Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Strikers misfire as Austin watches on - Report 18:39 - Jan 10 with 2762 viewsNorthernr

Strikers misfire as Austin watches on - Report 10th Jan 2021 18:36
QPR were beaten in the FA Cup third round for a record breaking fiftieth time on Saturday, as Fulham made the most of Rangers' profligacy in front of goal to win the day in extra time. 22

Strikers misfire as Austin watches on - Report on 19:08 - Jan 10 with 2622 viewscolinallcars

Spot on.
Strikers misfire as Austin watches on - Report on 19:14 - Jan 10 with 2595 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Ya, agree with all of that. Including the match ratings.

Thanks as ever.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Strikers misfire as Austin watches on - Report on 19:22 - Jan 10 with 2560 viewsdaveB

One thing on Bonne which i think is a minor positive is that he does get in good positions to miss chances, he clearly should have done better with 2 of them he had yesterday same as the Swansea game but he seems to get a lot more chances in games than our other forwards. There does seem to be something to work with there.

Overall I thought we played well yesterday, defended pretty well for most of the game and was only really when Chair, Carroll and Bright went off that we lost our way which is understandable.
Strikers misfire as Austin watches on - Report on 19:32 - Jan 10 with 2516 viewsbosh67

I’m really hoping Austin takes Dykes under his wing a little. His reaction to
Missing a glorious chance so spectacularly made my heart sink a little. Players go through these periods but I’m hoping Austin will show him the way a little and perhaps we’ll see a better Dykes. With Bonne I think there’s a decent player in there. He finds great positions and just needs to stop snatching at chances. Both our strikers are not trusting themselves in front of goal in a no sh*t Sherlock kind of way.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Strikers misfire as Austin watches on - Report on 19:50 - Jan 10 with 2449 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Strikers misfire as Austin watches on - Report on 19:22 - Jan 10 by daveB

One thing on Bonne which i think is a minor positive is that he does get in good positions to miss chances, he clearly should have done better with 2 of them he had yesterday same as the Swansea game but he seems to get a lot more chances in games than our other forwards. There does seem to be something to work with there.

Overall I thought we played well yesterday, defended pretty well for most of the game and was only really when Chair, Carroll and Bright went off that we lost our way which is understandable.

I agree.
On a related note, I thought it surprising that Bonne was played in the centre of the front three yesterday with Chair to his left and Austin to his right. Bonne after all has played as a wideman?

Possible reasons:

1) Bonne, as you say, gets in better scoring positions
2) When Dieng goes long he can't reach the CF with ease but he can hit RCF who would be positioned slightly deeper, thus bringing in Dykes for the flick-on

Just looking for the thinking behind it. Too easy to dismiss it out of hand. Any thoughts?

Strikers misfire as Austin watches on - Report on 20:03 - Jan 10 with 2413 viewsdaveB

Strikers misfire as Austin watches on - Report on 19:50 - Jan 10 by BrianMcCarthy

I agree.
On a related note, I thought it surprising that Bonne was played in the centre of the front three yesterday with Chair to his left and Austin to his right. Bonne after all has played as a wideman?

Possible reasons:

1) Bonne, as you say, gets in better scoring positions
2) When Dieng goes long he can't reach the CF with ease but he can hit RCF who would be positioned slightly deeper, thus bringing in Dykes for the flick-on

Just looking for the thinking behind it. Too easy to dismiss it out of hand. Any thoughts?

I thought they played as a front 2 to be honest with Chair in behind them but quite probable I got that wrong as I find it harder to see the team shape on tv
Strikers misfire as Austin watches on - Report on 20:07 - Jan 10 with 2390 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Strikers misfire as Austin watches on - Report on 20:03 - Jan 10 by daveB

I thought they played as a front 2 to be honest with Chair in behind them but quite probable I got that wrong as I find it harder to see the team shape on tv

At times they were, you're right. But by and large Chair drifted to and pressed on the left and Aussie was very much right. Bonne lined up centre for oppo goal kicks and played mostly centre, I thought, but ran the line a bit maybe favoring left slightly.
[Post edited 10 Jan 2021 20:46]

Strikers misfire as Austin watches on - Report on 20:35 - Jan 10 with 2293 viewsMyke

Strikers misfire as Austin watches on - Report on 20:07 - Jan 10 by BrianMcCarthy

At times they were, you're right. But by and large Chair drifted to and pressed on the left and Aussie was very much right. Bonne lined up centre for oppo goal kicks and played mostly centre, I thought, but ran the line a bit maybe favoring left slightly.
[Post edited 10 Jan 2021 20:46]

I am surprised to hear Austin was playing at all - never mind on the right
Login to get fewer ads

Strikers misfire as Austin watches on - Report on 20:46 - Jan 10 with 2252 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Strikers misfire as Austin watches on - Report on 20:35 - Jan 10 by Myke

I am surprised to hear Austin was playing at all - never mind on the right

Ha!
Edited now!

