Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hold your horses. 14:26 - Jan 13 with 2719 viewsdutch

I've been posting sporadically here or a short while but never divulged my cheese choice, because I'm not much of a fan, but maybe a little manchego with cold fino sherry and jamon iberico. Now onto business.

I am as happy as anybody that we turned it round last might and beat that rotten mob, also happy not to have to do that journey back to the station afterwards while trash throw half bricks at us. Today has felt that little bit brighter, but let's not get carried away. We beat a rotten Luton team, and Charlie scored, but we are still 4 or 5 players short of a decent side. No fullbacks worth their salt (pink Himalayan please), anywhere in the club, no decent midfield enforcer (I like Dom but he aint Don Masson or even Shaun Derry), Little Tom who can't last an hour as our playmaker and besides our Charles, there might not be ten goals in the rest of that forward line. And if BOS goes we're left with an ageing uncle and an unproven brother of a famous footballer on the wings. Oh and Ilias who I like, but who doesn't like our best formation.

We have a decent keeper, one good centre half (if he learns not to put his arm on players shoulders) and an old hero who had no knees left when we sold him.

This will still be a very long hard season.
Hold your horses. on 14:30 - Jan 13 with 2673 viewsdaveB

I don't think anyone is getting carried away but we played well last night ad the team and manager deserve a bit of credit, we're quick enough to criticise so shouldn't be shy in handing out praise either
Hold your horses. on 14:32 - Jan 13 with 2646 viewsPinnerPaul

'Rotten Luton team" you say.

Most on here were saying what a decent side they were before kick off!

That's the standard mate - Norwich, Reading, Stoke all top 6 sides, had about 3 shots on target between them, add Fulham (1st 90') to that and we conceded one goal in open play to those 4 - as I've said before our much maligned defence is pretty decent now.
Hold your horses. on 14:33 - Jan 13 with 2642 viewsMatch82

Agree that we shouldn't overreact, but Luton are not a rotten side this year, especially at home - they have put far better teams than us to the sword this year.

If they looked poor yesterday, I'd like to think we can take some credit for making them so. More to do, but it's a welcome relief to get the result that some of our recent performances have deserved. What a difference a striker can make.

And welcome, officially!
Hold your horses. on 14:37 - Jan 13 with 2598 viewskropotkin41

Hold your horses! Sherry?

We've gone a long time without a goal and a long time with only one win but that was without getting absolutely battered. Reflecting on our wage structure and the departure of key players, I reckon objectively we should expect to be struggling and if we do better than that then all credit to management and players.

I'm sure that doesn't mean that there aren't valid criticisms of MW and the team, but we really are a pretty modest club with modest resources and if we're able to get to a respectable midtable..... or 16th, that'll be okay. If we accidentally put together something better with older players and developing surprises then we'll just be doing what we've done in the past: punching above our weight!

‘morbid curiosity about where this is all going’

Hold your horses. on 14:44 - Jan 13 with 2558 viewsdutch

Hold your horses. on 14:37 - Jan 13 by kropotkin41

We've gone a long time without a goal and a long time with only one win but that was without getting absolutely battered. Reflecting on our wage structure and the departure of key players, I reckon objectively we should expect to be struggling and if we do better than that then all credit to management and players.

I'm sure that doesn't mean that there aren't valid criticisms of MW and the team, but we really are a pretty modest club with modest resources and if we're able to get to a respectable midtable..... or 16th, that'll be okay. If we accidentally put together something better with older players and developing surprises then we'll just be doing what we've done in the past: punching above our weight!

Ice cold fino, or even better Manzanilla from Sanlucar de Barrameda is just about the driest, finest, most evocative drink known to man. Even better than a pint of Double Diamond in the Smutts in 1976. Oh and I forgot to mention Todd Kane's crossing.
[Post edited 13 Jan 2021 14:47]
Hold your horses. on 14:46 - Jan 13 with 2542 viewsMatch82

Hold your horses. on 14:37 - Jan 13 by kropotkin41

We'll finish sixteenth
We'll finish sixteeeeeeenth
We're Queens Park Rangers
We'll finish sixteenth
Hold your horses. on 14:51 - Jan 13 with 2489 viewsBoston

Hold your horses. on 14:32 - Jan 13 by PinnerPaul

That's the standard mate - Norwich, Reading, Stoke all top 6 sides, had about 3 shots on target between them, add Fulham (1st 90') to that and we conceded one goal in open play to those 4 - as I've said before our much maligned defence is pretty decent now.

‘Rotten Mob’, he said. In reference to their rotten mob.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Hold your horses. on 14:58 - Jan 13 with 2449 viewsLoneRanger

I agree entirely that we should not over-react to the win. Luton were poor, and there are still a lot of issues to resolve - I think most of us accept that and that our playing staff is not super blessed, reflecting our wage budget and financial situation. On top of this, the situation with Covid makes it really difficult to envisage what will happen going forwards — teams could have horrendous backlogs of fixtures, players missing — which could blow any well laid plans out of the water.

