sure where that was and another got injured in a skirmish got better then got killed in some battlehe was in a virginian regt and his name was Lewis Gommon but i cant find anycivil war website where you put the name in and find out stuff

You can try to Google 'the civil war soldiers and sailors data base' its run by the US
govt and its free to use. They have records of men who enlisted on both sides.
This has come up before, but... on 21:57 - Jan 8 with 1462 viewsMrSheen

From Vermont, died in Virginia?

http://vermontcivilwar.org/get.php?input=17804

If he was in the 5th Vermont from 1861, he would have already been through some of the bloodiest battles of the war: Antietam, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville and Gettysburg before the Wilderness.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/5th_Vermont_Infantry_Regiment

Battle of the Wilderness was an inconclusive slaughter in a forest in Virginia that had been fought over before - I think Stonewall Jackson died there the year before. What was different was that Grant accepted his casualties and pressed on as he knew the Confederates could spare them less as their army was so much ch smaller and less able to survive a prolonged war of attrition.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Wilderness

Here’s a memoir from a 5th Vermont soldier of the first two years.

https://www.stmarys-ca.edu/the-civil-war-letters-of-forrest-little/father-i-done
[Post edited 9 Jan 2021 0:14]
This has come up before, but... on 00:06 - Jan 9 with 1376 viewsCiderwithRsie

This has come up before, but... on 10:14 - Jan 8 by BrianMcCarthy

I've mentioned this book before but the excellent 'Team of Rivals' backs that up to a large degree. In it, it seems clear that Lincoln - understandably, perhaps - left the war to his generals but he was far too loyal to the many incompetent generals he inherited or appointed, prolonging the war by many years as a result.

The Tony Fernandes of American politics
This has come up before, but... on 00:22 - Jan 9 with 1367 viewsLythamR

This has come up before, but... on 09:03 - Jan 8 by Metallica_Hoop

I love watching this.

So strange these were the men at Gettysburg, Antioch and Fort Sumpter.

Thats one old soldier if he fought at Antioch :)
This has come up before, but... on 05:40 - Jan 9 with 1309 viewsbollockchops

thanks Mr Sheen and Light water hoop one was in the Illinois Cavalry and our Lewis was in the Vermont 5th regiment.........aint the internet great !
This has come up before, but... on 06:22 - Jan 9 with 1286 viewsMetallica_Hoop

This has come up before, but... on 00:22 - Jan 9 by LythamR

Thats one old soldier if he fought at Antioch :)

I was thinking of Antietam

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

This has come up before, but... on 11:42 - Jan 9 with 1129 viewsstowmarketrange

My paternal grandfather was born in 1872 and joined up in 1890 for the household cavelry.My dad was the youngest of 9 siblings and was born exactly the same day as the queen(21/04/26),and his dad a year or 2 later,32 years before I was born.
We have his old army book and he was still in the army until 1917.He must’ve got a lot of leave to have had 5 kids by then.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024