Strikers misfire as Austin watches on - Report on 20:54 - Jan 10 with 2222 viewsted_hendrix

As the 90 minutes drew nearer and nearer I kept saying to myself please don't go to extra time, we haven't played well all season for 90 minutes, we'll never last a full 120 minutes and so it proved to be.

You really don't want to verbally berate your own players either but every time Kane got into a position to cross the ball you just knew the end product wouldn't make it.

Nothing to do with QPR but that Bryan bloke who plays for them was bloody good, we didn't even have to make him look good, he was.

Just have to pull out all the stops now and try and make the play offs.

Oh dear.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Strikers misfire as Austin watches on - Report on 21:33 - Jan 10 with 2102 viewsMyke

Strikers misfire as Austin watches on - Report on 20:46 - Jan 10 by BrianMcCarthy

Ha!
Edited now!

Well he has been very much on our minds all weekend Let's hope he's front and centre v Luton and bags one or two.
Strikers misfire as Austin watches on - Report on 04:37 - Jan 11 with 1716 viewsUPPERLOFTNZ

Great report Clive - Has Charlie been added as a striker to the prediction league drop down yet?

Football is Faith
Poll: OK.. Next season. Where do you think we will finish?

Strikers misfire as Austin watches on - Report on 08:10 - Jan 11 with 1620 viewsPhildo

Excellent report as usual. And we were not bad for most of the game.

Big questions though which go way beyond the manager. How did they look at the squad at the start of the year and think for example we were going to be ok at full back with the personnel they had? Did they gamble on there being three weaker teams? If so it would have been clear you need a bit of dog in you to get through a season like that. Why not sign a warrior or two one one year deals if so? It looks so naïve.
Strikers misfire as Austin watches on - Report on 08:18 - Jan 11 with 1598 viewsNorthernr

Strikers misfire as Austin watches on - Report on 04:37 - Jan 11 by UPPERLOFTNZ

Great report Clive - Has Charlie been added as a striker to the prediction league drop down yet?

He has now.
Strikers misfire as Austin watches on - Report on 10:12 - Jan 11 with 1415 viewsSilverfoxqpr

Excellent stuff Clive, particularly pleased Barbet got MOTM, he was very good on Saturday. He hasn't played anywhere near as badly as the ever increasing negativity on the match threads would have most believe.
Strikers misfire as Austin watches on - Report on 11:26 - Jan 11 with 1290 viewspaulparker

Hämäläinen 5
Bonne 4

Being very generous with those ratings

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Strikers misfire as Austin watches on - Report on 12:38 - Jan 11 with 1201 viewsPhilmyRs

Good report. I did find the game once again supported some of what the Manager has said in the past - and which seems to annoy a lot of the fanbase when he say's it - but had we taken our chances, we win that game. He may well get sacked soon, but of all the Managers that we've had in the recent past, it feels like MW has some just reasons for arguing players missing gilt edged chances has cost him most. Too many games the quality of finishing has meant we've dropped points and I do feel for him on that front.

I thought Thomas looked better when he came on this time. Tidier on the ball and looked like he could add something. Bettache too seems to have a bit of composure, I think it's the right thing to send him out on loan though. I think we missed out not doing this at the start of the campagin as the experience would have been invaluable for him and depending how he'd fared we could have exercised a recall.

We really need to start getting our full backs creating chances. Makes you reflect more positively on Manning's creative contribution a bit more. Some of the space and time our full backs have to put a decent delivery into the box just gets wasted time after time. What we'd give for a young David Bardsley.
Strikers misfire as Austin watches on - Report on 12:50 - Jan 11 with 1177 viewsPinnerPaul

Thanks Clive, nothing ref related to discuss really apart from the ludicrous claim from Hammaleinan that he shouldn't be cautioned as it was his first foul!
Strikers misfire as Austin watches on - Report on 12:56 - Jan 11 with 1164 viewsNorthernr

Strikers misfire as Austin watches on - Report on 12:50 - Jan 11 by PinnerPaul

Thanks Clive, nothing ref related to discuss really apart from the ludicrous claim from Hammaleinan that he shouldn't be cautioned as it was his first foul!

So dim.
Strikers misfire as Austin watches on - Report on 13:33 - Jan 11 with 1107 viewsPinnerPaul

Strikers misfire as Austin watches on - Report on 12:56 - Jan 11 by Northernr

So dim.

I had high hopes for him, couple of games he looked like a real prospect, seems to have regressed, but a little early to write him off completely - not that you have I know!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024