Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dry January 13:18 - Jan 8 with 9782 viewsBklynRanger

I know - Get. In. The fcuking. Sea.

Is anyone attempting it though? I'm amazed to say I am - am on Day 5. (Couple of days short but wasn't going to start on a weekend ffs...)

Combination of reasons really: I need to drop a stone and give my stomach lining a bit of a rest. Was also finding that my tolerance was getting to an unmanageable level and can't be bothered getting into crack. Decided to try something different.

So the plan is for 4 weeks of general clean living and self improvement. Fcuuuuuk.

Dry January on 13:27 - Jan 8 with 6516 viewsSonofNorfolt

If it wasn't for Fullers ESB and Rioja I would be guzzling methadone by now.
Dry January on 13:29 - Jan 8 with 6507 viewsRBlock

Giving it a bit of a run, last drink on 1st Jan. If I get halfway there, it will be the longest I've been without a drink since I can remember.

Want to lose a bit of weight and get fitter for five aside, as well as general health reasons. Not eating meat during the week either, which I've enjoyed so far to be honest. Been a challenge finding more plant based recipes for dinner.
Dry January on 13:30 - Jan 8 with 6496 viewsBklynRanger

Dry January on 13:27 - Jan 8 by SonofNorfolt

If it wasn't for Fullers ESB and Rioja I would be guzzling methadone by now.

Good choices man. Sweet delicious ESB.......
Dry January on 13:34 - Jan 8 with 6470 viewsSimonJames

There's no quick fix!
Just drink less alcohol and sugar, eat less crap and move about more... every day.

100% of people who drink water will die.

Dry January on 13:35 - Jan 8 with 6464 viewsTheChef

Plenty of decent low- and non-alcohol beers out there these days, give them a go.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Dry January on 13:36 - Jan 8 with 6463 viewsBklynRanger

Dry January on 13:34 - Jan 8 by SimonJames

There's no quick fix!
Just drink less alcohol and sugar, eat less crap and move about more... every day.

Know what you're saying but it's more of a reset than a quick fix
Dry January on 13:36 - Jan 8 with 6450 viewsdaveB

Not had a drink since New Years EVe mainly due to me having a cold last weekend but I doubt i'll be getting through this weekend without a lot of beer
Dry January on 13:42 - Jan 8 with 6434 viewsDannyPaddox

I toyed with the idea of a Dry January before a chance meeting with a neighbour who runs the local social club. He was saying it was soul-destroying tipping bottles of beer away that would eventually go out of date during the lockdown. Well I looked deep into my heart and said I could find a home for them. I’m now in the possession of 4 crates (96 bottles) of 7.5% Guinness Foreign Extra Stout.

Good luck to everyone on the Dry January 👍🏼

I’ll be doing my mine in March.
[Post edited 8 Jan 2021 14:33]
Login to get fewer ads

Dry January on 13:45 - Jan 8 with 6414 viewsSimonJames

Dry January on 13:36 - Jan 8 by BklynRanger

Provided that afterwards, you don't go back to what you were previously doing. Because then you'd have to reset again.

100% of people who drink water will die.

Dry January on 13:46 - Jan 8 with 6415 viewsrrrspricey

Dry January on 13:36 - Jan 8 by BklynRanger

Same for me so doing it again this year and also to prove to myself i can!

Although i rarely drink beer at home i do get through a ridiculous amount of spirits (vodka and scotch/bourbon mostly, i just love the burn) so the idea is to take a break then cut down to maybe just weekend drinking.
Dry January on 13:47 - Jan 8 with 6412 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Mines going to be more of a “drier January”. Mainly because I no longer have a source of draught beer available to me. Probably not such a bad thing in truth.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Dry January on 13:48 - Jan 8 with 6405 viewsTheChef

Dry January on 13:35 - Jan 8 by TheChef

Plenty of decent low- and non-alcohol beers out there these days, give them a go.

These guys are good and deliver pretty quickly. I just took delivery yesterday of the Mega Pack which I ordered on Monday.

https://www.beerhawk.co.uk/browse-beers/browse-by-style/low-alcohol-beer

Dry January on 13:48 - Jan 8 with 6402 viewsPhildo

Me and Mrs Phildo are doing it and sticking it out so far. Got the Try Dry App which is telling me what a good lad I am and how much I have saved etc...
Dry January on 13:53 - Jan 8 with 6380 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Not drinking this weekend.

However some Iron Maiden IPA is on order with a Maiden selection pack hopefully here for next weekend.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Dry January on 13:58 - Jan 8 with 6374 viewsSilverfoxqpr

Good grief no, dreadful idea. Not drinking during the most depressing month of the year is bad enough, let alone when locked down during a pandemic. I'm working on the basis that as long as I run / get on the punchbag / a.n other exercise every day it balances itself out and I can drink as much as I like. Absolute rubbish of course but there you go! Spoke to Disco last week and even he's having a dry January so I'm clearly in the minority.
Dry January on 14:08 - Jan 8 with 6345 viewsdutch

This is my third dry January, though it did rain a couple of times last year. I'm finding it easier this year, no pubs to lure me in, no restaurants with fine wine lists, no football matches with meets with mates in the boozer beforehand. I've had a belly full of bottled lager in the last few months so not really missing that, but I could murder a gin and tonic. I just see it as re-calibrating my intake. I shall jump back in again on the first of Feb
Dry January on 14:11 - Jan 8 with 6333 viewsBklynRanger

