Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sir Les 15:36 - Jan 12 with 4479 viewsPinnerPaul

Mrs Pinner - a relatively recent 'convert' - was asking how good Mr F was, so showed her this.

One of these goals is eerily similar to Mr Dykes missed chance v Fulham!

Sir Les on 21:24 - Jan 12 with 1188 viewsGroveR

Sir Les on 18:08 - Jan 12 by davman

He didn't miss many though whereas Bonne and Dykes have set themselves up by missing sitters.

Is that some kind of vague positive that they are at least getting into those positions?

Washington was a mystery to me - my lad pointed him out as a dud way, way before me; I was so hopeful after the Reading brace he got.

All I can think of is that as a fan base we knew we were on our way down that season he joined us, whereas this time around, with money to spend and last seasons promise, we were hopeful of so much more?

They may still come good, but the signs are not good (yet)...

On Les, there was something there even before Turkey. I seem to think he was an awesome finisher with not a lot else before he left, but have I got that wrong;did he score before he left on loan?

He did though, some quite glaring if memory serves. I don't think you can overplay the impact Super Ray had on him as a player and I make no apologies for posting this again.

https://www.qprnet.com/the-ray-wilkins-interview.html#

When you added Bardsley and Wilson into that team it was so good I want to touch myself.
Sir Les on 21:27 - Jan 12 with 1155 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Sir Les on 18:48 - Jan 12 by loftus77

Wonderful player.

I can't remember any other Rangers striker before or since who was so, so good in the air.

Sir Les just seemed to 'hang there' with so much time and 'punch' the ball into the net with his head- seemingly he could be on the end of any cross into the box from Sinton, Bardsley, Wilkins, Wilson, anyone... as some above have said, he seemed so much taller than he actually was.

I wish we could have held onto him (and Willo) for just one more year...
[Post edited 12 Jan 2021 18:50]

Always wondered if the hang time and heading power were down to gym work. His Father was shorter than Les but was an absolute unit, he did weightlifting, I used to hear, and would well believe it. often wondered if Les joined in.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Sir Les on 21:29 - Jan 12 with 1174 viewsqueensparker

Les in his prime was the best player I've seen at Rangers by some distance (honourable runners up - Adel/Paul Parker). Too young for Stan and Rodney.

What made it so good was as others have said he was a fairly mediocre target man for a few years, and then one season he turned up on the first day and was f--king phenomenal from that moment on. We got three seasons out of that new Les before he went to Newcastle but for those three seasons, as long as he was playing, you knew we could beat anyone.

Never seen a player before or since who could hang in the air for so long, he was also fast as f--k, great shot from distance or close in. Our basic tactic while we had him was for Wilkins/Barker/Holloway/whoever, to get the ball vaguely near him and he would win it 90% of the time.

In this day and age he'd be a superstar, seriously.
[Post edited 12 Jan 2021 21:35]
Sir Les on 21:45 - Jan 12 with 1111 viewsgigiisourgod

Sir Les on 21:29 - Jan 12 by queensparker

Les in his prime was the best player I've seen at Rangers by some distance (honourable runners up - Adel/Paul Parker). Too young for Stan and Rodney.

What made it so good was as others have said he was a fairly mediocre target man for a few years, and then one season he turned up on the first day and was f--king phenomenal from that moment on. We got three seasons out of that new Les before he went to Newcastle but for those three seasons, as long as he was playing, you knew we could beat anyone.

Never seen a player before or since who could hang in the air for so long, he was also fast as f--k, great shot from distance or close in. Our basic tactic while we had him was for Wilkins/Barker/Holloway/whoever, to get the ball vaguely near him and he would win it 90% of the time.

Agree with all of this, my first (and one of my last) idols and always in any game with him in the team.
Sir Les on 22:02 - Jan 12 with 1093 viewsrsocks

Great Player nearly as good as Clive Allen.
Sir Les (n/t) (n/t) on 22:10 - Jan 12 with 1076 viewsrsocks

Sir Les on 22:02 - Jan 12 by rsocks

[Post edited 12 Jan 2021 22:10]
Sir Les on 22:17 - Jan 12 with 1055 viewsCamberleyR

Sir Les on 18:08 - Jan 12 by davman

He didn't miss many though whereas Bonne and Dykes have set themselves up by missing sitters.

Is that some kind of vague positive that they are at least getting into those positions?

Washington was a mystery to me - my lad pointed him out as a dud way, way before me; I was so hopeful after the Reading brace he got.

All I can think of is that as a fan base we knew we were on our way down that season he joined us, whereas this time around, with money to spend and last seasons promise, we were hopeful of so much more?

They may still come good, but the signs are not good (yet)...