That said, Austin coming back has brought some positivity in what has felt a spiral of negativity in the last few weeks, and most importantly hopefully helps the team believe that they can score goals (confidence of which has been clearly missing). And, as ever in the Championship, if you can get organised, get players comfortable playing a system and knowing their jobs etc . then you can do well even with limited players and budget. Further, I really don’t think this is a very good Championship — you could envisage any side beating another on their day. Part of the key is trying to find a way to get the best out of the players that you have — it felt that the last few games have gone some way to doing this.

But, as of today, I would just take staying up, and I would throw in that I would hope not to go down to the wire to do it (not least if there is the remote chance that the season gets curtailed and we are going to have a point per game system).
Login to get fewer ads

Hold your horses. on 15:09 - Jan 13 with 2379 viewsrsonist

Instead of focusing on the imaginary happy clappers maybe try hold our horses when the script is everyone we signed is a write-off, heads must roll, club is destroyed and so on.
Hold your horses. on 15:20 - Jan 13 with 2323 viewsdutch

Hold your horses. on 15:09 - Jan 13 by rsonist

Instead of focusing on the imaginary happy clappers maybe try hold our horses when the script is everyone we signed is a write-off, heads must roll, club is destroyed and so on.

Don't particularly think there's too much happy clapping, it's good to be happy, and I am certainly a touch more contented today. It's the wild mood swings we need to be mindful of, terrible saturday, wonderful tuesday. We're not, we're pretty mediocre all the time at the moment. We've been here before and we'll get through it, just pointing put that the prodigal son returning does not transform us into Gordon Jago's first eleven. We have a long way to go, suspect we'll get there (16th that is), but this is still a particularly average iteration of our club with a lot of holes to fill.
Hold your horses. on 15:27 - Jan 13 with 2288 viewsMrSheen

Hold your horses. on 14:44 - Jan 13 by dutch

Ice cold fino, or even better Manzanilla from Sanlucar de Barrameda is just about the driest, finest, most evocative drink known to man. Even better than a pint of Double Diamond in the Smutts in 1976. Oh and I forgot to mention Todd Kane's crossing.
[Post edited 13 Jan 2021 14:47]

I'm 100% in agreement on sherry, especially with Manchego (and some salted almonds, if you have any).
As for Luton, they weren't great yesterday, but they've done better than us up to now. A sign that we are improving?
Hold your horses. on 15:33 - Jan 13 with 2262 viewsdutch

Hold your horses. on 15:27 - Jan 13 by MrSheen

I'm 100% in agreement on sherry, especially with Manchego (and some salted almonds, if you have any).
As for Luton, they weren't great yesterday, but they've done better than us up to now. A sign that we are improving?

On days like this I dream of cold sherry and oily almonds taken beneath unforgiving blue skies. Do you think I could persuade the management of the Springbok (or whatever it's now called) to stock a bottle for the first game back?
Hold your horses. on 15:36 - Jan 13 with 2240 viewsJuzzie

I think after 6 weeks or so of horrible results (even if we have played OK) I think everyone is entitled to a bit of enjoyment.

We all know it's still a long slog ahead, just enjoy the moment :)
Hold your horses. on 15:42 - Jan 13 with 2199 viewsHastings_Hoops

In response to the original post’s mention about an ageing Uncs... I think Uncs (with all his experience) will be more affective than (a very selfish) BOS...

look at the assist for the Bonne goal last night and his assist for the Chair goal earlier this season (was it Rotherham?) - traps ball, looks up, thinks about the pass and plays a perfectly weighted pass to the striker - goal... compare to head down and run mentality that we’re seeing more often than not.
Hold your horses. on 15:52 - Jan 13 with 2147 viewsgazza1

Bit harsh Dutch.......

I, too, thought Luton were mostly average last nite, rotten maybe, but I thought we did much better. I always find it most difficult to know if the opposition is poor or we were very good, bit of both perhaps. No doubting, though, that Luton are having a good season and their home record is super.

As for our boys, decent enough performance & far better than we have seen recently. I put that down to Charlie, not everything, but from his first touch, the cross field ball, was excellent and he went on play very well for 60 minutes - he added a lot to the team and what we have been lacking. Who knows why, but Dykes played much more like a professional CF instead of a non-league player. The goal from Charlie was a proper goal scorers goal, lost his marker, found space an in the right position to put it away - looked simple but a lot of intelligent work went before it which is what we have been missing.

We are short of full backs (although Kakay should be OK) and an Amos type midfielder for starters. The rest are good enough to get us up to 10th with some good fortune. We have got 2 decent CB's and an old experienced CB, Dom is OK in midfield, just a bit erratic, Chair & BOS are good enough for the Championship and the Goalie is doing very well. Decent(ish) cover wide and some youngsters to play when the time is right. So i remain positive and hopeful for a good season. Add a couple more and we could be even better!!
[Post edited 13 Jan 2021 15:55]
Hold your horses. on 15:57 - Jan 13 with 2102 viewsrobith

I don't think anyone's suddenly saying we're gonna make the play offs.

It's been a miserable couple of months. Charlie back and getting the win has just brightened us up a bit is all. Enjoy it man, it's what sport is there for
Hold your horses. on 16:02 - Jan 13 with 2073 viewsdutch

Hold your horses. on 15:52 - Jan 13 by gazza1

Bit harsh Dutch.......