Dry January on 13:48 - Jan 8 by TheChef

These guys are good and deliver pretty quickly. I just took delivery yesterday of the Mega Pack which I ordered on Monday.

https://www.beerhawk.co.uk/browse-beers/browse-by-style/low-alcohol-beer

Thanks for that Chef. Just ordered a couple of dozen in fact.
Dry January on 14:16 - Jan 8 with 6319 viewsDWQPR

Haven't drank since August 2018, although this Xmas did have a glass of bubbly on Xmas day and did break open a bottle of Taylors 10 year tawny to accompany a fine array of cheeses that I had purchased. Must say the tawny was like revisiting a long lost friend and someone I will keep in contact with on the odd occasion.

The AF beer range is improving all the time, shame the supermarkets and pubs cannot keep up with them. Best lagers for me are the Heineken and Budweiser. Craft beers, don't look past the Brewdog Nanny State and the Punk AF, real ales, Adnams Ghost ship and IPA Lowtide hit the spot and for stouts the Big Drop Galactic Stout is superb. Just waiting for the relaunch of the Guinness 0% to compare.

And as far getting back into shape, it's not so much what you drink, although it doesn't help, it's more what you shouldn't eat and regular exercise. Nobody is too old to get fitter, and especially during these times when we have constantly been told that being unfit and overweight will go against you if you get CV19 it is important to look after your bodies.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Dry January on 14:16 - Jan 8 with 6317 viewsSimplyNico

Dry Ginuary is where I am
Dry January on 14:20 - Jan 8 with 6299 viewsTheChef

Dry January on 14:16 - Jan 8 by DWQPR

Haven't drank since August 2018, although this Xmas did have a glass of bubbly on Xmas day and did break open a bottle of Taylors 10 year tawny to accompany a fine array of cheeses that I had purchased. Must say the tawny was like revisiting a long lost friend and someone I will keep in contact with on the odd occasion.

The AF beer range is improving all the time, shame the supermarkets and pubs cannot keep up with them. Best lagers for me are the Heineken and Budweiser. Craft beers, don't look past the Brewdog Nanny State and the Punk AF, real ales, Adnams Ghost ship and IPA Lowtide hit the spot and for stouts the Big Drop Galactic Stout is superb. Just waiting for the relaunch of the Guinness 0% to compare.

And as far getting back into shape, it's not so much what you drink, although it doesn't help, it's more what you shouldn't eat and regular exercise. Nobody is too old to get fitter, and especially during these times when we have constantly been told that being unfit and overweight will go against you if you get CV19 it is important to look after your bodies.

Guinness 0%, how come it's being relaunched? I was looking out for it but didn't see it any stores.

Dry January on 14:28 - Jan 8 with 6282 viewsRBlock

I don't like the idea of the alcohol free beers personally. I have this idea that they just feel a bit hollow. I'd rather sit there with a cup of tea, than have this faux 'almost-but-not-quite' beer experience.
Dry January on 14:32 - Jan 8 with 6263 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Dry January on 14:08 - Jan 8 by dutch

This is my third dry January, though it did rain a couple of times last year. I'm finding it easier this year, no pubs to lure me in, no restaurants with fine wine lists, no football matches with meets with mates in the boozer beforehand. I've had a belly full of bottled lager in the last few months so not really missing that, but I could murder a gin and tonic. I just see it as re-calibrating my intake. I shall jump back in again on the first of Feb

Yes I had a dry July a couple of years ago. Continually walking past packed pub gardens and restaurants didn't make it easy but the longer you go without it the easier it gets.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Dry January on 14:33 - Jan 8 with 6253 viewsA40Bosh

Did it last year and look how the rest of the year turned out.

Also with the Mrs birthday on 14th it has always been a challenge to agree to do it for the whole month without stretching out her "celebrations" over 3-4 days.

This is on top of Dry January coming at the same time as being hit with depression about the end of the Christmas break and the return to the slog of the daily grind

Nah, not for me

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Dry January on 14:35 - Jan 8 with 6244 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Not a dry January story, but after 20 years of pretty much only drinking Guinness and lager I’m giving Wine a go for a while because I’m tired of having the raging shits.
Dry January on 14:42 - Jan 8 with 6236 viewsDixie_CT

Dry January on 14:28 - Jan 8 by RBlock

I don't like the idea of the alcohol free beers personally. I have this idea that they just feel a bit hollow. I'd rather sit there with a cup of tea, than have this faux 'almost-but-not-quite' beer experience.

Yeah I'm with you, I don't really get it, especially when the price is pretty similar. to the fully loaded stuff. I know the taste is a helluva lot better than the Swan Light/Kalibur days but still not floating my boat.

I'm not strictly doing dry January but haven't had a drink since NYE so am going to see how long I can last.

Have a long and indifferent relationship with booze, often pondering on what life would be like without it and the painful conclusion is that it would be better :(

I gave up for three years in my mid-twenties so know I can do it but don't want to do it right now and am slightly fortunate that the relationship is more habital and obsessional with pubs rather than addiction which has been in my family.

Good luck to all those formally trying to not drink this month.
[Post edited 8 Jan 2021 14:43]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024