On Les, there was something there even before Turkey. I seem to think he was an awesome finisher with not a lot else before he left, but have I got that wrong;did he score before he left on loan?

I don't think he did score before leaving for Turkey. I remember him getting a brace against the SW6 filth at LR just before Christmas 1989/90 season but I'm pretty sure that was after his spell for Besiktas. IIRC I think the goals against the pikies at LR were his first.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Sir Les on 22:19 - Jan 12 with 1037 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Sir Les on 22:17 - Jan 12 by CamberleyR

I don't think he did score before leaving for Turkey. I remember him getting a brace against the SW6 filth at LR just before Christmas 1989/90 season but I'm pretty sure that was after his spell for Besiktas. IIRC I think the goals against the pikies at LR were his first.

That's my recollection as well, FWIW.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Login to get fewer ads

Sir Les on 22:19 - Jan 12 with 1035 viewsDorse

I loved him then. I still do.

If there is a term more appropriate than 'legend', then it applies to Les Ferdinand.

My son still believes his middle name is Les Ferdinand (my daughter believes hers is Stanley Bowles)!

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Sir Les on 22:23 - Jan 12 with 1022 viewsMyke

Sir Les on 18:48 - Jan 12 by loftus77

Wonderful player.

I can't remember any other Rangers striker before or since who was so, so good in the air.

Sir Les just seemed to 'hang there' with so much time and 'punch' the ball into the net with his head- seemingly he could be on the end of any cross into the box from Sinton, Bardsley, Wilkins, Wilson, anyone... as some above have said, he seemed so much taller than he actually was.

I wish we could have held onto him (and Willo) for just one more year...
[Post edited 12 Jan 2021 18:50]

The only modern player who can 'hang in the air' like Les could, is Ronaldo
Sir Les on 23:06 - Jan 12 with 977 viewsdavman

Sir Les on 22:17 - Jan 12 by CamberleyR

Yep, you're right. Just two games for us before he went on his travels.

That hang time was remarkable - something to do with the fact that he was only 5'11" and needed to outjump taller CBs.

The other Wiki Stat that aught my eye was his Newcastle scoring record - 41 goals in 62 games.

Legend.

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Sir Les on 23:18 - Jan 12 with 956 viewsgigiisourgod

Sir Les on 23:06 - Jan 12 by davman

Yep, you're right. Just two games for us before he went on his travels.

That hang time was remarkable - something to do with the fact that he was only 5'11" and needed to outjump taller CBs.

The other Wiki Stat that aught my eye was his Newcastle scoring record - 41 goals in 62 games.

Legend.

Newcastle fans/cabbies love him an all, on par with Shearer. Well, almost...
Sir Les on 23:22 - Jan 12 with 948 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

He was simply breathtaking in the air. Never seen anything like it.

Then again he could also do this. It was even better live!

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Sir Les on 23:24 - Jan 12 with 943 viewsCiderwithRsie

Sir Les on 22:02 - Jan 12 by rsocks

I bloody loved Clive Allen, best finisher I've seen for us or anyone else.

But Les was the best all-round striker I've seen: strong, good in the air, lightening quick with the ball at his feet, powerful shot... I actually think it cost him England caps, Shearer was more a "pure" centre forward and Beardsley the creator.
Sir Les on 23:37 - Jan 12 with 921 viewsdavman

Sir Les on 23:24 - Jan 12 by CiderwithRsie

I bloody loved Clive Allen, best finisher I've seen for us or anyone else.

But Les was the best all-round striker I've seen: strong, good in the air, lightening quick with the ball at his feet, powerful shot... I actually think it cost him England caps, Shearer was more a "pure" centre forward and Beardsley the creator.

Think it was Sheringham that kept Les out of the team in my view. Always biased but Sir Les deserved more England Caps...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Sir Les on 23:44 - Jan 12 with 910 viewsCiderwithRsie

Sir Les on 23:37 - Jan 12 by davman

Think it was Sheringham that kept Les out of the team in my view. Always biased but Sir Les deserved more England Caps...

Yeah, I think you're right. I've no doubt at all Les was the better player but I can see the thinking.

I remember reading some Dutch bloke praising England's strikers and saying that we weren't even playing our best ones and it'd be scary when we started picking Les.
Sir Les on 02:55 - Jan 13 with 842 viewsnadera78

Sir Les on 23:22 - Jan 12 by CliveWilsonSaid

He was simply breathtaking in the air. Never seen anything like it.

Then again he could also do this. It was even better live!

Everyone talks about the hang time, the headers from crosses, and racing onto balls over the top but this was my favourite part of his game.

So often when we were in our own half Les would look to drop off a CB, towards the centre circle, and collect a pass into him. He'd turn and, if the CBs had given him even a yard of space, run at them with pace and power. It scared the life out of them. So impressive to watch.