I, too, thought Luton were mostly average last nite, rotten maybe, but I thought we did much better. I always find it most difficult to know if the opposition is poor or we were very good, bit of both perhaps. No doubting, though, that Luton are having a good season and their home record is super.

As for our boys, decent enough performance & far better than we have seen recently. I put that down to Charlie, not everything, but from his first touch, the cross field ball, was excellent and he went on play very well for 60 minutes - he added a lot to the team and what we have been lacking. Who knows why, but Dykes played much more like a professional CF instead of a non-league player. The goal from Charlie was a proper goal scorers goal, lost his marker, found space an in the right position to put it away - looked simple but a lot of intelligent work went before it which is what we have been missing.

We are short of full backs (although Kakay should be OK) and an Amos type midfielder for starters. The rest are good enough to get us up to 10th with some good fortune. We have got 2 decent CB's and an old experienced CB, Dom is OK in midfield, just a bit erratic, Chair & BOS are good enough for the Championship and the Goalie is doing very well. Decent(ish) cover wide and some youngsters to play when the time is right. So i remain positive and hopeful for a good season. Add a couple more and we could be even better!!
[Post edited 13 Jan 2021 15:55]

I dream of 10th as I dream of cold sherry and hot sunshine. With our current resources you're right we have limited ambitions and limited players to go with it. How much do we miss Ebere? My big fear is there is neither inspiration ie a mercurial number 10, nor perspiration in the shape of a run through walls character. We need more steel and more quicksilver, but we should be just about OK (ie 16th) with the rather beige squad currently assembled.
Hold your horses. on 22:48 - Jan 13 with 1834 viewsOldPedro

Hold your horses. on 15:42 - Jan 13 by Hastings_Hoops

In response to the original post’s mention about an ageing Uncs... I think Uncs (with all his experience) will be more affective than (a very selfish) BOS...

look at the assist for the Bonne goal last night and his assist for the Chair goal earlier this season (was it Rotherham?) - traps ball, looks up, thinks about the pass and plays a perfectly weighted pass to the striker - goal... compare to head down and run mentality that we’re seeing more often than not.

I think he also set up the chance for BOS at the end of the Norwich game

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

Hold your horses. on 08:08 - Jan 15 with 1549 viewsstainrods_elbow

Hold your horses. on 14:32 - Jan 13 by PinnerPaul

True enough, but we still only managed two goals, two points and another (this time more creditable) Cup exit against the lot of them. The Luton game has given some grounds for cautious optimism, but we now need to start filling the onion bag and put a string of wins and performances together, if Warburton and this team are going to win us over as they need to. We've clearly improved defensively, aided by Dickie's fine development, but our goalscoring has flatlined alarmingly. I do think Charlie might be a catalyst that helps us turn a corner, but he clearly can't do it all on his own. Sooner or later, Dykes, Bonne and Kelman have got to start getting among the goals, and Chair and BOS need to contribute as well. It's a shame the likes of Ball, Willock and Carroll carry so little threat here. If you struggle to score at all, you're looking at a slew of draws and defeats, I'm afraid, and being in games a lot of the time doesn't mean you can't or won't get relegated if most of the fine margins go against you. For me,we're not (yet) the good side that the manager keeps insisting we are, though we're by no means as bad as has sometimes seemed apparent.

16th it is then?

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Hold your horses. on 08:22 - Jan 15 with 1512 viewsMick_S

Hold your horses. on 15:33 - Jan 13 by dutch

On days like this I dream of cold sherry and oily almonds taken beneath unforgiving blue skies. Do you think I could persuade the management of the Springbok (or whatever it's now called) to stock a bottle for the first game back?

Just add the KP nuts and you are there.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Hold your horses. on 15:23 - Jan 15 with 1339 viewsPinnerPaul

Hold your horses. on 08:08 - Jan 15 by stainrods_elbow

True enough, but we still only managed two goals, two points and another (this time more creditable) Cup exit against the lot of them. The Luton game has given some grounds for cautious optimism, but we now need to start filling the onion bag and put a string of wins and performances together, if Warburton and this team are going to win us over as they need to. We've clearly improved defensively, aided by Dickie's fine development, but our goalscoring has flatlined alarmingly. I do think Charlie might be a catalyst that helps us turn a corner, but he clearly can't do it all on his own. Sooner or later, Dykes, Bonne and Kelman have got to start getting among the goals, and Chair and BOS need to contribute as well. It's a shame the likes of Ball, Willock and Carroll carry so little threat here. If you struggle to score at all, you're looking at a slew of draws and defeats, I'm afraid, and being in games a lot of the time doesn't mean you can't or won't get relegated if most of the fine margins go against you. For me,we're not (yet) the good side that the manager keeps insisting we are, though we're by no means as bad as has sometimes seemed apparent.

16th it is then?

Yes that's mostly fair.

I particularly agree that goals from midfield have been almost non existent.

Individually I expected more from/to see Willock a lot more, hope he can come to the party a bit 2nd half of the season.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024