Iv'e seen better passes, better defenders, better crossers, players with better control - but I've never seen or felt a QPR player generate the sort of excitement Les did in his prime years with us. Genuinely thrilling.
Sir Les on 05:22 - Jan 13 with 824 viewsKiwi76

Was lucky that this was my team when living over there & you’ve nailed it. Quite brilliant.
Agree with Grove though on Wilkins influence - he could get a pout on if couple of decisions went against him & Ray was constantly geeing him up & keeping him focussed.
Loved that side.
Sir Les on 07:41 - Jan 13 with 778 viewsbakerloo8

Just a wonderful player. A true Great and you shouldn't use that term lightly.

It wasnt just us that rated Les. I went to many England games during the early 90s and every fan I met from other clubs rated him as unplayable. Could jump like he was on a trampoline, too fast, too strong or too skillful for the defenders he was playing against. Absolute monster of a player and one that were likely to never see the likes of again.
Sir Les on 07:50 - Jan 13 with 777 viewsMickS

A member of the Southall 85-86 Vase final team. I was at that match and didn’t have a clue who he was!

Anyone recognise “ Mr Northolt Sports” in the photo?
[Post edited 13 Jan 2021 8:00]
Sir Les on 08:36 - Jan 13 with 749 viewsstevec

Sir Les on 16:27 - Jan 12 by Northernr

Here's another tangent for this one, perhaps relevent to Dykes now (one can only hope).

Les came out of non-league and had several seasons (not months) of developing, couple of loans, one famous 'making of the man' season in Turkey, used and trusted a little bit by Don Howe, but really only in the second half of 91/92 under Gerry and after Wegerle left did he really become the main man up front, and of course then absolutely blitzed 92/93, 93/94, 94/95...

Do we think these days, at QPR and/or elsewhere, he'd have been afforded that time? Would we perhaps write him off and give up around the sort of 1989/90 mark now, when he'd been here for three years and not broken through?

I guess we gave Conor Washington plenty of time, but I already see people giving up on Dykes.

This post has been edited by an administrator

I think fans are cuter than you give them credit for. The first season Les played for us, sure he did get some stick, but think that was largely out of frustration, you could see he had everything at that point except the ability to shoot straight. That came right but important point at the early stage fans, and no doubt the club, saw that he had something special.

Same with Eze. There were some who called him lazy but again while some may have thought he was genuinely lazy I think it just became a universal word for his one weakness, that of not being alert to running full backs and something he still hasn’t quite got to grips with at Palace either. No matter, the vast majority had patience because he had every other attribute.

Players like Eze and Les have that moment that takes your breath away, when you know they’re special. Eze when he left Huddleston for dead in an early appearance, Les for his unstoppable surging runs. That’s the difference and why fans have less patience with the likes of Conor and Dykes.

To give Dykes a break, the last two games I’ve been surprised that when played through one on one he didn’t get caught for speed and stayed ahead of the defender. Missed both chances admittedly, but that gives some glimmer of hope maybe.
Sir Les on 09:05 - Jan 13 with 728 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Les was superb he had everything, that salamander leap to beat giant old school 6ft4" centerbacks you dont really see any more.

I remember Les being unconcious or dazed in the penalty area, the ball was cut across for Garry Thompson only to blast it straight at the prone Les's head.

I think the ref stopped play after that

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Sir Les on 09:26 - Jan 13 with 692 viewsflynnbo

Didn’t Jimmy Hill say that we would have qualified for the 1994 World Cup had Les been playing in a certain game? Or something akin to that.
Sir Les on 10:13 - Jan 13 with 648 viewsCamberleyR

Sir Les on 09:26 - Jan 13 by flynnbo

Didn’t Jimmy Hill say that we would have qualified for the 1994 World Cup had Les been playing in a certain game? Or something akin to that.

Yes, he missed the game against Holland in Rotterdam through injury ("The referee's got me the sack. Thank him ever so much for that, won't you?").

We then played Newcastle at St James' Park the following Saturday where he scored and made the other for Bradley Allen and was absolutely unplayable which ultimately convinced Kevin Keegan that he had to sign him.
[Post edited 13 Jan 2021 17:47]

Sir Les on 10:23 - Jan 13 with 631 viewsCamberleyR

Sir Les on 07:50 - Jan 13 by MickS

A member of the Southall 85-86 Vase final team. I was at that match and didn’t have a clue who he was!

Anyone recognise “ Mr Northolt Sports” in the photo?
[Post edited 13 Jan 2021 8:00]

"Anyone recognise “ Mr Northolt Sports” in the photo?"

No, but the guy on the bottom row far right is the dead spit of Alex Higgins!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024